Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Breakdown- moving through stages. Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Breakdown- moving through stages. Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Breakdown- moving through stages. Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Breakdown- moving through stages. Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Breakdown- moving through stages. Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Breakdown- moving through stages. Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Breakdown- moving through stages. Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Breakdown- moving through stages. Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Breakdown- moving through stages. Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Breakdown- moving through stages. Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Breakdown- moving through stages. Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Breakdown- moving through stages. Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Breakdown- moving through stages. Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Breakdown- moving through stages. Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Breakdown- moving through stages. Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Breakdown- moving through stages. Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Breakdown- moving through stages. Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Breakdown- moving through stages. Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Breakdown- moving through stages. Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Breakdown- moving through stages. Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Breakdown- moving through stages.

Go down 
+19
Nimbal
MitochondriaBox
WilliamstheJohn
Tarpy
Daniferrito
NickTheNick
untrustedlife
Jimexmore
Inca
Tenebrarum
US_of_Alaska
GamerXA
Noitulove
The Uteen
Slathazer
roadkillguy
mike roberts
Invader
~sciocont
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Breakdown- moving through stages. Empty
PostSubject: Breakdown- moving through stages.   Breakdown- moving through stages. EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 4:43 pm

I think moving through stages should be governed by a "milestone" process. As soon as a player does something that is a "milestone" they are considered to have proceeded into a stage. Certain milestones trigger certain stages, and stages could theoretically be skipped or put out of order.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

PostSubject: Re: Breakdown- moving through stages.   Breakdown- moving through stages. EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 4:58 pm

~sciocont wrote:
I think moving through stages should be governed by a "milestone" process. As soon as a player does something that is a "milestone" they are considered to have proceeded into a stage. Certain milestones trigger certain stages, and stages could theoretically be skipped or put out of order.

Yes, but we should still DEFINATELY avoid cutscenes and the like. If this gets enough positive feedback I'll edit all of my threads about the gameplay stages with milestones that would trigger them (and cause you to return to a past stage).
Back to top Go down
mike roberts
Learner

PostSubject: Re: Breakdown- moving through stages.   Breakdown- moving through stages. EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 6:07 pm

i my self would like to see the possibility of staying in one stage for as long as u want does that seem possible
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Breakdown- moving through stages.   Breakdown- moving through stages. EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 6:55 pm

mike roberts wrote:
i my self would like to see the possibility of staying in one stage for as long as u want does that seem possible
Yeah of course.
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: Breakdown- moving through stages.   Breakdown- moving through stages. EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 7:24 pm

A fadeout to black and a confirm box go a long way...
Back to top Go down
mike roberts
Learner

PostSubject: Re: Breakdown- moving through stages.   Breakdown- moving through stages. EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 8:27 pm

thast awsome
Back to top Go down
Slathazer
Newcomer
Slathazer

PostSubject: Re: Breakdown- moving through stages.   Breakdown- moving through stages. EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 10:23 am

roadkillguy wrote:

that seems too "spore-ish" to me. It should be an organic progression for the player, not aspiring to reach the next "level" like in spore.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Breakdown- moving through stages.   Breakdown- moving through stages. EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 12:02 pm

Slathazer wrote:
roadkillguy wrote:

that seems too "spore-ish" to me. It should be an organic progression for the player, not aspiring to reach the next "level" like in spore.
QFT, smooth transitions, as if all stages are as one, after all, they are!
Back to top Go down
Noitulove
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Breakdown- moving through stages.   Breakdown- moving through stages. EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 12:08 pm

roadkillguy wrote:

Long.

But not as long as a smooth transition.
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

PostSubject: Re: Breakdown- moving through stages.   Breakdown- moving through stages. EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 5:36 pm

I think we should just slowly 'ease' the player into another stage by slowly giving them access to the features. For example:

When the Cell Stage Player's Organism grows in size, it slowly gains access to evolving different organs and features (such as thicker skin) in Auto-Evo. When the player would gain control of Strategy Mode tools would be as the Pack or Hive they're in gains more complex organizational behaviour. From there technology would keep advancing.

A drop in the area that gained the player's access to a certain stage's tools would cause them to slowly revert to a lower stage.
Back to top Go down
Slathazer
Newcomer
Slathazer

PostSubject: Re: Breakdown- moving through stages.   Breakdown- moving through stages. EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 8:06 pm

The Uteen wrote:
Slathazer wrote:
roadkillguy wrote:

QFT, smooth transitions, as if all stages are as one, after all, they are!

wait... what does QFT mean?

I believe it should be one stage, no "levels" or messages explaining the stages. the stages should be general guidelines for the player at best. I agree.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Breakdown- moving through stages.   Breakdown- moving through stages. EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 11:43 am

Slathazer wrote:
wait... what does QFT mean?

I believe it should be one stage, no "levels" or messages explaining the stages. the stages should be general guidelines for the player at best. I agree.
QFT - "Quoted For Truth" ("qft"), a label originally used on Internet forums when someone quotes a debated statement, thereby ensuring that the original statement cannot be edited or deleted by the person being quoted. Later, used merely as a indication of agreement or support with another message.

