Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal

Go down 
+5
Tenebrarum
~sciocont
The Uteen
US_of_Alaska
tklarenb
9 posters
AuthorMessage
tklarenb
Learner
tklarenb

Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal Empty
PostSubject: Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal   Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 1:18 pm

I've been reading some of the recent threads targeted towards specific parts of being a domesticated animal, and there's some good stuff there. However, if you go for the big picture, being a domesticated animal is very boring compared to a wild one. Sure, creatures domesticated as pets like dogs and cats will still have enough freedom to keep the game interesting, but then there's livestock.

If the creature that domesticated you is primitive enough, you'll still have enough freedom that it'll still feel like you're a wild animal that's just in symbiosis with another species, but we get in trouble once the domesticator starts getting more advanced.

Unlike in ancient times when livestock still had to deal with predators and were often herded across the landscape, livestock of today on Earth are basically just stuck in fenced areas to be fattened up and killed. They usually don't have to worry about predators, and food is almost always given to them. How will we keep the player engaged enough that they're content to stay in the stockyards instead of trying to escape back into the wild out of sheer boredom?
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal   Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 7:15 pm

Hrm... I will have to think hard about this one and get back to you. It would indeed be very boring to be kept as livestock in a modern day scenario. More importantly, you'll have a whole lot less control over how your evolution happens. I'll try to keep this in the back of my mind for a while and wait for an epiphany.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal   Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 12:28 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Hrm... I will have to think hard about this one and get back to you. It would indeed be very boring to be kept as livestock in a modern day scenario. More importantly, you'll have a whole lot less control over how your evolution happens. I'll try to keep this in the back of my mind for a while and wait for an epiphany.
There's always the 'Chicken Run' option. Finding ways to escape being livestock might be interesting. However, that would probably result in the player's species then escaping and so not being livestock, which defeats the point of interesting domesticated gameplay...
We could always leave livestock-type domestication as the easy way out, for people wanting to do so for whatever reason, even though it means boring gameplay (possibly just until they later escape?) (For example, when at risk of going extinct (ensured survival option) or for research on a sentient species (livestock conspiracy ).
Doing this to survive would result in this option being a kind of success (ensured survival) yet failure (no control of species) route which could result in domestication not being a kind of gameplay, but a gameplay element. Domestication would be a short-term safe haven, but with the additional risk of not being able to escape again later...
Back to top Go down
tklarenb
Learner
tklarenb

PostSubject: Re: Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal   Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 12:48 pm

The Uteen wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:
There's always the 'Chicken Run' option. Finding ways to escape being livestock might be interesting. However, that would probably result in the player's species then escaping and so not being livestock, which defeats the point of interesting domesticated gameplay...
We could always leave livestock-type domestication as the easy way out, for people wanting to do so for whatever reason, even though it means boring gameplay (possibly just until they later escape?) (For example, when at risk of going extinct (ensured survival option) or for research on a sentient species (livestock conspiracy ).
Doing this to survive would result in this option being a kind of success (ensured survival) yet failure (no control of species) route which could result in domestication not being a kind of gameplay, but a gameplay element. Domestication would be a short-term safe haven, but with the additional risk of not being able to escape again later...
I don't think having the prime goal be to escape is a very good idea. It should definitely be an option, but limiting yourself to just escaping means you'll go wild very quickly, which is not very realistic and gives pretty much no incentive to WANT to become domesticated besides, as you mentioned, as an escape from extinction. We may have to go with gameplay radically different than wild gameplay, but what type, I haven't figured out yet.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal   Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 8:04 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
I think this may be a real problem for the player, but it could be a real benefit as well. Your evolution could be sped up if you are domesticated, so if at any point you decide to try to go back to the wild and become feral, you would be more highly evolved and may have traits that drastically affect your gameplay.
Back to top Go down
tklarenb
Learner
tklarenb

PostSubject: Re: Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal   Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 9:05 pm

~sciocont wrote:
I think this may be a real problem for the player, but it could be a real benefit as well. Your evolution could be sped up if you are domesticated, so if at any point you decide to try to go back to the wild and become feral, you would be more highly evolved and may have traits that drastically affect your gameplay.
But isn't the reason for sped up evolution selective breeding by the domesticator, meaning the player wouldn't really have control over it? And domesticated animals that go feral tend to devolve back into their ancestral form since it's rare for domesticated traits to be advantageous in the wild. Some have been bred so far that it would be extremely hard to survive back in the wild.

For example, look at the differences in breeds in dogs and how they look compared to wolves.. Dogs like pugs are bred mainly to look cute, but that's horrible for a wild animal. If a population of them was released into the wild, they would probably not survive long enough to devolve back to their ancestral form. Dogs like German shepherds, on the other hand, are bred for roles more similar to what their ancestors had to deal with, meaning their body stayed close enough that they could probably survive. We should take instances like this into account.

