Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Circadian Tab/Editor Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Circadian Tab/Editor Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Circadian Tab/Editor Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Circadian Tab/Editor Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Circadian Tab/Editor Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Circadian Tab/Editor Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Circadian Tab/Editor Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Circadian Tab/Editor Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Circadian Tab/Editor Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Circadian Tab/Editor Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Circadian Tab/Editor Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Circadian Tab/Editor Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Circadian Tab/Editor Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Circadian Tab/Editor Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Circadian Tab/Editor Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Circadian Tab/Editor Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Circadian Tab/Editor Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Circadian Tab/Editor Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Circadian Tab/Editor Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Circadian Tab/Editor Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Circadian Tab/Editor

Go down 
+2
Zetal
GamerXA
6 posters
AuthorMessage
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

Circadian Tab/Editor Empty
PostSubject: Circadian Tab/Editor   Circadian Tab/Editor EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 3:12 am

It seems to me that we have only a very limited way of expressing in the OE whether an Organism is Diurnal or Nocturnal.

As such I believe that a new Tab should be available in the OE or Behaviour Editor that allows the full customization of Sleeping Patterns. The Times/lLght-Level would be selected for when the Organism will Awaken, Be most Active and Start Sleeping. This could be set to any state, regardless of what an Organism's Physiology is. Detrimental effects would ensue if it was set at a point where the Brain of the Organism required a certain amount of sleep, but an unsatisfactory amount was set.

A GUI for this could be interpreted in the style of a circular slider with bars indicating the different variables. In the style of this.
Back to top Go down
Zetal
Newcomer
Zetal

PostSubject: Re: Circadian Tab/Editor   Circadian Tab/Editor EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 3:30 am

GamerXA wrote:
It seems to me that we have only a very limited way of expressing in the OE whether an Organism is Diurnal or Nocturnal.

As such I believe that a new Tab should be available in the OE or Behaviour Editor that allows the full customization of Sleeping Patterns. The Times/lLght-Level would be selected for when the Organism will Awaken, Be most Active and Start Sleeping. This could be set to any state, regardless of what an Organism's Physiology is. Detrimental effects would ensue if it was set at a point where the Brain of the Organism required a certain amount of sleep, but an unsatisfactory amount was set.

A GUI for this could be interpreted in the style of a circular slider with bars indicating the different variables. In the style of .

I imagine that this would be included directly within the Behavior Editor, rather than the OE. That doesn't, however, mean that I don't like the circular slider idea. In fact, I really like this concept if we don't already have one in existence. In keeping with the other editors, the circular slider would be a 3d object, but viewed from a fixed camera. There would be lists of "parts" (FP's, Organs, etc.) in a similar manner to the other editors, but the parts would simply be 3d tags that are placed on different attachment points; with each attachment point representing a time. Really, I think this should be a fairly big part of the Behavior Editor if we don't already have a better concept in place.
Using this would provide players with a visualization of what their creatures would be doing from Sunrise to Sunset; possibly with the ability to add more circles based on seasonal changes. (ie, hibernation, cold weather migration, etc.)
The biggest problem with this idea that I see a similar problem that we have with FP's- there's just so many individual, unique parts (or, in this case, behaviors) to consider.
Just my opinions~ but if we decide to go with the circadian method, we should start making a list of needed variables.
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

PostSubject: Re: Circadian Tab/Editor   Circadian Tab/Editor EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 4:05 am

Zetal wrote:
GamerXA wrote:

A GUI for this could be interpreted in the style of a circular slider with bars indicating the different variables. In the style of .

