Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Organism Action/Reaction Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Organism Action/Reaction Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Organism Action/Reaction Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Organism Action/Reaction Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Organism Action/Reaction Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Organism Action/Reaction Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Organism Action/Reaction Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Organism Action/Reaction Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Organism Action/Reaction Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Organism Action/Reaction Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Organism Action/Reaction Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Organism Action/Reaction Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Organism Action/Reaction Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Organism Action/Reaction Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Organism Action/Reaction Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Organism Action/Reaction Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Organism Action/Reaction Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Organism Action/Reaction Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Organism Action/Reaction Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Organism Action/Reaction Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Organism Action/Reaction

Go down 
+4
Commander Keen
Invader
Djohaal
~sciocont
8 posters
AuthorMessage
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Organism Action/Reaction Empty
PostSubject: Organism Action/Reaction   Organism Action/Reaction EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 10:48 pm

Reading through a thread, I realized there's something important we haven't talked about- how exactly NPC AI will react to things. We know that it will react according to its AI, but what's going to trigger what and how will we set up our triggers? How will an organism react to someything it hasn't been programmed to react to? This is probably a bigger programming question than gameplay question, but it's one I'd like to have an answer to. Hopefully Bashi will see this and fill us in with his knowledge, but until that rouge savior blows us away with beautiful technical speak, I'll put up my idea for it, which is most likely quite flawed.

Basically, each behavior that you can set up in the AI editor has values assigned to it. I believe we could classify them as simply positive and negative, but we probably need to go farther in depth than that. Things you do in the game will also have positive and negative values assigned to it, and the magnitude of the values determines the reactions of orther organisms.

Not the best or most coherent concept, I'm aware, but i just needed to get discussion going on this.
Back to top Go down
Djohaal
Learner
Djohaal

PostSubject: Re: Organism Action/Reaction   Organism Action/Reaction EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 11:05 pm

Actually an even better question. How will the creature engine handle the animation data? Will it dump it into scratch-data which can be read or gen it on the fly? Because considering the complexity we are aiming to, it might be slow to calculate on the fly.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

PostSubject: Re: Organism Action/Reaction   Organism Action/Reaction EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 2:22 am

If something happens that it wasn't programmed to react to, wouldn't it just get scared and flee?
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Organism Action/Reaction   Organism Action/Reaction EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 4:47 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finite-state_machine

It's used in many games, including the best combined arms military simulation out there, Arma 2. If we can somehow manage to implement an intuitive method to change it for the Behaviour editor, and also add in based on player's actions in Org. mode, then we would be pretty much done.
Back to top Go down
Theslimy
Newcomer
Theslimy

PostSubject: Re: Organism Action/Reaction   Organism Action/Reaction EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 8:49 pm

well what if your organism is going into another species' territory? will the others attack? will you start catching the scent of territorial marks and the game will warn you? or will the others just abandon their nest? all of these possibilities. oh! and if there is pollinated content (like Organisms you made in a past game appear in your current game) can you set their actions reactions without using the AI editor? (that thing is not understandable)

I know you can answer these Q's because you're smarter than me
Back to top Go down
windsaver

windsaver

PostSubject: Re: Organism Action/Reaction   Organism Action/Reaction EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 11:36 am

In real life different species, especially among carnivores are very territorial even around their own. That would be an interesting behaviour, which would possibly prompt inter species evolution. This has been seen in real life especially by looking at lions which have around 12-15 sub-species with somewhat minor differences.

Generally herbivores tend to be much more passive towards other species but still wary of their presence in their territory. Predators are often, as would be normal, avoided by any herbivorous species.

Normally if a species is encountered with something unfamiliar it will, in most cases consider it hostile and thus dislike it. But this could create an almost impossible world where everything hates you. Sometimes they become accepting and move on, other times the hardly notice its presence

Regarding Theslimy, I would think that either an in game warning, sound or possibly even a movement/animation could prompt you to knowing you are in a bad place. Species behaviour for the sake f simplicity would probably be simplified to three categories which could be split further down

The three being Run, Attack which is actually Defend and Pass. These could therfore ifthe developer so wish be split into Run-Retreat, Run-Avoid or Run-Stealth-Attack, just like attacking could be a form of intimidation before the species runs off. So many possibilities, but perhaps slightly complicated.

I would say the AI editor would probably be the most logical way to set the actions as random occuring actions could cause problems of have an undesired affect[b]
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

PostSubject: Re: Organism Action/Reaction   Organism Action/Reaction EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 2:40 am

The action towards an unknown species would likely be similar to the actions between the same organism and a similar looking species. For example, most types of fish would be universally feared by something that looks like a bird, regardless of whether its encountered that particular species or not.

As for behaviour towards a completely foreign species, perhaps fear or ambivalence would be the default reaction depending on the timidness or dominance of the species.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Organism Action/Reaction   Organism Action/Reaction EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 4:23 pm

GamerXA wrote:
The action towards an unknown species would likely be similar to the actions between the same organism and a similar looking species. For example, most types of fish would be universally feared by fearful of? something that looks like a bird, regardless of whether its encountered that particular species or not.

As for behaviour towards a completely foreign species, perhaps fear or ambivalence would be the default reaction depending on the timidness or dominance of the species.
I think this idea would work quite well.

For species that are entirely new, then maybe an average reaction to all known species could be taken: a predator mostly eats others or is hostile to competition, so it could experiment eating it and be quick to attack if threatened; herbivore would usually be accepting to other herbivores, or fearful of predators, so it would be timid to new species; etc.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Organism Action/Reaction   Organism Action/Reaction Empty

Back to top Go down

Organism Action/Reaction
Page 1 of 1