Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
 Placement of Society Centers Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
 Placement of Society Centers Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
 Placement of Society Centers Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
 Placement of Society Centers Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
 Placement of Society Centers Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
 Placement of Society Centers Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
 Placement of Society Centers Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
 Placement of Society Centers Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
 Placement of Society Centers Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
 Placement of Society Centers Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
 Placement of Society Centers Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
 Placement of Society Centers Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
 Placement of Society Centers Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
 Placement of Society Centers Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
 Placement of Society Centers Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
 Placement of Society Centers Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
 Placement of Society Centers Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
 Placement of Society Centers Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
 Placement of Society Centers Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
 Placement of Society Centers Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Placement of Society Centers

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Invader
Experienced
Invader

Placement of Society Centers Empty
PostSubject: Placement of Society Centers    Placement of Society Centers EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 11:17 pm

I have realised a problem with the Society Centers: How do we place them? I know the AI can build them on it's own, but what about the player?

My idea: Like in Civilization, we should be able to produce a unit at our existing SC: Settlers. Then you can command them to a point on your planet, and tell them to settle there. Then a tiny, extremely-basic SC will be built where they are. The Settler unit would be protrayed as either a large group of people, or a group of vehicles (depending on your progression through research).

If we are to carry out my idea for underwater SCs, then the settlers would simply become portrayed as a large group of submarines (provided you have enough research in the research types dedicated to the understanding of the ocean and how to traverse through it). The way we would determine how deep the SC would be would depend on the level of research through the aforementioned tracks. Those tracks would determine the maximum depth at which you may travel, and, in turn, limit the places you may build your SC to that depth.

Remember that until you give the settelers a location to travel to, they will remain idle, unlike other units which AI would control if you didn't. If you were to give your settlers an underwater location, they would use submarines. If you give them a location that requires the passing through some water, they will use a boat.

Also the settler unit would slowly deteriorate over time- settlers would either die or return home, and supplies would run out. You could head to an existing SC or a friendly SC to replenish these things. You should be able to scroll over your unit to check these things.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Placement of Society Centers    Placement of Society Centers EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 4:40 am

I think the best way to handle this would not be to have a 'settler' or 'colonist' unit, but have a group of deployed units grouped into a 'colony'. That way you could send a bunch of workers, gatherers and civilians to a new SC site, with military support in case things get rough. Of course, any area that has enough buildings and people in it could be turned into a Society Centre, so the player could choose to set up their colonies any way they choose to. But the option to group units into a single-functioning object would be handy for mass colonizations.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

PostSubject: Re: Placement of Society Centers    Placement of Society Centers EmptyFri Jul 16, 2010 3:44 am

US_of_Alaska wrote:
I think the best way to handle this would not be to have a 'settler' or 'colonist' unit, but have a group of deployed units grouped into a 'colony'. That way you could send a bunch of workers, gatherers and civilians to a new SC site, with military support in case things get rough. Of course, any area that has enough buildings and people in it could be turned into a Society Centre, so the player could choose to set up their colonies any way they choose to. But the option to group units into a single-functioning object would be handy for mass colonizations.

Maybe it would auto-group once they get too grouped-up. This would not automatically turn the unit into a Colony- it would just merge them all. You could use it in any way you want. You could group up a bunch of military units and use them as an army, you could group up a bunch of engineers and send them to go repair some sort of mega-disaster (like if a city gets torn apart by a disaster, you could send them to repair it).

If you left one idle long enough, they would automatically form an SC of their own or temporarily stay in a nearby one.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Placement of Society Centers    Placement of Society Centers EmptyFri Jul 16, 2010 3:52 am

InvaderZim wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:

Maybe it would auto-group once they get too grouped-up. This would not automatically turn the unit into a Colony- it would just merge them all. You could use it in any way you want. You could group up a bunch of military units and use them as an army, you could group up a bunch of engineers and send them to go repair some sort of mega-disaster (like if a city gets torn apart by a disaster, you could send them to repair it).

If you left one idle long enough, they would automatically form an SC of their own or temporarily stay in a nearby one.
I don't want my people to auto-manage unless i tell them to. Having a simple Grouping mechanic (drag a box, give the group a name).
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

PostSubject: Re: Placement of Society Centers    Placement of Society Centers EmptyFri Jul 16, 2010 3:55 am

US_of_Alaska wrote:
I don't want my people to auto-manage unless i tell them to. Having a simple Grouping mechanic (drag a box, give the group a name).

Even better.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Placement of Society Centers    Placement of Society Centers EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 4:13 am

How would you call for the whole squad? Would there be a panel of buttons somewhere, would selecting one of the group select the whole group, or would they be selected as one big group of mechanics, nothing more than one big unit?

Last edited by The Uteen on Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Placement of Society Centers    Placement of Society Centers EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 4:27 am

The Uteen wrote:
How would you call for the whole quad? Would there be a panel of buttons somewhere, would selecting one of the group select the whole group, or would they be selected as one big group of mechanics, nothing more than one big unit?
Well, i'd say that assigning key shortcuts to a group should be possible. But mostly you would just select the group as you would select a unit: click it. Then the group acts as a unit that has all of the abilities of the individual units it contains. You could also easily separate the group back into individual units and control them that way.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Placement of Society Centers    Placement of Society Centers EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 4:30 am

How would you separate them?
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Placement of Society Centers    Placement of Society Centers EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 4:37 am

The Uteen wrote:
How would you separate them?
Well the same way that you group them. Through the click of a GUI button, or through a keyboard shortcut.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Placement of Society Centers    Placement of Society Centers Empty

Back to top Go down

Placement of Society Centers
Page 1 of 1