Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Censor Menu - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Censor Menu - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Censor Menu - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Censor Menu - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Censor Menu - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Censor Menu - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Censor Menu - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Censor Menu - Page 3 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Censor Menu - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Censor Menu - Page 3 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Censor Menu - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Censor Menu - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Censor Menu - Page 3 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Censor Menu - Page 3 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Censor Menu - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Censor Menu - Page 3 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Censor Menu - Page 3 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Censor Menu - Page 3 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Censor Menu - Page 3 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Censor Menu - Page 3 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Censor Menu

Go down 
+18
MrIdeaMan
Xenon
Darkov
Waap
Albalrogue
~sciocont
YourBreakfast
Noitulove
Lukas99
Commander Keen
Bashinerox
Poisson
roadkillguy
Invader
US_of_Alaska
eumesmo
GamerXA
DragonEye4
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Albalrogue
Learner
Albalrogue

Censor Menu - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Censor Menu   Censor Menu - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 10:40 am

So no reproductive scenes then?
Back to top Go down
Waap
Newcomer
Waap

PostSubject: Re: Censor Menu   Censor Menu - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 8:24 pm

But... That wouldn't be right...
Reproduction is a part of nature, so reproductive scenes are a must.
-Waap.
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: Censor Menu   Censor Menu - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 8:26 pm

Who's going to animate them? I will NOT have anything to do with that, and I don't care. I only care about the evolutionary part.

Yes that's part of nature, but it's still a game.

Have you read the above posts?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Censor Menu   Censor Menu - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 9:44 pm

roadkillguy wrote:
A method would entail mixing of DNA, which, if we want to follow the 'true-darwinian path', would have to be hard-coded. I could see one function taking into account the number of donors and each of their DNA strings, but that's about it.
It wouldn't have to be hard coded. it evolved in real life, so it will most likely evolve in game. One of the key organ systems in the OE is "reproductive". Reproduction depends entirely on how that system is set up, so hard coding of anything specific would be unnecessary, because the proceess would evolve through that organ system+ behavior editor (again, auto-evo will be in there as well).
Back to top Go down
DragonEye4
Regular
DragonEye4

PostSubject: Re: Censor Menu   Censor Menu - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 10:12 pm

roadkillguy wrote:
Who's going to animate them? I will NOT have anything to do with that, and I don't care. I only care about the evolutionary part.

Yes that's part of nature, but it's still a game.

Have you read the above posts?
So you will not program in a sea-sponge like organism growing a bud, or a tree having a flower with pollen, or an amoeba splitting.

REPRODUCTION =/= VERTEBRAE SEX!!
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: Censor Menu   Censor Menu - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 11:09 pm

Unless we write a high end atomic simulator, it WILL have to be hardcoded. Pollenation will be, whether underwater or not, entirely different from fish eggs + sperm. They will simply have to be programmed differently.

If not, somebody come up with* a universal method.

* By this I mean give specifics. Functions, classes, x, y, z, transforms, and, most definitely, a way to evolve said method onto land.
Back to top Go down
Albalrogue
Learner
Albalrogue

PostSubject: Re: Censor Menu   Censor Menu - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 11:32 am

Well I don't mind animating it since nobody is willing to (although I'l have to learn first, but I've got time to waste).

Why the **** would people be disturbed by seeing two animals mating? I just don't get it. And yes I did read the above posts. And since we want it realistic, we might as well put in one of the most importnt facts of life.
Back to top Go down
Darkov
Newcomer
Darkov

PostSubject: Re: Censor Menu   Censor Menu - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 1:08 pm

No one is willing to animate? Thats the easiest part of 3D making imo.
Back to top Go down
Albalrogue
Learner
Albalrogue

PostSubject: Re: Censor Menu   Censor Menu - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 1:12 pm

Darkov wrote:

No one is willing to animate organisme humping each other.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Censor Menu   Censor Menu - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 1:39 pm

Albalrogue wrote:
No one is willing to animate organisme humping each other.

No one is willing to program procedural animating of organisms humping each other.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Censor Menu   Censor Menu - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 5:08 pm

Just leave this topic be for now, then. I'll clarify the OE organs section soon.
Back to top Go down
Xenon
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Censor Menu   Censor Menu - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 5:31 pm

I believe you are forgetting that it's still a game. It doesn't have to be 100% realistic, It have to be fun, and if it's possible, then also educational.

