Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Camouflage - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Camouflage - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Camouflage - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Camouflage - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Camouflage - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Camouflage - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Camouflage - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Camouflage - Page 2 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Camouflage - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Camouflage - Page 2 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Camouflage - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Camouflage - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Camouflage - Page 2 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Camouflage - Page 2 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Camouflage - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Camouflage - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Camouflage - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Camouflage - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Camouflage - Page 2 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Camouflage - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Camouflage

Go down 
+8
GhengopelALPHA
Commander Keen
roadkillguy
Redstar
tklarenb
~sciocont
US_of_Alaska
Tenebrarum
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Camouflage - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camouflage   Camouflage - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 8:06 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:
Now, shapes.
No.
Then won't sonar reliant organisms have inherently better chances?
Yes, but sonar is energy-intensive, whereas having eyes uses no energy, so sonar is only useful if your eyes are not. (like in the dark and in murky waters)
Ah! And there balance is found.

And we're not going to include mimicry I assume. Too difficult.
I'll think on it. We can include warning coloration, though. All that is is obvious patterns and bright colors, so we just need animals to have bold colors. It doesn't even matter what the colors are.

Actually, we might be able to do mimicry, but it depends on how we program the texturing process. If we do it in a spore-like way, then both batesian and mullerian mimicry would be possible.
Back to top Go down
Poisson
Regular
Poisson

PostSubject: Re: Camouflage   Camouflage - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 1:33 am

~sciocont wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:

I'll think on it. We can include warning coloration, though. All that is is obvious patterns and bright colors, so we just need animals to have bold colors. It doesn't even matter what the colors are.

Actually, we might be able to do mimicry, but it depends on how we program the texturing process. If we do it in a spore-like way, then both batesian and mullerian mimicry would be possible.
So how will the game decide on what is supposed to be a warning, ie how do we get creatures to make the jump of "Yum, easy to spot food!" to "Ew, bright colors..."
Back to top Go down
Zetal
Newcomer
Zetal

PostSubject: Re: Camouflage   Camouflage - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 5:58 pm

Poisson wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:

So how will the game decide on what is supposed to be a warning, ie how do we get creatures to make the jump of "Yum, easy to spot food!" to "Ew, bright colors..."
Forgive if I'm making rash assumptions here, but if the engine can already recognize when a creature is camouflaged, shouldn't it be relatively easy to use that same system to detect 'strong' colors? ie, ones that have particularly high RGB values?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Camouflage   Camouflage - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 7:30 pm

Poisson wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:

It's simple, the game just chooses colors that are NOT camo colors- anything opposite of what the camo colors are, and preferably something bright. We can write in an aversion to those colors instead of having the NPCs actually learn things, which we obviously can't do on such large scales.

Last edited by ~sciocont on Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Zetal
Newcomer
Zetal

PostSubject: Re: Camouflage   Camouflage - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 7:31 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Poisson wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:

It's simple, the game just chooses colors that are NOT camo colors- anything opposite of what the camo colors are, and preferably something bright.

lol, that makes alot more sense than what I said. xD
But yea, that works much better. =)
Back to top Go down
Mixotroph
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Camouflage   Camouflage - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 5:12 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Okay, so right now, we need to discuss camo. It's almost weirdly important in the natural world, and should be mimicked if possible. After all, you're far more likely to survive if you avoid the fight rather than expending the resources and energy required to win one.

The key here is color comparison, and the computer's ability to notice something out of the ordinary in an environment. That is very, very, very difficult to program, as it effectively requires the computer to start to generalize, an action that is inherently animal.

Discuss.

If Mixotrophs are added and they are a mixotroph that can photosynthesize and feed on other organisms, if they are the same color as the plants around them, wouldn't they blend in, and thus be camoflauged?
Back to top Go down
tklarenb
Learner
tklarenb

PostSubject: Re: Camouflage   Camouflage - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 5:42 pm

Mixotroph wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:
Okay, so right now, we need to discuss camo. It's almost weirdly important in the natural world, and should be mimicked if possible. After all, you're far more likely to survive if you avoid the fight rather than expending the resources and energy required to win one.

The key here is color comparison, and the computer's ability to notice something out of the ordinary in an environment. That is very, very, very difficult to program, as it effectively requires the computer to start to generalize, an action that is inherently animal.

Discuss.

If Mixotrophs are added and they are a mixotroph that can photosynthesize and feed on other organisms, if they are the same color as the plants around them, wouldn't they blend in, and thus be camoflauged?
I don't see what distinction there is between mixotrophs and other creatures in regards to camoflauge. All creatures that are similar in color to the plants around them would be camoflauged. Being a mixotroph has nothing to do with it. But to answer your question, yes, just like any other creature, they would be camouflaged.
Back to top Go down
Mixotroph
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Camouflage   Camouflage - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 6:52 pm

tklarenb wrote:
Mixotroph wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:

Discuss.

I don't see what distinction there is between mixotrophs and other creatures in regards to camoflauge. All creatures that are similar in color to the plants around them would be camoflauged. Being a mixotroph has nothing to do with it. But to answer your question, yes, just like any other creature, they would be camouflaged.

They could use their camoflague to find a good spot to photoynthesize if they are photosynthetic, but then you might get nommed on by herbivores.
Back to top Go down
Deathbite42
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Camouflage   Camouflage - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 10:45 pm

I had a better idea about camo. Instead of simply calling it, "light green" for two shades and blasting our programmers, couldn't we tone things down and only give a few specific pre-made colors that can be used? And also, mixotrophs that are carnivores would WANT to do that, so they can attract herbivores to nom on!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Camouflage   Camouflage - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Camouflage
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Thrive Game Development :: Development :: Design :: Editors :: Organism-
Jump to: