Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Two instances of god mode? Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Two instances of god mode? Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Two instances of god mode? Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Two instances of god mode? Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Two instances of god mode? Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Two instances of god mode? Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Two instances of god mode? Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Two instances of god mode? Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Two instances of god mode? Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Two instances of god mode? Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Two instances of god mode? Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Two instances of god mode? Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Two instances of god mode? Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Two instances of god mode? Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Two instances of god mode? Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Two instances of god mode? Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Two instances of god mode? Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Two instances of god mode? Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Two instances of god mode? Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Two instances of god mode? Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Two instances of god mode?

Go down 
+4
andry796
Commander Keen
Gotrol
Djohaal
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Djohaal
Learner
Djohaal

Two instances of god mode? Empty
PostSubject: Two instances of god mode?   Two instances of god mode? EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 2:54 pm

This is just an idea to toss around, but what about having two god-modes. One would be called "demiurge mode" while the other would be "sandbox"

The difference would be the lack of omnipotence of demiurge mode. This mode would appear once one acheives godhood in some regards, however unable to attain complete omnipotence.
It'd be more or less similar to Black and White games (no giant cosmic cows ) or non-sandbox sim earth in such regard you'd have an energy reserve which would be spent when doing your godly stuff on the territory you'd have influence, and such energy would be recovered from several means, such as some estoeric stuff such as "life energy" that'd come from life and sentient life existing on planets under your influence, perhaps worship power coming from planets where you did your godly stuff and the sentients started worshipping you, and more direct means such as stellar engineering of dyson shells and other sources. (an interesting gameplay mechanic would be coaxing smart sentients to build dyson shells and hand their energy to you, for instance)

This would add limitations to the player while playing god mode, which could possibly make it more interesting and fun. Some years ago I thought about a non-deterministic economy system for the usage of god powers, I should dig that up.

The sandbox mode would be full-fledged, no strings attached god mode where you can do anything that you fancy. Perhaps it could be unlocked after you reach a certain ammount of energy income at demiurge mode.
Back to top Go down
Gotrol
Art Team Lead
Gotrol

PostSubject: Re: Two instances of god mode?   Two instances of god mode? EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 4:28 pm

This really leads me into thinking of a campaign... if you finish it you get the "almighty" god mode. Has there been a suggestion of a campaign before? Maybe I missed it, sorry.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Two instances of god mode?   Two instances of god mode? EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 5:49 pm

Djohaal wrote:
2nd God Mode

I don't see why it would be needed. This is not a God simulation game, it's a life simulation game. If we ever implement it, it will be an addon.

Quote :
This really leads me into thinking of a campaign... if you finish it you get the "almighty" god mode. Has there been a suggestion of a campaign before? Maybe I missed it, sorry.

The idea is that missions or campaigns like in other games will be made by players using the God mode.
Back to top Go down
andry796
Newcomer
andry796

PostSubject: Re: Two instances of god mode?   Two instances of god mode? EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 4:44 pm

I think that "sandbox" mode is a good idea
you'll be able to create or blow up planets or to manage multiple species "directly".
You'll be omnipotent!
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Two instances of god mode?   Two instances of god mode? EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 4:47 pm

andry796 wrote:
I think that "sandbox" mode is a good idea
you'll be able to create or blow up planets or to manage multiple species "directly".
You'll be omnipotent!

That's the God mode (or Observer Mode with God Tools if you like). But I don't see why we would include the other one.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Two instances of god mode?   Two instances of god mode? EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 6:53 pm

Sorry, i don't like the idea much. I'm happier sticking to regular God Mode. Let people who want this have it post-game.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Two instances of god mode?   Two instances of god mode? EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 7:27 pm

Has everyone forgotten that we don'yt have a "God Mode" anymore? It's just the "God Tools".
Back to top Go down
Djohaal
Learner
Djohaal

PostSubject: Re: Two instances of god mode?   Two instances of god mode? EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 8:45 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Has everyone forgotten that we don'yt have a "God Mode" anymore? It's just the "God Tools".

Merely a question of language. Replace the god mode expression on my post with observer-mode-with-god-tools then.

Although pretty much all I listed in my original post requires just some extra mechanics here and there, not really something that would have to redirect the whole design to another direction, so perhaps this should be kept for a post add-on...
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

PostSubject: Re: Two instances of god mode?   Two instances of god mode? EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 10:42 pm

Seems kinda pointless. If you have not completely ascended, using the "God Tools" will simply cost more resources, and gradually cost less as you ascend.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Two instances of god mode?   Two instances of god mode? EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 2:15 pm

Eh... Sandbox sounds good, but give it campaign? If you get the power to do anything in your will, and can be anywhere and everywhere, do you really want to have to do a load of stuff? You can just do what you choose, you shouldn't have to be limited.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Two instances of god mode?   Two instances of god mode? EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 2:37 pm

~sciocont wrote:

Well, "God Mode" is just shorter version of "Observer mode with God tools". There are many people used to the term, the simplest solution would be simply introducing it into the Dictionary thread. Wich should also be brought up to the Wiki.

