Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Camouflage Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Camouflage Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Camouflage Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Camouflage Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Camouflage Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Camouflage Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Camouflage Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Camouflage Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Camouflage Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Camouflage Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Camouflage Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Camouflage Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Camouflage Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Camouflage Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Camouflage Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Camouflage Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Camouflage Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Camouflage Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Camouflage Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Camouflage Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Camouflage

Go down 
+8
GhengopelALPHA
Commander Keen
roadkillguy
Redstar
tklarenb
~sciocont
US_of_Alaska
Tenebrarum
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Camouflage Empty
PostSubject: Camouflage   Camouflage EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 6:51 pm

Okay, so right now, we need to discuss camo. It's almost weirdly important in the natural world, and should be mimicked if possible. After all, you're far more likely to survive if you avoid the fight rather than expending the resources and energy required to win one.

The key here is color comparison, and the computer's ability to notice something out of the ordinary in an environment. That is very, very, very difficult to program, as it effectively requires the computer to start to generalize, an action that is inherently animal.

Discuss.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

Camouflage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camouflage   Camouflage EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 7:22 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Okay, so right now, we need to discuss camo. It's almost weirdly important in the natural world, and should be mimicked if possible. After all, you're far more likely to survive if you avoid the fight rather than expending the resources and energy required to win one.

The key here is color comparison, and the computer's ability to notice something out of the ordinary in an environment. That is very, very, very difficult to program, as it effectively requires the computer to start to generalize, an action that is inherently animal.

Discuss.
Colours should be easy enough (don't hurt me programmers).

I'm thinking something like:

Find random point on edge of creature (could be tough, i suppose)
Get colour, store as ColourOrg1
Get colour of object behind creature from hunter's line of sight, store as ColourEnviro1
// Have a few of these that choose different edges or different coloured edges, use convention ColourOrg[x] and ColourEnviro[x]
Compare ColourOrg[x] and ColourEnviro[x]
// If done in hex values, this should be as simple as a subtraction, right?
If difference is large = easy to detect, if difference is low = hard
// probably use some sort of scaling in the above line, to allow for a wide variety of detectability

And here's to hoping i didn't just make roadkill cry
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Camouflage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camouflage   Camouflage EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 7:28 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:

Discuss.

I could have sworn this thread already existed. No matter.
For camouflage (wonderfully difficult to spell), we will need to know the basic colors of the environment. This should be easy, since we'll already know them because they will already exist as textures.

So, for animal camouflage, we have a few different options. Animals could have:
the same colors as their surroundings
the same shape as their surroundings
the same texture (exact color scheme) of their surroundings

This is all going to depend on the textures used for rocks, ground coverings and plants in their biome.

Since plants will have to have a procedural texture, I say that animals should be able to get that exact same procedural texture on their bodies. This is the simplest way to simulate camouflage visually for the player. To actually simulate it in the game, the animal simply gets a high chance of not being sensed by the vision of a predator in their presence.

Another way to simulate camouflage (best for large animals) is to simply mimic the colors of their environment. This means finding out what colors are in their environment. The best way to do this is to take a picture from a point inside their environment, exclude the skybox, and analyze what different colors are in the picture. these colors then help the animal blend in when they are on its body.

Click to go to galleries of animal camouflage
Camouflage Insectcamouflage01Camouflage Animal-camouflage-1-1
Back to top Go down
tklarenb
Learner
tklarenb

Camouflage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camouflage   Camouflage EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 7:39 pm

I'm not a huge expert on programming yet, so I don't know how hard this idea would be to implement. But here's an idea that doesn't take the computer to actually try to differentiate between colors in game like Alaska's idea.

Maybe environment colors could be placed in overall groups, (light green, green, dark green, etc). Plant color would be the main determining factor, although in areas like deserts, soil could play a part too. Then, when creatures evolve, the computer could check if they are in the same color group as the environment and determine a camouflage variable based off of it. For example, say the environment is a forest, and the overall color is a dark green. A yellow creature exists, and evolves into a shade of light green variation. While the creature doesn't have perfect camouflage, it's camouflage variable would move higher on the positive side of the scale. The variable would then determine how visible it is to predators. Creatures closer to the environment color would have less of a chance of being seen than ones farther from it.

As for patterns such as stripes, the particular biome the creature lives in could be the determining factor, since creatures that live in areas with lots of light and dark areas such as forests are more likely to have patterns, while creatures in open areas like deserts tend to be more flat in color. This could be added to the camouflage variable, with creatures in variable light environments getting a bonus from having a pattern.

