Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Decision Time - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Decision Time - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Decision Time - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Decision Time - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Decision Time - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Decision Time - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Decision Time - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Decision Time - Page 3 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Decision Time - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Decision Time - Page 3 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Decision Time - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Decision Time - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Decision Time - Page 3 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Decision Time - Page 3 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Decision Time - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Decision Time - Page 3 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Decision Time - Page 3 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Decision Time - Page 3 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Decision Time - Page 3 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Decision Time - Page 3 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Decision Time

Go down 
+7
caekdaemon
Redstar
bill2505
specialk2121
Tenebrarum
Mysterious_Calligrapher
US_of_Alaska
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Tree or Branch?
Tree
Decision Time - Page 3 Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c43%Decision Time - Page 3 Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c
 43% [ 6 ]
Branch
Decision Time - Page 3 Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c57%Decision Time - Page 3 Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c
 57% [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 14

AuthorMessage
Smothmoth
Newcomer
Smothmoth

Decision Time - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 5:57 pm

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
Hence why I think it should be togglable. This is not really a programming issue, it's a player preference issue, just like special events cameras. If we hard code for what we think the majority of players want, we're going to annoy the other half - who might be the actual majority. Togglable options will allow Smoth to micromanage and Alaska not to bother with the notifications at all.

Yes, and you should be able to change them on the fly. Say I want an immersive experience when I'm playing in organism mode in the early stages, but I want a gamey experience in strategy mode later on. We need to have extensive options, everyone has a different play style.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 6:12 pm

Simplest solution: pause game, go into options (which is usually near "save" and switch the toggle.)
Actually, I'd be surprised if we did it any differently, because that seems to be gaming standard.
Back to top Go down
Smothmoth
Newcomer
Smothmoth

PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 6:15 pm

Simplest solution: pause game, go into options (which is usually near "save" and switch the toggle.)
Actually, I'd be surprised if we did it any differently, because that seems to be gaming standard.

Some games don't let you change options like these in game, sometimes they even require you to start a whole new game to change them.

Last edited by Smothmoth on Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 6:45 pm

Smothmoth wrote:

Some games don't let you change options like these in game, sometimes they ever require you to start a whole new game to change them.
Head, meet keyboard.
I'm assuming these are the strat games that I don't play...
Seriously though, now that it's been discussed, I don't envision us doing it any differently, as those of us who are concerned know how frustrating the alternative is.
Back to top Go down
Smothmoth
Newcomer
Smothmoth

PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 6:57 pm

Head, meet keyboard.
I'm assuming these are the strat games that I don't play...
Seriously though, now that it's been discussed, I don't envision us doing it any differently, as those of us who are concerned know how frustrating the alternative is.

Mostly obscure Russian Strategy games, and agreed.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 12:46 am

Tenebrarum wrote:
Smoth, quick correction here: Feudalism doesn't exist. The system was invented in the flood of anti-cultural propaganda used to promote rennaisance ideals.
Now I have to go back and shake my finger at my middle-school history teachers. I never knew that. (Though, off-topic, feudalism is supposed to refer to pre-renaissance, not renaissance...)
However, we definitely have something called "Feudalism" hanging out in the tech tree - etymological debates aside, we can either a) rename it or b) consent to allowing it to remain defined and named as is.
Smoth, Tenebrarum and I often look too hard into the little details. Don't worry about it.

Back on topic, game spam may be incessant, but isn't there usually a cheat or toggle to disable it?
The rennaisance was a cultural revolutiondesigned to give power to it's instigators. They made up the concept of a system with oppressed the masses which supposedly everyone ascribed to. Part of the propaganda. Hence our stereotyping of the Dung Ages. Ironically the position of women was the highest it would ever be before sufferage during the Middle Ages, and one of the little aspects of the movement that likes to slip by unnoticed is their fall in status.

Sorry. I'm going way far OT here.

On the topic of spam: This game is gonna be slow people. Realtime. The player can speed it up, but if they ever feel swamped they can slow it back down again.
Back to top Go down
Smothmoth
Newcomer
Smothmoth

PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 1:10 am

Tenebrarum wrote:

The rennaisance was a cultural revolutiondesigned to give power to it's instigators. They made up the concept of a system with oppressed the masses which supposedly everyone ascribed to. Part of the propaganda. Hence our stereotyping of the Dung Ages. Ironically the position of women was the highest it would ever be before sufferage during the Middle Ages, and one of the little aspects of the movement that likes to slip by unnoticed is their fall in status.