Back to the first point, being bred means loss of control for the players. Is there any way we can give the player more control in other areas?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal   Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 9:49 pm

Loss of control should be a consequence of the safety of domestication. While it is true that domesticated animals revert back to feral roots quickly (pigs revert to their roots in just months), domestication allows you to dramatically expand your range. You can essentially become an invasive species, brought to new places by your domesticators. As much as we see that as a bad thing, it's great for you if you want your species to succeed.
Back to top Go down
tklarenb
Learner
tklarenb

PostSubject: Re: Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal   Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 3:28 pm

Okay, we've established that domestication will limit the controls that wild animals have, but will have the added benefits of domestication such as protection and sped up evolution. Is there any features we could add that are unique to domesticated animals that will make the gameplay enjoyable? Because in my opinion, those benefits, while handy, aren't really enough to make the player want to stay domesticated for extended periods of time. If I were playing this, I'd only become domesticated as a quick fix in case my species is doing badly so I could evolve and reproduce rapidly, then go back into the wild to see how well I do, almost like I was domesticating the domesticator just to advance my own species (not very realistic).
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal   Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 11:47 pm

When you are domesticated, you must have some sort of job. Gameplay would consist of doing that job. You could be a hunting animal, a pack animal, a herder, a guard. All of those jobs are things that you could do. Domestication is simply a specific case of mutualism.
Back to top Go down
tklarenb
Learner
tklarenb

PostSubject: Re: Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal   Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 10:24 am

~sciocont wrote:
When you are domesticated, you must have some sort of job. Gameplay would consist of doing that job. You could be a hunting animal, a pack animal, a herder, a guard. All of those jobs are things that you could do. Domestication is simply a specific case of mutualism.
That works for some animals, but again, what about livestock? Their job is to get fat and be killed, not exactly what I call fun. And what about pets similar to hamsters or goldfish? There is really no job that fits with them.

In any case, I think the job idea is a step in the right direction.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal   Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 11:43 am

tklarenb wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
That works for some animals, but again, what about livestock? Their job is to get fat and be killed, not exactly what I call fun. And what about pets similar to hamsters or goldfish? There is really no job that fits with them.

In any case, I think the job idea is a step in the right direction.
I guess if you're livestock, you're pretty much screwed gameplay-wise until you can escape. You'll still have the benefits of domestication, just no job.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal   Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 10:28 am

I concider this a low priority. I want to make sure we have a good pseudo-terran model down before we move on to weirder possibilities.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal   Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 6:42 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
I concider this a low priority. I want to make sure we have a good pseudo-terran model down before we move on to weirder possibilities.
Yeah, but we may as well discuss it now, since there isn't much else that seems to be going on.
Back to top Go down
Cats123

PostSubject: Re: Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal   Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 8:50 pm

Here is an idea. Animals kept like hamsters/goldfish (in this game) sort of live their life with interaction from the domesticator and have a sort of needs bar, like the sims, but better. You are held in a sort of shelter with (maybe) other similar pets that you can interact with and perhaps, if you feel so inclined, pull a Nemo and escape,(naturally being harder due to size and domestic traits) if you choose not to escape..... have fun being domestic by enjoying the company of your owner(unless you are a fish, in which case you can eat other fish for combat or form symbiotic realations).
Back to top Go down
Rorsten594
Newcomer
Rorsten594

PostSubject: Re: Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal   Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 11:16 am

What about urban animals like racoons and pigeons?
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal   Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 2:08 pm

Not only is this thread old, the entire concept of playing as a domesticated animal is ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal   Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 10:41 pm

roadkillguy wrote:
Not only is this thread old, the entire concept of playing as a domesticated animal is ridiculous.
That's why people like you and I allow others to waste their time on it.
Back to top Go down
Rorsten594
Newcomer
Rorsten594

PostSubject: Re: Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal   Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 3:55 pm

~sciocont wrote:
roadkillguy wrote:

Maybe some of us want to play as a domestic animal,no disrespect but it's true
Back to top Go down
nziswat
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal   Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 5:36 pm

Rorsten594 wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
roadkillguy wrote:

Maybe some of us want to play as a domestic animal,no disrespect but it's true
This is true as i would LOVE to play as some kind of a snake and escape
Back to top Go down
Rorsten594
Newcomer
Rorsten594

PostSubject: Re: Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal   Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 4:19 pm

i know this is probably answered somewhere but will it be possible to have to be beaten in the race to sapience?
what i mean is what happens if your a rat like creature and then some other spieces reachs sapience before you do is there any way to still become sapient or a urban animal perhaps?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal   Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal Empty

Back to top Go down

Keeping gameplay interesting as a domesticated animal
Page 1 of 1