Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Mandatory Sharing Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Mandatory Sharing Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Mandatory Sharing Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Mandatory Sharing Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Mandatory Sharing Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Mandatory Sharing Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Mandatory Sharing Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Mandatory Sharing Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Mandatory Sharing Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Mandatory Sharing Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Mandatory Sharing Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Mandatory Sharing Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Mandatory Sharing Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Mandatory Sharing Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Mandatory Sharing Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Mandatory Sharing Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Mandatory Sharing Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Mandatory Sharing Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Mandatory Sharing Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Mandatory Sharing Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Mandatory Sharing

Go down 
+9
~sciocont
GamerXA
The Uteen
Commander Keen
US_of_Alaska
Noitulove
Xenopologist
toxiciron
Tenebrarum
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Mandatory Sharing Empty
PostSubject: Mandatory Sharing   Mandatory Sharing EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 7:38 pm

Now, this isn't something that worked in Spore because it meant that the latest creations swamped your system, usually being the worst possible thing someone could create.

This won't work for us cause we don't have the servers.

However something similar might be neccisary.

We can make a fair number of TOs to flush out the world, but as time goes on I'm sure they'll get pretty old. My thoughts are that we note how often certain files are downloaded, seeing as we lack a rating system. If something becomes popular enough than it's reveiwed by the Admins to make sure it's not say, a spaceship shaped like the president, or something similarly impressive but stupid looking ingame. Then, if they pass, they are added to a list. This list will be attached to patches and updates to flush out the world.

This applies to three different types of creations: TOs, Solar Systems, and non-editor files.

A Solar System would contain everything in it, either created ingame or editors. This allows complex races with deep histories and facinating cultures to be added whole, always with their respective sets.

Non-editor files would be things like expanded lists for creature-made music, more writing styles, etc.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
toxiciron
Newcomer
toxiciron

Mandatory Sharing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mandatory Sharing   Mandatory Sharing EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 8:43 pm

i thought we weren't doing a sharing system... correct me if i'm wrong
Back to top Go down
Xenopologist
Learner

Mandatory Sharing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mandatory Sharing   Mandatory Sharing EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 8:49 pm

The reason sharing worked at all for Spore was because content created was so relatively simple. Even adventures, which were miniature games in their own right, were capped on complexity severely to limit the amount of processing power and memory they could take up. A whole solar system's worth of realism, which is what such a system created in Thrive would ideally be, would be incredibly complicated, and thus have massive file sizes. How do you propose to allow for the easy download of such large files? Every solar system would be a whole patch worth of new content.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Mandatory Sharing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mandatory Sharing   Mandatory Sharing EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 9:14 pm

Xenopologist wrote:
The reason sharing worked at all for Spore was because content created was so relatively simple. Even adventures, which were miniature games in their own right, were capped on complexity severely to limit the amount of processing power and memory they could take up. A whole solar system's worth of realism, which is what such a system created in Thrive would ideally be, would be incredibly complicated, and thus have massive file sizes. How do you propose to allow for the easy download of such large files? Every solar system would be a whole patch worth of new content.

Yes.

To all of that.

The issue with taking induvidual races is that much of the culture will be based on their surroundings, so solar systems would be neccisary.

And yes, that's alot of info.

Maybe worth it's own update.

Depending on quality, worth it.
Back to top Go down
Noitulove
Regular

Mandatory Sharing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mandatory Sharing   Mandatory Sharing EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 9:55 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Xenopologist wrote:

Yes.

To all of that.

The issue with taking induvidual races is that much of the culture will be based on their surroundings, so solar systems would be neccisary.

And yes, that's alot of info.

Maybe worth it's own update.

Depending on quality, worth it.

I'm not really sure if I can understand what you said, here, but are you saying it's worth sacrificing a significantly large amount of space and possibly hours of our time to download an entire solar system?

Eh, I'd rather not agree..
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

Mandatory Sharing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mandatory Sharing   Mandatory Sharing EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 12:18 am

I'm happy with people just downloading content through the forums. I don't believe we need a Mandatory Sharing System.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

Mandatory Sharing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mandatory Sharing   Mandatory Sharing EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 10:29 am

US_of_Alaska wrote:
I'm happy with people just downloading content through the forums. I don't believe we need a Mandatory Sharing System.

True. Maybe we could include some of the best into official patches, but that's all about it.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Mandatory Sharing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mandatory Sharing   Mandatory Sharing EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 12:57 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:

True. Maybe we could include some of the best into official patches, but that's all about it.

How do we find the best if the only files are locally on their computer, and if we can access everyone's files then how do we decide from all of them? Seems a pretty big project. Oh, and what if an update makes all creations of a certain type not work, because we updated the system? We have to find a big bunch of new ones and fast... Seems a lot could go wrong or make life difficult for us. Sorry for being so negative about this, I would like to be able to use other people's content, I'm just pointing out what has been missed.