Again I will ask, what the Belgium are you talking about? I googled around, I can't find your theory of the Renaissance anywhere. Who told you this?

Tenebrarum wrote:

Sorry. I'm going way far OT here.

On the topic of spam: This game is gonna be slow people. Realtime. The player can speed it up, but if they ever feel swamped they can slow it back down again.

Yes, selectable play speed is also a genre standard.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 1:15 am

Smothmoth wrote:
Again I will ask, what the Belgium are you talking about? I googled around, I can't find your theory of the Renaissance anywhere. Who told you this?
I googled around too, and found that a lot of historians find the word fuedalism is a term for so many different systems that it doesn't have any relevant meaning.
Back to top Go down
Smothmoth
Newcomer
Smothmoth

PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 1:22 am

US_of_Alaska wrote:

I googled around too, and found that a lot of historians find the word fuedalism is a term for so many different systems that it doesn't have any relevant meaning.

That is true, there is some debate about the use of the term. It is still the most widely used term to describe the social system of Medieval Europe.

The part about the Renaissance era power grab conspiracy though, I can't find anything.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 2:32 am

Smothmoth wrote:
That is true, there is some debate about the use of the term. It is still the most widely used term to describe the social system of Medieval Europe.

The part about the Renaissance era power grab conspiracy though, I can't find anything.
But, i do feel that as an economic branch feudalism is reasonable. And i think that having a word that doesn't have a strict meaning can be suitably used for a branch. Any arguments with that, Rex?

And smoth, i thought that mysticism would be a better branch for religion types to live under.
Back to top Go down
Smothmoth
Newcomer
Smothmoth

PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 2:47 am

US_of_Alaska wrote:

And smoth, i thought that mysticism would be a better branch for religion types to live under.

I think Mysticism should be the first religion research, where everyone is worshiping things like the sun and moon. This moves onto more dedicated research into religion with Theology, which moves on into large Organized Religions.

We could swap it around, Mysticism - Organized Religion - Theology.

Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 2:51 am

Smothmoth wrote:
I think Mysticism should be the first religion research, where everyone is worshiping things like the sun and moon. This moves onto more dedicated research into religion with Theology, which moves on into large Organized Religions.

We could swap it around, Mysticism - Organized Religion - Theology.
But what inventions would fit under mysticism? Sacrifice, what else?
Back to top Go down
Smothmoth
Newcomer
Smothmoth

PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 2:54 am

US_of_Alaska wrote:

But what inventions would fit under mysticism? Sacrifice, what else?

Ritualism, Worship, Idolization, and Sacrifice
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 5:21 am

The problem with too many researches still stands. If inventions are researched too quickly, the player will have a hard time reacting. He could either slow the game down for the cost of very long playing time, or he could just select premade TOs instead of making his own, just to handle the pace, making every civilisation look similar.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 8:56 am

My theory is based off a number of medieval studies professors I've met, and Terry Jones. No objections to economy other than the presence of the system before the term, and the negative conotations it brings with.

Also, note that the rennaisance as power grab only lasted a little while once a few members cemented themselves in power.

Commander Keen wrote:
The problem with too many researches still stands. If inventions are researched too quickly, the player will have a hard time reacting. He could either slow the game down for the cost of very long playing time, or he could just select premade TOs instead of making his own, just to handle the pace, making every civilisation look similar.

Long playing time is bad?
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 10:29 am

By long playing time, I mean about 24 hours of gameplay.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 10:57 am

Other things under religion could possibly (if they don't already) include charity and conversion.
Back to top Go down
Smothmoth
Newcomer
Smothmoth

PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 12:50 pm

Commander Keen wrote:

Have it so you can only focus on one branch at a time, inventions from the branches you are not focusing on get their discovery chance cut in half.

Tenebrarum wrote:
My theory is based off a number of medieval studies professors I've met, and Terry Jones. No objections to economy other than the presence of the system before the term, and the negative conotations it brings with.

Also, note that the rennaisance as power grab only lasted a little while once a few members cemented themselves in power.

I'm sorry, but where is the proof that Feudalism didn't exist? I've tried looking and I can't find anything mentioning a theory like yours, even on conspiracy loon sites.

This also tells me it is not a very popular theory, shouldn't we use the most commonly accepted view of history?

Other things under religion could possibly (if they don't already) include charity and conversion.

Those would fit under Organized Religion, or Theology if US_of_Alaska prefers to swap the two.

Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 1:05 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feudalism

First paragraph goes over the fact that the system as it is stereotyped is highly disputed by historians. Not proof, I know, but I'd mark the first paragraph of the wikipedia article as mainstream enough not to be nut-job crazy.

Feudalism is the concept of one ruler who has bound peasants to him as slaves. That is what I'm disputing. They were not slaves. They had their own local government structure, (In some cases democratic) they were only bound as far as taxes were concerned, and were allowed to leave at any time. This is supported by accounts at the time.

Now, the Kinghts-Nobles-King hierarchy has a grain of truth in it, but that's Vassalage. Not Feudalism.

I admit my wording was poor. It didn't exist as it is stereotyped. The system of peasants vs. lords was there, but that has existed ever since civilization has. It's nothing that was created 1000 years in.

Religion points: Part of the Arbitrary Traits I beleive. We could add them as inventions though, if you think that'd be better.

I dislike the one research focus at a time idea. I really don't think this is nearly as bad as you people are making it out to be.
Back to top Go down
Smothmoth
Newcomer
Smothmoth

PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 1:24 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feudalism

First paragraph goes over the fact that the system as it is stereotyped is highly disputed by historians. Not proof, I know, but I'd mark the first paragraph of the wikipedia article as mainstream enough not to be nut-job crazy.

The first paragraph mentions the debate about the use of the term, as US_of_Alaska mentioned. That still doesn't change the fact that Feudalism is the most common term, we need to stick with what most people know.

Tenebrarum wrote:

Feudalism is the concept of one ruler who has bound peasants to him as slaves. That is what I'm disputing. They were not slaves. They had their own local government structure, (In some cases democratic) they were only bound as far as taxes were concerned, and were allowed to leave at any time. This is supported by accounts at the time.

Now, the Kinghts-Nobles-King hierarchy has a grain of truth in it, but that's Vassalage. Not Feudalism.

I admit my wording was poor. It didn't exist as it is stereotyped. The system of peasants vs. lords was there, but that has existed ever since civilization has. It's nothing that was created 1000 years in.

Okay, they way you worded it made it seem like you were disputing the whole system. I still haven't found anything about that Renaissance era conspiracy though.

Tenebrarum wrote:
I dislike the one research focus at a time idea. I really don't think this is nearly as bad as you people are making it out to be.

I don't think this is a problem at all either, but some people do I guess.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 1:41 pm

Smothmoth wrote:
The first paragraph mentions the debate about the use of the term, as US_of_Alaska mentioned. That still doesn't change the fact that Feudalism is the most common term, we need to stick with what most people know.
Yes, but we still don't even have a universally accepted definition for it. We'd be using a nebulous word with huge baggage with it to describe something that didn't really exist as we think of it as, in addition to sticking it in a place that makes no sense when the closest thing to a definition of it would logically point to it's inception at the dawn of the agricultural revolution. It's like calling the technology to travel at near light-speed "Stasis" because of the side-effects. It makes no sense.

Smothmoth wrote:
Okay, they way you worded it made it seem like you were disputing the whole system. I still haven't found anything about that Renaissance era conspiracy though.
The conspiracy was incredably small and confined, as well as idealogical. I hate calling it a conspiracy because A. it makes me sound like, well, a conspiracy theorist and B. these people really did believe they were doing the right thing. It was started by a small group almost akin to a gentlemen's club and eventually grew into a movement of wealthy lords and the like calling for more power. It would be like calling the Tea-Party movement a conspiracy.

In any case, it really has no bearing on us. That's Earth-centric.
P.S. Try reading Terry Jones' "Medieval Lives" if you're still interested.

