Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions - Page 2 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions - Page 2 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions - Page 2 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions - Page 2 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions - Page 2 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions

Go down 
+3
tklarenb
Zetal
GamerXA
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Zetal
Newcomer
Zetal

Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions   Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 9:21 pm

~sciocont wrote:
The reason for sleep being safe is that somebody will be pretty pissed if they wake up dead for no apparent reason.
Waking up in response to a crisis would be an easy solution to that. Creature awakens in danger, player takes control. Or, if the danger is much greater, and the player is disadvantaged to the point of being sleep-ambushed an insta-kill, then the player has no right to be pissed. It is their responsibility, as the player, to guide their creature in a way that ensures high fitness in nature. If they fail to take into account vulnerability during sleep, it isn't the games responsibility to turn on easy mode.

Just my opinion, of course, but there are natural methods in our world that creatures avoid dying in their sleep. Behaviorally, some creatures keep watch while others sleep, and this process works cyclically so all creatures in a group sleep. Biologically, some creatures only "Half" sleep for an allotted time and then switch to the other half, while still being able to view their surroundings. This method would need to be interpreted by the game as an automatic 'awareness' indicator while 'sleep' occurs, giving players a greater ability to avoid danger while sleeping.

In other words, what Poisson said. I personally see no issue with a system like this.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions   Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 9:48 pm

Zetal wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
The reason for sleep being safe is that somebody will be pretty pissed if they wake up dead for no apparent reason.
Waking up in response to a crisis would be an easy solution to that. Creature awakens in danger, player takes control. Or, if the danger is much greater, and the player is disadvantaged to the point of being sleep-ambushed an insta-kill, then the player has no right to be pissed. It is their responsibility, as the player, to guide their creature in a way that ensures high fitness in nature. If they fail to take into account vulnerability during sleep, it isn't the games responsibility to turn on easy mode.

Just my opinion, of course, but there are natural methods in our world that creatures avoid dying in their sleep. Behaviorally, some creatures keep watch while others sleep, and this process works cyclically so all creatures in a group sleep. Biologically, some creatures only "Half" sleep for an allotted time and then switch to the other half, while still being able to view their surroundings. This method would need to be interpreted by the game as an automatic 'awareness' indicator while 'sleep' occurs, giving players a greater ability to avoid danger while sleeping.

In other words, what Poisson said. I personally see no issue with a system like this.
Yes, you should be woken up when there is danger. as for the sleep modes, we discussed that in the circadian tab thread.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions   Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 10:02 pm

I think that 8 - 12 days for a year is far, far too short, especially if a day is only 10 minutes in length. At that rate, growth of creatures over time would be very visible, and leisurely players like myself would hardly have time to smell the roses before we're forced to meet objectives.

If anything, I think that we need to give players a little too much time to do things. I, for one, find it far more rewarding to slowly grow into a game and figure out it's mechanics over time than too immedietly have to rush to do things.

On another note, I feel that we really should make sure the player develops an emotional attachment to both their species and their world. I don't think progression at such a breakneck speed will provide this. In Spore, I couldn't have cared less for my Homeworld. When it came under attack, I would casually brush it off and continue messing around with landscaping tools. At the same time, one of the most emotional experiences I've had in gaming has been defending my home from a siege in Mount and Blade, or leaving my base in Minecraft. I want Thrive to sit among the latter.

And before I go, let me repeat something I heard: Space and Aware stages will likely be the longest.

Why? Seriously, why?

I understand that the microbial stages will almost by necessity have to be the shortest, I have no qualms with that, but why in Zarquon's Holy Name must society and industrial be glazed over again? I cannot begin to stress the importance of these periods in history, et igitur, in Thrive. They are the foundations of the player's style, culture, and identity. And, most importantly, they are quite literally the same exact stage as space, minus some technology.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions   Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 12:35 am

I realize that t's short, but we need to consider evolution, which will take a hell of a lot of time. Also, for many animals in the game, there's really nothing you can do but eat and avoid being eaten. I think playing that for four or five hours a generation would get tiresome quickly, especially in early builds.
what would you suggest be the time for a generation?
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

PostSubject: Re: Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions   Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 2:33 am

~sciocont wrote:
I realize that t's short, but we need to consider evolution, which will take a hell of a lot of time. Also, for many animals in the game, there's really nothing you can do but eat and avoid being eaten. I think playing that for four or five hours a generation would get tiresome quickly, especially in early builds.
what would you suggest be the time for a generation?

