Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
 J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
 J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
 J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
 J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
 J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
 J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
 J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
 J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
 J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
 J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
 J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
 J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
 J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
 J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
 J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
 J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
 J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
 J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
 J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
 J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.

Go down 
+12
roadkillguy
Loner
DragonEye4
koiboi59
US_of_Alaska
YourBreakfast
~sciocont
The Uteen
Noitulove
ADMIN
Commander Keen
Invader
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
koiboi59
Learner
koiboi59

J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.    J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 8:28 am

i wouldn't mind clippy but i dont think microsoft will give him to us for free.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.    J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 10:39 am

InvaderZim wrote:
He needs a new name. I will list some.

Minerva (Greek godess of wisdom)
Help Screen
Atlas (Reference spam)
The All-Knowing Mind
Jeff
Help-o-tron
The Mind
Martha, your assistant
Any other normal name.
Chuck Norris

...At this point I'm just typing to make the list longer...

EDIT: Scio, I thought you replaced Belgium with Spore!

Minerva - I'm not sure how many people in the games audience will understand this. (unless they do research)
Help Screen - If we can't find anything better.
Atlas - Other people might like it better, but I think it's a bit of an unusual idea. I'm not sure.
The All-Knowing Mind - It could be portrayed as something like this, like a godly figure.
Normal names - I'm not sure using common names will work well. I don't like the idea.
Help-o-tron - Wouldn't work in cell, multi-cell, awakening, and sapience.
The Mind - Like The All-Knowing Mind, but not quite as impressive. Although we might not want it to be too impressive.

That's my opinion, but you should make a poll.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.    J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 1:42 pm

The Uteen wrote:
InvaderZim wrote:
He needs a new name. I will list some.

Minerva (Greek godess of wisdom)
Help Screen
Atlas (Reference spam)
The All-Knowing Mind
Jeff
Help-o-tron
The Mind
Martha, your assistant
Any other normal name.
Chuck Norris

...At this point I'm just typing to make the list longer...

EDIT: Scio, I thought you replaced Belgium with Spore!

Minerva - I'm not sure how many people in the games audience will understand this. (unless they do research)
Help Screen - If we can't find anything better.
Atlas - Other people might like it better, but I think it's a bit of an unusual idea. I'm not sure.
The All-Knowing Mind - It could be portrayed as something like this, like a godly figure.
Normal names - I'm not sure using common names will work well. I don't like the idea.
Help-o-tron - Wouldn't work in cell, multi-cell, awakening, and sapience.
The Mind - Like The All-Knowing Mind, but not quite as impressive. Although we might not want it to be too impressive.

That's my opinion, but you should make a poll.

Well, Atlas was to be ignored, as it was reference spam. The rest, I agree with. I was hoping others would add ideas, too, but... the day is young.

I'll hold off on a poll for now.

WAIT! Atlas kind of works... the Atlas of your galaxy! At first it was just a BioShock reference, but maybe... MAYBE... MUHAHHAHAH!!!! *Goes on rampage, kicking over trash cans, pushing people over, jumping on couches, ect.*
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.    J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 5:43 pm

Well, I'm really bad at names, and your post seemed full of Bioshock references (Minerva = "oh, where I have seen that Minerva's den sig?), but Atlas isn't that bad name.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.    J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 5:54 pm

No, Atlas is kind of okay, really.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.    J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 9:16 am

I think we should stick to mythological terms, but Atlas doesn't really fit. Mnemosyne, the titan of memory, would be a good fit. Coeus, the titan of intelligence, would also work.
Back to top Go down
Noitulove
Regular

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.    J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 1:54 pm

So far I'm liking Atlas, the All-knowing mind and just the Mind. Not too fond of the others because some users might not get them.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.    J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 4:22 pm

~sciocont wrote:
I think we should stick to mythological terms, but Atlas doesn't really fit. Mnemosyne, the titan of memory, would be a good fit. Coeus, the titan of intelligence, would also work.

I don't really like either of the names, they just look too strange. Also, why it does have to be mythological?
Back to top Go down
YourBreakfast
Learner
YourBreakfast

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.    J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 6:57 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
~sciocont wrote:

I don't really like either of the names, they just look too strange. Also, why it does have to be mythological?

QFT. I'm not grasping the whole mythological theme we're going at here. Do we even need a name for him?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.    J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 11:03 pm

I actually just like the mind.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.    J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 11:32 pm

YourBreakfast wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:
~sciocont wrote:

QFT. I'm not grasping the whole mythological theme we're going at here. Do we even need a name for him?
We need somehting. Otherwise what do you tell the player's to do when they need to know something?

"Click on the ? button to open up ___."

The Mind does sound alright...
Back to top Go down
Loner
Newcomer
Loner

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.    J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 31, 2010 9:06 am

The Mind would be alright but the all knowing mind thats way too far
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.    J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 2:59 pm

Why not an ok/cancel box? Or maybe just fade in text! Having a name is just kind of.. well..
Back to top Go down
eumesmo
Regular
eumesmo

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.    J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 8:02 pm

We should call it The Mind, but have a box to change that

this is lua so....

name = "The Mind"
TextBoxVal = name.." is a powerful being that knows many things, you can access "..name.." 's information through here"
--and even a easter egg
if name == "~sciocont" then
TextBoxVal = "scio is here to keep your game from going to belgium!"
end

notice this is not me insulting ~sciocont, it's just a example...
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.    J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 9:36 pm

Hmmm... well... I guess so. We should have one for a bunch of people, if that's the case.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.    J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 10:12 pm

eumesmo wrote:
We should call it The Mind, but have a box to change that

this is lua so....

name = "The Mind"
TextBoxVal = name.." is a powerful being that knows many things, you can access "..name.." 's information through here"
--and even a easter egg
if name == "~sciocont" then
TextBoxVal = "scio is here to keep your game from going to belgium!"
end

notice this is not me insulting ~sciocont, it's just a example...
You get uprated.
Back to top Go down
Poisson
Regular
Poisson

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.    J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 12:27 am

How about The Guide?
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.    J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 6:14 am

Poisson wrote:
How about The Guide?

So, we have three options now: The Guide, The Mind, and a choice of what to call it. Is it time to make a poll yet? (haven't seen one of those old things for ages! )
Back to top Go down
Lukas99
Newcomer
Lukas99

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.    J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 11:23 am

Well, it's going to be talking a lot so it needs a personality; not just some boring "welcome back" tone. I vote for an extremely depressed personality.
Back to top Go down
YourBreakfast
Learner
YourBreakfast

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.    J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 12:27 pm

Lukas99 wrote:
Well, it's going to be talking a lot so it needs a personality; not just some boring "welcome back" tone. I vote for an extremely depressed personality.

All it is is going to be text. We won't actually have a physical appearance.
Back to top Go down
Lukas99
Newcomer
Lukas99

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.    J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 12:29 pm

YourBreakfast wrote:
Lukas99 wrote:

Oh, I thought it would be voice that guides you, sort of like Hal 2000; without all the murder.
Back to top Go down
Poisson
Regular
Poisson

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.    J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 1:32 pm

Lukas99 wrote:
YourBreakfast wrote:
Lukas99 wrote:

Oh, I thought it would be voice that guides you, sort of like Hal 2000; without all the murder.
Points to own avatar.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.    J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 6:52 pm

We are not making marvin, as much as I would love to.
We also have eumesmo's idea of naming it after me.
Back to top Go down
eumesmo
Regular
eumesmo

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.    J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 8:37 pm

http://www.flyborg.net/games/via_sol_2/

when you start a game, after the into animation, notice the menu.... you can chose the advisor and the ideology of your nation...

just throwing more ideas...
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.    J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 3:50 am

Lukas99 wrote:
YourBreakfast wrote:
Lukas99 wrote:

The Atlas idea was a voice that guided you, too. I thought we were still going with a voice for some reason, and because Atlas is the voice that guides you in that game, I thougt it was a fitting reverence.

Anywho....

The Mind is kinda cool. I think it needs a little more... pizazz. (I do not blame you for never taking me seriously again for saying pizazz... twice...)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.    J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next