Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion

Go down 
+16
kingTherapsids
Tenebrarum
Slathazer
GamerXA
roadkillguy
MassimoV
ADMIN
Noitulove
YourBreakfast
The Uteen
Invader
DragonEye4
El_Noumo
eumesmo
US_of_Alaska
~sciocont
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion   Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 6:10 pm

~sciocont wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
Sounds quite tricky to program... Trying to take a shirt off or something if you don't know how to is hard, but making a program that tries to do that would take along time to program, and even then, you'd have bugs the size of houses.
Yes, but until someone comes up with something better it'll have to do. So hurry up and come up with something better, everyone!
We could just, you know, not care.
But then there will be no age of ponchos or robes!
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

PostSubject: Re: Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion   Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 9:59 pm

Wouldn't... physics decide that? I mean, if you invent a ridiculous type of shirt that's impossible to put on, whenever someone tries to put it on, they won't be able to. Then, you would have people running around shirtless because they can't figure out your stupid shirt. >_>

Also, what if you WANT a piece of clothing to be impossible to put on/off? Like what if it was stitched around the organism, so that it'd never be able to take it off? *couch*"Big Daddy" suit*cough* (Not that I expect you to know what it is...)
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion   Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 11:00 pm

InvaderZim wrote:
*couch*
You sound pretty bad, you're couching everywhere. Go see a doctor man. I suppose we could have the animal experiment with ways to put it on and take it off using a bit of logic in the test mode.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

PostSubject: Re: Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion   Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 5:03 pm

~sciocont wrote:
InvaderZim wrote:
*couch*
You sound pretty bad, you're couching everywhere. Go see a doctor man. I suppose we could have the animal experiment with ways to put it on and take it off using a bit of logic in the test mode.

I agree with both of your statements. *cough*
Back to top Go down
DragonEye4
Regular
DragonEye4

PostSubject: Re: Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion   Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 10:14 pm

InvaderZim wrote:
Wouldn't... physics decide that? I mean, if you invent a ridiculous type of shirt that's impossible to put on, whenever someone tries to put it on, they won't be able to. Then, you would have people running around shirtless because they can't figure out your stupid shirt. >_>

Also, what if you WANT a piece of clothing to be impossible to put on/off? Like what if it was stitched around the organism, so that it'd never be able to take it off? *couch*"Big Daddy" suit*cough* (Not that I expect you to know what it is...)
The Archduke of Austria, the one assassinated that began WW1, had his suits stitched around his body every morning, and then cut off every night.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

PostSubject: Re: Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion   Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 1:01 am

DragonEye4 wrote:
InvaderZim wrote:

The Archduke of Austria, the one assassinated that began WW1, had his suits stitched around his body every morning, and then cut off every night.

Hmmm... sounds like he had an ego problem, but... well, how would we work this into the game?
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion   Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 1:28 pm

Adding suits that are made around the organism would be the easier part, except it would mean everyone having a machine to create them every day, and it would use a lot of materials. Probably beast for when the species are interstellar, or at least planetary, so they have a lot of resources and power at the public's disposal.

The main problems are:

To the player an item of clothing could appear to be removable, but it might not be. What if they make a creature in the editor, then go straight to clothing, and aren't familiar with what positions the limbs can do? Some sort of 'action figure' of the creature could be added, to show positions that can be taken. A click and drag interface would be best for simplicity.

It will be hard making a program that can work out if it is possible to remove clothing. If the worst happens, and we just can't program it, we could use the action figure, add a 'grasp' button, and let the player do it.

Having the option to lower a hood will be difficult to incorporate, along with other things like rolling up sleeves, trouser legs, doing up and undoing a zip, and other things, including a similar variety of things other creatures could want to be able to do with clothing.

And somehow simple mechanical devises should be allowed to be added into the clothing design, such as an intercom, basic computer, holographic projector, torches (miner hats), and anything else you would (or wouldn't) want to make part of your clothes. Player made devises should be included, so the players are not limited to whatever we include, which definitely wouldn't and couldn't be everything.

Following that line of thought, organic things could be added once the god organism editor is unlocked, such as a plant that makes roots in the fabric, gets to a certain size, and stops growing, and energy from sunlight gets released in the dark, a living torch, or just a vine that grows all over the clothes and has many colours, for some sort of alien fashion.

Following that line of thought, those sorts of organisms could be used so much they become the clothing, and organisms don't need to make the clothes, rather grow them.