This would probably not be as realistic as the ideas already posted here (I'm leaning towards scio's idea), but may be easier to implement.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Camouflage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camouflage   Camouflage EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 7:43 pm

Quote :
Maybe environment colors could be placed in overall groups, (light green, green, dark green, etc). Plant color would be the main determining factor, although in areas like deserts, soil could play a part too. Then, when creatures evolve, the computer could check if they are in the same color group as the environment and determine a camouflage variable based off of it. For example, say the environment is a forest, and the overall color is a dark green. A yellow creature exists, and evolves into a shade of light green variation. While the creature doesn't have perfect camouflage, it's camouflage variable would move higher on the positive side of the scale. The variable would then determine how visible it is to predators. Creatures closer to the environment color would have less of a chance of being seen than ones farther from it.

As for patterns such as stripes, the particular biome the creature lives in could be the determining factor, since creatures that live in areas with lots of light and dark areas such as forests are more likely to have patterns, while creatures in open areas like deserts tend to be more flat in color. This could be added to the camouflage variable, with creatures in variable light environments getting a bonus from having a pattern.
That's quite simple, and would work quite well. We can definitely classify different shading and pattern types by environment, and that information can be packaged with the biome definition.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Camouflage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camouflage   Camouflage EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 8:03 pm

Three words: alternate sensory systems.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Camouflage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camouflage   Camouflage EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 8:42 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Meaning electric/sonic/olfactory/etc?
Back to top Go down
Redstar
Newcomer
Redstar

Camouflage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camouflage   Camouflage EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 8:43 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Regardless of what kind of senses a critter is using, there will still be some kind of graphical output of the environment, yes? This means everything must output some kind of visible texture (unless you guys have come up with smell-o-vision while I've been away). Camo based on visual/infrared/UV can all still be compared to the environment. I'm envisioning a comparison between the color data (as found in graphics editing programs) of a creature, and that of the environment.

I'm on a phone, so I can't throw pictures up, but I know color value analysis tools exist in Photoshop. Perhaps some of the other visually-inclined people here know what I'm talking about. What I'm not aware of is the under-the-hood demand needed to replicate those tools.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Camouflage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camouflage   Camouflage EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 8:50 pm

Redstar wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:
Regardless of what kind of senses a critter is using, there will still be some kind of graphical output of the environment, yes? This means everything must output some kind of visible texture (unless you guys have come up with smell-o-vision while I've been away). Camo based on visual/infrared/UV can all still be compared to the environment. I'm envisioning a comparison between the color data (as found in graphics editing programs) of a creature, and that of the environment.

I'm on a phone, so I can't throw pictures up, but I know color value analysis tools exist in Photoshop. Perhaps some of the other visually-inclined people here know what I'm talking about. What I'm not aware of is the under-the-hood demand needed to replicate those tools.
Sonar.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Camouflage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camouflage   Camouflage EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 9:03 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Redstar wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:

Sonar.
All we have to do is compare normal maps/bump maps with ones from the environment. That would give you physical surface texture camo.
Back to top Go down
tklarenb
Learner
tklarenb

Camouflage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camouflage   Camouflage EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 9:07 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:

Sonar.

Sonar is more a sense that helps the predator find its prey. Maybe going off my idea sonar could be a bonus for predators that lowers the camouflage level of its prey when they're in the vicinity of it. But otherwise I think scio pretty much said it.

However, I just thought of a problem. Using a physical surface map doesn't apply to flying creatures using sonar that hunt down other flying creatures (example bats after insects). Could it just be that the prey in this situation wouldn't have much camouflage, besides if they're in or outside the predator's sonar range? Or perhaps insects have a way of hiding from bats that I don't know about?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Camouflage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camouflage   Camouflage EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 9:48 pm

tklarenb wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:

Sonar.

Sonar is more a sense that helps the predator find its prey. Maybe going off my idea sonar could be a bonus for predators that lowers the camouflage level of its prey when they're in the vicinity of it. But otherwise I think scio pretty much said it.

However, I just thought of a problem. Using a physical surface map doesn't apply to flying creatures using sonar that hunt down other flying creatures (example bats after insects). Could it just be that the prey in this situation wouldn't have much camouflage, besides if they're in or outside the predator's sonar range? Or perhaps insects have a way of hiding from bats that I don't know about?
Flying creature attempting to avoid sonar would have to use the biological equivalent of RAM (radar absorbing material). Their body covering would scatter and absorb sound waves.
also, If you don't mind, could you downsize your avatar a bit. I like it but it's eating the page.
Back to top Go down
tklarenb
Learner
tklarenb

Camouflage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camouflage   Camouflage EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 10:15 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Flying creature attempting to avoid sonar would have to use the biological equivalent of RAM (radar absorbing material). Their body covering would scatter and absorb sound waves.
also, If you don't mind, could you downsize your avatar a bit. I like it but it's eating the page.
Okay, I changed it. And is there any creature on Earth that uses RAM, or are we going to have to conceptualize a way a creature could do it?
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

Camouflage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camouflage   Camouflage EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 2:10 am

sonar = raycasting = slow
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

Camouflage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camouflage   Camouflage EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 12:03 pm

Sonar could be simplified by taking all nearby objects (including plants/trees) and making the sonar's accuracy inversely proportional to the amount of feedback received (in other words, the more or bigger the objects around are, the less accurate would it be).

