Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Organ physiology Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Organ physiology Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Organ physiology Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Organ physiology Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Organ physiology Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Organ physiology Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Organ physiology Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Organ physiology Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Organ physiology Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Organ physiology Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Organ physiology Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Organ physiology Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Organ physiology Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Organ physiology Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Organ physiology Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Organ physiology Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Organ physiology Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Organ physiology Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Organ physiology Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Organ physiology Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Organ physiology

Go down 
+5
ADMIN
The Uteen
~sciocont
DragonEye4
Djohaal
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Djohaal
Learner
Djohaal

Organ physiology Empty
PostSubject: Organ physiology   Organ physiology EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 9:27 pm

Just some thoughts, for the organ editor.

Respiratory:

Trachea volume to lung volume ratio should be important, because air in the trachea is considereed "dead space" which does no gas exchange, so a lung with the shortest trachea possible would be most interesting.

Cardio: I think the main point here is cardiovascular capacity. Bigger hearts consume more base energy, but allow more sprint time?

Brain: A big problem. Relatively large poritons of the brain are dedicated to controlling movements and understanding the senses. So the more limbs you add (and the better appendages) the more gray substance you'd need just to control them, not to mention the extra required for sapience. Also gyrii.
As a real life example, I read once that octopi lack propioception. That means that while they can feel their tentacles and move them actively, they have no darn idea where they are in relation to the body. They'd need bigger brains to do that.
Back to top Go down
DragonEye4
Regular
DragonEye4

Organ physiology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organ physiology   Organ physiology EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 9:29 pm

Djohaal wrote:

Trachea volume to lung volume ratio should be important, because air in the trachea is considereed "dead space" which does no gas exchange, so a lung with the shortest trachea possible would be most interesting.
What about with Gills, or other methods of gas exchange than just lungs?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Organ physiology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organ physiology   Organ physiology EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 9:45 pm

DragonEye4 wrote:
Djohaal wrote:

What about with Gills, or other methods of gas exchange than just lungs?
Gills are very efficient because all of their surface area is devoted to gas exchange and there's no big tubes leading to them.

What effects can these really have on the OE though? The organs tab right now is pretty simple, but since the organs will be inside anyway, we don't need to paty a whole lot of attention to them.
Back to top Go down
Djohaal
Learner
Djohaal

Organ physiology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organ physiology   Organ physiology EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 9:51 pm

unless it is going to simulate air demand and etc, there's no point to this.
Brain size does has a point though. You'd need a bigger head (or somewhere else to hold the brain) to have enough mental faculties...
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Organ physiology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organ physiology   Organ physiology EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 1:32 pm

And remember heat - the brain gets hot, it must be able to get all the excess heat out, that's part why many creatures have heads - Well, also to make most of the senses in one place, higher up, and closer to the brain for faster transferral of information to the brain.
Back to top Go down
Djohaal
Learner
Djohaal

Organ physiology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organ physiology   Organ physiology EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 1:54 pm

The Uteen wrote:
And remember heat - the brain gets hot, it must be able to get all the excess heat out, that's part why many creatures have heads - Well, also to make most of the senses in one place, higher up, and closer to the brain for faster transferral of information to the brain.

Implementing physiological heat management would be a wee bit too much I think...
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Organ physiology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organ physiology   Organ physiology EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 2:04 pm

Djohaal wrote:
The Uteen wrote:

Implementing physiological heat management would be a wee bit too much I think...

I still think we need some sort of tendency to evolve heads...
Back to top Go down
ADMIN
Admin

Organ physiology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organ physiology   Organ physiology EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 7:10 pm

The Uteen wrote:
Djohaal wrote:
The Uteen wrote:

It's called cephalization- sensory organs and processors get collected towards the front of the creature so that it can better sense what it's going to. I'm not sure how we would encourage it, though, what with an indeterminate auto-evo system.
Back to top Go down
https://thrivegame.canadaboard.net
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

Organ physiology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organ physiology   Organ physiology EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 4:35 pm

Simple - creatures that move forward need to be able to sense what's in front of them. More mobile creature = more cephalization. More "traditional" sense (sight, hearing, etc," will also tend to get cephalized, though hearing/vibratory organs could potentially be anywhere.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Organ physiology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organ physiology   Organ physiology EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 3:24 pm

I agree that we'll need a few base settings that can be edited in critters' organs to show developement, but not too many. Also: Locational Damage.

So, I'd say the biggies here are:

1. Digestion, easily solved with the current OE by adding things like locational musculature and acids.

2. Brain, hardest one here, as has been said. Question: Does anyone know if having multiple nerve centers for specific purposes scattered around the body is possible?

3. Cardio, This might be tricky, as a whole slew of factors like base material of blood, number/size of lung(s), Kind of lungs(Book, Sack, etc.), kind of heart, heart size/number, Number of valves in heart, etc. come into play.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

Organ physiology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organ physiology   Organ physiology EmptySat Jan 01, 2011 1:05 pm

Rex, for number three, I want to say yes. I'm pretty sure there are some invertibrates which have separate nervous clusters, but those do not equal brain.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Organ physiology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organ physiology   Organ physiology EmptySat Jan 01, 2011 2:38 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
I agree that we'll need a few base settings that can be edited in critters' organs to show developement, but not too many. Also: Locational Damage.

