Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Planet conditions Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Planet conditions Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Planet conditions Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Planet conditions Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Planet conditions Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Planet conditions Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Planet conditions Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Planet conditions Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Planet conditions Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Planet conditions Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Planet conditions Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Planet conditions Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Planet conditions Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Planet conditions Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Planet conditions Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Planet conditions Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Planet conditions Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Planet conditions Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Planet conditions Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Planet conditions Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Planet conditions

Go down 
+5
~sciocont
Invader
GamerXA
The Uteen
Agrestrife
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Agrestrife
Newcomer
Agrestrife

Planet conditions Empty
PostSubject: Planet conditions   Planet conditions EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 3:44 pm

This may have already been discussed, but how would the creatures physical actions, and maybe even internal organs, be affected by planetary conditions? For example, if the atmosphere was denser, it would be more sensable for heavier things to fly. If the gravity was low, creatures would not need strong legs.If it was hotter, it would need some way of cooling itself. Even maybe, if it was extremely hot... Gas blood?
If this game is to be realistic, we would need things like this.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Planet conditions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planet conditions   Planet conditions EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 3:51 pm

I think we plan to use a realistic physics engine, so creatures on light planets would be squashed on higher gravity planets. As for gas blood, then I don't think it would work, even if it was extremely hot. If it is so hot, liquid for blood is not available, then I don't think life would have any chance of survival. If gas-blooded creatures did exist, instead of bleeding, they would deflate. Not very good...

I think most of this has been discussed before.
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

Planet conditions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planet conditions   Planet conditions EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 4:50 pm

The Physics engine would automatically account for this, for example: if the Organism has long flimsy legs, they would be unable to support the creature in-game and would therefore be unable to move around and survive in a high gravity environment.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

Planet conditions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planet conditions   Planet conditions EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 5:50 pm

Physics will do this already. No extra coding needed. The way that evolution would work the way you said, is that the organisms that, for example, grow long, flimsy legs on a high-grav planet will not survive as long as creatures with short, burly legs. The flimsy-legged one would not last as long as a burly-legged one. Therefore, the flimsy one would be less likely to reproduce.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Planet conditions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planet conditions   Planet conditions EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 8:21 pm

This will probably all be implemented later, Bash has enough on his mind.
Back to top Go down
Agrestrife
Newcomer
Agrestrife

Planet conditions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planet conditions   Planet conditions EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 2:38 am

But how will it be capable of new concepts? For example, I made some edits to the 'gas blood'. Here is it based on an ordinary earth oxygen carbon-doixide creature

Lung-veins:

There are four main parts: the oxygen filter, (a small disk covering the inhale pipe using cells like in our lungs to only allow oxygen through, or maybe land gills) the air chamber, (which breaths like lungs but does not extract oxygen and does not exhale for reasons to be explained) the "veins", (which extract oxegen) and the exhale pipe (does exactly what it says on the tin).

First, when the air chamber breaths in, the oxygen goes through the filter to the chamber, the lungs will continueously be doing a "mexican wave" motion, pulling out the oxygen; the best way to try and picture it is this ====><=== sort of like that moving around the body giving it oxygen to the exhale pipe, where, you guessed it, it leaves the body. This means a constant flow of oxygen is flowing (and no need for the air chamber to exhale as I said)

so,
no need to waste water on urine to fiter blood because all the "blood" leaves the body anyway,
and,
the gills would stop risk of choking
and,
no need for water for the blood itself
and,
no need for heart, kidnys, etc.
and,
no risk of blood loss
and,
if the lungs are pirced, just slap a leaf on it like a plaster
but,
the air chamber would take alot of space
and...
no blood clots... yeah thats a problem... exept if it grows back as new skin appears.

So it works! Very effective on desert areas, not much water.

A physics engine is a physics engine, not a biology engine. That stuff wouldn't work.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

Planet conditions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planet conditions   Planet conditions EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 3:58 am

Agrestrife wrote:
But how will it be capable of new concepts? For example, I made some edits to the 'gas blood'. Here is it based on an ordinary earth oxygen carbon-doixide creature

Lung-veins:

There are four main parts: the oxygen filter, (a small disk covering the inhale pipe using cells like in our lungs to only allow oxygen through, or maybe land gills) the air chamber, (which breaths like lungs but does not extract oxygen and does not exhale for reasons to be explained) the "veins", (which extract oxegen) and the exhale pipe (does exactly what it says on the tin).

First, when the air chamber breaths in, the oxygen goes through the filter to the chamber, the lungs will continueously be doing a "mexican wave" motion, pulling out the oxygen; the best way to try and picture it is this ====><=== sort of like that moving around the body giving it oxygen to the exhale pipe, where, you guessed it, it leaves the body. This means a constant flow of oxygen is flowing (and no need for the air chamber to exhale as I said)

so,
no need to waste water on urine to fiter blood because all the "blood" leaves the body anyway,
and,
the gills would stop risk of choking
and,
no need for water for the blood itself
and,
no need for heart, kidnys, etc.
and,
no risk of blood loss
and,
if the lungs are pirced, just slap a leaf on it like a plaster
but,
the air chamber would take alot of space
and...
no blood clots... yeah thats a problem... exept if it grows back as new skin appears.

So it works! Very effective on desert areas, not much water.

A physics engine is a physics engine, not a biology engine. That stuff wouldn't work.
Blood does more than carry oxygen around your body, so i'm not sure how well this would work. Regardless of whether it's scientifically plausible or not, we will not be implementing these kind of far-fetched theories in the original release. Mods and Plug-ins can take care of this.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Planet conditions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planet conditions   Planet conditions EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 3:47 pm

You may be able o create something like that in the game, but i think it's better to stay inside currently defined systems unless we can consult an actual astrobiologist.
Back to top Go down
Angelic
Newcomer

Planet conditions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planet conditions   Planet conditions EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 5:28 pm

And how about water something i really missed in the original game, i mean more of the deep sea kind, lets talk about 5km below surface, were almost all life would be extinct except those who adept big/small white fish/shrimps/crabs, i may have overlooked water but its something that really important since life began in the water. also how fish get on land, and slowly fades away and dies, except for the further advanced fish like mud skippers who keep there skin wet and can survive overtime developing lungs?
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

Planet conditions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planet conditions   Planet conditions EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 6:25 pm

Angelic wrote:
And how about water something i really missed in the original game, i mean more of the deep sea kind, lets talk about 5km below surface, were almost all life would be extinct except those who adept big/small white fish/shrimps/crabs, i may have overlooked water but its something that really important since life began in the water. also how fish get on land, and slowly fades away and dies, except for the further advanced fish like mud skippers who keep there skin wet and can survive overtime developing lungs?
I don't know where you get the idea that a lot of life from the sea is extinct. The sea has incredible amounts of life. And yes, like you said, a lot of the time life would come from the water. And emerging from the water would be a matter of spending time in the shallows and on land, without dying of course. Say if there was a coastal plant and your creature crawled up the bank to eat it, went back to the water, then any land-dwelling evolutions would be selected through AutoEvo.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

Planet conditions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planet conditions   Planet conditions EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 9:36 pm

Angelic wrote:

Uhhh.... have you seen the ocean? Or an ocean documentary? Or gone fishing? For every one species on the surface, there are probably three in the ocean.

Anyway, the ones that can't surivive under those conditions will die before they can reproduce. It's simple, really. If one by chance evolves to the point that it can survive at those depths, then it will be there. If it doesn't evolve that way, it doesn't.
Back to top Go down
Angelic
Newcomer

Planet conditions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planet conditions   Planet conditions EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 3:37 am

Nah, oky just wondering
also

US_of_Alaska
Quote :
lets talk about 5km below surface, were almost all life would be extinct
is what i said not that all life in the ocean would be extinct
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

Planet conditions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planet conditions   Planet conditions EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 7:42 am

Angelic wrote:
Nah, oky just wondering
also

US_of_Alaska
Quote :
Ah. Alright. My bad. I'm just having a little trouble understanding your grammar. I'll get used to it, i'm sure.
Back to top Go down
Poisson
Regular
Poisson

Planet conditions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planet conditions   Planet conditions EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 1:48 pm

Angelic wrote:
Nah, oky just wondering
also

US_of_Alaska
Quote :
You seem to have not seen nor heard of hydrothermal vents before. Those things are teeming with life. And I may just be being a grammar Nazi here, but if there was no life there it would not be extinct. It would just be absent. Just as we don't say life on the moon is extinct, we say that there is no life.
Back to top Go down
Angelic
Newcomer

Planet conditions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planet conditions   Planet conditions EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 2:29 pm

I'm sorry, I'm not a native American/English Speaker. and I tend to use Dutch/Netherlands Grammer
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

Planet conditions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planet conditions   Planet conditions EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 2:41 pm

It's alright.

Angelic wrote:
I'm sorry, I'm not a native American/English speaker, and I tend to use Dutch/Netherlands Grammar.

Fixed.
Back to top Go down
Poisson
Regular
Poisson

Planet conditions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planet conditions   Planet conditions EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 5:27 pm

Angelic wrote:
I'm sorry, I'm not a native American/English Speaker. and I tend to use Dutch/Netherlands Grammer
Sorry about that. Your english is good enough that I thought it was your first language.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Planet conditions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planet conditions   Planet conditions EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 9:57 am

Everything will be adjustable and evolvable. Bashi is making the engine as modular as possible.
Back to top Go down
Darkgamma
Learner
Darkgamma

Planet conditions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planet conditions   Planet conditions EmptySat Nov 27, 2010 3:15 pm

[eeriefeeling]Bashinerox will need to develop pretty much millions of lines of code by himself[/eeriefeeling]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Planet conditions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planet conditions   Planet conditions Empty

Back to top Go down

Planet conditions
Page 1 of 1