Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Assigning Borders Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Assigning Borders Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Assigning Borders Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Assigning Borders Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Assigning Borders Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Assigning Borders Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Assigning Borders Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Assigning Borders Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Assigning Borders Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Assigning Borders Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Assigning Borders Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Assigning Borders Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Assigning Borders Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Assigning Borders Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Assigning Borders Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Assigning Borders Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Assigning Borders Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Assigning Borders Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Assigning Borders Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Assigning Borders Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Assigning Borders

Go down 
+6
Darkgamma
US_of_Alaska
Djohaal
Lukas99
Commander Keen
Tenebrarum
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Assigning Borders Empty
PostSubject: Assigning Borders   Assigning Borders EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 5:06 pm

Now, I had a thought recently. What if the player was able to descide borders? Instead of having some mechanic in the game automatically figure them out, you could personally mark these out, creating interesting situations through border disputes. I hardly see how this would be problematic coding-wise. Defining the borders would be as simple as looking at you map and clicking and draging markers where you want them. Hopefully you could also mark them along rivers.

Borders themselves seem a very simple system. Just use a standard Civ style diplomacy, open borders, closed borders, etc. with nations getting angry or happy respectively.

Having different nations descide on this seems fun. I mean, the entire Hundred Years War was largely a very lethargic arguement over who has control of this city and how much land that included. (It only escalated into an actual war with Henry V's invasion of France, though there were a few battles before hand, some bloody enough that they created a moralistic outrage through Europe. Now I'm just shpeeling.)

This could also simplify some of the AI of the NPC Nations. (NPNs?) Instead of having to found SCs through some complicated system, seeing as how that will be more likely determined by size rather than intent, an expansionistic nation (Either through Culture or Leader) would merely claim all the land it could for itself, regardless of usefullness.

Side Note: Before you yell at me that any nation would claim all the land it could, remember that Russia didn't claim Siberia until very late in it's history, simply because they had no reason to.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

Assigning Borders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Assigning Borders   Assigning Borders EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 5:41 pm

Great idea. If we include both automatic and manual creations of borders, as well allowing both to copy terrain features as well as setting up artificial straight borders (I think you already said this), it will be a great gameplay mechanic.

Logically, not expanding enough will leave you with little land and resources compared to your neighbours, and expanding too quickly is going to upset them, as well as leaving you with area too big to supply and defend. Also, more fun with setting your borders deep into the territory of an other nation and letting it either accept or wage war, possibilities are endless.

Develop this concept more and I'll stuff it into the Wiki.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Assigning Borders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Assigning Borders   Assigning Borders EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 6:14 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
Great idea. If we include both automatic and manual creations of borders, as well allowing both to copy terrain features as well as setting up artificial straight borders (I think you already said this), it will be a great gameplay mechanic.

Logically, not expanding enough will leave you with little land and resources compared to your neighbours, and expanding too quickly is going to upset them, as well as leaving you with area too big to supply and defend. Also, more fun with setting your borders deep into the territory of an other nation and letting it either accept or wage war, possibilities are endless.

Exactly what I was trying, and failing, to say.

I don't really have much else though.
Back to top Go down
Lukas99
Newcomer
Lukas99

Assigning Borders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Assigning Borders   Assigning Borders EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 6:55 pm

I think that you shouldn't be be able to set up borders. You would have to send a surveyor/scout to the boundries in order to set them up.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Assigning Borders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Assigning Borders   Assigning Borders EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 7:05 pm

Lukas99 wrote:
I think that you shouldn't be be able to set up borders. You would have to send a surveyor/scout to the boundries in order to set them up.

Well obviously you'd need to scout the area first, but I don't think that's what you're saying.

You see, the point here is that there's a difference between having borders and enforcing them. If you have alot of security on borders, than your will will be enforced and you'll know what's going on, but poorly enforced borders will only function in name.

You see, the only point of borders existing is diplomatic. You can do whatever you want whereever you want, but doing it outside your own borders may have diplomatic consequences as you're probably doing whatever it is within someone else's.

All nations claim to have certain borders. We'll need to set up AI so that they act on their own perception of borders, but will make concetions in the face of severe inconvienience or conflict. (likelyhood to give in will be detirmined by other factors as well.) This is a step toward realism and helps gameplay, as well as not having to suffer quite so much when figuring out how to program diplomacy.
Back to top Go down
Lukas99
Newcomer
Lukas99

Assigning Borders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Assigning Borders   Assigning Borders EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 8:22 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Lukas99 wrote:

Well obviously you'd need to scout the area first, but I don't think that's what you're saying.

You see, the point here is that there's a difference between having borders and enforcing them. If you have alot of security on borders, than your will will be enforced and you'll know what's going on, but poorly enforced borders will only function in name.

You see, the only point of borders existing is diplomatic. You can do whatever you want whereever you want, but doing it outside your own borders may have diplomatic consequences as you're probably doing whatever it is within someone else's.

