Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Org Mode After Sentience Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Org Mode After Sentience Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Org Mode After Sentience Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Org Mode After Sentience Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Org Mode After Sentience Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Org Mode After Sentience Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Org Mode After Sentience Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Org Mode After Sentience Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Org Mode After Sentience Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Org Mode After Sentience Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Org Mode After Sentience Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Org Mode After Sentience Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Org Mode After Sentience Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Org Mode After Sentience Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Org Mode After Sentience Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Org Mode After Sentience Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Org Mode After Sentience Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Org Mode After Sentience Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Org Mode After Sentience Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Org Mode After Sentience Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Org Mode After Sentience

Go down 
+4
Hallowed_Are_The_Ori
Mysterious_Calligrapher
bill2505
Tenebrarum
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Org Mode After Sentience Empty
PostSubject: Org Mode After Sentience   Org Mode After Sentience EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 1:33 pm

Once the player is sapient/sentient, we all have pretty much agreed that the major movement of the game will occur in Strat Mode rather than Org Mode. (For Obvious reasons)

However, I feel that if we do not make Org Mode just as interesting, then we will be missing a huge opportunity, as well as making a massive fracture in the smooth transitions we've talked about.

I don't have too many ideas, but as they become more relevant I will post them. Please use this thread to brainstorm how Org Mode should function after Sentience.
Back to top Go down
bill2505
Learner

PostSubject: Re: Org Mode After Sentience   Org Mode After Sentience EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 2:44 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Once the player is sapient/sentient, we all have pretty much agreed that the major movement of the game will occur in Strat Mode rather than Org Mode. (For Obvious reasons)

However, I feel that if we do not make Org Mode just as interesting, then we will be missing a huge opportunity, as well as making a massive fracture in the smooth transitions we've talked about.

I don't have too many ideas, but as they become more relevant I will post them. Please use this thread to brainstorm how Org Mode should function after Sentience.
you are right here. to be honest the reason i follow this game for the strat mod(building cities....) but i thing that you are right.i dont have specific ideas but something that i thing that will org mod better

graphics will be a big plus to the org mode(not only the org mode but whatever)
easy camera controls will be also be a plus (now i ma playing darksiders a pc game even if its good the camera is very bad)

better combat: combat in spore was boring ,repetitive .
creature editor was boring .also even if you had chose herbivore creature you could add him organs that only a carnivore animal has

not repetitive gameplay. in spore the only thing you were doing is kill and reproduse (are those enought? for me no specially how they were implemented in spore
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Org Mode After Sentience   Org Mode After Sentience EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 8:04 pm

Hmm... I'm a little leery of assigning your singular organism "quests" a la other games, but I do think that unless we include some quest/mission type things, people will no longer be content to tool around as a single critter in org mode.
However... We already talked about a sandbox application to create missions/situations - I think there should be both open ended and goal-oriented thiings to do there.
Back to top Go down
Hallowed_Are_The_Ori
Newcomer
Hallowed_Are_The_Ori

Location : Whatsitcalled... the Ori planet... yeah... that one...

PostSubject: Re: Org Mode After Sentience   Org Mode After Sentience EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 8:57 pm

We should have random events for it

Like you could get abducted by a UFO, there could be the outbreak of a disease in which you can either work with thers of your species to find a cure or be quarantined or something. There might be an earthquake and you have to help rebuild, or when rebuilding your enemies might realise the weakness of the city and attack, and you can help defend the city. As well as being able to fight on the front lines [you probly have to have a military job for that in civ+] in battles and defence of your cities. You could be sent to foreign lands as a diplomat or explorer, you could spy on and sabotauge you enemies. Along with this, in peaceful times yu could just stroll through your city and speak with the civilians.

I'm also thinking we could implement a series of mini-storylines for org mode. This would eliminate the obviousness of straight out missions and/or quests, and leaves it open for the player to do what they want, they could ignore it or go through with it. What I mean, fr those of you who dont understand, is, say, the player is walking along a road, and they are approached by a stranger, who claims to be a part of the infamous 'Rebellion'. He asks if you would like to help the rebellion. If the player wants to overturn the government, he can help, if he wants to keep the current government, he can run away and report the stranger to the police/similar authorities.

You could also 'train' your current job, like practise shooting if you're in the army, practise peace-talking if you're a diplomat, practise killing if you're an assassin, practise outdoors survival if you're an explorer. The more you practise or 'train' these skills, the more weapons/abilities/items you unlock, say you're a diplomat, you could unlock new styles of persuasion, or skills such as 'Gracious Greeting' [reference from Spore], if you're an army dude you could unlock new weapons, or gain skill with a weapon you already have, eg. two pistols instead of just one, or being able to reload quicker or something like that. If you're an assassin you could unlock new weapons, or work on existing skills, or possibly learn new ones. You get the idea.

And most of that is focusing on the civ stage, in tribal stage we could have different jobs like gathering ect. , as well as tribal combat, or you could opt to be a shaman's appretice and learn [spells?], or be a 'true warrior' and learn advanced combat techniques [well, advanced for a tribal civilisation at least]. We could implement a system where acts of bravery will gain you infuence among the rest of the tribe, and with enough influence you could go off and create your own tribe, or make your own inter-tribal war, or becme the chief of your tribe. Also, your offspring would/could start ff with a small fraction of the influence you've earned.

In space you could choose to either stay with your 'empire', go rouge and explore on you own. Staying with your 'empire' will limit your actions by it's laws, however you'll have steady supply of necessities, and the rouges will need to get these 'necessities' manually, through trade or piracy. So basically it's harder for rouges to interatct with others, as others dont particularly trust rouges, however rouges are completely free and can d whatever they want [though still with consiquences], where as the ones who stay with their 'empire' will have less freedom, but will be protected by the 'empire' itself, and will find it easier to negtiate with others.

Sorry it's so long, I have alot of ideas. Feel free to sift through it and take out what you want.

Last edited by Hallowed_Are_The_Ori on Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Org Mode After Sentience   Org Mode After Sentience EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 9:05 pm

While a lot of those sound interesting, I'm just going to throw out some thoughts here
We need a balance of goal-oriented and open-ended playing.
For example:
The Sims - completely open-ended playing. Fun... but it gets boring after a while, except for the player-created challenges.
However, simply having consecutive "missions" can get boring too. We need to have missions, but we can't make them so automatically urgent that it prevents the player from just tooling around in org mode.

Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Org Mode After Sentience   Org Mode After Sentience EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 9:47 pm

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
While a lot of those sound interesting, I'm just going to throw out some thoughts here
We need a balance of goal-oriented and open-ended playing.
For example:
The Sims - completely open-ended playing. Fun... but it gets boring after a while, except for the player-created challenges.
However, simply having consecutive "missions" can get boring too. We need to have missions, but we can't make them so automatically urgent that it prevents the player from just tooling around in org mode.

Clearly. It might be best to have characters generated. They'll have needs and thus, jobs/quests appear. Give them more personality and opinion and the quest become increasingly in depth and complex. This is one of the things that we will hopefully slowly patch on piece by piece to build it up. And if that doesn't work, we can just script in some quests and leave the door open for modding.

Now, let's talk about something else that hasn't been talked about nearly as much: Player Possessions? Inventory? Housing? Marriage and Family? Conversations?
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Org Mode After Sentience   Org Mode After Sentience EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 10:29 pm

Personally, I have a Psychology issue with alien conversations, but for the sake of playability (and since no one wants to hear my enlightened theory anyway) I'd say they're necessary. Family units might be a nice plus - though we'd have some trouble defining a "family," depending on the type of organism.
Organism skills/abilities/equiptment would probably be necessary for some "missions."
Back to top Go down
Hallowed_Are_The_Ori
Newcomer
Hallowed_Are_The_Ori

Location : Whatsitcalled... the Ori planet... yeah... that one...

PostSubject: Re: Org Mode After Sentience   Org Mode After Sentience EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 12:58 am

I want ot hear it

And if noone else wants it here PM me
Back to top Go down
Poisson
Regular
Poisson

PostSubject: Re: Org Mode After Sentience   Org Mode After Sentience EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 1:02 am

I'd say post it. The worst that can happen is getting told "No, that's a bad idea because..."
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Org Mode After Sentience   Org Mode After Sentience EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 7:23 pm

Okay, so the theory of why aliens wouldn't converse like we do: here for reference, and yes, it's too complicated. Deal, as I doubt it's being adapted as a functional piece of game.
Spoiler:
All this said, conversations are needed for the sake of playability. And no one but me is going to have their suspension of disbelief smashed over having a three-eyed alien conversing in perfectly recognizable English/French/Fon/Czech, with perfectly recognizable human characters, in a speech bubble.

As a side note... No cartoon/spore style speech bubbles, if avoidable, please?
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Org Mode After Sentience   Org Mode After Sentience EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 8:07 pm

All this said, conversations are needed for the sake of playability. And no one but me is going to have their suspension of disbelief smashed over having a three-eyed alien conversing in perfectly recognizable English/French/Fon/Czech, with perfectly recognizable human characters, in a speech bubble.

As a side note... No cartoon/spore style speech bubbles, if avoidable, please?
You make a good point. However, you, like everyone else I know, overthought this. The point of Language is communication. So long as that is successful everything else is arbitrary.

I'm not sure how to avoid speech bubbles without just having then speak coherent English/whatever.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Org Mode After Sentience   Org Mode After Sentience EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 11:53 pm

And I'm not certain how well having speech come up in the bottom bar, a la multiplayer online games, would work on this one - that's the only alternative I've thought of.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Org Mode After Sentience   Org Mode After Sentience EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 12:08 am

And I'm not certain how well having speech come up in the bottom bar, a la multiplayer online games, would work on this one - that's the only alternative I've thought of.
Right. Well. Let's put that on the back burner, shall we?

So: Inventory. How will it work?
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Org Mode After Sentience   Org Mode After Sentience EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 7:58 am

@Miss Caligrapher: +10 internets for mentioning Czech. -1 internet for misspelling it the first time (Check language? :D). Still, you end with +9 internets, congratulations!

@Rex: So, inventory. Certainly needs weight and space to be the limiting factors.

Weight is pretty easy to simulate, just add a value to every item carried and apply this weight to the organism/TO (so you can't run through the terrain while carrying twenty kilos of stone).

Space, however, is an absolutely different issue. There are a few ways to deal with it, one of the most common is slots (RPG/Minecraft style). Graspers and clothes should add additional slots, bigger items take more slots. Not the perfect solution, but a working one.

Last edited by Commander Keen on Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Org Mode After Sentience   Org Mode After Sentience EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 8:19 am

Tenebrarum wrote:
Right. Well. Let's put that on the back burner, shall we?

So: Inventory. How will it work?

Hopefully, we wont use an inventory with slots... They are good for gameplay, but hugely unrealistic. In RuneScape, you can carry around a dwarf multi-cannon, which is bigger than you, without any kind of bag, and you still have room for 24 more items.

We should make the organisms carry objects, and the invention of a 'bag' research should allow bags to be used, raising the amount a creature can carry. We should take into account the size and weight of objects, too.

Basically, no anti-grav pockets that are bigger on the inside...

EDIT: Keen beat me to it while I was posting...
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Org Mode After Sentience   Org Mode After Sentience EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 8:46 am

Well, slot inventory isn't that bad for realism if done properly (ie. not like Runescape or Minecraft).
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Org Mode After Sentience   Org Mode After Sentience EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 3:13 pm

I don't really like inventory. I'd rather you just have whatever techs you can carry. However, a bag, something to carry techs in, could be used, and we could have inventory for that.

Right now though, i don't think we should worry too much about this. The frirst priority is still non-sentient Org mode.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Org Mode After Sentience   Org Mode After Sentience EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 4:25 pm

*facepalm* Calli should not post late at night. Sorry, Keen. Next time I'll Czech my spelling.
Agreed fully with uteen. There is no way anyone but an ant should be carrying several times their body weight.

Hey, at least we know what kinds of things we'll need to add on to org mode when sentience is reached. (I take it we'll be able to use our hands/flagella/beak/tentacles to carry basic kinds of useful items pre-sentience, right? If so, we need to figure out weight/size assignments for that before we even worry about adding backpacks.)

Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Org Mode After Sentience   Org Mode After Sentience EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 5:14 pm

Well, inventory is absolutely needed when you get clothing with pockets, bags and similar stuff.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Org Mode After Sentience   Org Mode After Sentience EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 6:32 pm

Agreed. Sentience will not necessarily entail clothes (or large amounts of them, anyway,) but making things easier to carry is a must.
Back to top Go down
Poisson
Regular
Poisson

PostSubject: Re: Org Mode After Sentience   Org Mode After Sentience EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 10:36 pm

How about being able to make bags and clothing with pockets allows organisms to have an inventory?
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Org Mode After Sentience   Org Mode After Sentience EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 5:33 am

Exactly what I had on mind.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Org Mode After Sentience   Org Mode After Sentience EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 6:49 am

How would we show the inventory in the interface?

If it has an undetermined number of slots, it'll be hard making it look good. (As in, not look like a game of Tetris) Although, it might turn out okay if we use the shatter style. But then again, it could also go terribly wrong... Still, that doesn't solve where it would go.

Hey, I've had an idea for the inventory. The items could be shown on the creature, in the locations they are, but sort of highlighted and shown through clothing/bag. That's not been done before, and would work pretty well as long as you aren't Santa Claus with a giant bag of presents... But you wouldn't be able to find anything in that bag anyway.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Org Mode After Sentience   Org Mode After Sentience EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 10:27 am

The Uteen wrote:

If it has an undetermined number of slots, it'll be hard making it look good. (As in, not look like a game of Tetris) Although, it might turn out okay if we use the shatter style. But then again, it could also go terribly wrong... Still, that doesn't solve where it would go.

Hey, I've had an idea for the inventory. The items could be shown on the creature, in the locations they are, but sort of highlighted and shown through clothing/bag. That's not been done before, and would work pretty well as long as you aren't Santa Claus with a giant bag of presents... But you wouldn't be able to find anything in that bag anyway.
I like that idea. Inventory takes you into third person, and you select what you want. It's original, and has a nice flow to it.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Org Mode After Sentience   Org Mode After Sentience EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 5:45 pm

~sciocont wrote:
The Uteen wrote:

I like that idea. Inventory takes you into third person, and you select what you want. It's original, and has a nice flow to it.
QFT
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Org Mode After Sentience   Org Mode After Sentience Empty

Back to top Go down

Org Mode After Sentience
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next