Quote :
Eh... Sandbox sounds good, but give it campaign? If you get the power to do anything in your will, and can be anywhere and everywhere, do you really want to have to do a load of stuff? You can just do what you choose, you shouldn't have to be limited.

Campaigns could simply be player-made worlds that would have God mode (TOOLS) forbidden by it's creator on save. The only thing we would have to include for it is the ability to forbid God mode from saves if their author wishes to.
Back to top Go down
Djohaal
Learner
Djohaal

PostSubject: Re: Two instances of god mode?   Two instances of god mode? EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 8:51 pm

I'm just pointing out limited "godhood" worked well for a gameplay device, look at how the interactivity the player had with the world in black and white 2 provided so much fun...
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Two instances of god mode?   Two instances of god mode? EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 9:39 pm

But that is not what this aims to be. This is the stage where you can finally do whatever you want. This is your sandbox universe*.

*Yes, galaxy, but dramatic effect is more fun.
Back to top Go down
Djohaal
Learner
Djohaal

PostSubject: Re: Two instances of god mode?   Two instances of god mode? EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 10:12 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
But that is not what this aims to be. This is the stage where you can finally do whatever you want. This is your sandbox universe*.

*Yes, galaxy, but dramatic effect is more fun.

A galaxy is big enough...
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Two instances of god mode?   Two instances of god mode? EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 3:45 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
Quote :

Campaigns could simply be player-made worlds that would have God mode (TOOLS) forbidden by it's creator on save. The only thing we would have to include for it is the ability to forbid God mode from saves if their author wishes to.

...You mean this is...

... Thrive Galactic Adventures! ...

...With god tools in observer mode after ascension (I don't like saying god mode) forbidden ?

To put it simply, the idea of making an adventure that can only be done when you have developed ultimate technology and have become like a god, and then disallowing god tools after ascension only when in observer mode seems... Stupid. There, I'm putting it short and straight. I don't see why this feature needs to be implemented, especially in the way you propose.
Back to top Go down
Djohaal
Learner
Djohaal

PostSubject: Re: Two instances of god mode?   Two instances of god mode? EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 4:22 pm

The Uteen wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:
Quote :

...You mean this is...

... Thrive Galactic Adventures! ...

...With god tools in observer mode after ascension (I don't like saying god mode) forbidden ?

To put it simply, the idea of making an adventure that can only be done when you have developed ultimate technology and have become like a god, and then disallowing god tools after ascension only when in observer mode seems... Stupid. There, I'm putting it short and straight. I don't see why this feature needs to be implemented, especially in the way you propose.

Think about it, galaxy-scaled puzzles? Say "develop life on this planet only using X, Y and Z tools", and none of them are make life, instead you'd have to push it around the sun so it was warm enough, etc etc etc
Plus an option to forbid a tool would probably be very simple to implement, I say this should be kept for post final though...
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Two instances of god mode?   Two instances of god mode? EmptyWed Dec 08, 2010 2:10 pm

The Uteen wrote:

Reading this, I think you misunderstood. What I proposed was making a campaign (really just setting up a save), locking out God tools in EVERY mode (possibly by burying an "ascended-reppelant" device into the planet) to prevent cheating in the save, and then posting the save on the forum as any other creation. That's all. Certainly NOT Spore-style adventures (these were horrible). Also, you would NOT have to have God tools for it, it would just be easier.

Also, it doesn't HAVE to be included, that's why there are patches and addons. Only an idea.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Two instances of god mode?   Two instances of god mode? EmptyWed Dec 08, 2010 2:27 pm

Djohaal wrote:
Think about it, galaxy-scaled puzzles? Say "develop life on this planet only using X, Y and Z tools", and none of them are make life, instead you'd have to push it around the sun so it was warm enough, etc etc etc
Plus an option to forbid a tool would probably be very simple to implement, I say this should be kept for post final though...

Actually, puzzles like this sound okay... But locking out all god tools makes them seem... Pointless.

Wait, instead of locking them out when doing the puzzle/adventure, maybe you could be told:

Do X without using G, O, and D tools, and you will gain an achievement?

So, the adventures (or puzzles, or tasks...) are just very fancy, and puzzling achievements. You don't seem to be being forced to do them, but doing them is something you might want to consider if you are the more 'I want to become the best player' sort of gamer. That way, we could merge them with the achievements part of the game, but maybe give them their own tab to show they are not just a simple 'do this' but more a 'accomplish this challenge'.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Two instances of god mode?   Two instances of god mode? Empty

Back to top Go down

Two instances of god mode?
Page 1 of 1