Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Go down 
+102
cyborghyena
The Creator
Halowraith1
Narstak
molden
amymist
NarotizaSquared
Aquos4
Gyrukilo
JackTheBlackWolf
Mazzy_M
Xazo-Tak
Epickitty
Rorsten594
pensist
MirrorMonkey2
timetraveler
jewelofleo
Falthron
Psych0Ch3f
Quasar
Armok: God of Blood
King Plorpadeus Ex
Lightning_Scarz
SuperLala
LegoHoss
Gecko
Tanglekat33
EnergyKnife
HariboTer
the froggy ninja
crovea
Linker90X
EVanimations
Evol4fire
TriggzSP
ByterranEmpire
Totemaster
Exploronaut
Jeklig
NuklearSerpent
masternetra
spacetime_dinosaur
Y. Guillemot
ThePoisonchocolate
leila777
ccarriel
Invader
ThreeCubed
meldebious
PropTheRedstoner
Glow Cloud
Seregon
Mouthwash
Captain Mcderp
IAMBEOWULF
Atrox
Doggit
Dalroc
SchrodingersKitty
alonerhapsody
Cellular Dinosaur
Silver Sterling
Spacer
Synpho Death
Raptorstorm
Zeyrock
Orygandian2
AwesomeSiebren
TheFellowWithTheHat
penumbra espinosa
TheChubbyChihuahua
Shamanic W0lf
PortalFan1000
NikolaAnicic007
PerfectOrganismil
Inca
MitochondriaBox
DeanDactyl
Moterhead97
TheSmart_1
Oliveriver
ethroptur
Narnobie123
dinoman9877
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Jimexmore
WJacobC
Mixotroph
Madnesia19
Omnomnomable
Tritium
Daniferrito
~sciocont
Immortal_Dragon
untrustedlife
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Thriving Cheese
Tarpy
M3rox
NickTheNick
WilliamstheJohn
106 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
dinoman9877
Newcomer
dinoman9877

Location : The Jurassic Period, fighting an allosaurus using a spear.

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 1:47 am

Yet I've not seen one post on it. Interesting.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 2:43 am

There's no need for sarcasm. Even if you didn't know it had been discussed before, its better to start here because if it has, youll find out and get the answer without taking a whole thread. Doing this greatly helps to deal with both the number of threads on the forum and the repetition of discussion.
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 8:07 am

Now this has got me thinking, everyone knows the angler fish, the big fish from Finding Nemo with the lights and the huge teeth. That is only the female of the species, the male is many times smaller than her and has no digestive system, and when males are born, they are automatically searching for the nearest female. When he finds her, he latches on with his teeth, and eventually dissolves until he is no more than a bump of reproductive material on the female's side, ready to fertilize her eggs.

What I'm wondering is, can a relationship like this exist in Thrive?
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 2:06 pm

dinoman9877 wrote:
Yet I've not seen one post on it. Interesting.

That's because it came up as a subtopic on another, massive thread. I believe the official consensus was that we'd like to have it, but don't have any concrete idea of how to implement it until we fix our concept for resources. You've just gotten yourself assigned to remembering to bring it up again after we've done that.

Please remember that we speak a belgiumming ton of languages, but that we do not have a dedicated sarcasm and irony translation team.

Quote :
Now this has got me thinking, everyone knows the angler fish, the big fish from Finding Nemo with the lights and the huge teeth. That is only the female of the species, the male is many times smaller than her and has no digestive system, and when males are born, they are automatically searching for the nearest female. When he finds her, he latches on with his teeth, and eventually dissolves until he is no more than a bump of reproductive material on the female's side, ready to fertilize her eggs.

What I'm wondering is, can a relationship like this exist in Thrive?
That's also something that has been brought up, is highly desirable, and so far mostly unplanned-for. If you can find a thread germane to the topic, I vote that we resurrect it to give all the ideas people something to chew over while we do organizing stuff.
Back to top Go down
Shamanic W0lf
Newcomer
Shamanic W0lf

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 11:14 pm

Dinoman and Immortal_Dragon do raise some interesting subjects, but my question is how could the whole angler fish or parasite be implemented in the game as both either an AI or actual play style? The other options could be fairly easy to use in a game, watch carnivores kill something and then jump in once they leave, but the parasite and mutualism factor stumps me. Either the character will have to be very small, in a big world, or they would have to again, be small and ride a larger animal where ever it goes...

A bit of clarity could help because me and Dragon here are confused.

Btw, awesome suggestion Dinoman, but to me, it seems much larger then we could expect. Programming wise...
Back to top Go down
PortalFan1000
Learner
PortalFan1000

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 11:54 pm

I imagine that parasitism would not be as hard to implement as it may seem like, but mutualism would be much harder. To me, having a relationship with a specific species would be very hard. How would you interact, besides having a painfully cutesy dance-off. Would you provide protection? Food? Mate attraction? Territory marking?
Back to top Go down
Jimexmore
Newcomer
Jimexmore

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 EmptySun Jul 21, 2013 12:22 am

PortalFan1000 wrote:
I imagine that parasitism would not be as hard to implement as it may seem like, but mutualism would be much harder. To me, having a relationship with a specific species would be very hard. How would you interact, besides having a painfully cutesy dance-off. Would you provide protection? Food? Mate attraction? Territory marking?
I want to live inside my host though and control like wasp steer into water then burst
Back to top Go down
dinoman9877
Newcomer
dinoman9877

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 EmptySun Jul 21, 2013 4:18 am

And now another thing I want to bring up. Vehicles for the Industrial Stage. Have they even been mentioned yet? I have a small list of questions here that I thought up recently.

1. Can we even create the vehicles our species will ride into war?

2. Are we restricted to only a small way of determining movement for our vehicles? For instance, here on Earth, plains have been made to resemble birds, but use jet propulsion because the material doesn't...bend well...Uh...Yeah. But on another planet, it may be more more efficient to adopt a form of movement for air bound vehicles that would use wings like that of a flying animal, if the species were able to find a way to minimize drag and stress put on the machinery during take-off, flight, or landing, and could then adapt it to make sudden twists, turns, and other crazy movements used in aerial combat, then it would work out well. Would such a vehicle be possible to make in Thrive?

3. Walking vehicles. Spore had the possibility, but it was aesthetic, but in Star Wars, they were a blessing and a curse. They could overlook the whole battlefield and thus shoot down on enemies below...But if something went wrong, they would just topple. Will Thrive have it too?

4. Aerial combat is a fickle thing. In the organism stage, it's basically whoever can make one not fly and avoid being torn into at the same time, but they can go through physical contact. In a vehicle, however, going at high speed, through the air, with combustible parts lining the flyer. In Earth, when one plane rams into another. It doesn't go well for either of them. In Thrive, I would hope this would be no different, which would make aerial combat a haphazard throng of twists, turns, and loops, akin to dogfighting on Earth today. How will this be worked out?
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 EmptySun Jul 21, 2013 6:27 am

1.  Yes
  2. Even if you are on another planet, i dont think it will happen. Moving joints are a nightmare for any engineer, no matter what planet are you in.
  3. Again, moving parts are hard for engineering, but this has a reason of being. While wheels are easy to design, the terrain they can traverse is limited, while walkers can go through pretty much every kind of terrain. EEUU military is working on such vehicles ATM (althrough they use them to carry suplies through rough terrain)
  4. Yes. Making both vehicles explode when they crash is simple.
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 EmptySun Jul 21, 2013 8:31 am

Well, there's a reason parasites are smaller than their hosts in nature. It makes them less noticeable, so they can be more successful in attaching without being knocked off, and so that they can leave the host with more to feed off of later.

But things like mutualism would be harder to implement, because these require interactions that benefit both species. Look at the birds that ride on giraffes and other animals in Africa, the birds clean the parasites from the larger animals, they get to stay healthy, and the birds get a free meal and roost. This seems to me that mutualism works best when there is a big difference in sizes between the species.

But of course this being Thrive the player could be on either side of the relationship, they wouldn't be relegated to being the small one.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 EmptySun Jul 21, 2013 10:42 am

Immortal_Dragon wrote:
Well, there's a reason parasites are smaller than their hosts in nature. It makes them less noticeable, so they can be more successful in attaching without being knocked off, and so that they can leave the host with more to feed off of later.

But things like mutualism would be harder to implement, because these require interactions that benefit both species. Look at the birds that ride on giraffes and other animals in Africa, the birds clean the parasites from the larger animals, they get to stay healthy, and the birds get a free meal and roost. This seems to me that mutualism works best when there is a big difference in sizes between the species.

But of course this being Thrive the player could be on either side of the relationship, they wouldn't be relegated to being the small one.

Niches seem like the best way to do this, to my mind. A sufficiently diverse ecosystem which has creatures vulnerable to, say, parasites, could open up a niche for a "cleaner" or "doctor" species, which consume those parasites, getting food and providing a tangible health benefit to the other organism. Auto-evo should nudge the two species into letting each other hang around.

Another good example would be for one creature to produce a resource (whether it be dung, aphid sap, anemone poison,) that another creature would be able to utilize. If the resource is crucial enough, the idea would be that there is a survival benefit to the harvesting organism in areas where the population of the creating organism were high enough, and this should, if we program right, prompt the harvester to defend their flocks, as it were. That's my understanding of where we left the plan, anyway.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 EmptySun Jul 21, 2013 6:03 pm

I remember I read a thread on this a while back, but now I cannot seem to find it. How will the scale of time work in Thrive? For example, a day in Minecraft is 12 minutes. How many minutes, or hours, would a day in Thrive be? How many game time hours are expected to be in each stage? How many days will be in a year? Was it 12?

These things are important, especially since right now I'm working on modelling the Research Web to last for the duration of each stage appropriately.
Back to top Go down
Tritium
Newcomer
Tritium

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 EmptySun Jul 21, 2013 9:01 pm

Well that is a nice question, if the solar system is different for each game then these parameters should also differ. That was on my mind lately when reading through the opening scene thread everyone is saying something about big bang then forming here and there and then zooming on the planet but since it is a different place every time the intro clip should be zooming to a different planet and this means that the game engine should be far enough to handle space objects.
OffTopic: So i've got too much free time lately and i'm spending it all doing nothing so i was thinking of doing some kind of a trailer for the microbe stage, any ideas on a scenario or something?
Back to top Go down
TheChubbyChihuahua
Newcomer
TheChubbyChihuahua

PostSubject: Adrenaline   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 7:30 am

Has anything like adrenaline been discussed yet? Like something that would increase your organism's physical abilities in certain scenarios (being chased, chasing, fighting, etc.)?
Back to top Go down
Tarpy
Strategy Team Lead
Tarpy

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 8:08 am

TheChubbyChihuahua wrote:
Has anything like adrenaline been discussed yet? Like something that would increase your organism's physical abilities in certain scenarios (being chased, chasing, fighting, etc.)?
Agents, I think
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 11:32 am

What about the different grips for melee weapons, some are held in the reverse, while some like nightsticks are held parallel to the wielder's arm, would that just be a FP or something that can be tagged in the TE?

And other types of exotic weapons, such as staves with blades on both ends, or even like the weapons wielded by Klingons in Star Trek, how would those be handled?
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 8:48 pm

You don't need different Handles for that. Part of the description of a handle is that you define how it is held. To have a stave with a blade on both ends, you just place two blades on the handle. They don't need a separate system to handle (no pun intended) them.
Back to top Go down
dinoman9877
Newcomer
dinoman9877

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 6:01 pm

I have yet another point to bring up. Hunting. In nature, most predators go without a kill more often that they make a kill. In Thrive, this should be no different. A hunt can fail for multiple reasons, and I think these should be taken into account.

The most common source of failure is just bad planning or starting the hunt at the wrong moment. A chasing lion will drive prey into a hiding lion, but if the prey go somewhere the lions don't want them to, or the prey catch wind of the other lion, it's very possible they can get away without much trouble. Just as well, if a cheetah charges at an antelope herd while an antelope is looking directly at it, the alarm goes up sooner than it would if all the antelope were grazing, and the cheetah is less likely to catch food. It should be the same in Thrive.

Another possibility of failure is the weather. Just the wind alone can determine how close a predator can get. A predator always wants to be upwind so that the prey can't smell them. A wind direction factor would be interesting in Thrive. Another problem with hunts is when the rain comes around. Antelopes turn their backs to the rain when it comes down, making it easy for a predator to sneak up from behind. However, both predator and prey have horrible traction on muddy ground, making high speed chases dangerous, and a struggle even more so. More than likely, it would be easier to wait for a drier day.

Another problem is the death struggle. Many prey animals don't fancy being torn open and eaten, and would rather go out kicking than let the predators have their way with its bowels. Predators take a risk of injury when the feet and horns start flying, and a good kick in the head or leg will more than likely risk the predator's life as a whole, being unable to hunt or pay attention from a possible brain injury. I'd actually like to see a risk of injury in trying to bring down prey, since everything is based on the functionality of the body and organs, rather than a health point system.

