Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
race - Machine race? - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
race - Machine race? - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
race - Machine race? - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
race - Machine race? - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
race - Machine race? - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
race - Machine race? - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
race - Machine race? - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
race - Machine race? - Page 2 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
race - Machine race? - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
race - Machine race? - Page 2 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
race - Machine race? - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
race - Machine race? - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
race - Machine race? - Page 2 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
race - Machine race? - Page 2 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
race - Machine race? - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
race - Machine race? - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
race - Machine race? - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
race - Machine race? - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
race - Machine race? - Page 2 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
race - Machine race? - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Machine race?

Go down 
+14
Deathbite42
Albalrogue
Poisson
Agrestrife
Tenebrarum
DragonEye4
Waap
The Uteen
Commander Keen
Noitulove
US_of_Alaska
~sciocont
eumesmo
caekdaemon
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

race - Machine race? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Machine race?   race - Machine race? - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 03, 2010 9:04 pm

Poisson wrote:
Let's try and remain civil here.

I do appologize, It's just that I've had this arguement at least four times before this, two of those with Sven. He only ever backed down after I began threatening to leave. My point stands, as does Eusesmo's.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Machine race?   race - Machine race? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 12:43 am

People! We have this all done with arbitrary mechanics! Religions can have Intolerant and Conservative traits, as can leaders. Why we are arguing about this is beyond me.
Back to top Go down
eumesmo
Regular
eumesmo

PostSubject: Re: Machine race?   race - Machine race? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 4:54 am

i dont want this flame war, i just tried to state a eventual societal problem that arrises with the come of new devolpments, i didn't or dont make ad hominem attacks. I wasnt stating that everyone or every religion is intolerant, i was stating that some parts of society remain, and those radicals, even if smaller in number can cause lots of harm and delay.

back on the issue. i do think that many species would try mind uploading, due to the fact that they... erm.... die. It's a good way out of the problem before ascencion, it'd make science go faster, but should have some problems when dealing with ascencion. Machine races by itself, which arent the transference of that mind would take more trouble because both the vessel and the AI would have to be done. In a non capitalist society it'd increase happiness, but in capitalist ones it wouldn't since if robots work, people have less ways to get money. But that is a governement type thing that needs further thinking. If uprise could happen, would you beguin leading the machines? because if they win, can you them a better fit species then the original?
Back to top Go down
caekdaemon
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Machine race?   race - Machine race? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 12:57 pm

Im wondering how machine workers would function aswell in game. Would it be faster production but lower quality of the actual product?

Perhaps a machine race would have no emotions, but be terrible at diplomacy as a result. Maybe Emotions could be chosen by the player if they wanted them or not.
Back to top Go down
eumesmo
Regular
eumesmo

PostSubject: Re: Machine race?   race - Machine race? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 1:32 pm

caekdaemon wrote:
Im wondering how machine workers would function aswell in game. Would it be faster production but lower quality of the actual product?

Perhaps a machine race would have no emotions, but be terrible at diplomacy as a result. Maybe Emotions could be chosen by the player if they wanted them or not.

emotions could be added to the player or by the machine race itself when they mastered the inteligence itself.
The quality would actually be better since a robot wouldn't make human errors, and bout diplomacy, it wouldn't be that hard, since a robot would try to find a way to solve the issue without some of the problems "human" diplomacy faces, like bias against some.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Machine race?   race - Machine race? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 2:38 pm

caekdaemon wrote:

Robots would make things of the best quality, they wont accidentally include flaws like humans do, and they would be brilliant at diplomacy:

"Greetings, stranger. Do you want to form an alliance?"

"Err... Okay"

"Good"

And, of course, there isn't the problem of lying, the diplomacy-bots would have built in lie detectors so they simply have to get an answer.

And between robot races, they would even need lie detectors. An alliance is the logical thing to do, so they will do it. Races united are stronger, war is a waste of time and resources.

