Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
where are creature gets its foot in the world  Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
where are creature gets its foot in the world  Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
where are creature gets its foot in the world  Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
where are creature gets its foot in the world  Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
where are creature gets its foot in the world  Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
where are creature gets its foot in the world  Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
where are creature gets its foot in the world  Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
where are creature gets its foot in the world  Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
where are creature gets its foot in the world  Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
where are creature gets its foot in the world  Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
where are creature gets its foot in the world  Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
where are creature gets its foot in the world  Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
where are creature gets its foot in the world  Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
where are creature gets its foot in the world  Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
where are creature gets its foot in the world  Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
where are creature gets its foot in the world  Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
where are creature gets its foot in the world  Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
where are creature gets its foot in the world  Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
where are creature gets its foot in the world  Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
where are creature gets its foot in the world  Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

where are creature gets its foot in the world

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
mike roberts
Learner

where are creature gets its foot in the world  Empty
PostSubject: where are creature gets its foot in the world    where are creature gets its foot in the world  EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 6:38 pm

ok we all know that creatures on planet earth are different globally, yes were they were born or raised changed them. so what im getting at is that where you are planted in your planet it will make so to speak. if my organism starts out in a small little pool of water and quickly becomes the dominate animal and than expands and grows legs to escape this tiny pool of water ( or other liquid that can sustain life), but someone els's creature might have formed in the dark depths of the ocean and then became a bottom feeder. see how these creatures differ? will you choose " hey i want my creature to be at first in the shallow water" or 'hey i want my creature to be formed in the dark ocean" this is just to post how we can work it so that the environment you were formed in plays a pretty big role. i don't know if someone touched on this but i want to bring it up goodbye
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: where are creature gets its foot in the world    where are creature gets its foot in the world  EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 7:39 am

I think we're generally agreed on a random starting location, but it hasn't been discussed much, it is probably still open for debate.

Maybe having a choice of certain places on your starting planet would be good, with an option for random.
Back to top Go down
mike roberts
Learner

PostSubject: Re: where are creature gets its foot in the world    where are creature gets its foot in the world  EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

im completely up for having locations you can start at, that make the games more personal and you can plan out what you want to do but if want to have a challenge you can go random
Back to top Go down
kaosrain
Newcomer
kaosrain

PostSubject: Re: where are creature gets its foot in the world    where are creature gets its foot in the world  EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 4:03 pm

I agree with mike ,we should make it like mortal kombat you can choose some location depending on the planet or you can press a button and go random
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: where are creature gets its foot in the world    where are creature gets its foot in the world  EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 9:41 pm

I really think that this is not something that we as game designers need to worry about. The player will be able to explore their world, and they will. They will choose the environment they want for their creature. They'll decide what terrain their creature should adapt to.

If someone wants something bad enough, they'll make it happen. All we should be doing is making sure that is possible.
Back to top Go down
YourNeighbor
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: where are creature gets its foot in the world    where are creature gets its foot in the world  EmptyWed May 04, 2011 9:04 pm

The Uteen wrote:
I think we're generally agreed on a random starting location, but it hasn't been discussed much, it is probably still open for debate.

Maybe having a choice of certain places on your starting planet would be good, with an option for random.

that seems good because some people like more of a challenge while others just play for fun
Back to top Go down
mike roberts
Learner

PostSubject: Re: where are creature gets its foot in the world    where are creature gets its foot in the world  EmptyThu May 05, 2011 1:17 pm

yes this is true causal gamers and hard core gamers are different and would want different things but a hard core gamer like myself might want a specific creature in mind. like lets say a crab-lobster creature that has lungs and lives in deserts it would be hard to obtain that end result if your microbes we combined 100 leagues under the sea. im just saying we should have a few areas on certain places of the planet you pick( another thread i guess we should talk about planet you start out on changes you) like there could be a shallow lake choice or a small deep river choice but there should be a choice whether to go randomly or chose whatever location you have in mind.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: where are creature gets its foot in the world    where are creature gets its foot in the world  EmptyFri May 06, 2011 11:16 am

mike roberts wrote:
yes this is true causal gamers and hard core gamers are different and would want different things but a hard core gamer like myself might want a specific creature in mind. like lets say a crab-lobster creature that has lungs and lives in deserts it would be hard to obtain that end result if your microbes we combined 100 leagues under the sea. im just saying we should have a few areas on certain places of the planet you pick( another thread i guess we should talk about planet you start out on changes you) like there could be a shallow lake choice or a small deep river choice but there should be a choice whether to go randomly or chose whatever location you have in mind.

I agree with everything you said, but I'd like to point out this isn't Spore (a 99.99% creation game), you don't think 'I want this' and just have it. This is (hopefully) evolution, something as specific as that would be unlikely, because there are so many possibilities.

However, it doesn't' matter where you start in the long term, life on Earth (almost definitely) started deep in the ocean, and from there it has spread all over the globe, including many deserts.
Back to top Go down
mike roberts
Learner

PostSubject: Re: where are creature gets its foot in the world    where are creature gets its foot in the world  EmptyFri May 06, 2011 4:04 pm

yeah i was reading something about spore a short while after posting the comment im just saying some player like to have certain creatures in mind and thanks for pointing out the spore like attitude i did'nt see myself
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: where are creature gets its foot in the world    where are creature gets its foot in the world  Empty

Back to top Go down

where are creature gets its foot in the world
Page 1 of 1