Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Planetary Scales - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Planetary Scales - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Planetary Scales - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Planetary Scales - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Planetary Scales - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Planetary Scales - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Planetary Scales - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Planetary Scales - Page 2 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Planetary Scales - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Planetary Scales - Page 2 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Planetary Scales - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Planetary Scales - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Planetary Scales - Page 2 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Planetary Scales - Page 2 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Planetary Scales - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Planetary Scales - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Planetary Scales - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Planetary Scales - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Planetary Scales - Page 2 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Planetary Scales - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Planetary Scales

Go down 
+12
EvoSim
GamerXA
Mysterious_Calligrapher
tklarenb
roadkillguy
bill2505
Commander Keen
eumesmo
The Uteen
~sciocont
ido66667
Tenebrarum
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

Planetary Scales - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 6:08 pm

I've never heard of that game. Me and scio were discussing an maximum resolution of one quad per square meter.

I'd like to divide things up into grids on the planet. A grid space could have 2 properties. Its biome, and the nation that owns it. We were contemplating 1024x1024 grids for all 6 sides of the cube.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 7:26 pm

roadkillguy wrote:
I've never heard of that game. Me and scio were discussing an maximum resolution of one quad per square meter.

I'd like to divide things up into grids on the planet. A grid space could have 2 properties. Its biome, and the nation that owns it. We were contemplating 1024x1024 grids for all 6 sides of the cube.
Actually, I'd be fine with anything from 1 m2 to 9m2 for the size of the terrain tiles. (meaning they have side lengths from 1 to 3 meters)
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 3:38 pm

Haha wow I just said an maximum.

Even better. It's all relative to how small the objects on the planet are.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 11:02 pm

roadkillguy wrote:

Yeah, but we do need to discuss things in measurements, just so we can make sense of it all.

Ok, so earth's circumference is ~40,075 km

If we have each terrain tile be 1 meter, and we have 1024x1024x6 terrain tiles, the circumference of our planet will be ~6.5 km (6.43398 km to be exact)

if each terrain tile is 3m x 3m, and we have 1024x1024x6 terrain tiles, then the circumference is 19.301 km

if each terrain tile is 3m x 3m, and we have 2048x2048x6 terrain tiles, then the circumference is 38.603 km

That may be a feasible planet size.

Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 1:38 pm

~sciocont wrote:
roadkillguy wrote:

Yeah, but we do need to discuss things in measurements, just so we can make sense of it all.

Ok, so earth's circumference is ~40,075 km

If we have each terrain tile be 1 meter, and we have 1024x1024x6 terrain tiles, the circumference of our planet will be ~6.5 km (6.43398 km to be exact)

if each terrain tile is 3m x 3m, and we have 1024x1024x6 terrain tiles, then the circumference is 19.301 km

if each terrain tile is 3m x 3m, and we have 2048x2048x6 terrain tiles, then the circumference is 38.603 km

That may be a feasible planet size.

So what you're saying is... The planet could be the same size as Earth‽

How much data can be present in each terrain tile, and could a larger size be a problem to creatures only a few centimetres long? Also, how much hard disk would this take up? Questions aside, I was not expecting the possibility of planets of a realistic scale, this is incredible.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 3:25 pm

No, Uteen, notice how Scio used a comma in the first number and points in the latter two. In other words, 40000 km compared to 38 km.

If my maths aren't wrong, using one byte for each tile on the 38km planet would result in 200MB of data. Of course, that can be reduced a lot (probably even halved) by compressing it with something like zlib, but it's still a lot for mere 38km diameter, and we will certainly want more data per tile. Seems like now it's time to ask the Space Engine's developer.

Last time I checked on Outerra (an engine modelling real size Earth), the height data of Earth took 78GB of space, extremely compressed (about 180GB uncompressed), and that's with 78x78m grid captured by satellites - their trick is using fractal transforms to somehow make the terrain feel real even from a small animal's view. We might have to do something similar to that. I think the Space Engine already does use something like that.

PS: Roadkill, could you please check your PMs?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 6:56 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
No, Uteen, notice how Scio used a comma in the first number and points in the latter two. In other words, 40000 km compared to 38 km.

If my maths aren't wrong, using one byte for each tile on the 38km planet would result in 200MB of data. Of course, that can be reduced a lot (probably even halved) by compressing it with something like zlib, but it's still a lot for mere 38km diameter, and we will certainly want more data per tile. Seems like now it's time to ask the Space Engine's developer.

Last time I checked on Outerra (an engine modelling real size Earth), the height data of Earth took 78GB of space, extremely compressed (about 180GB uncompressed), and that's with 78x78m grid captured by satellites - their trick is using fractal transforms to somehow make the terrain feel real even from a small animal's view. We might have to do something similar to that. I think the Space Engine already does use something like that.

PS: Roadkill, could you please check your PMs?

Guys, I flubbed a radius. Here's the real values.

Spoiler:
In other words, every value I previously said for circumference is halved.
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 7:22 pm

Keep in mind, they wont be perfectly 3x3 meters due to the normalization of the cube.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 7:58 pm

roadkillguy wrote:
Keep in mind, they wont be perfectly 3x3 meters due to the normalization of the cube.
Yeah, hopefully everyone realizes that there will be warping and a bit of confusion around the corners.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 1:10 pm

Awesome÷1000÷2=Reality. Aw...

How much warping could we expect? Any noticeable amount? I didn't see any in Spore, and I think that used it. (correct me if I'm wrong, of course)
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 2:06 pm

Until I can reverse solve another formula, the image posted above is exactly it. It's still the fastest one by far.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 3:23 pm

Hold on, so what sort of surface area are we talking about for Earth-sized worlds then? I'm a little lost...
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 6:44 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Hold on, so what sort of surface area are we talking about for Earth-sized worlds then? I'm a little lost...
If we have each terrain tile be 1 meter, and we have 1024x1024x6 terrain tiles, the circumference of our planet will be ~3.25 km

if each terrain tile is 3m x 3m, and we have 1024x1024x6 terrain tiles, then the circumference is 9.65 km

if each terrain tile is 3m x 3m, and we have 2048x2048x6 terrain tiles, then the circumference is 19.3 km

The only way to keep a planet on a realistic detail level while adding size is adding faces to it, in essence, quadtreeing the cube again. However, quadtreeing only multiplies the size by 2, while it causes complexity to go up by a power of 2

Surface area for this:
if each terrain tile is 3m x 3m, and we have 2048x2048x6 terrain tiles, then the circumference is 19.3 km

surface area of this planet would be +/- 118.6 km[siup]2[/sup]

if we subdivided the cube again, the surface area would be about 474.36 km2

What does that mean? Our planet with a 4096x4096x6 grid and 3m terrain tiles as a cube is over twice the size of Brooklyn. It'a around the size of Brooklyn and queens combined. That might not seem like much, but that's more than half the size of New York City. I'd say that's extremely small, but more than big enough to explore.
Planetary Scales - Page 2 GoogleMapsplanetsizecomp
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 09, 2011 11:31 am

So, how does this compare to Space Engine? Worse? Better? Nonpareil? And speaking of which, how's the partnership with the maker feller going?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 09, 2011 1:33 pm

The Uteen wrote:
So, how does this compare to Space Engine? Worse? Better? Nonpareil? And speaking of which, how's the partnership with the maker feller going?
Hell help us with any questions we have. I don't know how it compares to his program, I don't have specs for it. I'll ask him.
Back to top Go down
tklarenb
Learner
tklarenb

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 09, 2011 2:17 pm

ido66667 wrote:
This can Help: http://forum.spore.com/jforum/posts/list/46894.page
I used the method described in that forum, and I've come to an estimate on the circumference of a Spore planet: roughly 2.2 km with a surface area of about 1.5 square km. This means, using scio's Brooklyn sized planet, Thrive planets would have a surface area 316.24 times larger than Spore planets, if I did the math right.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 09, 2011 2:38 pm

tklarenb wrote:
ido66667 wrote:
This can Help: http://forum.spore.com/jforum/posts/list/46894.page
I used the method described in that forum, and I've come to an estimate on the circumference of a Spore planet: roughly 2.2 km with a surface area of about 1.5 square km. This means, using scio's Brooklyn sized planet, Thrive planets would have a surface area 316.24 times larger than Spore planets, if I did the math right.
You did the math right. Well done. Our planet though, will be about .000000929 times the size of earth (in surface area)
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 09, 2011 4:23 pm

I can work with Brooklyn + Queens, but if possible I'd want to squeeze out a little more size. Remember that anything you come out with will have only 30% of it showing.

I'm thinking we may want to significantly reduce the number of planets in this case. And anyways, aren't rocky planets really rare irl?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 09, 2011 4:41 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
I can work with Brooklyn + Queens, but if possible I'd want to squeeze out a little more size. Remember that anything you come out with will have only 30% of it showing.

I'm thinking we may want to significantly reduce the number of planets in this case. And anyways, aren't rocky planets really rare irl?
Not really. We don't know much about percentages of planets. I'll research that.
Back to top Go down
tklarenb
Learner
tklarenb

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 09, 2011 4:45 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:

It's not really known if rocky planets are that rare. From the data we have, yes, they are, but that's only because larger planets are the easiest to find, and those are mostly gas giants.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 09, 2011 5:01 pm

Mmmm... Gotchya. Still, my points remain. I'd far rather have 50-100 really nice planets than 200+ teeny ones.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 09, 2011 5:15 pm

tklarenb wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:

It's not really known if rocky planets are that rare. From the data we have, yes, they are, but that's only because larger planets are the easiest to find, and those are mostly gas giants.
That's all I've found as well.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 11:35 pm

Calli is lost like a duck on a mountaintop.

I have an idea for the number of planets vs. Size of planets dilemma: most of the solar system is made up of gas giant planets, so if we were to have a few of those (decorative, not explorable - probably not even approachable) in the night sky, it would look like we had a more realiztic number of planets per solar system, but we wouldn't have to render or model them.

Out of the solar system's 8+Pluto planets, Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars are rocky. Saturn, Jupiter, Uranus and Neptune are gaseous. Pluto is too small to bother with exploring.

We could have 2 or 3 (or even one) explorable rocky planets per system. We could have maybe 1 in 10 (Huuuuge estimate and rounded way, way up in order to keep us from generating too many unusuable planets, feel free to do whatever you like to that number,) capable of supporting life.

So, if we had 20 solar systems, we've got to store 20-25 planets (or less: less is good, right?) and 2-3 of those would be playable.

And now back to discussing quadtrees which I am not allowed to decorate for Christmas.
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 11:57 pm

It might not be necessary to make Gas Giants unexplorable, all we would have to do is basically store a random seed in the Gas Giants data, along with the normal variables such as Distance from star and orbit. That way only minimal data is needed.

Then the Giant would be generated in not too much detail each time the player goes to the planet.

After all, I doubt many players will get too annoyed if the planet is a little bit different from the last time they were there.

Speaking of which, I don't really know much about Gas Giants but could the Gas composition determined by the distance from the star when it was formed.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 12:49 am

GamerXA wrote:
It might not be necessary to make Gas Giants unexplorable, all we would have to do is basically store a random seed in the Gas Giants data, along with the normal variables such as Distance from star and orbit. That way only minimal data is needed.

Then the Giant would be generated in not too much detail each time the player goes to the planet.

After all, I doubt many players will get too annoyed if the planet is a little bit different from the last time they were there.

Speaking of which, I don't really know much about Gas Giants but could the Gas composition determined by the distance from the star when it was formed.
It could, but gas giants tend to move about after they form, so we needn't simulate it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Planetary Scales
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next