I imagine that this would be included directly within the Behavior Editor, rather than the OE. That doesn't, however, mean that I don't like the circular slider idea. In fact, I really like this concept if we don't already have one in existence. In keeping with the other editors, the circular slider would be a 3d object, but viewed from a fixed camera. There would be lists of "parts" (FP's, Organs, etc.) in a similar manner to the other editors, but the parts would simply be 3d tags that are placed on different attachment points; with each attachment point representing a time. Really, I think this should be a fairly big part of the Behavior Editor if we don't already have a better concept in place.
Using this would provide players with a visualization of what their creatures would be doing from Sunrise to Sunset; possibly with the ability to add more circles based on seasonal changes. (ie, hibernation, cold weather migration, etc.)
The biggest problem with this idea that I see a similar problem that we have with FP's- there's just so many individual, unique parts (or, in this case, behaviors) to consider.
Just my opinions~ but if we decide to go with the circadian method, we should start making a list of needed variables.
My original concept was of a much simpler scale, but I like your idea a lot more. As for the number of parts/tags, without further research into Sleep Cycles, the amount would most likely be determined by physiology. And how would the Seasonal Part be implemented?

On a side note, how would this work with planets that don't have a night, such as a tidally locked planet or a planet with two stars? Along with planets that don't have axial tilt and therefore no seasons?
Back to top Go down
Zetal
Newcomer
Zetal

PostSubject: Re: Circadian Tab/Editor   Circadian Tab/Editor EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 4:08 am

GamerXA wrote:

My original concept was of a much simpler scale, but I like your idea a lot more. As for the number of parts/tags, without further research into Sleep Cycles, the amount would most likely be determined by physiology. And how would the Seasonal Part be implemented?

On a side note, how would this work with planets that don't have a night, such as a tidally locked planet or a planet with two stars? Along with planets that don't have axial tilt and therefore no seasons?

All of the data for attachments and such would need to be generated based upon planetary data, which means that I would need to better understand how planets will be coded and stored.
In the mean time, I really should go to sleep.
Ideas for later:
Attachment points generated based on hours a species behaviorally spends in the day/night.
Additional circles generated based upon how many seasons there are- Spring is the first one selected by default, and all others are automatically modified to be identical unless individually edited.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Circadian Tab/Editor   Circadian Tab/Editor EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 2:50 pm

thid definitely belongs as part of the OE's Behavior Tab. I shall move the thread. But first, I will put in my two cents.
This is important, and I am glad it's being discussed. I think we can use a circular dial to determine all of this, with the levels of light on the outside, and a movable dial in the middle for wakefulness. We could put different points on the dial as the points at which the animal should be at rest. We can also use different sleep settings, such as sleeping only portions of the brain at a time, in the same way birds and dolphins do.
Back to top Go down
Zetal
Newcomer
Zetal

PostSubject: Re: Circadian Tab/Editor   Circadian Tab/Editor EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 5:19 pm

~sciocont wrote:
thid definitely belongs as part of the OE's Behavior Tab. I shall move the thread. But first, I will put in my two cents.
This is important, and I am glad it's being discussed. I think we can use a circular dial to determine all of this, with the levels of light on the outside, and a movable dial in the middle for wakefulness. We could put different points on the dial as the points at which the animal should be at rest. We can also use different sleep settings, such as sleeping only portions of the brain at a time, in the same way birds and dolphins do.

Based on the phrasing, it sounds similar to my idea, but slightly different... only I'm not sure how. xD Maybe I'm just groggy? But...for clarity, are you agreeing or disagreeing with the concepts I proposed?
(Also, I'm not sure if you actually moved this yet )
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Circadian Tab/Editor   Circadian Tab/Editor EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 6:34 pm

Zetal wrote:
~sciocont wrote:

Based on the phrasing, it sounds similar to my idea, but slightly different... only I'm not sure how. xD Maybe I'm just groggy? But...for clarity, are you agreeing or disagreeing with the concepts I proposed?
I agree with your proposition, I just didn't quite catch it the first time around.
Back to top Go down
Zetal
Newcomer
Zetal

PostSubject: Re: Circadian Tab/Editor   Circadian Tab/Editor EmptySat Dec 24, 2011 11:59 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Zetal wrote:
~sciocont wrote:

I agree with your proposition, I just didn't quite catch it the first time around.