I strongly agree that I would rather not watch a big green alien, humping a smaller purple one.
I believe we can all agree that too much of everything get's you tired of that single thing. If you have to watch some mating animation every time you want to evolve, or reproduce it'll get boring really fast, and you'll want to skip it anyways.

In my opinion, we could make a "mating screen" (just like a censor screen).
Let's say you control your creature, towards a creature of the opposite sex, and then choose the action "evolve" or "mate". Then it fades into a screen with a text, saying something like:

"As the many years go by, the [creature name]'s mate, and slowly evolves.." (and then you move on, with an option to skip the screen)

Or if you are a plant or something:

"The pollen from the [plant name] gets carried through the sky (or however it gets transported) for many years, and slowly evolves.."

Some animals does clone themselves and etc. So each breeding option should have their own text.

That solution will save us lots of time, both from animating, and from finding someone willing to animate.
And it could save us brainpower, trying to solve this problem.

What comes to blood then I believe that the solution mentioned before about just making blood particles and textures to land on the ground should be sufficient. At least in the first place, then it can always be updated later
Of course, this is just my opinion
Back to top Go down
Noitulove
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Censor Menu   Censor Menu - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 7:19 pm

Xenon wrote:
...then choose the action "evolve" or "mate"...

Um... as far as I know, I think we're not going to have this option, or at least it's widely agreed on. Yes, sadly you're going to have to live through every generation.. I think. The whole "evolve" thing was an interesting idea to start but it's just not fitting for the game, and it's pretty much what Spore did, basically. Whenever you danced mated with another creature you evolved into whatever you made in the editor. I think it was stated editors would be a God Tool, basically something you can use after you've "completed" the game by researching and unlocking Ascension, where you basically become an invisible, all-powerful god and in turn God tools are available. I think the 'evolve' button might be a good God Tool.
Back to top Go down
DragonEye4
Regular
DragonEye4

PostSubject: Re: Censor Menu   Censor Menu - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 8:03 pm

Darkov wrote:
Because one of the >9000 different ways organisms mate is similar enough to the human way people want to not include any reproduction whatsoever.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Censor Menu   Censor Menu - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 8:07 pm

Xenon wrote:
I believe you are forgetting that it's still a game. It doesn't have to be 100% realistic, It have to be fun, and if it's possible, then also educational.

I strongly agree that I would rather not watch a big green alien, humping a smaller purple one.
I believe we can all agree that too much of everything get's you tired of that single thing. If you have to watch some mating animation every time you want to evolve, or reproduce it'll get boring really fast, and you'll want to skip it anyways.

In my opinion, we could make a "mating screen" (just like a censor screen).
Let's say you control your creature, towards a creature of the opposite sex, and then choose the action "evolve" or "mate". Then it fades into a screen with a text, saying something like:

"As the many years go by, the [creature name]'s mate, and slowly evolves.." (and then you move on, with an option to skip the screen)

Or if you are a plant or something:

"The pollen from the [plant name] gets carried through the sky (or however it gets transported) for many years, and slowly evolves.."

Some animals does clone themselves and etc. So each breeding option should have their own text.

That solution will save us lots of time, both from animating, and from finding someone willing to animate.
And it could save us brainpower, trying to solve this problem.

What comes to blood then I believe that the solution mentioned before about just making blood particles and textures to land on the ground should be sufficient. At least in the first place, then it can always be updated later
Of course, this is just my opinion

The problem is, that's not how we're doing it. Just as in nature, there is no choice over evolution. It will happen whether you want it or not. What people don't deem to understand here is that we basically have two options we can either
A: let mating go on in any way that it evolves on a planet
B: acknowledge a certain type of mating that we would consider "obscene" and purposefully code around it.

See, with the organs system, you could have genetic information transfered in a number of ways. It could be

-expelled as a solid/liquid for pickup later
-spread by a pollen-like substance
-spread by spores
-spread by physical contact with a certian organ
-spread by any physical contact (probably wouldn't happen, but might)
-expelled onto an organ without contact
-internally self-fertilizing

or just about any combination of those. Basically, we would have a hard code for each of those. However, the proces we are concerned with (spread by physical contact with a certian organ) would not be obscene to code at all. All it means is that to reproduce, organ A would have to make contact with organ B. That's simply all.