Humans want war? No problem, the robots use subliminal messages.

If that still does't work, then the robots can spread the message at the speed of light, literally, using radio, wifi, everything, devote everything they have to making weapons, blow 'em all up, then recycle the weapons into new robots, resources, etc.

Let's face it, the robots are better.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Machine race?   race - Machine race? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 4:05 pm

The Uteen wrote:
Robots would make things of the best quality, they wont accidentally include flaws like humans do,
Robots must be perfectly designed to avoid flaws. Unless you have a perfect robot, than flaws still exist. Look at our robots. The don't make things that are flawless, the just make things with the same flaws over and over.

The Uteen wrote:
and they would be brilliant at diplomacy:... And, of course, there isn't the problem of lying, the diplomacy-bots would have built in lie detectors so they simply have to get an answer.
Um... You realize that lie detectors don't work, right? They detect nervousness, not lies. And you have to be hooked up to them for them to function at all.

If you're talking about a science fiction future space lie detector, understand that robots don't recognize things like we do. They can analyze the situation, but without further data they're at the mercy of any incoming data, if that's a lie, than unless that race does something obvious without fail, they will not notice it, and accept any new information as truth.

The Uteen wrote:
And between robot races, they would even need lie detectors. An alliance is the logical thing to do, so they will do it. Races united are stronger, war is a waste of time and resources.
True, but that does depend. Will they have emotion? If so, war may be possible. Also: unless they can empathize, which without emotion they can't, mistakes they make (Which will happen without fail when first encountering a new culture) will be permanent: they will be unable to apologize or compensate, sometimes even pushing the other side to war.

Ex.: When the Viking first landed in the new world, they traded with the natives and struck up treaties. At one point, they gave a native a cup of goat's milk. The natives did not have the same immunities as they and so the man died. The natives claimed the Vikings had poisoned the drink, and the Vikings had no idea why the man had died. So, war began, eventually drove the Vikings away.

Robots lack any creativity, and so would be unable to come up with a solution unless they had already been programed to think of a correct solution.

The Uteen wrote:

As an amature student of psychology, I can tell you without a doubt, subliminal messages do not work. They lower inhibitions, not force someone to do something. If that person does not want to do said action anyways, they won't do it.

The Uteen wrote:
If that still does't work, then the robots can spread the message at the speed of light, literally, using radio, wifi, everything, devote everything they have to making weapons, blow 'em all up, then recycle the weapons into new robots, resources, etc.

Ever heard of the 10% rule?

The Uteen wrote:

Only at industry.
Back to top Go down
caekdaemon
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Machine race?   race - Machine race? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 4:19 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
Robots would make things of the best quality, they wont accidentally include flaws like humans do,
Robots must be perfectly designed to avoid flaws. Unless you have a perfect robot, than flaws still exist. Look at our robots. The don't make things that are flawless, the just make things with the same flaws over and over.

The Uteen wrote:
and they would be brilliant at diplomacy:... And, of course, there isn't the problem of lying, the diplomacy-bots would have built in lie detectors so they simply have to get an answer.
Um... You realize that lie detectors don't work, right? They detect nervousness, not lies. And you have to be hooked up to them for them to function at all.

If you're talking about a science fiction future space lie detector, understand that robots don't recognize things like we do. They can analyze the situation, but without further data they're at the mercy of any incoming data, if that's a lie, than unless that race does something obvious without fail, they will not notice it, and accept any new information as truth.

The Uteen wrote:
True, but that does depend. Will they have emotion? If so, war may be possible. Also: unless they can empathize, which without emotion they can't, mistakes they make (Which will happen without fail when first encountering a new culture) will be permanent: they will be unable to apologize or compensate, sometimes even pushing the other side to war.

Ex.: When the Viking first landed in the new world, they traded with the natives and struck up treaties. At one point, they gave a native a cup of goat's milk. The natives did not have the same immunities as they and so the man died. The natives claimed the Vikings had poisoned the drink, and the Vikings had no idea why the man had died. So, war began, eventually drove the Vikings away.

Robots lack any creativity, and so would be unable to come up with a solution unless they had already been programed to think of a correct solution.

The Uteen wrote:

As an amature student of psychology, I can tell you without a doubt, subliminal messages do not work. They lower inhibitions, not force someone to do something. If that person does not want to do said action anyways, they won't do it.

The Uteen wrote:

Ever heard of the 10% rule?

The Uteen wrote:

Only at industry.
Precisely the points im on about. Im thinking that a motivated worker, working to feed there family would create goods with a higher general quality.

Id hate to have a air battle against a machine. They dont need to worry about G forces. There space vessels are a similar thing. They can be solid state, simply by having a member of your race be made into the ship.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Machine race?   race - Machine race? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 4:33 pm

What the robots are depends on how they are created. Industry robots will not have any creativity and their thinking would be limited to work, with additional safety kill-switches if something bad would happen. This would make them excellent at work, but that's all.
Robots made for company could have emulated emotions, and would be made to infinitely "love" the mankind, but similarly would have restrictions.

See where I'm going, unless the robot would posses a truly unlimited AI, no "robot revolution" threat would exist.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Machine race?   race - Machine race? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 4:39 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
What the robots are depends on how they are created. Industry robots will not have any creativity and their thinking would be limited to work, with additional safety kill-switches if something bad would happen. This would make them excellent at work, but that's all.
Robots made for company could have emulated emotions, and would be made to infinitely "love" the mankind, but similarly would have restrictions.

See where I'm going, unless the robot would posses a truly unlimited AI, no "robot revolution" threat would exist.

As such, I would like to say that true AI should be a very late research, not up their with God Tools, but at the very least after most players reach past their cluster.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Machine race?   race - Machine race? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 5:16 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:

As such, I would like to say that true AI should be a very late research, not up their with God Tools, but at the very least after most players reach past their cluster.
It would probably be one of the highest science researches, i'd say. And yes, only after a learnable AI will robot revolutions be a problem. But my, what a problem it will be. Imagine if your entire workforce was robots. Suddenly, the new, smart robots start uploading their AI into every robot on every system everywhere. All of a sudden, you're screwed. In other words, when you get this research the first thing you'll want to do is to make your robots happy.

Which brings up another point. What makes a robot happy? Do they want love? Understanding? The right to raise young? It's all very confusing.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Machine race?   race - Machine race? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 5:24 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
It would probably be one of the highest science researches, i'd say. And yes, only after a learnable AI will robot revolutions be a problem. But my, what a problem it will be. Imagine if your entire workforce was robots. Suddenly, the new, smart robots start uploading their AI into every robot on every system everywhere. All of a sudden, you're screwed. In other words, when you get this research the first thing you'll want to do is to make your robots happy.

Which brings up another point. What makes a robot happy? Do they want love? Understanding? The right to raise young? It's all very confusing.

Only robots with the AI would be an issue. There is no reason that they'd all immedietly have it, or even that they'd try an upload it. Manny robots may not even have the capability without hardware modification.

In terms of emotion: Look up ME2's legion on Youtube. He is the perfect example of robotic emotion.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Machine race?   race - Machine race? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 11:32 am

Tenebrarum wrote:
The Uteen wrote:

Ever heard of the 10% rule? No, care to explain it?

The Uteen wrote:

Only at industry. Don't forget war, and diplomacy with other robots. And not wasting time and resources games to keep them occupied, because without emotion, there is no boredom. They also don't waste half their lives sleeping. And they can't die of old age, so they are better at living. And that's just a few I came up with in about 5 seconds.
Back to top Go down
caekdaemon
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Machine race?   race - Machine race? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 12:43 pm

I think machines trying to negotiate a deal with organics would have some trouble. Organics might possibly being intimidated by the machines, or plain out racism.

Would it be possible to dodge developing AI at all and instead go for say, a Brain in a Jar method?
Back to top Go down
eumesmo
Regular
eumesmo

PostSubject: Re: Machine race?   race - Machine race? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 4:00 pm

caekdaemon wrote:
I think machines trying to negotiate a deal with organics would have some trouble. Organics might possibly being intimidated by the machines, or plain out racism.

Would it be possible to dodge developing AI at all and instead go for say, a Brain in a Jar method?

mind uploading would come quite earlier then an AI, bout 30-40 for humans to have computers tht powerfull.....

i'm on uteen's side in this
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Machine race?   race - Machine race? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 4:09 pm

Uteen

Without emotion there is no creativity. Without creativity there is no adaptation. Without adaptation there is no survival.

True AI has emotion, setting them down with us.

Sorry to break it to you, but all sapiant life is equal. Some are better at one thing than others, but with skill comes sacrifice. If you are more quantitative in thought, you suffer the more qualitative thought. We are equal. Sorry bud.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Machine race?   race - Machine race? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 6:30 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Uteen

Without emotion there is no creativity. Without creativity there is no adaptation. Without adaptation there is no survival.

Sorry to break it to you, but all sapiant life is equal. Some are better at one thing than others, but with skill comes sacrifice. If you are more quantitative in thought, you suffer the more qualitative thought. We are equal. Sorry bud.
But technology can make us unequal. You can't truly say that modern man is equal to the man of even 1000 years ago, due to our technology. What UTeen is saying is that there is a much faster technology rate for half or full-machine races because of the ability to actually increase brainpower.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Machine race?   race - Machine race? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 6:32 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
But technology can make us unequal. You can't truly say that modern man is equal to the man of even 1000 years ago, due to our technology. What UTeen is saying is that there is a much faster technology rate for half or full-machine races because of the ability to actually increase brainpower.

The most important part of that post was the first part.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Machine race?   race - Machine race? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 6:34 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:

The most important part of that post was the first part.
But if a machine race can really be classed as a race, then it is better. By definition, it is made for performance.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Machine race?   race - Machine race? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 6:38 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
But if a machine race can really be classed as a race, then it is better. By definition, it is made for performance.

I wrote:

So I repeat. Physically, yes. By that point most races would also be able to manipulate their bodies to help with that, likely download their minds to function in robots themselves.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Machine race?   race - Machine race? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:

I wrote:

So I repeat. Physically, yes. By that point most races would also be able to manipulate their bodies to help with that, likely download their minds to function in robots themselves.
Why only physically? Eventually there will be computers that think faster than us, so really what's stopping a robot thinking better as well?
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Machine race?   race - Machine race? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 6:52 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Why only physically? Eventually there will be computers that think faster than us, so really what's stopping a robot thinking better as well?

Genetic modification. Cerebral implants. Personality matrixes. Mental downloads. Etc.

Also: Creativity. Even the best true AI will struggle with it.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Machine race?   race - Machine race? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 6:54 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:

Genetic modification. Cerebral implants. Personality matrixes. Mental downloads. Etc.

Also: Creativity. Even the best true AI will struggle with it.
Why? Creativity is created by our synapses. So obviously an equivalent synapse-ish system could create it easily.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Machine race?   race - Machine race? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 7:05 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Why? Creativity is created by our synapses. So obviously an equivalent synapse-ish system could create it easily.

Well, given the fact that less then 2% of the brain is even anywhere near understandable I'd think that full, true AI in the way that would have creativity is rather far off. Godtool far.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Machine race?   race - Machine race? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 7:33 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:

Well, given the fact that less then 2% of the brain is even anywhere near understandable I'd think that full, true AI in the way that would have creativity is rather far off. Godtool far.
I don't believe so. Mapping of the human mind will increase with computing power. So it'll come sooner than you think.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Machine race?   race - Machine race? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Machine race?
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next