Smothmoth wrote:
I don't think this is a problem at all either, but some people do I guess.
Okay then, will someone please explain why having a willy-shrivelingly huge research tree is bad per se? It's not bloated, just big. And it needs to be! I mean, this game is huge. Simplification is good and all but the research tree's code will, if I'm correct, be some of the simplest coding here. Nothing challenging at all. It just unlocks stuff. And having a big confusing tree is no worse than anything else. We just have to hunt for redundancies and slip-ups to make sure that everything on the tree is in fact logical and understandable.
Back to top Go down
Smothmoth
Newcomer
Smothmoth

PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 2:03 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:

Yes, but we still don't even have a universally accepted definition for it. We'd be using a nebulous word with huge baggage with it to describe something that didn't really exist as we think of it as, in addition to sticking it in a place that makes no sense when the closest thing to a definition of it would logically point to it's inception at the dawn of the agricultural revolution. It's like calling the technology to travel at near light-speed "Stasis" because of the side-effects. It makes no sense.

Does the average person know about any of this debate? Most likely not, when most people hear the word Feudalism they are going to think of the Middle Ages. I think thats all that matters.

Tenebrarum wrote:

Okay then, will someone please explain why having a willy-shrivelingly huge research tree is bad per se? It's not bloated, just big. And it needs to be! I mean, this game is huge. Simplification is good and all but the research tree's code will, if I'm correct, be some of the simplest coding here. Nothing challenging at all. It just unlocks stuff. And having a big confusing tree is no worse than anything else. We just have to hunt for redundancies and slip-ups to make sure that everything on the tree is in fact logical and understandable.

I completely agree, we need to have a large and detailed Research Tree.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 2:14 pm

Smothmoth wrote:
Does the average person know about any of this debate? Most likely not, when most people hear the word Feudalism they are going to think of the Middle Ages. I think thats all that matters.
Alright, seriously? We're trying to base this game on reality. Does the average person know how star-type effect the chorophil of the plants on planets orbiting said star? No, but we're still working on that information, and no-one's arguing against that. Why would we include feudalism if it doesn't do anything?

Smothmoth wrote:
I completely agree, we need to have a large and detailed Research Tree.
While I'm still remembering this, it's my assumption that we have agreed to release Thrive in chunks, right? First the editors, then the game, piece by piece, starting with microbe and gradually going longer and bigger until we finally finish Post-Ascension. Then we'd go back and start working on and releasing anything we wanted to do but descided against. A great big research tree would allow for significant growth of the race between the point of downloading the next chunk and the release of the next one.

Thrive is gonna be big. No player should be able to hit Ascention in less than maybe 150 hours at a minimum.
Back to top Go down
Smothmoth
Newcomer
Smothmoth

PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 2:25 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:

Alright, seriously? We're trying to base this game on reality. Does the average person know how star-type effect the chorophil of the plants on planets orbiting said star? No, but we're still working on that information, and no-one's arguing against that. Why would we include feudalism if it doesn't do anything?

But it will do something, it will be a Research Branch that contains inventions relating to medieval sociology and economics. Including things like Vassalage and Serfdom.

Tenebrarum wrote:

While I'm still remembering this, it's my assumption that we have agreed to release Thrive in chunks, right? First the editors, then the game, piece by piece, starting with microbe and gradually going longer and bigger until we finally finish Post-Ascension. Then we'd go back and start working on and releasing anything we wanted to do but descided against. A great big research tree would allow for significant growth of the race between the point of downloading the next chunk and the release of the next one.

Thrive is gonna be big. No player should be able to hit Ascention in less than maybe 150 hours at a minimum.

150 hours is a bit much, but otherwise I agree.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 2:31 pm

Smothmoth wrote:
But it will do something, it will be a Research Branch that contains inventions relating to medieval sociology and economics. Including things like Vassalage and Serfdom.
Actually most medieval culture spawns from Vassalage, so you can just use that. As in, serfdom comes from the seperation of the vassal and the peasantry, guilds come from the peasantry organizing themselves due to that, etc. Even Free Church comes from that seperation. We good?

Smothmoth wrote:
150 hours is a bit much, but otherwise I agree.
What would you put down as Minimum?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Decision Time   Decision Time - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Decision Time
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next