Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Building editor [Idea/concept] Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Building editor [Idea/concept] Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Building editor [Idea/concept] Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Building editor [Idea/concept] Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Building editor [Idea/concept] Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Building editor [Idea/concept] Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Building editor [Idea/concept] Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Building editor [Idea/concept] Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Building editor [Idea/concept] Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Building editor [Idea/concept] Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Building editor [Idea/concept] Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Building editor [Idea/concept] Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Building editor [Idea/concept] Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Building editor [Idea/concept] Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Building editor [Idea/concept] Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Building editor [Idea/concept] Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Building editor [Idea/concept] Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Building editor [Idea/concept] Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Building editor [Idea/concept] Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Building editor [Idea/concept] Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Building editor [Idea/concept]

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
AIs-null
Learner
AIs-null

Building editor [Idea/concept] Empty
PostSubject: Building editor [Idea/concept]   Building editor [Idea/concept] EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 12:23 pm

WHen someone reaches far enough to build buildings in the game, then i think that they may want to a) use already made parts like in Spore, b) use a parts editor in game, so that they could make the objects themselves such as dragging polygons and vertices or c) Being able to import 3d models into the game. Actually this applies to clothes, vehicles and buildings but im just going to cover buildings here.

This means that in the game, you can choose from two or three options when it comes to making buildings, for the less advanced users you can simply use pre-made 3d objects and just throw them onto the model you wish to make your building of, for the intermediate users the option would be to use a in-game editor to first put in a pre-made 3d model of a object and then edit that object as the user wishes, and at last for the advanced users to be able to import 3d-model files such as 3ds. blend. and MAX. files.

Now some of you might think that this presents a problem, what if a user just out of nowere decides to make a "Supah-Dupah-Lazah-Gunh" that is a ultra fast sentry to defend the building? Well, that could actually be solved quite easilly. In the game, the parts will have parameters that is adjusted to fit the actions of the part. For example a part that provides a light value, the value of how much light it gives, should make the parameters automatically adjust the resource cost of that part to fit the use of the part. When the building then is completely designed to build it you would need to gather the resources that the paramteres have calculated out your building should require. That would remove the "Me is going from tribal to half space in 2 secs lul" thing players have been doing in spore. So a weak part should have for example a low cost of coal or wood. (also for wood and coal, i think that there should be a name generator to generate random names for each resource on the planet and give it attributes but that is another story). But a strong metal light source should require for example 1/2 iron bar (wich too would be a random name such as triqot bar wereas triqot has "strong metal" attribute). Once bashi is finished with a demo-engine i would be happy to try and implement this feature, i know some code, shouldn`t be too hard.

For example, i want a factory that should produce refined wood (wich then is a randomly generated name such as refined trezk) for other buildings and have these parts;

12Effective light source AKA "knarsk light"
4reinforced wood walls AKA "reinforced trezk walls"
2slow production device of strong metal AKA "slow production device made of trigot"

Lets say part 1 costs me

knarsk = coal = i need 12 knarsk
trezk = wood = I need 4 trezk
trigot = strong metal = 2 trigots

then 12 knarsk, 4 trezk and 2 trigots would be the final cost for me to build my building, so i would have to gather these resources. Or rather my population would need to gather these resources.

But maybe i would need reinforced trezk?!? That would require me to have another factory, of simpler demands to produce this resource. WIch in turn represent another problem. What fi the random generator generated a impossible production cycle? What we would need is to have the engine generate a list of "Basic resources" that should help build buildings to produce secondary resources. This i think would be out of my spectre to accomplish. But you get the idea (I hope).

To sum it up:

Random name generator for resources
Make the engine make a list of basic resources so no impossible resource cycles would come to be
In-game part editor
Import tool for the common 3d file formats (3ds. blend. and MAX.)
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Building editor [Idea/concept]   Building editor [Idea/concept] EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 12:37 pm

Please read before posting. Buildings will be created in the current Tech Editor.
[/Thread]
Back to top Go down
AIs-null
Learner
AIs-null

PostSubject: Re: Building editor [Idea/concept]   Building editor [Idea/concept] EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 12:51 pm

Here is for example a light source i just made in 5 minutes hurry.

Building editor [Idea/concept] Simplelightsource

Lets say this light source has a value of 10, and max value for the game is 100. (well obviously, as i came to think of, maybe my creatures doesn`t need such good light sources because they have evolved other means of sensing the world). They need 10 exactely to have maximum efficiency at the production facility. So then the game engine regocnises that it makes a value of 10 in light. And then since 10 is worth exactely 1 of the resource "Qwuarm" (yeah, new planet new randomly generated names ).

Here is qwuarm, it is a raw material that can be found in low land forests for example.

Building editor [Idea/concept] Qwuerw

Well how would i get it? By myself? Not nesesarilly (eah wrong word, idc..), because maybe you could go send your tribe? Once they have gathered the resource, then you or they might build it.

But yeah, now i`ve pretty much done what i suggested in the upper post. SO thats the procedure right there.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Building editor [Idea/concept]   Building editor [Idea/concept] EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 12:55 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Please read before posting. Buildings will be created in the current Tech Editor.
[/Thread]
[/thread]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Building editor [Idea/concept]   Building editor [Idea/concept] Empty

Back to top Go down

Building editor [Idea/concept]
Page 1 of 1