Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
death by assassination or just a tree fell one you Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
death by assassination or just a tree fell one you Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
death by assassination or just a tree fell one you Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
death by assassination or just a tree fell one you Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
death by assassination or just a tree fell one you Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
death by assassination or just a tree fell one you Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
death by assassination or just a tree fell one you Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
death by assassination or just a tree fell one you Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
death by assassination or just a tree fell one you Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
death by assassination or just a tree fell one you Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
death by assassination or just a tree fell one you Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
death by assassination or just a tree fell one you Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
death by assassination or just a tree fell one you Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
death by assassination or just a tree fell one you Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
death by assassination or just a tree fell one you Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
death by assassination or just a tree fell one you Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
death by assassination or just a tree fell one you Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
death by assassination or just a tree fell one you Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
death by assassination or just a tree fell one you Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
death by assassination or just a tree fell one you Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

death by assassination or just a tree fell one you

Go down 
+12
GasmaskCowboy
US_of_Alaska
andry796
Rilosi
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Poisson
AIs-null
Commander Keen
Gorbachof
The Uteen
~sciocont
mike roberts
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
mike roberts
Learner

death by assassination or just a tree fell one you Empty
PostSubject: death by assassination or just a tree fell one you   death by assassination or just a tree fell one you EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 4:50 pm

ok now i am pretty sure that we have talked about this before but i couldn't find the thread but anyway this should be the death thread. what would happen after you die? when you "respawn" what would you be like in nation you were the king but now your his brother who is a slave? in organism mode what would happen? i just want to answer these compelling questions. ok over and out [center]
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: death by assassination or just a tree fell one you   death by assassination or just a tree fell one you EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 5:44 pm

Good question. Ideally, when you die you'll get to choose an org to inhabit. Death would probably be the best place to bring in observer mode.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: death by assassination or just a tree fell one you   death by assassination or just a tree fell one you EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 12:34 pm

^I thought that was got by being a plant. IMO Death is a bit too easy, and inevitable.^

You choose an organism to inhabit. Or it's random. Either would work.
We could have an option, random is quickest, choosing allows a the player to... Well, choose.
Back to top Go down
Gorbachof
Newcomer
Gorbachof

PostSubject: Re: death by assassination or just a tree fell one you   death by assassination or just a tree fell one you EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 2:42 pm

Are we talking specifically about pre-Strategy mode, because after that death should be handled differently.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: death by assassination or just a tree fell one you   death by assassination or just a tree fell one you EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 2:43 pm

The Uteen wrote:
^I thought that was got by being a plant. IMO Death is a bit too easy, and inevitable.^

We could have an option, random is quickest, choosing allows a the player to... Well, choose.
I'm saying when you die, it takes you into observer mode so that you can find a new host org to play as.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: death by assassination or just a tree fell one you   death by assassination or just a tree fell one you EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 3:32 pm

The observer mode also gives us great opportunity to show the player what killed him. Very many deaths IRL are caused by things the dead organism couldn't see. Players should be able to know what killed them so they can try to counteract. It's no fun to get slaughtered and eventually extinct by something you cannot detect.
Back to top Go down
AIs-null
Learner
AIs-null

PostSubject: Re: death by assassination or just a tree fell one you   death by assassination or just a tree fell one you EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 5:35 pm

~sciocont wrote:
The Uteen wrote:

I'm saying when you die, it takes you into observer mode so that you can find a new host org to play as.

supported.
Back to top Go down
Gorbachof
Newcomer
Gorbachof

PostSubject: Re: death by assassination or just a tree fell one you   death by assassination or just a tree fell one you EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 9:49 pm

~sciocont wrote:
The Uteen wrote:

I like that...
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: death by assassination or just a tree fell one you   death by assassination or just a tree fell one you EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 10:17 am

~sciocont wrote:
The Uteen wrote:

Could we force a pause game while selecting, when observer mode isn't unlocked? And hide the mode-specific camera options? Otherwise you might as well have unlocked it. (Except you die to get into it, which isn't a problem if you can come back by selecting an organism)

I just don't like the idea of people committing suicide all the time to use observer mode features. And having observer mode if you can observe anyway is just silly.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: death by assassination or just a tree fell one you   death by assassination or just a tree fell one you EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 10:38 am

The Uteen wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
The Uteen wrote:

Could we force a pause game while selecting, when observer mode isn't unlocked? And hide the mode-specific camera options? Otherwise you might as well have unlocked it. (Except you die to get into it, which isn't a problem if you can come back by selecting an organism)

I just don't like the idea of people committing suicide all the time to use observer mode features. And having observer mode if you can observe anyway is just silly.
That makes sense.
Back to top Go down
AIs-null
Learner
AIs-null

PostSubject: Re: death by assassination or just a tree fell one you   death by assassination or just a tree fell one you EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 11:05 am

limit to area?
Back to top Go down
Poisson
Regular
Poisson

PostSubject: Re: death by assassination or just a tree fell one you   death by assassination or just a tree fell one you EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 1:04 pm

AIs-null wrote:
limit to area?
Maybe limit it to within half a kilometer of any creature of your species? The would still give ample room to make sure it's where you want and yet would not be so large that you can explore the planet.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: death by assassination or just a tree fell one you   death by assassination or just a tree fell one you EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 2:10 pm

So, you can range about 1/2 km to pick a new host?
Or if the next host over is 3/4 km away, you can range 1/2 km from them?
And are we scaling this? - because for biomes and planet shape, a km had to be redefined as a function of a percentage of the planet (though we can just easily make it "generic distance unit 1" if there are issues) and having a very small planet and a standard km unit could very well lead to being able to explore the planet, or at least a greater portion of it than we'd like, that way.

Other than that, death fully supported. Only visual though, so if your creature has other senses (heat, electricity, smell come to mind) the observer mode would actually be a bit of a step down.

Remind me again - what unlocks observer mode? Just trying to get an idea of how early on it would be...
Back to top Go down
Rilosi
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: death by assassination or just a tree fell one you   death by assassination or just a tree fell one you EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 3:51 pm

~sciocont wrote:
The Uteen wrote:

This could cause problems when you die as a solitary animal. Unless there is others of that species around, while if your a social, group creature it would take a very little toll, as you could inhabit another creature of the species.
Back to top Go down
Gorbachof
Newcomer
Gorbachof

PostSubject: Re: death by assassination or just a tree fell one you   death by assassination or just a tree fell one you EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 4:56 pm

Rilosi wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
The Uteen wrote:

This could cause problems when you die as a solitary animal. Unless there is others of that species around, while if your a social, group creature it would take a very little toll, as you could inhabit another creature of the species.
Prehaps there could be a list of suitable hosts (along with the limited observer mode).
Back to top Go down
andry796
Newcomer
andry796

PostSubject: Re: death by assassination or just a tree fell one you   death by assassination or just a tree fell one you EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 4:57 pm

We could just make that, when you die, you can choose the organism you would like to be in a range of 1 km, or you become the nearest organism in case of no-organisms in the area. Otherwise we could just use the random choice method unless your race discovers

1:some god tools that allows them to choice the new host upon death, such as a "reincarnation power".
2:some form of organized religion.

Anyway, other ways of "respawn" would make sense, since there are no men who can tell us what happens after death XD
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: death by assassination or just a tree fell one you   death by assassination or just a tree fell one you EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 5:56 pm

The Uteen wrote:

Uh, if memory serves then Observer Mode is unlocked from the beginning, no? And Strategy Mode is with communication? Has this changed?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: death by assassination or just a tree fell one you   death by assassination or just a tree fell one you EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 8:34 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
The Uteen wrote:

Uh, if memory serves then Observer Mode is unlocked from the beginning, no? And Strategy Mode is with communication? Has this changed?
There was talk of observer mode only being available with sattelite imaging, but I thought that was only unlimited planetary observer mode, not just observer mode itself.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: death by assassination or just a tree fell one you   death by assassination or just a tree fell one you EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 4:32 am

~sciocont wrote:
There was talk of observer mode only being available with sattelite imaging, but I thought that was only unlimited planetary observer mode, not just observer mode itself.
Well then i propose that Observer Mode be available from the start.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: death by assassination or just a tree fell one you   death by assassination or just a tree fell one you EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 11:14 am

US_of_Alaska wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Well then i propose that Observer Mode be available from the start.
Remember observer mode is like a god tool, but for seeing; allowing you see that there is a predator ready to ambush you further up the path. And its vulnerabilities. And the sun. Are you sure you want to give that sort of power straight away?

It seems a branch of the research tree might need chopping. Someone get a research axe.
Back to top Go down
Gorbachof
Newcomer
Gorbachof

PostSubject: Re: death by assassination or just a tree fell one you   death by assassination or just a tree fell one you EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 1:18 pm

What's the point of Observer mode (aside from being the almighty eye on the back of a U.S. doller bill)?
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: death by assassination or just a tree fell one you   death by assassination or just a tree fell one you EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 6:26 pm

I don't think you guys remember what Observer Mode is. It's tied to your species, for one. So you can't just go gallivanting around the world looking for dangers. You can only see what your controlled species/nation can see. Therefore, it's automatically opened up to larger areas when you get viewing technologies like satellites and Belgium.

As for cutting research, UTeen, i wrote the research tree. And nothing there even mentions Observer Mode.

Observer Mode is to allow for a player to watch their species without interaction. It is also the mode that people will use for Machinima. And, let's face it, it'd make a cool screensaver.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: death by assassination or just a tree fell one you   death by assassination or just a tree fell one you EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 10:59 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
I don't think you guys remember what Observer Mode is. It's tied to your species, for one. So you can't just go gallivanting around the world looking for dangers. You can only see what your controlled species/nation can see. Therefore, it's automatically opened up to larger areas when you get viewing technologies like satellites and Belgium.

As for cutting research, UTeen, i wrote the research tree. And nothing there even mentions Observer Mode.

Observer Mode is to allow for a player to watch their species without interaction. It is also the mode that people will use for Machinima. And, let's face it, it'd make a cool screensaver.
Agree
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: death by assassination or just a tree fell one you   death by assassination or just a tree fell one you EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 12:13 pm

Thirded. Limited observer mode should be pretty much instant, as the advantage there is no more than the advantage you have by being the player to begin with.

As far as unlimited, I think that there was an omniscience something in the god tools. That would be the mode in which you, as a creature, could spy on a butterfly on the other side of the world and still know the vital stats for the predator sneaking up behind you.
Back to top Go down
GasmaskCowboy

PostSubject: death-birth combo   death by assassination or just a tree fell one you EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 2:51 am

OK i'm straying from the debate about your observer mode stuff.So what if you gave birth as you died.So that the eggs/babies are born when (always) when you died and that's how you repopulate.This wouldn't be what happened for every animal but rather its a unique adaptation you'r species has.This would take away the observer mode from death but you would be able to basically continue what ever you were doing.This ability (of sorts) wouldn't always be something you could use though, as babies aren't born fertile.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: death by assassination or just a tree fell one you   death by assassination or just a tree fell one you Empty

Back to top Go down

death by assassination or just a tree fell one you
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next