Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
cities after space mode Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
cities after space mode Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
cities after space mode Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
cities after space mode Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
cities after space mode Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
cities after space mode Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
cities after space mode Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
cities after space mode Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
cities after space mode Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
cities after space mode Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
cities after space mode Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
cities after space mode Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
cities after space mode Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
cities after space mode Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
cities after space mode Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
cities after space mode Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
cities after space mode Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
cities after space mode Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
cities after space mode Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
cities after space mode Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

cities after space mode

Go down 
+8
Holomanga
NickTheNick
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Darkgamma
Tenebrarum
~sciocont
The Uteen
bill2505
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
bill2505
Learner

cities after space mode Empty
PostSubject: cities after space mode   cities after space mode EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 1:45 pm

what will happen in your cities when you proceed to the space stage. will there is going to be a seamless transition between a planet and the space (like infinitive quest for earth)
after you enter space will you be able to build cities in another planet. will you be able to build a factory and such building in space( i thing i know that answer but i will ask anyway). will you be able to command spaceships(fleet)

(i have read the wikki)
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: cities after space mode   cities after space mode EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 2:09 pm

bill2505 wrote:
what will happen in your cities when you proceed to the space stage. will there is going to be a seamless transition between a planet and the space (like infinitive quest for earth)
after you enter space will you be able to build cities in another planet. will you be able to build a factory and such building in space( i thing i know that answer but i will ask anyway). will you be able to command spaceships(fleet)

(i have read the wikki)

1. Nothing will happen to them
2. Yes, it will be seamless, hopefully every stage advancement will be.
3. Yes, you can build cities anywhere you want, as long as people can survive long enough to build them and have a supply of materials. The player should really make it in a habitable area, though, or have some sort of life support.
4. Yes, just make sure it is airtight, has life support mechanisms, and has a supply of food. And ideally, you should put some loos in there, too.
5. Yes, go into Strategy Mode and you can control multiple vehicles/organisms.
Back to top Go down
bill2505
Learner

PostSubject: Re: cities after space mode   cities after space mode EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 2:22 pm

The Uteen wrote:
bill2505 wrote:

(i have read the wikki)

1. Nothing will happen to them
2. Yes, it will be seamless, hopefully every stage advancement will be.
3. Yes, you can build cities anywhere you want, as long as people can survive long enough to build them and have a supply of materials. The player should really make it in a habitable area, though, or have some sort of life support.
4. Yes, just make sure it is airtight, has life support mechanisms, and has a supply of food. And ideally, you should put some loos in there, too.
5. Yes, go into Strategy Mode and you can control multiple vehicles/organisms.
this is going to be the greatesst game.

are there is going to be terraforming
what about underwater cities
will you use Newtonian physics
thanks for the answers

Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: cities after space mode   cities after space mode EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 5:40 pm

Underwater cities are possible, god tools for terraforming will be available. As for physics, we'll try to keep the accurate and simple, so yes, most of it will be newtonian.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: cities after space mode   cities after space mode EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 6:25 pm

Also note: Non God-Tool terraforming will be possible, but painfully slow.
Back to top Go down
bill2505
Learner

PostSubject: Re: cities after space mode   cities after space mode EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 6:44 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
and very expensive .because for me at least god tools is like cheating so i would want a another way
Back to top Go down
Darkgamma
Learner
Darkgamma

PostSubject: Re: cities after space mode   cities after space mode EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 7:14 pm

bill2505 wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:
and very expensive .because for me at least god tools is like cheating so i would want a another way
And you'd get a large bill to pay =D
I personally believe that God tools should be laughably expensive, but be worth the fairytale piles of cash in the long run.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: cities after space mode   cities after space mode EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 7:53 pm

bill2505 wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:
Actually they shouldn't be really that expensive. I mean, right now our best chances for terraforming mars is just transporting lichans (Lichons?) to it's polar regions, then gradually working up from there. Not that expensive.
Back to top Go down
bill2505
Learner

