Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Revolutionary Games Website's Thread

Go down 
+20
moopli
TheRabiesGuineaPig
Tarpy
Seregon
Im a Peanut
Nimbal
Thriving Cheese
RodGame
FunnyGames
Gawbad
Monstahart
WilliamstheJohn
untrustedlife
WJacobC
~sciocont
penumbra espinosa
Raptorstorm
Doggit
NickTheNick
Daniferrito
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Which visual style should the updated official website have?
Dark, spacey, contrast (current official website)
Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c88%Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c
 88% [ 30 ]
Light, vibrant, living (forum and WJacobC's prototype)
Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c12%Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c
 12% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 34

AuthorMessage
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Revolutionary Games Website's Thread   Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 EmptyMon May 06, 2013 9:54 am

WJacobC wrote:

Oliver, you may want to put Google Analytics on the website so we can track traffic. Here's the link.

Good idea.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Revolutionary Games Website's Thread   Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 EmptyMon May 06, 2013 10:29 am

Actually, I'll keep track of the analytics. If possible, just add this code to the site:
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
WJacobC
Outreach Team Lead
WJacobC

PostSubject: Re: Revolutionary Games Website's Thread   Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 EmptyMon May 06, 2013 10:56 am

Ok, ~scio, but I don't think you would want to give Oliver and I access to your Google account, and I'm sure we will want to see the analytics...
Back to top Go down
http://WJacobC.com
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Revolutionary Games Website's Thread   Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 EmptyMon May 06, 2013 11:21 am

WJacobC wrote:
Ok, ~scio, but I don't think you would want to give Oliver and I access to your Google account, and I'm sure we will want to see the analytics...
I'll post them regularly.
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: Revolutionary Games Website's Thread   Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 EmptyMon May 06, 2013 1:42 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Actually, I'll keep track of the analytics. If possible, just add this code to the site:
Spoiler:

I've already got an analytic tracking service on the website, and I'll show you a screenshot whenever I have time. I've been out almost all day today, so I haven't had enough time to update the site at all. I'm currently doing some school work, though I'll probably be finished in around an hour, when I'll finally update the site and post the analytics.

@WJacobC
Don't worry about not having time to do any work on the website. I myself seem to be a little swamped at the moment.

EDIT: Right, the website has been updated, although I haven't added the code you specified yet. I'll add that to the file now so I don't forget next time I update it. However, I did have a look at the analytics, and so far for May I have had 64 referrals from ModDB, 17 from IndieDB (which is basically a duplicate of ModDB), 8 from Youtube and 3 from Facebook, with several others from direct referral or search engines.
www.revolutionarygamesstudio.com
Back to top Go down
http://oliverlugg.com/
Nimbal
Programming Team lead

PostSubject: Re: Revolutionary Games Website's Thread   Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 10:51 am

I like the overall look, but some suggestions, if I may:

• The top of the page looks really crammed with the big "Thrive", the two logos and especially the social media links. I would remove either the big "Thrive" or the Thrive logo, putting the survivor at the top left. The logo for Revolutionary Games goes right and the social media links... I dunno, I've never used those things. Maybe make them smaller and put them centered below the navigation area? Or the lower left?
  • Why are there two facebook links?
  • Centered text is fine for single lines, but a no-no for multi line paragraphs. This affects the main page and the news page.
  • In the navigation area, only "Home" shows the text when it's selected. It's a little disorienting when you are on the news page, but "News" is nowhere to be found in the navigation. Just a blank shard.
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: Revolutionary Games Website's Thread   Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 10:58 am

Nimbal wrote:
I like the overall look, but some suggestions, if I may:

• The top of the page looks really crammed with the big "Thrive", the two logos and especially the social media links. I would remove either the big "Thrive" or the Thrive logo, putting the survivor at the top left. The logo for Revolutionary Games goes right and the social media links... I dunno, I've never used those things. Maybe make them smaller and put them centered below the navigation area? Or the lower left?
  • Why are there two facebook links?
  • Centered text is fine for single lines, but a no-no for multi line paragraphs. This affects the main page and the news page.
  • In the navigation area, only "Home" shows the text when it's selected. It's a little disorienting when you are on the news page, but "News" is nowhere to be found in the navigation. Just a blank shard.

1. That is a bit of a problem. I'll change it next update.
2. I wondered whether I should remove the second Facebook link (the one in the header itself) before, although ~scio made the header image and will therefore have to change it to link to something else unless we want it to look odd, which it does with the Facebook link removed.
3. I'll make sure I change that, too.
4. Again, ~scio will have to change his header design in order to do this. The page title is displayed underneath the header for each page, but yes, it is a little disorientating not to see it in the header itself.
Back to top Go down
Nimbal
Programming Team lead

PostSubject: Re: Revolutionary Games Website's Thread   Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 11:11 am

The Facebook link in the header image could link to a social media page that contains the links to Twitter, Facebook and so on. That would greatly reduce their visibility, though, and only users that purposefully seek them out will actually click them, kind of defeating their purpose.

Maybe some kind of "Get Involved" page? Or a page for planned features?
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

PostSubject: Re: Revolutionary Games Website's Thread   Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 11:39 am

Or maybe a 'cool features' page, as you mentioned in another thread?

I've been experimenting with the header a little and have found that if I delete the green-shadowed title, leaving only the logo, the text is too small compared to everything else on the page. The logo is, however, an integral part of the game, so we should probably keep it in somewhere, maybe just not the header.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Revolutionary Games Website's Thread   Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 5:53 pm

What would be a good link in place of the facebook icon?
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Revolutionary Games Website's Thread   Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 EmptyThu May 09, 2013 1:57 am

Maybe ,,planned features''?
It wouldnt be to hard to do list of that, if you decide.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Revolutionary Games Website's Thread   Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 EmptyThu May 09, 2013 10:01 pm

I would be willing to do that. Other suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

PostSubject: Re: Revolutionary Games Website's Thread   Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 EmptyFri May 10, 2013 2:01 pm

~sciocont wrote:
I would be willing to do that. Other suggestions?

I vote for a list of planned features for Thrive as well. Providing they are explained well, they should generate a lot more interest for anyone who has arrived on the site and wants to know more.
Back to top Go down
Im a Peanut
Newcomer
Im a Peanut

PostSubject: Re: Revolutionary Games Website's Thread   Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 EmptySun May 12, 2013 9:51 am

I can translate the website to portuguese
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Revolutionary Games Website's Thread   Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 EmptySun May 12, 2013 11:06 am

I agree with a planed features page.

Concerning the post before me, what about translations? Its not a big site, so i'm sure that if you allowed for different languages, in a week you would have it translated to more than a dozen languages.
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

PostSubject: Re: Revolutionary Games Website's Thread   Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 EmptySun May 12, 2013 11:24 am

Most of it's already been translated into Italian courtesy of Doggit, and I've had a crack at translating some to French. Once we have ExpressionEngine up and running we'll implement all the translations. If anyone else wants to translate anything send me a message and I'll give you something to work on.

Last edited by Oliveriver on Mon May 20, 2013 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Revolutionary Games Website's Thread   Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 EmptyMon May 20, 2013 6:05 am

When is next update coming?
I have been working on planed features list a little bit.
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

PostSubject: Re: Revolutionary Games Website's Thread   Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 EmptyMon May 20, 2013 10:52 am

I was going to do an update today, but if you're still working on a planned features page I'll wait until it's completed and add everything at once.
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Revolutionary Games Website's Thread   Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 EmptyMon May 20, 2013 11:48 am

Heres some basic stuff what i have listed:
Spoiler:

Thats not all of course... but its hard listing features of various stages separatedly. Il work on 'em later.

If anybody did do features for stages already, please post it here. i will put them together.

Edit:

More stuff:
Spoiler:

Thats most of microbe stage features.
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

PostSubject: Re: Revolutionary Games Website's Thread   Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 1:46 pm

I've just slightly updated the website along with uploading the podcast to it (though I'm not sure how to access the podcast without being logged into the account): www.revolutionarygamesstudio.com

We've been talking recently about Email, and I've found I can make an Email address @revolutionarygamesstudio.com, but it can only be accessed via the Bluehost account. One way around this would be to forward all mail to another Email address, but this defeats the point of having a new Email address in the first place. Any mail sent to thrive@revolutionarygamesstudio.com (which I haven't yet made, so don't click it) would be redirected to another account on something like Gmail, but as far as I know it would not be possible to send anything back with the @revolutionarygamesstudio.com address without having the Bluehost login. The Bluehost account currently used for the website is actually part of another account made by another member of my family to host their website. This saves on costs, but would cripple the server should a huge influx arrive. It also means that everything that is currently done with the Thrive website is done under that account.

If we want to make an @revolutionarygamesstudio.com Email address we could set up another server entirely and transfer the domain name and files. This will cost quite a bit more, but since fans really want to donate something, the money won't be a problem. This would alleviate many of the current problems (like me being the only one who can change the website, the Email conundrum and possible influxes crippling an unrelated website), but I'm not sure whether we should go ahead with it. As Jacob mentioned in the podcast, he'll have ExpressionEngine ready in a month or two, so that might be a good time to get a new hosting account.

As you can see, this is quite a complicated problem. For now, I think it's best to stick to the current Thrive Email address unless someone can think of a way round all this.
Back to top Go down
Seregon
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Revolutionary Games Website's Thread   Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 3:32 pm

Actually, you can send e-mail from a gmail account pretending to come from a different address, I use this, along with forwarding, to manage about 5 different e-mail accounts from one place. In gmail, go to settings->accounts->send mail as->add another email address. It'll send an e-mail to the thrive account, with a link you need to click on to confirm you own the account.
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

PostSubject: Re: Revolutionary Games Website's Thread   Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 1:29 pm

Thanks for that, Seregon.

I've created a Thrive Email: thrive@revolutionarygamesstudio.com

To view its Emails and send Emails without having to login via Bluehost, you can use the Gmail account which I've created: revolutionarygamesstudio@gmail.com

I'm just about to send a message to several major members with the password for the Gmail account - all mail sent to thrive@revolutionarygamesstudio.com will be copied and sent to revolutionarygamesstudio@gmail.com. Through the latter you can send Emails pretending to be the former.
Back to top Go down
WJacobC
Outreach Team Lead
WJacobC

PostSubject: Re: Revolutionary Games Website's Thread   Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 10:28 am

Ok everyone, it's time to get back into this. With Oliver as Music Co-Lead, most of the website development will be handled by me (but Oliver will certainly be able to work on it if he likes). Therefore, I've begun to develop the new, unified, ExpressionEngine capable website. I wish to let it be up to you, the users, how the style is. We currently have Oliver's darker, more spacy theme, and mine, which looks more like the forum. I want to let the other members decide. Whichever theme we go with will still have the framework features of mine (the navbar at the top, etc.)

So, what do you all think?
Back to top Go down
http://WJacobC.com
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Revolutionary Games Website's Thread   Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 12:35 pm

Good to see work starting again.

I like the dark space theme.
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

PostSubject: Re: Revolutionary Games Website's Thread   Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 12:58 pm

So since it's been a LONG time since any updates have been made to the website, I went ahead and ensured the current version was up-to-date: http://revolutionarygamesstudio.com/

Changes include:

• A full update of the news list to include more recent posts on ModDB and the Devblog
  • A large revamp of the Our Team page to keep it cleaner
  • Removed links to the Music Bundle (which is in reality mostly fraudulent music) and the microbe prototype (for which the link no longer works anyway)
  • Changed the copyright date to 2014
  • Linked the YouTube videos to music created by our own composers, specifically that included in the Microbe Stage (for some reason, embedding the videos themselves wasn't working anymore, so I added links instead)

The domain renewal is also fast approaching, so I'd appreciate it if we could set up a specialised Thrive server which all major members can access (not just me) and transfer the domain. It could be used as a more reliable place to store future releases, considering the problems with downloads we had last time, as well as hosting the updated version of the website.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Revolutionary Games Website's Thread   Revolutionary Games Website's Thread - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Revolutionary Games Website's Thread
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next