Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Treaty Editor - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Treaty Editor - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Treaty Editor - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Treaty Editor - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Treaty Editor - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Treaty Editor - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Treaty Editor - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Treaty Editor - Page 2 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Treaty Editor - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Treaty Editor - Page 2 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Treaty Editor - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Treaty Editor - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Treaty Editor - Page 2 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Treaty Editor - Page 2 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Treaty Editor - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Treaty Editor - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Treaty Editor - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Treaty Editor - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Treaty Editor - Page 2 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Treaty Editor - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Treaty Editor

Go down 
+9
gdt1320
Mouthwash
untrustedlife
WJacobC
RodGame
Daniferrito
FunnyGames
~sciocont
NickTheNick
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

Treaty Editor - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Treaty Editor   Treaty Editor - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 12:30 am

Again, guys, don't get into these specifics yet, first we need to settle the basic equations.

EDIT: Keep your points in mind though for when we are done.
Back to top Go down
GmansWatching
Newcomer
GmansWatching

PostSubject: Re: Treaty Editor   Treaty Editor - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 9:41 pm

Okay from looking throughout this thread I'm seeing the original issue of mis-communications. Now an idea came up of using the tech tree with this. Using the tech to develop a type of multi-lingual system. Where you manage to make your species research the other species language and eventually adopt it as a secondary, third, etc language.

Now as for the coding, math and such. I'm dead there. Heh
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Treaty Editor   Treaty Editor - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 9:45 pm

Interesting idea G-Man, but again, this is the last warning, please keep this thread only for discussing the algorithm for calculating the effect of influence, and then we can open it up to conceptual stuff later. Any more OT posts will be deleted. I will say specifically when we can start going to the conceptual discussion.
Back to top Go down
gdt1320
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Treaty Editor   Treaty Editor - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 20, 2013 4:00 pm

Nick,

I just noticed where my equation diverged from yours.
I'm considering the influence to be a rating of the relationship between two civilizations. The model you're looking for (from what I can tell) has influence as an individual parameter of each civilization.

I think that in order to get better behavior, we're going to have to find a way to use the best of both, that also address some of the issues of using each individually.

Pros and Cons of each method:

So new variables:
R_ik: quantification of relationship between two civilizations i and k. Initially always should start at 0. Increases with friendly action, decreases with hostile ones.

I_i: A measure of the potential influence of civilization i. This would probably be based on technology or the tech tree progression. (always positive)

D: Numerical representation of the demands of each treaty. Calculated using the method Daniferrito mentioned.

Sigma: Threshold value for AI accepting a treaty.

Expression: (R_ik + (I_ i -I_ k ))-D > sigma.

My Thought process for developing that expression:

On determining how to calculate all the parameters:

Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Treaty Editor   Treaty Editor - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 20, 2013 6:40 pm

It all sounds good to me. It looks like exactly what I envisioned but with different variables.

So, like you said, we need to assign weights to all the possible offers. Influence is based off of things like the percentage of your population that are Aristocrats, Buildings, Cultural Arts, and Stability (aka distress like you mentioned), Technologies, and the strength of your military and economy.

Relations are altered whenever an event takes place between two nations that would cause a change in relations. Relations also gradually move towards zero as time passes by. Some examples of cases that would decrease relations are:

• Moving units into their land without permission
  • Sending them an insult
  • Attacking their friend
Relations go up in cases like:

• You both accept some beneficial diplomatic terms, such as trade, open borders, map sharing
  • You ally together
  • You send them a gift
Relations can also be affected by the traits of your leaders, and the traits of religions in your countries.

All these situations need to be identified and quantified, something I'm working on.
Back to top Go down
gdt1320
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Treaty Editor   Treaty Editor - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 8:20 pm

NickTheNick wrote:
It all sounds good to me. It looks like exactly what I envisioned but with different variables.
Yay!

NickTheNick wrote:

So, like you said, we need to assign weights to all the possible offers. Influence is based off of things like the percentage of your population that are Aristocrats, Buildings, Cultural Arts, and Stability (aka distress like you mentioned), Technologies, and the strength of your military and economy.

Relations are altered whenever an event takes place between two nations that would cause a change in relations. Relations also gradually move towards zero as time passes by. Some examples of cases that would decrease relations are:

• Moving units into their land without permission
  • Sending them an insult
  • Attacking their friend
Relations go up in cases like:

• You both accept some beneficial diplomatic terms, such as trade, open borders, map sharing
  • You ally together
  • You send them a gift
Relations can also be affected by the traits of your leaders, and the traits of religions in your countries.

All these situations need to be identified and quantified, something I'm working on.

Ok from what I can think of, actions that cause changes in relations can be brought about by three main categories

• "Verbal" Contact I.E. sending gifts, declaring war, creating an alliance, trading, etc. Basically things that don't need to be "detected" by the computer. (Basically change can be associated at the click of "send insult", or "trade", or <insert action here>
  • Physical Contact. Invading their space, attacking them, attacking their allies, attacking their enemies.
  • Intention Response. Responding to their actions in a positive manner. I.E. you might "accidentally" invade their lands, they go hostile, you retreat without harming them. They might "forgive" you're unintentional transgression.

Those are basically listed in easiest to deal with, to difficult, but I don't think any of them should be to bad. What are you thinking of so far for identifying and quantifying interactions?
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Treaty Editor   Treaty Editor - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 8:39 pm

The whole list of possible terms in the OP is basically the same as the list of possible diplomatic interactions, with maybe a few cut out for the sake of less strategy-oriented players.

As for the physical contacts, I wouldnt imagine there would be too many of them, and so we should try to list them all here now. I'll do negative effects.

Actions marked with "--" means greater reduction of relations than just "-".
- Moving non-military units into their territory without Open Borders
-- Moving military units into their territory without Military Access
-- Building in their territory without Construction Rights
- Adopting a state religion different then theirs
- Adopting a government different then theirs
-- Killing their units or destroying their buildings
-- Killing units or destroying buildings of their ally

That's all I can think of right now.
Back to top Go down
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: Treaty Editor   Treaty Editor - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 2:17 am

NickTheNick wrote:
etc.
Actions marked with "--" means greater reduction of relations than just "-".
- Adopting a state religion different then theirs but if their religion is relativly friendly to other religions?, if you know what I mean,
- Adopting a government different then theirs kinda same as above,
etc.
Back to top Go down
http://thrive-game.deviantart.com/
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Treaty Editor   Treaty Editor - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 2:30 am

It doesnt matter. That creation of a common difference is still there. Plus, the pacifism and aggressiveness of religions affect relations separately.
Back to top Go down
Alex J G
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Treaty Editor   Treaty Editor - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 22, 2014 6:41 pm

I have a few suggestions for additional offers/demands that can be added to the treaty editor:

Tolerate religion: asks them to tolerate a religious group
End toleration of religion
Persecute religion: like the above but more extreme
Raise tariff with third party: asks them to erect a tariff barrier with another country
Embargo third party
Structural adjustment: changes domestic economic policies
Limit on [unit name]: places a limit on a type of military unit that a nation can build
Non-aggression treaty
Non-aggression against a third party
Grant independence: releases a country
Guarantee independence
Guarantee independence of third party
Demilitarise region: places a limit/outright bans military units from entering a region, even if the country owns it (possibly include exceptions for uprisings).
Back to top Go down
amymist
Newcomer
amymist

PostSubject: Re: Treaty Editor   Treaty Editor - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 22, 2014 10:08 pm

Tolerating/Not tolerating religion feels a bit odd to me? Like having it on a treaty doesn't make a whole lot of sense, because it would be asking a government to change their outlook. Like if you have someone who hates a specific religion with a burning passion, offering them something, no matter how nice it is probably won't actually change their outlook.

Something like ban/unban/convert might work a little better because it sounds more like it deals with laws then the specific views of an individual.
Back to top Go down
Alex J G
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Treaty Editor   Treaty Editor - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 23, 2014 1:28 am

In terms of toleration, I mean tolerate in a legal sense, as in not actively persecute. I was kind of going on Europa Universalis 3 which has a system where different religions are more or less tolerated than others.

I was actually basing that one on historical precedence. During the Wars of Religion between Protestants and Catholics in Europe the principle of legal toleration began to develop as a compromise when rulers lacked the ability to completely eliminate what they considered heresy within their borders. Sometimes peace treaties included demands that the parties tolerate the other religion. An example of this is the Peace of Augsburg, which established the mutual toleration of Catholicism and Lutheranism across the Holy Roman Empire as a whole (although individual states within it could be less tolerant). Something similar would be the Ottoman Capitulations which were agreements that guaranteed legal protections for the subjects of certain European kingdoms within the borders of the Ottoman Empire, including religious freedoms.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Treaty Editor   Treaty Editor - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Treaty Editor
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2