Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 4 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 4 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 4 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 4 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 4 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 4 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 4 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 4 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 4 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 4 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 4 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 4 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion

Go down 
+16
kingTherapsids
Tenebrarum
Slathazer
GamerXA
roadkillguy
MassimoV
ADMIN
Noitulove
YourBreakfast
The Uteen
Invader
DragonEye4
El_Noumo
eumesmo
US_of_Alaska
~sciocont
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
kingTherapsids
Newcomer

Location : USA! USA! USA!....crap im falling for nationalism... XD

Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion   Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 19, 2012 8:55 am

NickTheNick wrote:
kingTherapsids wrote:
could there be more than one religion? because i loved founding religion in civ 4 like a boss!

also for the policies will there be some type of culture polacies in civ 5?

examples: liberty, freedom, honor, tradition, piety, autocracy, ect.

Religions will be randomly generated, and not just one but multiple. I do not know if players can customize their own. There are cultural policies, somewhat similar to Civ 5, under general themes close to what you listed. In Thrive they are instead called Cultural Traits. You can find the brainstorming thread for them here. I would appreciate if you contributed some of your own suggestions for our list.

ok i understand. but i relly am a huge fan of civ. so i would like the civ stage/sentient stage should be kind of like it.

but heres an idea. how about civilization is just the idea of staying in one place and not seperate from tribal phase/stage or what ever. just have it so if your a carnivore its animal husbandry, if herbivore agriculture, an if omnivorous bolth. then the animal husbandry leads to trapping and other techs, but in a different fashion to the herbivore tech tree, so have the tech tree in the editor but branch out in multiple ways.

example:
carnivore: animal husbandry:unlocks: civilization, the fence, and walls leads to: trapping: unlocks the trap

hunting: first tech you get for free-leads to: skinning: unlocks: clothing, hide made maps, and hide tents/huts/teepes

before you get the civ. policy/cultural traits you are a tribal/nomadic ''people'' so to say...

but techs lead to many things so you will have more than one thing that infulences your people enough to call it a start or end of an era so to say..

eras: you mark in your history where it starts then name it, after that you say when it ends. example: mideval times ended with the invention of the printing press, and caused mass literacy, and began the rennassance.

the industrial revoloution started with the steam engine, and cause the mass production of goods and the first factories.

what do you think of these?
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion   Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 19, 2012 7:36 pm

kingTherapsids wrote:
ok i understand. but i relly am a huge fan of civ. so i would like the civ stage/sentient stage should be kind of like it.

Remember, we are making our own unique game here. Although it is fine to get some good ideas from other games, we don't want to be similar to them.

kingTherapsids wrote:
but heres an idea. how about civilization is just the idea
of staying in one place and not seperate from tribal phase/stage or what
ever. just have it so if your a carnivore its animal husbandry, if
herbivore agriculture, an if omnivorous bolth. then the animal husbandry
leads to trapping and other techs, but in a different fashion to the
herbivore tech tree, so have the tech tree in the editor but branch out
in multiple ways.

There is already a tech tree that branches out in different ways like you said. I am not sure if it is based off of your species' diet, but only a few techs would even be affected by that. I will mention that point to Alaska.

kingTherapsids wrote:
before you get the civ. policy/cultural traits you are a tribal/nomadic ''people'' so to say...

but
techs lead to many things so you will have more than one thing that
infulences your people enough to call it a start or end of an era so to
say..

eras: you mark in your history where it starts then name
it, after that you say when it ends. example: mideval times ended with
the invention of the printing press, and caused mass literacy, and began
the rennassance.

the industrial revoloution started with the steam engine, and cause the mass production of goods and the first factories.

what do you think of these?

Civilization is not something tangible or measurable. There is no clear tech or advancement that gives "civilization". It is a gradual transition. There is no civilization stage in Thrive. Instead, the there is a transition from awakening stage to society stage once your species starts coming together into communities and societies, hence the name. So in other words, there is no clear distinction between when you are a civilization and when you are tribal. Industrial stage is entered once a certain level of technology has been discovered to develop industrial machines. It is not confined to only the invention of the steam engine. There are no cutscenes are major changes to interrupt the flow of the game during these transitions.

There will be general shifts and trends in economies, societies, militaries, and governments, but these are not clearly defined by the game. Instead the player can go into their history, highlight a certain span of their history, and label it as a certain age or era or whatever.
Back to top Go down
kingTherapsids
Newcomer

Location : USA! USA! USA!....crap im falling for nationalism... XD

PostSubject: Re: Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion   Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 19, 2012 8:58 pm

NO CUTSCENES!!! this game is to good to be true! im glad that these methods of the idea are used......:) this is geat news.

but i have one question. when you start diplomacy with a civ. will there be a option to draw boundaries of your borders and check with your neighbors to see if they agree? if you just do it this causes border disputes, and if they agree it may be ok or piss them off but they don't want to make you mad.
will this be implemented?
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion   Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 19, 2012 9:44 pm

Boundaries are calculated based off of certain variables I cannot recall. There is currently no concept of diplomatic options to change borders. It is an interesting idea, but I can't imagine how to model it mathematically.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion   Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Culture Editor Features/Usage Discussion
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4