As for the camo methods suggested, so far I like none of them. Alaska's raycasting method would probably require multiple raycasts per creature and thus would be slow as all the hell. Taking the average colour of the environment has it's flaws too; take a forest for example - the ground and the treetops are all green, but the middle is brown. If green would be considered a camo color, then a green bird sitting on a brown trunk would be 'invisible'.
Back to top Go down
tklarenb
Learner
tklarenb

Camouflage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camouflage   Camouflage EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 1:51 pm

Commander Keen wrote:

As for the camo methods suggested, so far I like none of them. Alaska's raycasting method would probably require multiple raycasts per creature and thus would be slow as all the hell. Taking the average colour of the environment has it's flaws too; take a forest for example - the ground and the treetops are all green, but the middle is brown. If green would be considered a camo color, then a green bird sitting on a brown trunk would be 'invisible'.

Maybe different heights in the forest could take different values depending on tree height. Ground and canopy would be green, while in between would be brown.
Back to top Go down
GhengopelALPHA
Newcomer
GhengopelALPHA

Camouflage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camouflage   Camouflage EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 2:20 pm

This issue is quickly getting complicated, but I will say that probably the best solution for unobserved background simulation is taking the average color of an environment. For player observed (ie, in range of the player) ray-casting may be the only realistic solution. If we keep the range low, maybe it won't take too much CPU? And aren't we going to be raycasting anyway when creatures check to see what they can see? Maybe I don't understand the concept of raycasting and alternatives, but I don't see any way around this issue other than generalizing the ecosystem and creature colors.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Camouflage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camouflage   Camouflage EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 4:10 pm

GhengopelALPHA wrote:
This issue is quickly getting complicated, but I will say that probably the best solution for unobserved background simulation is taking the average color of an environment. For player observed (ie, in range of the player) ray-casting may be the only realistic solution. If we keep the range low, maybe it won't take too much CPU? And aren't we going to be raycasting anyway when creatures check to see what they can see? Maybe I don't understand the concept of raycasting and alternatives, but I don't see any way around this issue other than generalizing the ecosystem and creature colors.
I like this.

Raycasting for actual gameplay, averagres or multiple averages for evolution purposes.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

Camouflage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camouflage   Camouflage EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 4:38 pm

Quote :
Raycasting for actual gameplay, averagres or multiple averages for evolution purposes.

Sounds good.

As for the raycasting, the issue is that for the visibility test, you only need one raycast for each creature. When you check for visibility, you need to make a few more random raycasts on the body and then another few raycasts around it, and then compare the results of those. If the general color of the creature was stored, we could use it to skip all the raycasts on the body. That still leaves us with the rays casted on the background, though, a problem if we use any realistic view distances.

A solution may be randomly casting a few shortrange rays from the viewed creature itself and then comparing the result with the creature's stored average color value.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Camouflage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camouflage   Camouflage EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 7:14 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
Quote :
<==that's kind of what I was getting at.

Sounds good.

As for the raycasting, the issue is that for the visibility test, you only need one raycast for each creature. When you check for visibility, you need to make a few more random raycasts on the body and then another few raycasts around it, and then compare the results of those. If the general color of the creature was stored, we could use it to skip all the raycasts on the body. That still leaves us with the rays casted on the background, though, a problem if we use any realistic view distances.

A solution may be randomly casting a few shortrange rays from the viewed creature itself and then comparing the result with the creature's stored average color value.

Sounds good.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Camouflage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camouflage   Camouflage EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 7:25 pm

Now, shapes.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Camouflage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camouflage   Camouflage EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 7:26 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Now, shapes.
No.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Camouflage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camouflage   Camouflage EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 7:28 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:
Now, shapes.
No.
Then won't sonar reliant organisms have inherently better chances?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Camouflage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camouflage   Camouflage EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 7:58 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:
Now, shapes.
No.
Yes, but sonar is energy-intensive, whereas having eyes uses no energy, so sonar is only useful if your eyes are not. (like in the dark and in murky waters)
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Camouflage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camouflage   Camouflage EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 8:01 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:
Now, shapes.
No.
Yes, but sonar is energy-intensive, whereas having eyes uses no energy, so sonar is only useful if your eyes are not. (like in the dark and in murky waters)
Ah! And there balance is found.

And we're not going to include mimicry I assume. Too difficult.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Camouflage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camouflage   Camouflage Empty

Back to top Go down

Camouflage
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Thrive Game Development :: Development :: Design :: Editors :: Organism-
Jump to: