Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

PPG- Procedural Planet Generator

Go down 
+22
Daniferrito
ExtraSolar
Holomanga
GamerXA
Deathbite42
Tenebrarum
Pezzalis
ido66667
Dr_Chillgood
Poisson
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Bashinerox
Invader
Noitulove
YourBreakfast
roadkillguy
eumesmo
Commander Keen
maker.of.light
The Uteen
US_of_Alaska
~sciocont
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 9:00 am

We will of course, save additional data for a planet. I'm thinking of having someone make a whole bunch of 1024x1024 texture maps that will represent different materials such as rock, black rock, red rock, grass, strange grass, sand, etc. Saved along with the planet will be a list of the different textures it uses. The more textures we make, the more different each planet will become, and the more fun the game will be.

Also, I think all that "We're making the game for the future computers so think BIG!!" will get you absolutely nowhere. You always have to start small.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 11:13 am

You seem to be answering a question, but not the one I am trying to ask.

Quote :
Will planets have similar materials if they are next to each other?

In other words, will the planet generator be able to stop unrealistic arrangements of planets? (Like: gas giant, rocky, rocky, gas, rocky, gas, gas, rocky, gas, gas)
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 12:59 pm

Ah, I thought you meant textures. (Materials and textures are the same thing in blender)(sorta)

I'm sure we can come up with a function that maps distance from the sun to size/type of the planet. If you imagine distance as x, and size as y... well yes. We can.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 10:21 pm

The Uteen wrote:
But will planets have similar materials if they are next to each other, or is that more 'in the next ten years' realisticness of programming?
We can probably define likely materials through position, but it doesn't really matter that much. Theoretically, any planet could get any element, and therefore make just about any sort of material.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 10:30 pm

~sciocont wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
But will planets have similar materials if they are next to each other, or is that more 'in the next ten years' realisticness of programming?
We can probably define likely materials through position, but it doesn't really matter that much. Theoretically, any planet could get any element, and therefore make just about any sort of material.
I think it's important for us to stick to the generally accepted science of star systems, being that more dense, rocky planets are closer to the star than the large gas giants.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 10:54 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
I think it's important for us to stick to the generally accepted science of star systems, being that more dense, rocky planets are closer to the star than the large gas giants.
they can easily get flung out (pluto), and we must remember we have an extremely small amount of knowledge about solar systems in general. But yes, rocky in, gassy out should be the norm.
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 11:46 pm

Of course, it doesn't hurt to have a bit of random.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 6:06 am

I thought they could be close to their star... Is there anything really stopping them? (If so, they could be affected by gravitational pull of other objects pulling it close to the center of the system).

Also, even if we don't sort out the materials problem, can we still do something that Spore didn't - organise (not always, but often) the planets fairly like our solar system, all rocky together, all gas together.

And one more thing, could we include dwarf planets (presumably in the outer regions) like in our system? They could be used for outposts/bases in other systems, for war, or diplomacy, or observational research, or a ice-skating holiday, or even a place to get alien fast-food as you try and figure out why you're there in the first place!
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 10:59 am

All would be very easy to implement.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 6:42 pm

The Uteen wrote:
I thought they could be close to their star... Is there anything really stopping them? (If so, they could be affected by gravitational pull of other objects pulling it close to the center of the system).

Also, even if we don't sort out the materials problem, can we still do something that Spore didn't - organise (not always, but often) the planets fairly like our solar system, all rocky together, all gas together.

And one more thing, could we include dwarf planets (presumably in the outer regions) like in our system? They could be used for outposts/bases in other systems, for war, or diplomacy, or observational research, or a ice-skating holiday, or even a place to get alien fast-food as you try and figure out why you're there in the first place!
Dwarf planets will simply be created by making a planet below a boundary of size.
Back to top Go down
YourBreakfast
Learner
YourBreakfast

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 6:43 pm

How will we stop major crashing when visiting a planet though?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 6:51 pm

Check the devblog, then link to roadkillguy and bashi's discussion on LOD
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 12:35 pm

Quote :

Umm well... don't crash?
Back to top Go down
Noitulove
Regular

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 3:17 pm

YourBreakfast wrote:

Slow the ship when you enter the atmosphere?

Seriously, though, I have no idea. I'm not a coder.
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 5:25 pm

Noitulove wrote:
YourBreakfast wrote:

Slow the ship when you enter the atmosphere?

Seriously, though, I have no idea. I'm not a coder.

The notion of 'major crashing' is not a predictable scenario. If it does crash, thats a bug we will need to fix.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 7:43 pm

YourBreakfast wrote:

Uhh... learn to fly your Belgium spaceship?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 9:15 pm

He's talking about computer crashes, I think.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 9:24 pm

~sciocont wrote:

Oh. Why would your computer crash from entering the atmosphere? I guess from all the planet loading at one time?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 9:24 pm

InvaderZim wrote:
~sciocont wrote:

Oh. Why would your computer crash from entering the atmosphere? I guess from all the planet loading at one time?
He said "When visiting a planet"
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 10:02 pm

Wow, I thought you were joking
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 10:44 pm

~sciocont wrote:
InvaderZim wrote:
~sciocont wrote:

Well, yeah... Now, I beleive the obvious answer is to load the planet quality in layers, slowly getting more detailed as you get closer to the ground, rather than just BANG! Full quality! Would most likely be easiest on the 'puter.

Just statin' the obvious.
Back to top Go down
Bashinerox
Programming Team lead
Bashinerox

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 12:00 am

InvaderZim wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
InvaderZim wrote:
~sciocont wrote:

Well, yeah... Now, I beleive the obvious answer is to load the planet quality in layers, slowly getting more detailed as you get closer to the ground, rather than just BANG! Full quality! Would most likely be easiest on the 'puter.

Just statin' the obvious.

We are discussing exactly this in

Planetary coordinates
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 1:29 am

PPG:
Plants, pollen and Biomes. (Crossed over from a thread in Programming.)
1) Biome is determined by environment factors (temp/temp variation, precipitation, geographical location.)
2) Different types of biomes will have different categories of autotrophs. Extremely quick-growing autotrophs will thrive in areas frequently disturbed. (By fire, avalanche, whatever.) Whereas if there is an opportunity for longer-growth organisms and greater biodiversity, it will be taken.
3) Airborne pollination (or pollination in general) is pretty darn important for terrestrial plants, and, along with the other things, will be getting it's own thread over here when I get around to it.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 10:37 am

Why do we need to keep track of pollen?
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 11:02 am

~sciocont wrote:
Why do we need to keep track of pollen?

I don't think it needs tracking, but we are going to have to simulate it, probably something random, but more likely in areas of trees (possibly taking into account wind, too, which should already exist for flying organisms).

Pollen should also have effects on creatures sometimes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   procedural planet generator - PPG- Procedural Planet Generator - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

PPG- Procedural Planet Generator
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next