All nations claim to have certain borders. We'll need to set up AI so that they act on their own perception of borders, but will make concetions in the face of severe inconvienience or conflict. (likelyhood to give in will be detirmined by other factors as well.) This is a step toward realism and helps gameplay, as well as not having to suffer quite so much when figuring out how to program diplomacy.
No actually I was just trying to point out the need for scouts But you bring up a very good point.
Back to top Go down
Djohaal
Learner
Djohaal

Assigning Borders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Assigning Borders   Assigning Borders EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 10:29 pm

Commander Keen wrote:

Quoted for truth.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

Assigning Borders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Assigning Borders   Assigning Borders EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 1:50 am

I've always liked your method of drawing and enforcing borders, Rex. Happy to see it reborn. I'd also like to see it fleshed out into a fuller concept that is wiki-able.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Assigning Borders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Assigning Borders   Assigning Borders EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 4:19 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
I've always liked your method of drawing and enforcing borders, Rex. Happy to see it reborn. I'd also like to see it fleshed out into a fuller concept that is wiki-able.
What's missing?
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Assigning Borders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Assigning Borders   Assigning Borders EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 6:26 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
What's missing?

How exactly gameplay would be affected, for example. Would every X square kilometers of terriory seized create greater aggresion? Or will just the fact you seized their land bring a war?
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Assigning Borders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Assigning Borders   Assigning Borders EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 6:40 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:
What's missing?

How exactly gameplay would be affected, for example. Would every X square kilometers of terriory seized create greater aggresion? Or will just the fact you seized their land bring a war?
Okay, I'm not gonna write the equasions if that's what you're asking.

The biggest thing I'd say here is value of the land. If the land has great worth, than the more an NPN (Non Player Nation) would want it. We also have to consider military size and reputation, different nations' history with the land, any religious claims, culture, leaders' traits... The list goes on. And yes, it's very possible to have wars solely on border disputes.

We need to make sure that if borders stay as they are for long enough, than claiming more, especially if held by another nation, is an anomally. There needs to be insentive to do it other than just the land's worth.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

Assigning Borders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Assigning Borders   Assigning Borders EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 11:13 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:
What's missing?

Okay, I'm not gonna write the equasions if that's what you're asking.

The biggest thing I'd say here is value of the land. If the land has great worth, than the more an NPN (Non Player Nation) would want it. We also have to consider military size and reputation, different nations' history with the land, any religious claims, culture, leaders' traits... The list goes on. And yes, it's very possible to have wars solely on border disputes.

We need to make sure that if borders stay as they are for long enough, than claiming more, especially if held by another nation, is an anomally. There needs to be insentive to do it other than just the land's worth.
Okay. So really what we need is a way to calculate what land is worth. I think the best way to do this would be to first not worry about cultural ties. We'll get to that soon. First off, food. Nations need food, and land that is suitable for food production would be more highly valued than land that is not. Then we have things like resources, which will change according to new discoveries and researches.

And then we have the cultural things, which i'm sure you could concept better than me, Rex. Maybe we can make the AI value the city in which a certain religion initially spawned? Things like that?
Back to top Go down
Darkgamma
Learner
Darkgamma

Assigning Borders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Assigning Borders   Assigning Borders EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 12:00 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:

Maybe we can make the AI value the city in which a certain religion initially spawned? Things like that?

If you take Jerusalem into pure Muslim hands, wouldn't Christians and Jews go into outrage?
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Assigning Borders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Assigning Borders   Assigning Borders EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 4:36 pm

Darkgamma wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:

Maybe we can make the AI value the city in which a certain religion initially spawned? Things like that?

If you take Jerusalem into pure Muslim hands, wouldn't Christians and Jews go into outrage?

Okay, culture.

Darkgamma, Jerusalem is a holy city for all three. Though most Christians don't really care right now. Kinda OT comment.

Now, religiously you have a couple issues. If you have some powerful myths tied to a certain place, Mount Olympus for example, than it is holy. If the religion was founded at some point, than places tied to the founder are holy. This would be their birthplace, deathplace, and any place of enlightenment(See Muhammed/Buddha) or miracle working. This means that most religions will have several holy cities, but one particular one depending on the tennants of the religion. Jerusalem is most holy to Christians as Christ's death is the centerpeice of Christianity. It is holy to Muslims as the city containing the Dome of the Roc, but it is not as Holy as Mecca, Muhammed's birthplace, as Muhammed himself, not his actions(As much), are central to the religion. The enlightenment of Buddha is central to Buddhism. The delivery of the Promised Land is central to Judaism.

Basic culture is far easier to do. Cultural value there is based on history. Having it be your capital for an extended period of time. I still don't know how to unravel the Hundred Years War arguement though, so I'll just present it and see what you guys say.

Hundred Years War is a fight mainly over the port city of Bordeaux. The arguement went that as the Kings of England were of Norman descent, they had claim to their former holdings in France. France denied them Normandy, but the English insisted on Bordeaux, as it was a very valuable port. Most of the war was just political arguements of the legitimacy of the claim, amount of the surrounding land included in the agreement, the heritage of the Kings, so on and so on.

While most of Bordeaux's worth is found in the city itself, it wouldn't have been claimed unless there was some sort of legitimate arguement for it.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Assigning Borders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Assigning Borders   Assigning Borders EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 6:21 pm

Okay, I'm going to take some time to think up some ground rules for this but first
Quote :
(NPNs?)
I like that. Adding to abbreviations dictionary.
Back to top Go down
Darkgamma
Learner
Darkgamma

Assigning Borders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Assigning Borders   Assigning Borders EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 6:47 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:

Okay, culture.