Following that line of thought, those sorts of organisms could be used so much they grow roots into their host organism, and become unremovable, and eventually form a symbiotic relationship with them.

Following that line of thought, those sorts of organisms could be used so much they become a sort of second layer of skin (or skin over the exoskeleton), and them the organism would then start wearing clothes again, forgetting that their external skin generations ago was once clothing!

Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion   Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 5:43 pm

Well i think people need to start a thread about clothing and the Tech Editor if they wish to discuss it further.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion   Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 10:28 pm

DragonEye4 wrote:
InvaderZim wrote:

Never knew that.
Back to top Go down
YourBreakfast
Learner
YourBreakfast

PostSubject: Re: Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion   Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 5:43 pm

I think, for clothing. We should have it in the Tech editor. It would just be a brush, and they'd paint on the clothes. Clothes would take up a lot of space if we have every creatures outfit uber complex.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion   Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 8:45 pm

YourBreakfast wrote:
I think, for clothing. We should have it in the Tech editor. It would just be a brush, and they'd paint on the clothes. Clothes would take up a lot of space if we have every creatures outfit uber complex.
As this is not a topic about clothing, please make a thread people!
Back to top Go down
DragonEye4
Regular
DragonEye4

PostSubject: Re: Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion   Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 9:50 pm

~sciocont wrote:
DragonEye4 wrote:
InvaderZim wrote:

Never knew that.
It was why he died, they could not take off the shirt to bind the wounds.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion   Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 10:27 pm

DragonEye4 wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
DragonEye4 wrote:
InvaderZim wrote:

Never knew that.
It was why he died, they could not take off the shirt to bind the wounds.
Excellent bit of trivia. but back on topic...
Back to top Go down
DragonEye4
Regular
DragonEye4

PostSubject: Re: Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion   Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 8:38 pm

So, should we rename it Society Editor, Civilization Editor, or something? As it covers more than culture.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion   Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 9:24 pm

DragonEye4 wrote:
So, should we rename it Society Editor, Civilization Editor, or something? As it covers more than culture.
i like Nation Editor.
Back to top Go down
DragonEye4
Regular
DragonEye4

PostSubject: Re: Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion   Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 9:31 pm

Nation I think would be good, as Nations are not always states, so if your people are ruled by another empire, you can still access the editor. That gets my vote.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion   Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 11:15 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
DragonEye4 wrote:
i like Nation Editor.
QFT
Back to top Go down
YourBreakfast
Learner
YourBreakfast

PostSubject: Re: Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion   Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 26, 2010 11:09 am

Nation seems right. It pretty much covers all the other areas that aren't covered by the OE and TE.
Back to top Go down
DragonEye4
Regular
DragonEye4

PostSubject: Re: Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion   Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 8:52 pm

We are in agreement, so should ADMIN change the name of the section?
Back to top Go down
Noitulove
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion   Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 10:27 pm

DragonEye4 wrote:

I suppose. That is, if he gets on. He rarely gets on.
Back to top Go down
ADMIN
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion   Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 11:36 pm

Noitulove wrote:
DragonEye4 wrote:

I suppose. That is, if he gets on. He rarely gets on.
ADMIN has fulfilled your request. You shall now cease to criticize ADMIN.
Back to top Go down
https://thrivegame.canadaboard.net
Noitulove
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion   Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 31, 2010 1:28 am

Aw, I kind of liked the previous name...it might be just me with no reasonable explanation, but I always had a certain feeling that it covered more overall categories. When I think 'Nation' I think a large-ish faction of a piece of land dominated by sientent beings. If it were up to me, and I had the chance I'd call it 'Faction' editor.

Ah well.
Back to top Go down
MassimoV
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion   Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 7:35 pm

I was thinking a nice little feature would be to create your own flag and coat of arms. Also if you are in a war that is more in modern times, should there be a handbook of rules you have to follow. If you don't fallow them, even more wars with your nation will start.
Back to top Go down
eumesmo
Regular
eumesmo

PostSubject: Re: Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion   Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 7:57 pm

you mean something like war ethics? deployment of nukes, bio weps, treating war prisioners... i think that depends of the type of nation you have and the other nation type.... But a "handbook of rules you have to follow" is a bad concept cause that goes against technological advancement.... those strict rules of the samurai were worthless against machine guns....
Back to top Go down
MassimoV
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion   Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 9:23 pm

I understand. Your right.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion   Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next