Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Aiming System Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Aiming System Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Aiming System Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Aiming System Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Aiming System Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Aiming System Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Aiming System Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Aiming System Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Aiming System Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Aiming System Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Aiming System Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Aiming System Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Aiming System Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Aiming System Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Aiming System Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Aiming System Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Aiming System Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Aiming System Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Aiming System Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Aiming System Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Aiming System

Go down 
+2
The Uteen
PCaddict
6 posters
AuthorMessage
PCaddict
Newcomer
PCaddict

Aiming System Empty
PostSubject: Aiming System   Aiming System EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 5:45 pm

This was one of the biggest issues I had with Spore's combat system- You couldn't aim. You just had to click and hope that your creature would attack fast enough, or that the other creature would miss (if you can miss, I can't remember, I haven't played the game in a long time).

So, my idea was, giving some sort of aiming system to the game. This would mostly apply to long range attacks, but it could also work for short range ones, by just letting you turn and move your creature to make it most likely to hit your target.

Accuracy could increase or decrease along with whatever the creature's main sense is, and along with the creature's intelligence. I just think that allowing the player to aim for themselves would make the game easier.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Aiming System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aiming System   Aiming System EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 6:55 am

PCaddict wrote:
This was one of the biggest issues I had with Spore's combat system- You couldn't aim. You just had to click and hope that your creature would attack fast enough, or that the other creature would miss (if you can miss, I can't remember, I haven't played the game in a long time).

So, my idea was, giving some sort of aiming system to the game. This would mostly apply to long range attacks, but it could also work for short range ones, by just letting you turn and move your creature to make it most likely to hit your target.

Accuracy could increase or decrease along with whatever the creature's main sense is, and along with the creature's intelligence. I just think that allowing the player to aim for themselves would make the game easier Wouldn't a Pac-Man based combat system be easier?.

In Spore, I don't think you could miss.

But an aiming system is a good idea, the auto-aiming most games seem to have is silly, it takes all the strategy out of it. In Spore, I'd be hammering the number buttons in combat as fast as I could to get maximum power, which obviously is the wrong way to do combat. It's boring.
So, with aiming, there's strategy: You can attack the legs, meaning you could then safely attack from afar, very defensive; you could be tactical and get the vital organs; or you could take the brutal approach and bonk 'em on the head.
I like this idea, and I don't think the combat system has been talked about much; the calculation of the damage done to the enemy (not a bar, but damage to various body parts), yes, but not how combat actually is done. Thanks for bringing this up.

The method of attack should be through the normal way of moving your limbs (and body) in a way that would injure the opponent. I recall we had an idea for a system in the OE in which you could set up a series of positions through which the creature would move, and this series of motions would be assigned a button (or combination of buttons). I don't know if that has been finalised, but I'd like to mention we need not only positions, but speed, the force put into it, and maybe more specific things, too, like whether this action will stop if there is an obstruction (walking would stop if there is an obstruction, for example, but head-bonking wouldn't, the head in the way of the bonking is supposed to be bonked).
Another important thing is movements which require tools, or movements that work slightly differently if a certain tool is held (like head bonking with a palm would involve slightly different movements if the same goal needed to be achieved with a head-bonking stick. The OE could choose the appropriate movement while the player only needs to press one global head-bonking button.

P.S. With OSX Lion, I can hold letters and get variations, like I hold 'e' and can type: è, é, ê, ë, etc.
Thāt'š håñdÿ, mÿ pürçhæśė ïß ñøw ôffįčîàłłÿ worthwhile.

Oh, and I found the character list, with one coloured symbol that seems to work here: ⛎
To the next post! ⤹↓⇓⇩⇣☟⬇⥥↡⇂⇃⇊ ↧↯⇟⤵
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Aiming System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aiming System   Aiming System EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 12:38 pm

I had a combat concept back in the really old days- it might be around here somewhere.

Back to top Go down
kaosrain
Newcomer
kaosrain

Aiming System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aiming System   Aiming System EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 1:16 pm

How about if its in first person make the mouse look like the object or organ or bone that you attack with
and i think we should make a thread for the combat system in general because we humans want a good combat system in our games

EDIT: Lets try to fuse the systems and then build upon them

Last edited by kaosrain on Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

Aiming System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aiming System   Aiming System EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 3:35 pm

For ranged weaponry, the system is simple: point and shoot, with some "charge up" time for weapons like bows and arrows or miniguns.

For melee weapons, it's worse. I suppose we could have two systems, Uteen's one where you record your moves, map them to keys and then use these moves by pressing the keys, and Kaosrain's one where you can directly control one of your arms. The second system is more dynamical, but might get annoying quickly. The first system also allows more complex moves.
Back to top Go down
kaosrain
Newcomer
kaosrain

Aiming System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aiming System   Aiming System EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 5:42 pm

How exactly would the recording work like?

as for my system in oe you would like put the parts into "slots" and in the fight the mouse moves the limb or organ or something and click to attack and pressing a button woud change the limb or organ or something slot
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Aiming System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aiming System   Aiming System EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 10:53 am

Again, there are two possible ways we can go for in the recording process: either use your system to allow recording simple moves and then combine these simple moves into more complex ones, or do it in the way most animating software does it. The second method will most be easier both for programmers and players, but a lot of care would be required not to end with awkward moves.
Back to top Go down
kaosrain
Newcomer
kaosrain

Aiming System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aiming System   Aiming System EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 4:01 pm

Where would we record the movements?

Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Aiming System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aiming System   Aiming System EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 5:06 pm

Scio wants the OE to be available at anytime, so it might just be packed there. Might also be an independent "editor"
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Aiming System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aiming System   Aiming System EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 12:02 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
Scio wants the OE to be available at anytime, so it might just be packed there. Might also be an independent "editor"
Animations are controlled in the behavior editor. My old idea was to basically animate by pulling joints around, then having the game procedurally determine how others would have to move to get the joints to where they were.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Aiming System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aiming System   Aiming System EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 2:39 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Animations are controlled in the behavior editor. My old idea was to basically animate by pulling joints around, then having the game procedurally determine how others would have to move to get the joints to where they were.

It's been a really long time I have heard anything about the behavior editor, and it's not even on the wiki, so I have just supposed the concept was trashed.

As for the concept of pulling joints around, that's the way most animating software does it. This might have the problem of looking awkward if not enough keyframes are saved. That might be solved by using complex curves and a bit of randomization, but that might be too resource intensive.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Aiming System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aiming System   Aiming System EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 2:23 pm

Will everyone please download the demo for "Mount & Blade."

Basically, that.

It's the single best combat system I've ever seen. For those who don't want to find and download the demo, it uses tiny movements in the mouse to determine the direction of a strike. There are only four positions to strike from, above, left, right, and a forward stab from the middle. You are able to block, but the block button automatically locks on to the nearest threat and perpares a block for the correct position. This means that melee combat is not only fun, inntuitive, and strategic, but it boils it down to only eight animations per weapon, with many animations between weapons being interchangable.

Ranged combat is a standard over-the-shoulder affair, with a charge up time for everything but guns.

DO THIS. Seriously. In terms of ranged combat, this is what most of our players will be used to. In terms of melee combat, you get the most intuitive and easy to use system out there, with minimal animations and a surprising degree of strategy.

Done.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Aiming System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aiming System   Aiming System EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 3:01 pm

This is a good solution, however there is one problem: For unarmed combat (practically the whole time before Awakening), how will the game know wich part of the organism use for the strike? Keep in mind most creatures will not have graspers at this time.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Aiming System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aiming System   Aiming System EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 3:04 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
This is a good solution, however there is one problem: For unarmed combat (practically the whole time before Awakening), how will the game know wich part of the organism use for the strike? Keep in mind most creatures will not have graspers at this time.
Been thinking about that. I think then we would need to catagorize some parts as weapons, and animate from there. Advantage? There only needs to be one animation for bite.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Aiming System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aiming System   Aiming System EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 10:48 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:
Been thinking about that. I think then we would need to catagorize some parts as weapons, and animate from there. Advantage? There only needs to be one animation for bite.
An idea I have is a "strike" option. It's basically just for hitting things. You click on the body part you want to inflict damage with, and you click on what you want to strike at, then we have procedures extend the leg/arm/tentacle/whatever to hit the target. It doesn't require a canned animation and allows for things like fistfights to happen pretty fluidly.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Aiming System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aiming System   Aiming System EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 10:56 pm

~sciocont wrote:
An idea I have is a "strike" option. It's basically just for hitting things. You click on the body part you want to inflict damage with, and you click on what you want to strike at, then we have procedures extend the leg/arm/tentacle/whatever to hit the target. It doesn't require a canned animation and allows for things like fistfights to happen pretty fluidly.
While I like the idea, remember that most people want the mouse to be used exclusively for aiming, and this could interphere with that. It also seems a little to complex for spur-of-the-moment action. I for one would get desperate if I had multiple actions required to defend myself.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Aiming System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aiming System   Aiming System EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 8:48 am

Tenebrarum wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
While I like the idea, remember that most people want the mouse to be used exclusively for aiming, and this could interphere with that. It also seems a little to complex for spur-of-the-moment action. I for one would get desperate if I had multiple actions required to defend myself.
We could aim with the mouse, but select the body-part (or body parts, for two attacks at once) with a keyboard shortcut. Again, which do what would either be pre-set (not good with multiple of the same body part) or defined in the editor.

But which editor are we actually going to be using for defining these shortcuts? It seems assumed to be the organism editor, but I think the behaviour editor would be more suitable for this... It's how it behaves, rather than how it is made...
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Aiming System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aiming System   Aiming System EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 9:40 am

The Uteen wrote:
But which editor are we actually going to be using for defining these shortcuts? It seems assumed to be the organism editor, but I think the behaviour editor would be more suitable for this... It's how it behaves, rather than how it is made...

Uteen... Behaivior is contained within the OE...

Anyways, it anyone still up for my proposal?
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Aiming System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aiming System   Aiming System EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 10:15 am

Tenebrarum wrote:

But Scio just told me it's in the behavior editor.. I'm really confused now.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Aiming System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aiming System   Aiming System EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 10:30 am

Commander Keen wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:

I thought we merged the two?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Aiming System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aiming System   Aiming System EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 10:50 am

Tenebrarum wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:

Behavior is a tab within the OE and TE.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Aiming System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aiming System   Aiming System EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 12:54 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:

What I thought.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Aiming System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aiming System   Aiming System EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 8:54 am

Tenebrarum wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:

What I thought.
I checked the wiki before I posted that, actually, there's no mention of the behaviour part to the OE... Or the standalone behaviour editor. So I guessed from memory and the name 'behaviour editor' it was standalone. Not sure about in the wiki page of the TE, but the OE page definitely needs updating over there.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Aiming System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aiming System   Aiming System EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 10:50 am

It shall be done.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Aiming System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aiming System   Aiming System Empty

Back to top Go down