Darkgamma, Jerusalem is a holy city for all three. Though most Christians don't really care right now. Kinda OT comment.

Now, religiously you have a couple issues. If you have some powerful myths tied to a certain place, Mount Olympus for example, than it is holy. If the religion was founded at some point, than places tied to the founder are holy. This would be their birthplace, deathplace, and any place of enlightenment(See Muhammed/Buddha) or miracle working. This means that most religions will have several holy cities, but one particular one depending on the tennants of the religion. Jerusalem is most holy to Christians as Christ's death is the centerpeice of Christianity. It is holy to Muslims as the city containing the Dome of the Rock, but it is not as Holy as Mecca, Muhammed's birthplace, as Muhammed himself, not his actions(As much), are central to the religion. The enlightenment of Buddha is central to Buddhism. The delivery of the Promised Land is central to Judaism.

Basic culture is far easier to do. Cultural value there is based on history. Having it be your capital for an extended period of time. I still don't know how to unravel the Hundred Years War arguement though, so I'll just present it and see what you guys say.

Hundred Years War is a fight mainly over the port city of Bordeaux. The arguement went that as the Kings of England were of Norman descent, they had claim to their former holdings in France. France denied them Normandy, but the English insisted on Bordeaux, as it was a very valuable port. Most of the war was just political arguements of the legitimacy of the claim, amount of the surrounding land included in the agreement, the heritage of the Kings, so on and so on.

While most of Bordeaux's worth is found in the city itself, it wouldn't have been claimed unless there was some sort of legitimate arguement for it.
I know of all that : P
I was asking a rhetorical question
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

Assigning Borders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Assigning Borders   Assigning Borders EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 9:11 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Okay, I'm going to take some time to think up some ground rules for this but first
Quote :
(NPNs?)
I like that. Adding to abbreviations dictionary.
Hmmm... It's really hard to think of something so culturally and psychologically influenced as a mathematical function that a computer can perform. Urgh.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Assigning Borders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Assigning Borders   Assigning Borders EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 9:56 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Hmmm... It's really hard to think of something so culturally and psychologically influenced as a mathematical function that a computer can perform. Urgh.
Well, get used to it. What else can we do?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Assigning Borders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Assigning Borders   Assigning Borders EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 10:26 pm

Okay borders are defined by a few different things
-geography (land empires will most likely not have complex sea space borders)
-living space (cropland, grazing land, city space)
-resources (where are rivers/mines/forests etc.)
-strength of nation
-borders of surrounding nations

These factors can be set up in two different categories: objective and subjective
Objective border properties will set up borders according to exactly what a country needs- its resources, restricted by geography. They include-
-geography
-living space
-resources

Subjective border properties depend on the governing of nations and their people. They decide who conquers and who gives in. they include-
-strength of nation
-borders of other nations

If you can think of any more, feel free to add them.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

Assigning Borders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Assigning Borders   Assigning Borders EmptySun Dec 19, 2010 12:49 pm

We could probably shove "sacred" sites, should the player choose to have them, in with living space/resources.

Though I disagree, and say that farmland (grazing/forage and cropland) should be a resource. Arable, irrigatable soil is not always common. Plus, that way if the society doesn't farm (or doesn't use metal/mineable things) then the location of those specific resources would be moot, and living space is a little more central to the borders. But that's a minor nitpick.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Assigning Borders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Assigning Borders   Assigning Borders EmptySun Dec 19, 2010 12:53 pm

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
We could probably shove "sacred" sites, should the player choose to have them, in with living space/resources.

Though I disagree, and say that farmland (grazing/forage and cropland) should be a resource. Arable, irrigatable soil is not always common. Plus, that way if the society doesn't farm (or doesn't use metal/mineable things) then the location of those specific resources would be moot, and living space is a little more central to the borders. But that's a minor nitpick.
Perhaps they should be joined- they function basically the same way.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Assigning Borders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Assigning Borders   Assigning Borders EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 3:23 pm

I just thought of a good Auto-border method. plot the SCs as points, then use them to create a Voronoi Diagram. Add some noise to the lines on the sides, adjust pressure within the cells to simulate the power of the SC, and you have country borders.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Assigning Borders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Assigning Borders   Assigning Borders EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 5:41 pm

I could see that as a stopgap for now, but later we will need making borders around important natural features (mountains or big rivers, ...)
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Assigning Borders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Assigning Borders   Assigning Borders EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 5:53 pm

The voronoi method could cover borders that aren't decided by that sort of thing.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Assigning Borders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Assigning Borders   Assigning Borders EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 9:26 pm

~sciocont wrote:
The voronoi method could cover borders that aren't decided by that sort of thing.
Only as default. Always allow the player to define borders.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Assigning Borders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Assigning Borders   Assigning Borders Empty

Back to top Go down

Assigning Borders
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Thrive Game Development :: Development :: Design :: Modes :: Strategy-
Jump to: