Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
 Rebel Cities Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
 Rebel Cities Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
 Rebel Cities Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
 Rebel Cities Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
 Rebel Cities Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
 Rebel Cities Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
 Rebel Cities Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
 Rebel Cities Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
 Rebel Cities Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
 Rebel Cities Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
 Rebel Cities Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
 Rebel Cities Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
 Rebel Cities Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
 Rebel Cities Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
 Rebel Cities Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
 Rebel Cities Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
 Rebel Cities Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
 Rebel Cities Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
 Rebel Cities Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
 Rebel Cities Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Rebel Cities

Go down 
+10
ADMIN
maker.of.light
YourBreakfast
~sciocont
Commander Keen
The Uteen
koiboi59
Falthron
US_of_Alaska
Invader
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Invader
Experienced
Invader

Rebel Cities Empty
PostSubject: Rebel Cities    Rebel Cities EmptyFri Jul 16, 2010 3:48 am

I have an idea, also from my favorite game EVAR.

Secret Society. A Society Center that forms in secrecy and lays low, completely self-sufficient. These would be used for minorities that are facing criticism in their own societies, and dare not risk a rebellion.

It is possible that once these Secret Societies grow enough, that they'd reveal themselves to the world and act as their own seperate nation.

Last edited by InvaderZim on Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

Rebel Cities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebel Cities    Rebel Cities EmptyFri Jul 16, 2010 4:07 am

InvaderZim wrote:

Secret Society. A Society Center that forms in secrecy and lays low, completely self-sufficient. These would be used for minorities that are facing criticism in their own societies, and dare not risk a rebellion.

It is possible that once these Secret Societies grow enough, that they'd reveal themselves to the world and act as their own seperate nation.
I'm not sure about this... I think maybe having their own SCs is a bit much. Maybe when enough rebellion and disorder is present, the rebels could make their own organisations. Even run for government in SCs. Say the player chooses a governor that has rebel allegiances, then that might ease the rebelliousness but cost the player resources and even the way they run things. A rebel-controlled city might even try to declare it's independence.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

Rebel Cities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebel Cities    Rebel Cities EmptyFri Jul 16, 2010 4:09 am

US_of_Alaska wrote:
InvaderZim wrote:

I'm not sure about this... I think maybe having their own SCs is a bit much. Maybe when enough rebellion and disorder is present, the rebels could make their own organisations. Even run for government in SCs. Say the player chooses a governor that has rebel allegiances, then that might ease the rebelliousness but cost the player resources and even the way they run things. A rebel-controlled city might even try to declare it's independence.

I agree with that. No need for this thread anymore; delete it, please.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

Rebel Cities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebel Cities    Rebel Cities EmptyFri Jul 16, 2010 4:13 am

InvaderZim wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:
InvaderZim wrote:

I agree with that. No need for this thread anymore; delete it, please.
I think it's better it stays. Just change the name to 'Rebel cities' or something.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

Rebel Cities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebel Cities    Rebel Cities EmptyFri Jul 16, 2010 5:32 pm

Alright. Changed.
Back to top Go down
Falthron
Newcomer

Rebel Cities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebel Cities    Rebel Cities EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 11:26 pm

Now regarding Declaring Independence, I would find it Ironic if an American player had a really good income source in a distant country area he colonized . But to pay for a war he got into with his rivals he had to tax the civilians in the colonies. Those colonies would proceed to declare itself Independent and loses the war he had with his former colonies to take back his great revenue source in which he proceeds to go rant on in the forums about how it was so stupid and should never happen. Which then all other forumers proceed to lol at him for irony of the situation.

Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

Rebel Cities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebel Cities    Rebel Cities EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 12:46 am

Falthron wrote:
Now regarding Declaring Independence, I would find it Ironic if an American player had a really good income source in a distant country area he colonized . But to pay for a war he got into with his rivals he had to tax the civilians in the colonies. Those colonies would proceed to declare itself Independent and loses the war he had with his former colonies to take back his great revenue source in which he proceeds to go rant on in the forums about how it was so stupid and should never happen. Which then all other forumers proceed to lol at him for irony of the situation.

...Okay then.
Back to top Go down
koiboi59
Learner
koiboi59

Rebel Cities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebel Cities    Rebel Cities EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 12:57 pm

i like the idea but it seems incredibly complex.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Rebel Cities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebel Cities    Rebel Cities EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 3:40 pm

Falthron wrote:

I wouldn't. I cannot comprehend it. Also, stupid player, it's their fault.

What was the point of this post? All it's doing is showing how the player could get conquered because they were a bad player, and that is somehow ironic. That is not relevant!
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

Rebel Cities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebel Cities    Rebel Cities EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 3:48 pm

If the game will be how we envision it now, then it will be possible without any special scripting.
Back to top Go down
Falthron
Newcomer

Rebel Cities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebel Cities    Rebel Cities EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 4:46 pm

The Uteen wrote:
Falthron wrote:

What was the point of this post? All it's doing is showing how the player could get conquered because they were a bad player, and that is somehow ironic. That is not relevant!
Its Ironic because an American player got angry at a colony of theirs declaring independence.

It only seems complex, it really boils down to unhappy citizens getting to unhappy will start a revolution. the farther away from the home city it is the more of an advantage it is has, to simulate the knowledge they have of the land.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Rebel Cities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebel Cities    Rebel Cities EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 3:14 pm

Falthron wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
Falthron wrote:

Its Ironic because an American player got angry at a colony of theirs declaring independence.