Let's all be mature about this topic, please, we have done well so far, but by nature it could become offensive quickly.
Back to top Go down
DragonEye4
Regular
DragonEye4

PostSubject: Re: Censor Menu   Censor Menu - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 8:55 pm

~sciocont wrote:

-spread by physical contact with a certian organ
-spread by any physical contact (probably wouldn't happen, but might)
-expelled onto an organ without contact
-internally self-fertilizing

or just about any combination of those. Basically, we would have a hard code for each of those. However, the proces we are concerned with (spread by physical contact with a certian organ) would not be obscene to code at all. All it means is that to reproduce, organ A would have to make contact with organ B. That's simply all.

Let's all be mature about this topic, please, we have done well so far, but by nature it could become offensive quickly.
Exactly. There are other ways in which they could mate, so many that censoring one single way almost seems ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
Xenon
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Censor Menu   Censor Menu - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 2:45 am

Ohh I misunderstood the idea then, sorry about that.

But well, we could still do the "mating screen" at any mating process, although the animated process will make it look way better.

I don't think we have to duplicate the exact way that Human mate though (With physical contact with certain organ). After all, it is another galaxy, in another solar system. Another world. Who knows, if that mating way would never have been developed there? No one knows, and that make's it an opportunity to leave that way out.

I hope I understood it this time
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Censor Menu   Censor Menu - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 9:47 pm

Xenon wrote:
Ohh I misunderstood the idea then, sorry about that.

But well, we could still do the "mating screen" at any mating process, although the animated process will make it look way better.

I don't think we have to duplicate the exact way that Human mate though (With physical contact with certain organ). After all, it is another galaxy, in another solar system. Another world. Who knows, if that mating way would never have been developed there? No one knows, and that make's it an opportunity to leave that way out.

I hope I understood it this time
Basically, we leave the decision on how to transfer genetic information up to the player and the engine.
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

PostSubject: Re: Censor Menu   Censor Menu - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 3:35 am

Basically with most of the ways that we know of that reproduction works is simply that the sperm has to get to the ovum in some way. That would be easy enough in the BE to achieve.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Censor Menu   Censor Menu - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 9:57 am

GamerXA wrote:
Basically with most of the ways that we know of that reproduction works is simply that the sperm has to get to the ovum in some way. That would be easy enough in the BE to achieve.
QFT

Topic resolved?
Back to top Go down
DragonEye4
Regular
DragonEye4

PostSubject: Re: Censor Menu   Censor Menu - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 1:54 pm

GamerXA wrote:
You mean sexual reproduction. There are other methods, such as budding, and splitting, and there may be other ones that are not on earth! We cannot think so earth-centered.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Censor Menu   Censor Menu - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 4:07 pm

DragonEye4 wrote:
You mean sexual reproduction. There are other methods, such as budding, and splitting, and there may be other ones that are not on earth! We cannot think so earth-centered.

We cannot think so Earth-centered? Excuse me, but I'm a human from Earth and I never met any alien life-forms. How could I know how exactly could aliens reproduce? It's very hard find new original (not just a copy or mix of Earth's) methods for anything, let alone reproduction.

You say there may be other ones that don't exist on Earth. Feel free to give us an example.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Censor Menu   Censor Menu - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 4:26 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
DragonEye4 wrote:

We cannot think so Earth-centered? Excuse me, but I'm a human from Earth and I never met any alien life-forms. How could I know how exactly could aliens reproduce? It's very hard find new original (not just a copy or mix of Earth's) methods for anything, let alone reproduction.

You say there may be other ones that don't exist on Earth. Feel free to give us an example.
If you guys read the updated OE concept on organs, you may understand this better. Basically, you have many different modes of transmission, which can be mixed and matched as your creature evolves.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Censor Menu   Censor Menu - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 6:02 pm

~sciocont wrote:
If you guys read the updated OE concept on organs, you may understand this better. Basically, you have many different modes of transmission, which can be mixed and matched as your creature evolves.

I have already seen it, I am just trying to show that designing an "original alien", not inspired in any way by Earth life, is near to impossible.
Back to top Go down
eumesmo
Regular
eumesmo

PostSubject: Re: Censor Menu   Censor Menu - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 10:01 pm

though we are trying to make something alien we need to look to a basis that work, or else why wont we just make the possibility for silicon based lifeforms (actually, that'd be awesome ). that does not mean we don't need to think outside the box and imagine other scenarios like hive minded sapient species, but we got to keep a basis in mind or else we are just trying to get to the speed of light
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Censor Menu   Censor Menu - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Censor Menu
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next