So, I'd say the biggies here are:

1. Digestion, easily solved with the current OE by adding things like locational musculature and acids.

2. Brain, hardest one here, as has been said. Question: Does anyone know if having multiple nerve centers for specific purposes scattered around the body is possible?

3. Cardio, This might be tricky, as a whole slew of factors like base material of blood, number/size of lung(s), Kind of lungs(Book, Sack, etc.), kind of heart, heart size/number, Number of valves in heart, etc. come into play.
We have organ systems in the OE, you know.

Yes, a creature could have spread out processors, and it has its pros and cons
Pros
-if one gets taken out , the whole creature doesn't die
-processors can take up less space
-processors can be nearer to what they are supposed to control

Cons
-slower reflexes because it takes time for signals to go in between them
-more complex nerve network
-if the creature is cephalized, lots of the processors won't be near its sensory organs.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

Organ physiology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organ physiology   Organ physiology EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 2:11 pm

I've heard male mantisess (spelling?) have a second brain, not used much until the moment the female bites off the head of the male. The male survives several hours without the head, that's pretty good for an insect.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

Organ physiology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organ physiology   Organ physiology EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 7:02 pm

Mantises? I hadn't heard. I assumed that was the same thing as a chicken running about with it's head cut off.

Separate hearts has some terra example... which I can't remember atm but will come to me eventually.
Another con of seperate ganglions (brain bits) is that blood flow to many areas of the body needs to drastically be increased. (And there would be multiple blood-brain barriers, but that's getting technical.) The economy of location usually sticks all the brain together unless there's an overwhelming advantage to splitting it up.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

Organ physiology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organ physiology   Organ physiology EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 5:39 pm

Well, the second brain is just backup, it isn't actually used until the head's bit off.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

Organ physiology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organ physiology   Organ physiology EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 12:50 am

hence why they don't live much longer, I guess. However, I know there are separated ganglion masses in some other invertibrate which are all used together... If only I could remember what creature it was...
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Organ physiology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organ physiology   Organ physiology EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 2:44 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
Well, the second brain is just backup, it isn't actually used until the head's bit off.

I watched a video about this... During mating, the female bites the males head off, but the body keep mating, and then dies. It was a school video, I don't watch strange creatures mating for a hobby! Educational, though, there was a video about strange mating, and one of strange natural defences. And at the end it said humans are strange because we don't have any physical natural defences. That's right, YOU are strange! Haw haw! On the subject of schools, mine is starting again tomorrow.

I'm glad that the head doesn't get bitten off in the mating of every species... I like my head, and I doubt it's tasty... Maybe Mantises are zombies, eating the males brains?

Also, back on topic, well, more on topic, anyway, how come brains are usually on the front/top of a creature? Brains seem to be in the head, which is raised off the ground, or in the front if the head isn't raised. Anyone know why this is?
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Organ physiology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organ physiology   Organ physiology EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 5:30 pm

The Uteen wrote:
Also, back on topic, well, more on topic, anyway, how come brains are usually on the front/top of a creature? Brains seem to be in the head, which is raised off the ground, or in the front if the head isn't raised. Anyone know why this is?
You want the brain close to all it's major sensors, and you want to have the sensors in unobstructed areas to gain the most/best information possible.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

Organ physiology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organ physiology   Organ physiology EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 10:16 pm

1) Economy of location - group all sensors/ganglions close together (with the exception of touch, but that's pretty much necessarily all over the body.)
2) Economy of supply - running a brain requires a lot of blood. So it makes sense to have greater blood flow to just one region. And it's easier to protect it up there, too.
3) Cephalization - most senses tend to be concentrated in the direction that the creature is tending to go.
That's why a head.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Organ physiology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organ physiology   Organ physiology EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 11:06 am

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
1) Economy of location - group all sensors/ganglions close together (with the exception of touch, but that's pretty much necessarily all over the body.)
2) Economy of supply - running a brain requires a lot of blood. So it makes sense to have greater blood flow to just one region. And it's easier to protect it up there, too.
3) Cephalization - most senses tend to be concentrated in the direction that the creature is tending to go.
That's why a head.

I feel stupid not noticing the senses thing.

So a herbivore could have sight on its head, and ears on its back to hear predators... That would be a reason for multiple brains. A bad one, but a reason.

Also, organisms could have extremely powerful touch in one area, maybe 2x or more the amount of nerves we have on our fingers, and enclosed in a feeler or skin sack of some sort. A touch-based body part. Could be used in an environment with very tiny organisms or something, that need very sensitive touch to feel.
Back to top Go down
Deathbite42
Regular

Organ physiology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organ physiology   Organ physiology EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 1:33 pm

ADMIN wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
Djohaal wrote:
The Uteen wrote:

It's called cephalization- sensory organs and processors get collected towards the front of the creature so that it can better sense what it's going to. I'm not sure how we would encourage it, though, what with an indeterminate auto-evo system.
"Indeterminate autoevo"? NO! Have you seen THRIVE wiki? It says that would be disastrous!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Organ physiology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organ physiology   Organ physiology Empty

Back to top Go down

Organ physiology
Page 1 of 1