I think I'm missing something here.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Rebel Cities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebel Cities    Rebel Cities EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 3:19 pm

The Uteen wrote:
Falthron wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
Falthron wrote:

The American colonists, as much as we hate to admit it, were whiny Belgiums.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Rebel Cities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebel Cities    Rebel Cities EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 4:22 pm

~sciocont wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
Falthron wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
Falthron wrote:

The American colonists, as much as we hate to admit it, were whiny Belgiums.

Hmm...
Okay.
(I've gone and killed it now :bashhead:)
Back to top Go down
YourBreakfast
Learner
YourBreakfast

Rebel Cities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebel Cities    Rebel Cities EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 9:58 pm

Falthron wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
Falthron wrote:

It only seems complex, it really boils down to unhappy citizens getting to unhappy will start a revolution. the farther away from the home city it is the more of an advantage it is has, to simulate the knowledge they have of the land.

I'm getting the idea that it's ironic because Americans declared independence from Britain
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

Rebel Cities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebel Cities    Rebel Cities EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 5:11 am

Well... enough about the irony. On with the thread.

How would the government react to a city rebelling and breaking free of it's rein? How much would government type affect this?

Also, Columbia. It's the new Rapture.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

Rebel Cities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebel Cities    Rebel Cities EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 5:33 am

InvaderZim wrote:

How would the government react to a city rebelling and breaking free of it's rein? How much would government type affect this?
I'm going to say... badly. Unless if the nation has a high liberty setting and a pacifist leader or policy, this would likely trigger a war. Ah! Herein lies another point! For in a civil war, people often flip sides based on ideology. We need to have this programmed in somehow.
Back to top Go down
maker.of.light
Newcomer
maker.of.light

Rebel Cities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebel Cities    Rebel Cities EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 2:27 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
InvaderZim wrote:

I'm going to say... badly. Unless if the nation has a high liberty setting and a pacifist leader or policy, this would likely trigger a war. Ah! Herein lies another point! For in a civil war, people often flip sides based on ideology. We need to have this programmed in somehow.

Reminds me of when i was playing as britain in civ 4 beyond the sword and i had colonys in australia, india, upper africa, and even america and controled most of europe then i had a civil war because i was bankrupt and all that stuff. I was pretty mad when i found out its not really a civil war. its just all your towns VS your capital town. i basically ragequitted at that point
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Rebel Cities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebel Cities    Rebel Cities EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 6:21 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
InvaderZim wrote:

Whichever populations share the most with the rebels will lose a certain percent of the members to the cause, depending on how close their ideals are.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

Rebel Cities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebel Cities    Rebel Cities EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 7:07 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Whichever populations share the most with the rebels will lose a certain percent of the members to the cause, depending on how close their ideals are.
Maybe we could have it directly correlate to the unhappiness of SCs. Say the unhappiness of the SC is 55%, then 55% of the population would join the rebels? This could then go even further, directly relating to each specialist. This would mean that in a civil war scenario, the best thing to do would be to keep the armed forces happy. Because even if there was 60% civilian unhappiness, they would be near-powerless against the 96% happy military.

Also, terrorism. How would rebels create terror organisations?

@light: We definitely need to make sure that revolutions and civil wars are realistic but fair, unlike Rhye's of Mankind Mod tended to be.
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

Rebel Cities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebel Cities    Rebel Cities EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 5:47 am

Hmmm... what if the army is miserable, but the people are happy as clams?
Back to top Go down
YourBreakfast
Learner
YourBreakfast

Rebel Cities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebel Cities    Rebel Cities EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 8:25 am

InvaderZim wrote:
Hmmm... what if the army is miserable, but the people are happy as clams?
Well.... how can that be? Unless the army is somewhat forced to do a lot of fighting...
Really, the people would give out to the government for letting their troops be unhappy.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Rebel Cities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebel Cities    Rebel Cities EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 12:44 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Maybe we could have it directly correlate to the unhappiness of SCs. Say the unhappiness of the SC is 55%, then 55% of the population would join the rebels? This could then go even further, directly relating to each specialist. This would mean that in a civil war scenario, the best thing to do would be to keep the armed forces happy. Because even if there was 60% civilian unhappiness, they would be near-powerless against the 96% happy military.

Also, terrorism. How would rebels create terror organisations?

I think we'll have to read up more on sociology as the culture editor and Strat mode evolve. as for terrorism, those groups with extreme ideals want to bring attention to themslves to try and spread those ideals. They find the best way is to commit atrocities.

I don't want a big discussion on terrorism here, because we all know that will end in flames.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

Rebel Cities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebel Cities    Rebel Cities EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 8:53 pm

@Zim, YB: Unhappy army = defectors, deserters, revolts, revolutions

Basically, keep the troops happy.

@Scio: It's bordering on offensive that you think we can't have an intelligent discussion on terrorism without flaming, Scio. It's one game concept that we haven't talked about at all but is very important, especially in the modern age with anyone being able to use weapons (i mean the difference between the training needed to use a sword effectively and use a gun/bomb effectively).
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

Rebel Cities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebel Cities    Rebel Cities EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 3:59 am

Terrorism- groups of extremists of any beleif that choose to commit, as Scio said, atrocities to gain attention. It is possible to have an extremist faction choose other ways of promoting their beleifs- like the Jahova's Witnesses who are just so nice it's annoying as hell.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rebel Cities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebel Cities    Rebel Cities Empty

Back to top Go down

Rebel Cities
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next