Okay. =) I'm glad you like it! Is this settled, then?
Back to top Go down
Poisson
Regular
Poisson

PostSubject: Re: Circadian Tab/Editor   Circadian Tab/Editor EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 3:28 pm

Seems like this is settled for now. I rather like Scio's idea. It appears to be very intuitive and simple, yet also effective. I say we leave this open for future discussion should there be any better ideas or issues brought up.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Circadian Tab/Editor   Circadian Tab/Editor EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 7:20 pm

Poisson wrote:
Seems like this is settled for now. I rather like Scio's idea. It appears to be very intuitive and simple, yet also effective. I say we leave this open for future discussion should there be any better ideas or issues brought up.
Sounds good.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Circadian Tab/Editor   Circadian Tab/Editor EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 9:05 pm

Quick thought: perhaps we could repeat the same system for monthly/yearly behaviors? Although yearly behaviors seem more focused on temperature changes than light intensity.
Back to top Go down
Zetal
Newcomer
Zetal

PostSubject: Re: Circadian Tab/Editor   Circadian Tab/Editor EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 9:45 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Quick thought: perhaps we could repeat the same system for monthly/yearly behaviors? Although yearly behaviors seem more focused on temperature changes than light intensity.

I'm not opposed to including functionality for multiple 'wheels' for each Month. They shouldn't be required, however. If a player doesn't click the 'Add More' button or something, the game should set those months to be duplicates of the existing ones.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Circadian Tab/Editor   Circadian Tab/Editor EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 10:09 pm

Zetal wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:

I'm not opposed to including functionality for multiple 'wheels' for each Month. They shouldn't be required, however. If a player doesn't click the 'Add More' button or something, the game should set those months to be duplicates of the existing ones.

By months, I mean noticeable cycles in stellar bodies aside from the sun. Earth months are more to do with human perception than reality, so in game you wouldn't be able to add any until you have progressed to a point beyond which you wouldn't be able to directly access the OE anyways.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Circadian Tab/Editor   Circadian Tab/Editor EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 12:31 am

Tenebrarum wrote:
Zetal wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:

By months, I mean noticeable cycles in stellar bodies aside from the sun. Earth months are more to do with human perception than reality, so in game you wouldn't be able to add any until you have progressed to a point beyond which you wouldn't be able to directly access the OE anyways.
Actually, most circadian systems respond to light and not heat, which is why migrations always happen at the same time, since day length is something that has little chaos, whereas temperature is highly chaotic.
We should split that up by seasons instead of months.
Back to top Go down
Deathbite42
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Circadian Tab/Editor   Circadian Tab/Editor EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 10:48 pm

Wait. Are you saying you will EVER lose access to the OE?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Circadian Tab/Editor   Circadian Tab/Editor EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 11:58 am

Deathbite42 wrote:
Wait. Are you saying you will EVER lose access to the OE?
You'll lose access to it when you gain access to the TE.
Back to top Go down
Deathbite42
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Circadian Tab/Editor   Circadian Tab/Editor EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 5:27 pm

Why? Couldn't we, humans, with the TE, hypothetically, evolve into something else with simple biotech upon ourselves? "It's too advanced! There's a clear gap between our creature and humans!" No, simple, primitive creatures continue to evolve regardless of technology.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Circadian Tab/Editor   Circadian Tab/Editor EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 5:56 pm

Deathbite42 wrote:
Why? Couldn't we, humans, with the TE, hypothetically, evolve into something else with simple biotech upon ourselves? "It's too advanced! There's a clear gap between our creature and humans!" No, simple, primitive creatures continue to evolve regardless of technology.
You can unlock the OE again with sufficient research. All evolution slows down dramatically when you gain technology, because the time scale of the game slows down.
Back to top Go down
Deathbite42
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Circadian Tab/Editor   Circadian Tab/Editor EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 9:10 pm

Oh. I see.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Circadian Tab/Editor   Circadian Tab/Editor Empty

Back to top Go down

Circadian Tab/Editor
Page 1 of 1