PostSubject: Re: cities after space mode   cities after space mode EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 8:05 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
bill2505 wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:
Actually they shouldn't be really that expensive. I mean, right now our best chances for terraforming mars is just transporting lichans (Lichons?) to it's polar regions, then gradually working up from there. Not that expensive.
when i mean expensive i mean so much expensive to stop the player from creating many colonies very early in the game(this is realistic too. ).

first of all we must define what we mean with terraforming .first terraforming in it actuall meaning is to make the ground more flat.that should nt be expencive. the other(to make non terran planets livable should be a bit expensive
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: cities after space mode   cities after space mode EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 10:34 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
bill2505 wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:
Lichen. It's actually still incredibly expensive, considering shipping costs + gargantuan amounts of resources + monitoring resources + making sure everything goes as planned. And that cycle repeats for each new thing you want to put in.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: cities after space mode   cities after space mode EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 10:42 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:
bill2505 wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:
Lichen. It's actually still incredibly expensive, considering shipping costs + gargantuan amounts of resources + monitoring resources + making sure everything goes as planned. And that cycle repeats for each new thing you want to put in.
Comparatively it's cheap. It's little more expensive then a regular old colony is my point.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: cities after space mode   cities after space mode EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 12:48 pm

Darkgamma wrote:
I personally believe that God tools should be laughably expensive, but be worth the fairytale piles of cash in the long run.

God tools are ascended god machines, so a god machine will have to be made for each group of god tools to get them all. And we will probably have just under ten groups.

These god machines would be huge, almost the size of a moon, and will be extremely complicated. Creating one will be very tough, tougher than a dyson sphere (they are bigger, but a lot simpler).

Creating and ascending one will be very, very difficult, ascending all of them will be that times <10.

The benefits of god machines is that they are equivalents of god tools, and can be used anywhere. The only difference is they need an energy supply. Before god machines, they would just be something realistic. You could terraform a planet, but it would be much more complicated, and probably would involve a tech made of very advanced and numerous FPs.
Back to top Go down
bill2505
Learner

PostSubject: Re: cities after space mode   cities after space mode EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 1:02 pm

will your city if its very advanced in space will look like this http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100115192304/starwars/images/1/17/Coruscant-AoTCW.jpg
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: cities after space mode   cities after space mode EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 1:37 pm

bill2505 wrote:
will your city if its very advanced in space will look like this http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100115192304/starwars/images/1/17/Coruscant-AoTCW.jpg

Possibly, but that doesn't seem very realistic, when compared with current cities. Generally when cities expand, they so it in all directions from a central point/line.

That might not be a city, but in god machine times, there could be custom-made mansions that contain cities, designed to look cool from space.
Back to top Go down
bill2505
Learner

PostSubject: Re: cities after space mode   cities after space mode EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 2:24 pm

The Uteen wrote:
bill2505 wrote:

Possibly, but that doesn't seem very realistic, when compared with current cities. Generally when cities expand, they so it in all directions from a central point/line.

That might not be a city, but in god machine times, there could be custom-made mansions that contain cities, designed to look cool from space.
my point was not to look exactly like this but if your city is pretty advanced with huge building they will be visible from space
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: cities after space mode   cities after space mode EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 9:50 am

bill2505 wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
bill2505 wrote:

my point was not to look exactly like this but if your city is pretty advanced with huge building they will be visible from space
Well, if your city is big enough, it should be visible from space. The planet would have to be super-auto-evoed from quite a distance... Moons would have to be slow-mo-super-auto-evoing all the time you are on the planet, too, in case the life changes the surface. That'll slow down things a bit.

Oh, and can I point out the distances between planets should be fairly realistic. Not like Spore, where every planet's surface is visible from your home planet. Other planets should just look like stars in the sky in Thrive, from the surface of a planet, just like here on Earth.

So, guys? Would a moon be slow-mo-super-auto-evoing all the time you are on a planet? If not, that'd stink. If so, that'd stink. The name slow-mo-super-auto-evo stinks. Maybe it should be orbital-auto-evo.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: cities after space mode   cities after space mode EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 5:50 pm

Basically, the rule for auto evo is that if you can see it, it will be affected. If you can't see it, it doesn't exist. Auto evo works on a quantum sysyem.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: cities after space mode   cities after space mode EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 1:25 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Basically, the rule for auto evo is that if you can see it, it will be affected. If you can't see it, it doesn't exist. Auto evo works on a quantum sysyem.
What about if you can only see it through a telescope? Would evolution on Mars be simulated to us Earthians, for example?
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: cities after space mode   cities after space mode EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 5:22 pm

I'm assuming that, due to the goldilocks zone, there's not going to be too many systems with multiple habitable planets/moons.... telescopes have been around for a very long time, in terra terms, but we haven't had any powerful enough to see any possibilities of life until fairly recently, when we've reached space anyway. I'd say that near-neighbors are going to be "out of sight, out of mind" for most of your species' history.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: cities after space mode   cities after space mode EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 10:34 pm

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
I'm assuming that, due to the goldilocks zone, there's not going to be too many systems with multiple habitable planets/moons.... telescopes have been around for a very long time, in terra terms, but we haven't had any powerful enough to see any possibilities of life until fairly recently, when we've reached space anyway. I'd say that near-neighbors are going to be "out of sight, out of mind" for most of your species' history.
Maybe.
Maybe.

To be honest, that would drive me totally insane. Yeah, it'd be realistic, but we should sacrifice that for playability. We should probably give the player one or two planets terraformed more-easily-than-most, as a way to give them a rung to stand on as they start peeking out into space for the first time.

Also: Please take the fermi paradox and burn it in an emergency intelligence incinerator. It's depressing enough in the real world, let alone Thrive.
Back to top Go down
bill2505
Learner

PostSubject: Re: cities after space mode   cities after space mode EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 6:13 am

Tenebrarum wrote:
Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
Maybe.
Maybe.

To be honest, that would drive me totally insane. Yeah, it'd be realistic, but we should sacrifice that for playability. We should probably give the player one or two planets terraformed more-easily-than-most, as a way to give them a rung to stand on as they start peeking out into space for the first time.

Also: Please take the fermi paradox and burn it in an emergency intelligence incinerator. It's depressing enough in the real world, let alone Thrive.
i strongly agree with you.infinitive quest for earth has done something like this.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: cities after space mode   cities after space mode EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 10:16 pm

The Uteen wrote:
These god machines would be huge, almost the size of a moon, and will be extremely complicated.

"Thats no moon..."

Could you make a Death Star of sorts?

(Sorry to revive an old thread)
Back to top Go down
Holomanga
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: cities after space mode   cities after space mode EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 3:32 pm

NickTheNick wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
These god machines would be huge, almost the size of a moon, and will be extremely complicated.

"Thats no moon..."

Could you make a Death Star of sorts?

(Sorry to revive an old thread)

Somewhere it was mentioned that dyson spheres could be built in the TE, so death stars should be possible too. Death stars are many orders of magnitude smaller than a dyson sphere.
Back to top Go down
pentomid
Newcomer
pentomid

PostSubject: Re: cities after space mode   cities after space mode EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 9:53 pm

Say you plant a colony on an inhospitable world. What functions could that colony accomplish? And what abilities will it gain as the planet become progressively terraformed?
Back to top Go down
EnergyKnife
Newcomer
EnergyKnife

PostSubject: Re: cities after space mode   cities after space mode EmptySat Jun 08, 2013 2:12 pm

pentomid wrote:
Say you plant a colony on an inhospitable world. What functions could that colony accomplish? And what abilities will it gain as the planet become progressively terraformed?
This brings up another question. How long would you have to wait for the colony to become self-sufficient. If a earth decided to put a colony on Mars, we would have to constantly send them oxygen, food, and water until they began to have farms large enough to put off enough oxygen and food. Then we would still have to send them water (unless, of course, they started the colony near the north or south pole of the planet). How would this work in thrive? Would we just have to put some of our fleet ships on errand duty for decades, maybe even centuries?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: cities after space mode   cities after space mode Empty

Back to top Go down

cities after space mode
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next