Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Outreach Discussion - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Outreach Discussion - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Outreach Discussion - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Outreach Discussion - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Outreach Discussion - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Outreach Discussion - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Outreach Discussion - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Outreach Discussion - Page 2 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Outreach Discussion - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Outreach Discussion - Page 2 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Outreach Discussion - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Outreach Discussion - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Outreach Discussion - Page 2 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Outreach Discussion - Page 2 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Outreach Discussion - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Outreach Discussion - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Outreach Discussion - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Outreach Discussion - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Outreach Discussion - Page 2 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Outreach Discussion - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Outreach Discussion

Go down 
+12
TheRabiesGuineaPig
crovea
Mouthwash
EVanimations
SchrodingersKitty
WilliamstheJohn
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Xazo-Tak
Rorsten594
PTFace
The Uteen
NickTheNick
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
moopli
Developer
moopli

Outreach Discussion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Outreach Discussion   Outreach Discussion - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 07, 2014 1:41 pm

Good ideas -- one nitpick: the GPL is a software license. It is not designed to work well for content like images, models, textures, concept discussions, the GDDs, literature, help text, podcasts, and the like. We have to decide the rights we're willing to give people for each of those. For example, many open-source projects put everything under CC BY-SA, under the name of their organization. This, I think, is a good idea, especially for all our refined concepts -- share the fruits of our labours, and encourage paying it forward, as it were.

However, many artists might prefer to keep the copyright in their own hands (for example, Oliveriver might want to be able to make derivatives of the works he's made for Thrive someday, and put them under his own copyright), and we have to respect that too. That's why I'm opening the floor on this particular question.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Outreach Discussion   Outreach Discussion - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 07, 2014 3:13 pm

How about we by default adopt the CC BY-SA license, but give any contributing artist or composer the option to keep personal copyright?
Back to top Go down
moopli
Developer
moopli

PostSubject: Re: Outreach Discussion   Outreach Discussion - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 07, 2014 4:45 pm

Sounds perfect. What do we do about content that's been posted here already? There's a slight chance that someone who posted art or something here some time ago might come back and complain. What we can do is just ask the prominent content-producers, they'll probably agree, and then for any other random bits of content we can assume we have permission, or assume we don't have permission. I lean towards being careful with these sorts of things, so unless we have a lot of content made by posters that are now gone (which I doubt, seeing as apart from music we have very little, and iirc the understanding over on the music forum is that music made fir thrive is released under some permissive license anyway), we shouldn't lose out on much by assuming we don't.

Last edited by moopli on Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : making more sense)
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: Outreach Discussion   Outreach Discussion - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 08, 2014 2:47 pm

So far I've assumed my music has been part of Thrive and the CC BY-SA license - I personally have no problem with other people taking the melody of, say, the Main Theme and creating their own version providing it's credited as such, although the Share-Alike license may become problematic if I was to make derivative works, even off of my own music, with the intention of anything other than it being freely available. Especially if I based it off the Main Theme, which I suppose I'm exercising use of the license through having remixed Hongchong7's original.

There's a whole vista of other nuances with the music and copyright - we've been considering the possibility of using music from other sources (much later in development of course, once we might actually have the recognition to ask for something like that), and of course there's the problem that 90% of "Thrive's" music from 2012 to early 2013 wasn't actually created by our own composers, but I think by now that can be effectively swept under the carpet as we don't intend to use any of the mis-attributed themes.

Anyway, on the subject of a template advertisement, would a video suffice to give much of the explanation? At the moment I don't think it's in any way a viable strategy - the Thrive Indie Game Preview is just a series of images and text boxes, and a large amount of the negativity it's received has been a result of this, but without actual gameplay there's not much more we can show. Once the next release is done I suggest a new version of this preview is created showcasing the gameplay footage (even if it doesn't really have the graphics many people will want) along with text and possibly animated diagrams of planned game mechanics. If the plan is to go forward with this advertising campaign after the next release, a video with actual gameplay may be far more effective in grabbing someone's attention. Of course, a further text description would still be useful, and would obviously have to include a download link.
Back to top Go down
http://oliverlugg.com/
tjblazer85
Newcomer
tjblazer85

PostSubject: Re: Outreach Discussion   Outreach Discussion - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 13, 2014 6:17 am

I was looking around the forums for something to do before my exams come up and I noticed that you guys need an artist to make advertisement posters and banners. If it's still needed I'll get right to it! Until my exams come up though but after that I'll be available for a long time.

Edit: If you guys have any specifics or any thing for the ads, tell me and I'll try my best!

Last edited by tjblazer85 on Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:26 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I forgot to write something here.)
Back to top Go down
TheRabiesGuineaPig
Learner
TheRabiesGuineaPig

PostSubject: Re: Outreach Discussion   Outreach Discussion - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 13, 2014 12:10 pm

We need to get a concept image of the microbe stage put together that shows what we want it to look like / expect it to look like when it's all neat and polished. This will hopefully put faith in the people that see the advert and think 'I don't want to play a game full of green doughnuts and hexagons! I want to play out cellular evolution!' The question is, do we really know what we want the finished microbe stage to look like? I mean, we have the old concepts but, if you compare them to videos of real cells under a microscope, they just look like spore without googly eyes. Also, there is somewhat of an 'inconsistency' with that and some of the other more realistic looking concepts. Personally, I feel that it should be realism all the way.
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: Outreach Discussion   Outreach Discussion - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 14, 2015 2:12 pm

Do we have a quasi-active trailer thread anywhere? If so this should probably be moved there.

With the new website near-complete, we need a better trailer than the Thrive Promotional Video, which, as several people have pointed out either in its comments or indirectly when the old website has been used in marketing, is pretty Belgium. Long paragraphs of text followed by assorted badly-presented concept art doesn't really scream potential for success, and has probably been responsible for turning away useful newcomers.

Also the Main Theme used is three versions out of date. That synth orchestra in the final crescendo...AAARGHWHYDIDIEVERTHINKTHATWASAGOODIDEAPLEASETAKETHISOFFTHEINTERNETRIGHTNOW.

Anyway, we really need a replacement, and I obviously can't be trusted to make anything cinematically acceptable. There are, however, five things I believe we need:

1. Gameplay footage - Once 0.2.4 is released this should be fairly easy to come by. In fact, the current unreleased build will suffice, as it's cosmetically identical to what should be released; only the overarching gameplay will change.
2. Rendered footage - See: Tritium's microbe stage trailers, although we can't rely too heavily on concept models for fear of over-promising on the game's existing appearance.
3. Shorter annotations and descriptions - One-line phrases mostly.
4. Concept art - Still arguably one of the most enticing parts of the game, we'll need at least some concept art. Who doesn't want to see The Disturbance get another outing? Obviously it'll have to be used a little more tactfully than before.
5. Better music - Any piece from the Microbe Stage Soundtrack will do, although I'd suggest either Vireo, Vigeo or The Saga of the Puddle. If necessary I've been considering a solo piano Main Theme variation, so I'd be happy to compose it if we need something a little more emotional.

So far we do have a couple of trailers already lying about, sections of which could be cut together to form the new one:
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

PostSubject: Re: Outreach Discussion   Outreach Discussion - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 7:24 am

Ta da!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Outreach Discussion   Outreach Discussion - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Outreach Discussion
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2