And I like the guidelines idea, that was how I imagined it working.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Breakdown- moving through stages.   Breakdown- moving through stages. EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 8:17 pm

Slowly easing the player into the controls of the next stage makes sense. Of course, the unlocking of Strategy Mode might be a bit hard to slowly implement...
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Breakdown- moving through stages.   Breakdown- moving through stages. EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 9:02 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Slowly easing the player into the controls of the next stage makes sense. Of course, the unlocking of Strategy Mode might be a bit hard to slowly implement...

My thought was that Strat. Mode would always be unlocked, but that until sapience you'd only ever have control of one guy at a time, making it useless.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Breakdown- moving through stages.   Breakdown- moving through stages. EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 9:11 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:

My thought was that Strat. Mode would always be unlocked, but that until sapience you'd only ever have control of one guy at a time, making it useless.
Okay... I guess that makes sense. And that would allow you to use it to control hive-minded creatures as well, right?
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Breakdown- moving through stages.   Breakdown- moving through stages. EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 9:36 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:

Okay... I guess that makes sense. And that would allow you to use it to control hive-minded creatures as well, right?
Yup. Hive minds have good communication, so Strat. Mode would work for them.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Breakdown- moving through stages.   Breakdown- moving through stages. EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 9:39 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:

Yup. Hive minds have good communication, so Strat. Mode would work for them.
I think that complex communication in other creatures (humans got spoken language) would allow control of the rest of their tribe/family pack/whatever. Deal?
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Breakdown- moving through stages.   Breakdown- moving through stages. EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 9:50 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
I think that complex communication in other creatures (humans got spoken language) would allow control of the rest of their tribe/family pack/whatever. Deal?

My thoughts exactly.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Breakdown- moving through stages.   Breakdown- moving through stages. EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 5:49 am

Back on to the real topic of moving through stages (we seem to have drifted onto strategy mode) I want to talk about strategy mode. (Yay for no change )

Moving through the stages unicellular to multicellular, I think the idea was to get enough gluey things that are in the concept and the cell sticks to other cells forming one being. My question is if you did this in strategy mode would it and all the controlled cells became stuck together, would it mean you switch to organism mode when they stick together? With the loading as it switches modes this doesn't seem a very smooth transition.

Wait, I have an answer... If my thoughts are reasonable accurate at this moment... (In both modes) Is it only possible for two cells to stick together, because then it is multicellular and can evolve from there? So in strategy your cell cluster moves towards a gluey thing populated area, they form pairs, and you're in multicellular and still strategy mode, controlling lots of two-celled blobby things.
Is this right, or if not is it a good idea?

P.S. What a way to bring the discussions together...
Back to top Go down
Inca
Regular
Inca

PostSubject: Re: Breakdown- moving through stages.   Breakdown- moving through stages. EmptyWed Jul 03, 2013 10:01 pm

Given that we seem to releasing this stage by stage, (getting this Microbe section done atm), and some of the later stages may be to hardware intensive to run the entire game considering how much detail is in each section. We might have to split the game into two or three parts, and allow the player to migrate their save forward.

Or do you think that the game would not be so huge file-wise to need this sort of thing?

And Uteen, that would make sense to me.

Last edited by Inca on Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : changed one or two parts into two or three parts)
Back to top Go down
http://soundcloud.com/inca_uk
Jimexmore
Newcomer
Jimexmore

PostSubject: Re: Breakdown- moving through stages.   Breakdown- moving through stages. EmptyWed Jul 03, 2013 10:31 pm

Inca wrote:
Given that we seem to releasing this stage by stage, (getting this Microbe section done atm), and some of the later stages may be to hardware intensive to run the entire game considering how much detail is in each section. We might have to split the game into one or two parts, and allow the player to migrate their save forward.

Or do you think that the game would not be so huge file-wise to need this sort of thing?

And Uteen, that would make sense to me.
QFT, Since we have 5/6 stages We need to break it up into sections but might be cheating thou and unfair maybe the old "2 disks" format should work if we use the same files , if only
Back to top Go down
untrustedlife
Regular
untrustedlife

PostSubject: Re: Breakdown- moving through stages.   Breakdown- moving through stages. EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 1:17 am

Try not to necro-post these threads are three years old.
Back to top Go down
Inca
Regular
Inca

PostSubject: Re: Breakdown- moving through stages.   Breakdown- moving through stages. EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 6:20 am

Ah sorry. I thought it would be better post in this thread which seemed relevant rather than making a new one.
Back to top Go down
http://soundcloud.com/inca_uk
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Breakdown- moving through stages.   Breakdown- moving through stages. EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 4:14 pm

If that's the case, then that's fine, and it would be good to discuss it instead of brushing it off. Could a programmer tell us about the practicality of making it all one game as opposed to separate ones with save uploading?
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Breakdown- moving through stages.   Breakdown- moving through stages. EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 7:42 pm

One of the intentions was to make the transitions seamlesly, no? If we make the player have to run diferent programs to play diferent stages would totally break that.

The old multiple disks format existed because some games were just too big for the current storage devices. We are not even distributing the program in any physical format, so that is unneeded.

Doing diferent programs for diferent stages would mean either rewriting the base engine again (for which i'm not in favor) or having to copy it into the new programs, actualy taking more space than needed and agraviating the problem instead of solving it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Breakdown- moving through stages.   Breakdown- moving through stages. Empty

Back to top Go down

Breakdown- moving through stages.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next