And are we not having the Thrive Content Library now, or is it going to be a forum section or something?

If it is a forum section, I personally wont use it, I'd hate going through topic after topic finding something good, with all the loading etc...
A preview would be good but you just can't get that in a forum without going into thread after thread or post after post...
Back to top Go down
Xenopologist
Learner

Mandatory Sharing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mandatory Sharing   Mandatory Sharing EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 2:03 pm

As I understand it, the Thrive Content Library is a name for two "locations": one on the player's computer, existing as a folder or group of folders with the individual "creations" stored within them, and some sort of online sharing mechanism that could be anything from a forum section to a system like Spore's Online Sporepedia.

The problem with having an Online Sporepedia-type site is that we would need a dedicated web server running an application developed specifically for the process of making previews of Thrive "creations" available to viewers, coupled with some mechanism to download the "creations" one likes for use in one's game.

While having such a web application isn't impossible, it certainly seems unlikely with our current resources. Along with the complexity of such a piece of software, the additional issue of file sizes would arise. As our files are intended to be more realistic - and therefore hopefully more detailed - than Spore's, they would consequentially be larger and take longer to download than Spore creations.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Mandatory Sharing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mandatory Sharing   Mandatory Sharing EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 2:09 pm

The Uteen wrote:
How do we find the best if the only files are locally on their computer, and if we can access everyone's files then how do we decide from all of them?

The "best" I mentioned would be the best from posted on TCL forum section. It would take a few dedicated people to find them, that's not much.

The Uteen wrote:
Oh, and what if an update makes all creations of a certain type not work, because we updated the system?

Backwards compatibility is the key. This should never happen after releasing the game.

The Uteen wrote:
And are we not having the Thrive Content Library now, or is it going to be a forum section or something?

Forum section.

The Uteen wrote:
If it is a forum section, I personally wont use it, I'd hate going through topic after topic finding something good, with all the loading etc...

That's why we should include the best of it into patches.
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

Mandatory Sharing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mandatory Sharing   Mandatory Sharing EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 4:54 pm

If we have Organisms downloaded automatically and added into our game, I hope they won't be added onto the planet that we live on, as they would be unlike the other Organisms on the planet. If they are added onto another Planet then only one could be added from which all of the others would have to evolve, lest inconsistency should arise. Probably a way around this would be to download planets and Solar Systems with their Coördinates in the Galaxy.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

Mandatory Sharing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mandatory Sharing   Mandatory Sharing EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 4:57 pm

I thought the TLC was where the player copied the objects they found online into the game?
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Mandatory Sharing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mandatory Sharing   Mandatory Sharing EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 5:57 pm

GamerXA wrote:
If we have Organisms downloaded automatically and added into our game, I hope they won't be added onto the planet that we live on, as they would be unlike the other Organisms on the planet. If they are added onto another Planet then only one could be added from which all of the others would have to evolve, lest inconsistency should arise. Probably a way around this would be to download planets and Solar Systems with their Coördinates in the Galaxy.

That's why I said Solar Systems and TOs only.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Mandatory Sharing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mandatory Sharing   Mandatory Sharing EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 11:12 am

Tenebrarum wrote:
GamerXA wrote:

That's why I said Solar Systems and TOs only.

If you can only get individual solar systems, wouldn't a galactic race in that system get a just a bit down (I mean tremendously furious and outraged) when they find they just lost all forms of contact with the rest of their empire, and then the rest of there empire seems to suddenly be of no physical existence when they go and check on them?
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

Mandatory Sharing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mandatory Sharing   Mandatory Sharing EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 5:13 pm

It's possible that if a society has large connections to other solar systems it would include the other systems in the download. That way their would be only minimal losses if their was a galactic empire.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Mandatory Sharing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mandatory Sharing   Mandatory Sharing EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 5:15 pm

GamerXA wrote:
It's possible that if a society has large connections to other solar systems it would include the other systems in the download. That way their would be only minimal losses if their was a galactic empire.
QFT
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Mandatory Sharing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mandatory Sharing   Mandatory Sharing EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 1:30 pm

GamerXA wrote:

It could still get pretty big file-size, if the player is obsessed with that race and has avoided ascension... Unavoidable, I suppose. But would the locations of their other systems be copied, too? What if you have a save in that system? Just blocking it would annoy someone who really wants the empire in their galaxy. Maybe move it to the nearest star until it is out of the way of used systems.

And you wont be able to play as these empires, I hope?
Will there be other AI controlled interstellar species?
What happens when they reach ascension?
Am I going to stop asking things now?
Yes.
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

Mandatory Sharing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mandatory Sharing   Mandatory Sharing EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 5:10 pm

Since we're using a single Galaxy for all of our save games (but we won't be interacting with other people), if a piece of content would replace another solar system that you have already seen (or possibly only have a colony on) then it might be able to be moved to another neighboring system. Huge empires that can't be moved around (if it would cause mass devastation) would probably not be copied at all (probably if the empires occupy more than a half or quarter of the galaxy).

You should be able to.

Yes, most definitely.

Personally, I think it would be a good idea to see another race suddenly disappear and ascend. But they shouldn't be able to do anything in God-Mode.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Mandatory Sharing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mandatory Sharing   Mandatory Sharing EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 6:52 pm

toxiciron wrote:
Sharing will be completely optional. We can add more content in patches. The content we add can actually be picked from the best in the community.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Mandatory Sharing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mandatory Sharing   Mandatory Sharing EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 6:58 pm

~sciocont wrote:
toxiciron wrote:
Sharing will be completely optional. We can add more content in patches. The content we add can actually be picked from the best in the community.
My point exactly. I fear I worded this badly. My deepest apologies for the confusion.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Mandatory Sharing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mandatory Sharing   Mandatory Sharing EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 7:31 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
toxiciron wrote:
My point exactly. I fear I worded this badly. My deepest apologies for the confusion.
Each patch we release should have new content as well as bug fixes.
Back to top Go down
Djohaal
Learner
Djohaal

Mandatory Sharing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mandatory Sharing   Mandatory Sharing EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 7:58 pm

Well I beleive we'll end up deciding that a pollination system like spore will be needed because of the sheer size, however it'll need to be greatly improved from the failboat that spore's sharing system is.

One thing that would help is creating a system of tags for creations, so they could be sorted out in different styles (ie, "realistic" "nonsense" "funny" "fantasy", or even up to the detail like "insectoid" and etc), then each user could filter the tags they want or not to be autodownloaded on their end. Thus one could make a spaceship that looks like lenin's head but it won't be shared to people who don't want it because it'd have the "funny" tag.

Another point would be having the player actively pick what stuff they want shared. I once did a slow game in spore where I passed through the critter editor some 20 times in the course of a game. To my disdain I discovered every single iteration of the critter was distributed. Go figure.

For data transfer, I beleive a de-centralized protocol like torrent, with a server which only managed the metadata would ease the bandwith issues a lot, of course in comes MPPAA suing us for sharing films via a game...
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

Mandatory Sharing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mandatory Sharing   Mandatory Sharing EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 10:32 pm

Djohaal wrote:
Well I beleive we'll end up deciding that a pollination system like spore will be needed because of the sheer size, however it'll need to be greatly improved from the failboat that spore's sharing system is.

One thing that would help is creating a system of tags for creations, so they could be sorted out in different styles (ie, "realistic" "nonsense" "funny" "fantasy", or even up to the detail like "insectoid" and etc), then each user could filter the tags they want or not to be autodownloaded on their end. Thus one could make a spaceship that looks like lenin's head but it won't be shared to people who don't want it because it'd have the "funny" tag.

Another point would be having the player actively pick what stuff they want shared. I once did a slow game in spore where I passed through the critter editor some 20 times in the course of a game. To my disdain I discovered every single iteration of the critter was distributed. Go figure.

For data transfer, I beleive a de-centralized protocol like torrent, with a server which only managed the metadata would ease the bandwith issues a lot, of course in comes MPPAA suing us for sharing films via a game...

*Ahem* While the tag system is good and all, griefers will doubtlessly create their dick-monsters and label them as "realistic" so as to have them pollintated in everyone who wants only realistic organisms's games.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Mandatory Sharing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mandatory Sharing   Mandatory Sharing EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 2:04 pm

Djohaal wrote:
Spore-like system

There are a few problems with this solution:

1. Server - Having a server implemented into the game bears problems such as not being able to properly play the game without internet, having the game break when the server is down, actively maintaining the server, etc.
2. Autosharing - Instead of carefully selecting what they upload, players will happily share everything, even crap, because "the game did it". That leads us to a bigger library, but with way worse creations.
3. Autodownloading - No matter what options we will make and what the player will select, the game will always download something he doesn't like for whatever reasons.

I'm trying to look at it from all directions, but manual download and inclusion in patches still seems to be the best idea.

Edit: Fixed triple-fail in underlining the points' key words.

Last edited by Commander Keen on Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Mandatory Sharing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mandatory Sharing   Mandatory Sharing EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 5:53 pm

I'm all for patch inclusion. The purpose of this thread was to discuss the nature of how patch inclusion would be used.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mandatory Sharing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mandatory Sharing   Mandatory Sharing Empty

Back to top Go down

Mandatory Sharing
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next