One final problem is the problem of going after a baby. Lions actively hunt buffalo and take great risk in targeting an adult, but they are asking for it when they go for a baby. Many species of animal are fiercely protective of their young, and buffalo are a prime example. They are unlikely to abandon a calf and are more likely to charge and scare off the lions. (Look at the Battle at Kruger on Youtube. Buffalos went up against lions AND crocodiles to save a calf) In Thrive, with certain species built like a buffalo: large, strong, and aggressive, it would be nice to see them rush to the aid of a young one in trouble, perhaps something that could be edited in the behavior editor if that is what you want your species to do.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 8:26 pm

dinoman9877 wrote:
The most common source of failure is just bad planning or starting the hunt at the wrong moment. A chasing lion will drive prey into a hiding lion, but if the prey go somewhere the lions don't want them to, or the prey catch wind of the other lion, it's very possible they can get away without much trouble. Just as well, if a cheetah charges at an antelope herd while an antelope is looking directly at it, the alarm goes up sooner than it would if all the antelope were grazing, and the cheetah is less likely to catch food. It should be the same in Thrive.

This will be part of an organism's AI.

dinoman9877 wrote:
Another possibility of failure is the weather. Just the wind alone can determine how close a predator can get. A predator always wants to be upwind so that the prey can't smell them. A wind direction factor would be interesting in Thrive. Another problem with hunts is when the rain comes around. Antelopes turn their backs to the rain when it comes down, making it easy for a predator to sneak up from behind. However, both predator and prey have horrible traction on muddy ground, making high speed chases dangerous, and a struggle even more so. More than likely, it would be easier to wait for a drier day.

I don't think we will have a dynamic system keeping track of air flow and scent wafting.

dinoman9877 wrote:
Another problem is the death struggle. Many prey animals don't fancy being torn open and eaten, and would rather go out kicking than let the predators have their way with its bowels. Predators take a risk of injury when the feet and horns start flying, and a good kick in the head or leg will more than likely risk the predator's life as a whole, being unable to hunt or pay attention from a possible brain injury. I'd actually like to see a risk of injury in trying to bring down prey, since everything is based on the functionality of the body and organs, rather than a health point system.

There is a health point system, but it is separated for each body part or organ system, whereas in the Strategy Mode all units will have their health apply uniformly across their body.

dinoman9877 wrote:
One final problem is the problem of going after a baby. Lions actively hunt buffalo and take great risk in targeting an adult, but they are asking for it when they go for a baby. Many species of animal are fiercely protective of their young, and buffalo are a prime example. They are unlikely to abandon a calf and are more likely to charge and scare off the lions. (Look at the Battle at Kruger on Youtube. Buffalos went up against lions AND crocodiles to save a calf) In Thrive, with certain species built like a buffalo: large, strong, and aggressive, it would be nice to see them rush to the aid of a young one in trouble, perhaps something that could be edited in the behavior editor if that is what you want your species to do.

That will be a part of the Behaviour Editor, I'm mostly sure.
Back to top Go down
DeanDactyl
Newcomer
DeanDactyl

PostSubject: Sorry... :(   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 12:23 pm

Guy, sorry if this is off-topic, but I have some good ideas for Pos-Ascension powers (sandbox is one of my favorite things in gaming and I have a lot of imagination... ) and I don't know where to post them... :| 
Also, sorry if I'm not working, it's because of the Summer Holidays (the time of the year that a kid has to be a kid!)...
Back to top Go down
Inca
Regular
Inca

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 3:36 pm

Back to top Go down
http://soundcloud.com/inca_uk
PortalFan1000
Learner
PortalFan1000

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 6:46 pm

I have a idea concerning ascension. How about when your race has ascended-remember in minecraft, when you kill the enderdragon and leave the end, the text scroll? I think that, when your species ascends, that happens. You tell them that you created them, that they are just in a game, etc. I just thought that would be neat.
Back to top Go down
Inca
Regular
Inca

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 6:50 pm

Alternatively that might be a place to put the credits, like just the credits of main developers, not the entire forum member list of contributors and then let the player continue in god mode which is sort of a more open ended epilogue where the player can do anything.

This sort of thing would help the ascension feel like more of an end game, which I think is a nice idea and something alot of players will enjoy. If not some credits then some form of scroll or message to the player should be in order I reckon.
Back to top Go down
http://soundcloud.com/inca_uk
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 1:51 am

That sounds good to me Inca, I think it would be a fitting place for the credits. The intro would only have the Thrive logo, and Revolutionary Games on it, so the developer names would go at the end.
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 6:39 am

I was casually reading the Guinness World Records Gamers' Edition last night (as you do) and came across information about a website for indie games. Here's a link: http://indiegames.com/index.html

While it may not be a good idea to post anything about Thrive at the moment considering how much we actually have to show, it may be one of the best platforms for growing our audience in the future.
Back to top Go down
http://oliverlugg.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread
Page 8 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next