What about other activities that the player could do during each generation. Such as interacting with others of their species, defending territory, hunting, running away, finding fresh pastures, scavenging, migration, climbing/swinging from trees, exploration of terrain (that would quite noticeably change between generations) and most importantly of all, directing their species' behaviour.

I agree that we would have to make drastic changes that would make gameplay somewhat exaggerated, but I think that we underestimate the amount of activity that each individual generation would include.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions   Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 10:54 am

GamerXA wrote:
What about other activities that the player could do during each generation. Such as interacting with others of their species, defending territory, hunting, running away, finding fresh pastures, scavenging, migration, climbing/swinging from trees, exploration of terrain (that would quite noticeably change between generations) and most importantly of all, directing their species' behaviour.

I agree that we would have to make drastic changes that would make gameplay somewhat exaggerated, but I think that we underestimate the amount of activity that each individual generation would include.

QFT

In regards to timescale, I'd say give it a 15-30 day year, and tweak from there.
Back to top Go down
tklarenb
Learner
tklarenb

PostSubject: Re: Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions   Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 11:41 am

Tenebrarum wrote:
GamerXA wrote:

QFT

In regards to timescale, I'd say give it a 15-30 day year, and tweak from there.

Some people who play this game will want to play the later stages more than the earlier. Sure, some people (myself included) wouldn't mind huge amounts of time for each generation, but it will piss other people off that want to get to sapience and have to play literally weeks to get there. With the 8-day timescale, the shortest time to play through the Organism Stage would likely be a week. That's huge already. Yes, I actually agree with you that I'd like the generations to be longer, but you have to think about how other people might like to play it, and reach a happy medium for everyone. I think the 8 day year is that medium.
Back to top Go down
tklarenb
Learner
tklarenb

PostSubject: Re: Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions   Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 12:05 pm

Here's a way to make everyone happy. The player knows best how they want to play the game. So I say let them decide. Have an option in the settings for how long the player wants a year to last, with a slider with scio's 8-day year being the minimum, and Tenebrarum's 15-30 day year as the maximum. That way, people who want to play either way or in between can all be happy.
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

PostSubject: Re: Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions   Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 4:26 pm

Another possibility is to have the player be able to jump right into Sapience with a 'Speed Evolution' function that rapidly generates believable terrain on a Planet and the inhabiting Species. Obviously this would be less accurate than playing through the Organism Phase.

The player could possibly decide whether they want a somewhat random Species to control (that the computer has generated). Or if they specify the Organism and have something like a backwards generation of the rest of the planet?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions   Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 7:11 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
GamerXA wrote:

QFT

That will be part of gameplay, and is important, but for most animals, life is about eating.
Rex, how long would you want each day to be, in real time?
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions   Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 12:54 pm

I retract my former statement. Go with what you feel would be best. We'll tweak from there.

What I had been concerned with, and previously unable to adequately communicate, is that developments and change occurs at increasing rapidity over time. We need to make sure the early stage aren't boring, but at the same time give ample time for political machinations and intrigue later on.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions   Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 7:13 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
I retract my former statement. Go with what you feel would be best. We'll tweak from there.

What I had been concerned with, and previously unable to adequately communicate, is that developments and change occurs at increasing rapidity over time. We need to make sure the early stage aren't boring, but at the same time give ample time for political machinations and intrigue later on.
I'm glad we understand each other. As much as I respect your wish to create emotional ties and realistic gameplay, it's something that we need to overlook, at least at first, to get the game up and running.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions   Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Organism-Mode Speed and the Gap between Evolutions
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2