Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Log in
Username:
Password:
Log in automatically: 
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
New Posts
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
by NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
by NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
by crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
by tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
by NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
by NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
by crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
by The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
by crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
by MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
by tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
by tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
by Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Translator to Serbian here
by Simeartherist Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:36 am

» Presentation
by Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
by crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
by Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
by Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
by Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
by TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm


Share | 
 

 Panda3d Engine

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ThatGuy
Newcomer


Posts : 28
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-11-07

PostSubject: Panda3d Engine   Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:11 pm

Hi I recently joined the community here and noticed you haven't exactly chosen an engine. I thought it might be helpful for me to show you something I found a while ago which is the Panda3d Engine.

Here's my little overview but you should do more investigation yourself.

- Panda3d is a Framework based for 3d games based on C++ and Python

-It is free for any purpose commercial or free

- It's a base for procedurally generated content which is a must for a game like thrive

-Provides professional shaders and rendering

- It can create easily installed applications (no extra downloads)

The only problem is that it would require alot of ground up work but for an open source project that can be easy to do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eumesmo
Regular
avatar

Posts : 297
Reputation : 4
Join date : 2010-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Panda3d Engine   Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:32 pm

i thought we were going for OGRE and a combination of C++ and Lua....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Noitulove
Regular


Posts : 237
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Panda3d Engine   Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:42 pm

eumesmo wrote:
i thought we were going for OGRE and a combination of C++ and Lua....

Uh.. yeah. Seeing as you haven't really been part of the community I find it reasonable that you haven't been around long enough to witness the point when we decided on an engine, and we've already moved some ways away from the point where we've chosen the engine let alone decided on the title for this game. It'd take some time to completely do it all over again, meaning Bashinerox (our main coder) would have to painstakingly rethink and rewrite all those 1,000-or-so lines of code.

Actually, I.. I don't really know how far he's gotten, but I know it's past a thousand lines of code. I sort of forgot about him a few weeks after his leave of absence.

I actually heard about this engine last year, I think. The graphics shown in the gallery aren't exactly top-notch and the polycount is considerably low, but that's just in terms of graphics. I can see them fitting in 2001 or something, but now they look a bit outdated.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ThatGuy
Newcomer


Posts : 28
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Panda3d Engine   Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:49 pm

Oh well Ogre is probably a better decision since it has a larger community and much more contributers and yes I wasn't aware of the decision but I'm glad to here work has started.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bashinerox
Programming Team lead
avatar

Posts : 238
Reputation : 8
Join date : 2010-07-07
Age : 28
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Panda3d Engine   Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:07 pm

I'm currently studying game development (as I don't want to be writing database applications the rest of my life) so this is part of the learning process in a sense.

I am writing a game engine from scratch (including the graphics engine)

Things like OGRE and Panda and Crystal space are little more than a mess of wrapper functions to directx or opengl. doing anything more than simple loading of mesh files requires writing your own code anyway (such as procedural generation of vertices)

so yeah. It started off in opengl, but it's got some limitations and whatnot (like the person that said that something he downloaded was hogging cpu, that's almost certainly 'cause it wasn't running hardware accelerated. Opengl doesn't allow you to know if you are running on graphics hardware or not. Directx does. also it uses radians instead of degrees) but now the graphics side of it is sitting on directx. Also lines of code for the game engine side of things is already well underway, a framework has been created and is being tweaked as we speak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Noitulove
Regular


Posts : 237
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Panda3d Engine   Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:19 pm

Bashinerox wrote:
I'm currently studying game development (as I don't want to be writing database applications the rest of my life) so this is part of the learning process in a sense.

I am writing a game engine from scratch (including the graphics engine)

Things like OGRE and Panda and Crystal space are little more than a mess of wrapper functions to directx or opengl. doing anything more than simple loading of mesh files requires writing your own code anyway (such as procedural generation of vertices)

so yeah. It started off in opengl, but it's got some limitations and whatnot (like the person that said that something he downloaded was hogging cpu, that's almost certainly 'cause it wasn't running hardware accelerated. Opengl doesn't allow you to know if you are running on graphics hardware or not. Directx does. also it uses radians instead of degrees) but now the graphics side of it is sitting on directx. Also lines of code for the game engine side of things is already well underway, a framework has been created and is being tweaked as we speak

This.

If anything, this actually sounds better than OGRE/panda/whatever-we-thought-we-were-going-to-use-a-while-back, because we don't have to really worry about limitations. Thus meaning we can have awesome, likely ideal gameplay and graphics (I'm thinking Infinity: The Quest for Earth and its engine, I-Novae- image here), seeing as the engine is specially built for us. On the downside it's going to be a very very long process, but hard work does pay off.

Please correct me if I'm wrong in any way (which I think I am).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bashinerox
Programming Team lead
avatar

Posts : 238
Reputation : 8
Join date : 2010-07-07
Age : 28
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Panda3d Engine   Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:33 pm

yea thats justabout it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
caekdaemon
Newcomer


Posts : 88
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Panda3d Engine   Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:43 pm

Just wondering, but what is the engine actually being coded in?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bashinerox
Programming Team lead
avatar

Posts : 238
Reputation : 8
Join date : 2010-07-07
Age : 28
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Panda3d Engine   Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:45 pm

C++

A scripting engine will be integrated a lil down the road, which'l most likely be either lua or falconpl
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Panda3d Engine   Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:04 pm

Bashinerox wrote:
C++

A scripting engine will be integrated a lil down the road, which'l most likely be either lua or falconpl
So at this point everything is from scratch? We're not going to save ourselves the trouble of writing a graphics engine by just including one within our main game engine.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bashinerox
Programming Team lead
avatar

Posts : 238
Reputation : 8
Join date : 2010-07-07
Age : 28
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Panda3d Engine   Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:05 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Bashinerox wrote:
C++

A scripting engine will be integrated a lil down the road, which'l most likely be either lua or falconpl
So at this point everything is from scratch? We're not going to save ourselves the trouble of writing a graphics engine by just including one within our main game engine.

My point is that it isn't saving any trouble.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Panda3d Engine   Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:09 pm

Bashinerox wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Bashinerox wrote:
C++

A scripting engine will be integrated a lil down the road, which'l most likely be either lua or falconpl
So at this point everything is from scratch? We're not going to save ourselves the trouble of writing a graphics engine by just including one within our main game engine.

My point is that it isn't saving any trouble.
Okay, just keeping myself up to date.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 1179
Reputation : 32
Join date : 2010-10-01
Age : 23
Location : ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

PostSubject: Re: Panda3d Engine   Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:30 pm

So [/thread]?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Panda3d Engine   

Back to top Go down
 
Panda3d Engine
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Thrive Game Development :: Development :: Programming :: Engines-
Jump to: