Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Graphics Team - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Graphics Team - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Graphics Team - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Graphics Team - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Graphics Team - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Graphics Team - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Graphics Team - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Graphics Team - Page 2 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Graphics Team - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Graphics Team - Page 2 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Graphics Team - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Graphics Team - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Graphics Team - Page 2 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Graphics Team - Page 2 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Graphics Team - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Graphics Team - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Graphics Team - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Graphics Team - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Graphics Team - Page 2 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Graphics Team - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Graphics Team

Go down 
+14
crovea
Ymedron
Nimbal
Tritium
EVanimations
Psych0Ch3f
Immortal_Dragon
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
AwesomeSiebren
Falthron
FalmerbloodElixir
tjblazer85
Thriving Cheese
NickTheNick
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Psych0Ch3f
Newcomer
Psych0Ch3f

Graphics Team - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Graphics Team   Graphics Team - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 17, 2013 1:43 am

Ok guys let me just clear something up. (I think i know what nick's trying to get at here)

-Perlin Fractal Noise Map- (according to wikipedia)
"Define an n-dimensional grid. Each grid coordinate stores a gradient of unit length in n dimensions. To sample, determine which grid cell you're in, and then compute the n-dimensional vectors from the sample location to each grid coordinate of the cell. For each grid coordinate, calculate the dot products of the corresponding distance and gradient vectors. Finally, interpolate these dot products using a function that has zero first derivative (and possibly also second derivative) at both endpoints."

Too much math, doesnt need to be on the art forums. I'm sure Nick has realized that by now. We all learned something today. (btw these perlin fractal noise maps are very very commonly used in video games these days).

By the way guys, let's all try to focus on the artwork here on this forum. We can ask questions by pm'ing the mods or posting it on the Misc threads. I know this post also counts as one, but I can't stand to see this nonsensical talk continue. its been like 2 pages and theres less than a couple models that actually fit the described outline set by the team leads. If you think of an idea post your thoughts and how you will go about making it and then see what feedback you get. once you all seem to have a *concrete* idea of what to make (and the approval of the team leads), make it in the proper program and post it according to the set format. Then if the model needs adjusting, you'll be told. It's as simple as that. You guys went on a huge tangent with that perlin fractal noise, and I see really random questions and lots of models being posted without approval of the leads (remember thrivingcheese said these >>>are too be discussed<<<.)
that's all
savvy?
Back to top Go down
EVanimations
Newcomer
EVanimations

PostSubject: Re: Graphics Team   Graphics Team - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 17, 2013 4:27 pm

I've set to work on modeling some vertebrae.

EDIT: Here is a simple vertebra, a few modified versions, and a rib.

Vertebra:

Here's the file download.
Back to top Go down
Tritium
Newcomer
Tritium

PostSubject: Re: Graphics Team   Graphics Team - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 17, 2013 7:09 pm

EVanimations these're awesome models, with skills like that the game can become far better looking than expected. I am curious to see what the microbe stage could look like with your models
Back to top Go down
EVanimations
Newcomer
EVanimations

PostSubject: Re: Graphics Team   Graphics Team - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 17, 2013 9:34 pm

Bawhaw, shucks. Make a man blush.

Microbe stage models should be relatively easy, seeing as they're organic blobs and organelles. I intend to do as much for this game as I can
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Graphics Team   Graphics Team - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 1:18 am

Great work EVanimations, but remember to offer to do something first and confirm that its a necessary model, because so far everything on the list is "to be discussed".
Back to top Go down
Falthron
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Graphics Team   Graphics Team - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 1:25 am

Threw together a chloroplast Quickly, could probably use some more work but here we go;

Low Poly Model:

High Poly Model:

Placed inside 3 hexagons as per example from the concept animation, each hexagon has a radius of 5 meters and a height of 2 meters. Texturing is not done of course. Tell me what I need to work on.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Graphics Team   Graphics Team - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 2:00 am

A chloroplast has already been done by Thriving Cheese here (https://thrivegame.canadaboard.net/t1131p180-art-team-we-need-you). I commend you for doing this work, but just make sure to discuss next time before getting to work, to avoid modelling something that's already done. You wouldn't want to waste any time.
Back to top Go down
Falthron
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Graphics Team   Graphics Team - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 2:30 am

No, thank you for pointing it out, I haven't seen any lists for completed works, so thank you for point this out to me. Would it be possible to update one of the title posts with a list of completed works, just so that this problem doesn't happen again.
Back to top Go down
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: Graphics Team   Graphics Team - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 3:20 am

Yup. (I'll fix that soon when I get home).
Back to top Go down
http://thrive-game.deviantart.com/
Falthron
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Graphics Team   Graphics Team - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 10:44 am

It occurred to me that we should probably list off the polygon counts for 3D models we submit. Detailed models are good and all, but we do need to keep check on our polygon counts. Especially since the engine will likely be fairly unoptimized.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Graphics Team   Graphics Team - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 8:38 pm

I think the OP states a recommendation of ~100 polygons per model. However, if the guidelines can be improved in any way, please say so.

This is a conversation carried over from the Art Team: We Need You thread.

Tritium wrote:
Version 1:
Spoiler:
Version 2:
Spoiler:
I don't know guys i really don't like this orange-red color...
Its not just personal preference, endoplasmic reticulum always have a colour somewhere between pink and orange. There's just something about the colour and texture of the first ER that didnt translate well into the second one, even after the colour change, but unless someone wants to take a shot at making another version we can settle with this for now. However, I like the nucleus, it was done well.
Back to top Go down
Tritium
Newcomer
Tritium

PostSubject: Re: Graphics Team   Graphics Team - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 8:59 pm

I guess that's what you expected? Less transparency and a texture- the only things i didn't change in the second model.
Spoiler:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/99y0wm0fmg5xbxn/Kernel4.blend

Last edited by Tritium on Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Falthron
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Graphics Team   Graphics Team - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 9:04 pm

NickTheNick wrote:
I think the OP states a recommendation of ~100 polygons per model. However, if the guidelines can be improved in any way, please say so.
I think that listing the specifications of the models created is just useful to have just for the sake of statistics. Kind of a courtesy when showing off your model.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Graphics Team   Graphics Team - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 9:10 pm

Ohh, I read your post wrong, you mean that an artist should post their poly count when they submit a model. Yes, I agree.
Back to top Go down
Tritium
Newcomer
Tritium

PostSubject: Re: Graphics Team   Graphics Team - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 9:17 pm

Ok i need some info on this 100 polys refers to number of triangles or quad faces? Look at this ball
Spoiler:
It has 56 faces or 112 triangles. If this is the limit the models will be very very simple.
Back to top Go down
Falthron
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Graphics Team   Graphics Team - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 9:20 pm

I believe as a general rule, most people list Tris.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Graphics Team   Graphics Team - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 9:28 pm

That is true, that is a very low count, however that is what cheese said and I'm pretty sure polys are counted as triangles. Does this mean very simple models for the opening builds?
Back to top Go down
Falthron
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Graphics Team   Graphics Team - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 9:33 pm

We should be using simple models for opening builds because we want to showcase the engine more than the assets at first. If we wish we can release a functional build that would allow for most computer to run it and release a separate build that would be used to showcase some of the other assets depending on what the programmers want.

The opening build should be first and foremost about the functionality of the game. Think of the current assets as place holder I suppose.
Back to top Go down
FalmerbloodElixir
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Graphics Team   Graphics Team - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 10:27 pm

Thinking of trying out the sand particles. How should they be done? Any reference images or specifics that you guys want?
Back to top Go down
EVanimations
Newcomer
EVanimations

PostSubject: Re: Graphics Team   Graphics Team - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 10:38 pm

Just thought about something.

How are we going to create the bones for the limbs of the creatures? I would go about it by modeling several different bone ends/caps/joints or whatever and generating some polys between the caps.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Graphics Team   Graphics Team - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 10:52 pm

For now we need to leave that alone because the OE game design document needs to be finished.
Back to top Go down
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: Graphics Team   Graphics Team - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 6:29 am

Tritium wrote:
Ok i need some info on this 100 polys refers to number of triangles or quad faces? Look at this ball
NickTheNick wrote:
That is true, that is a very low count, however that is what cheese said and I'm pretty sure polys are counted as triangles.
Ops, I've must have missed a '0' at the end there, a more resonable Tris amount for the organells of the microbe stage would propably be ~1000 depending on how big quantities of organells on the screen at the same time that we'll have. This estimation is mostly based on tf2, where the maximum amount of polygons for most hats are ~1000, and for most weapons the maximum's ~6500 polygons, and from how I've understood it we'll have some couple of organells in en each cell/microbe and maybe something around 10 - 25 microbes at screen at the same time, but not all the organells won't be equally  big so the optimal polygon count will be different depending of the average size of the organell in-game. Altough I don't know if our engine's faster or slower than tf2's version of the source engine, wich ain't the most modern of engines from what I know.
     Polygons includes bothe Quads and Tris/Triangles, but most game engines only uses triangles/tris in-game (most of them automativcly converts the Quads to Tris/triangles) and thus what really matters for game engines are the tris amount.
NickTheNick wrote:
Does this mean very simple models for the opening builds?
So maybe we'll have to start with simpler models in the begging to test how much our engine can take at a time.
Back to top Go down
http://thrive-game.deviantart.com/
Nimbal
Programming Team lead

PostSubject: Re: Graphics Team   Graphics Team - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 7:02 am

Don't worry too much about polygon count at this point. The graphics engine won't be the fastest, but from my limited understanding of 3D modelling, it's easier to remove detail than to add it after the fact. So, if we find at some point that the 20k polygon nucleus model is a little too intricated and makes two nvidia Titans in SLI give off SOS in the form of smoke signals, we can still reduce its complexity. (As a side note, please don't use 20k polygons for an organelle).
Back to top Go down
Falthron
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Graphics Team   Graphics Team - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 8:28 am

Nimbal wrote:
Don't worry too much about polygon count at this point. The graphics engine won't be the fastest, but from my limited understanding of 3D modelling, it's easier to remove detail than to add it after the fact. So, if we find at some point that the 20k polygon nucleus model is a little too intricated and makes two nvidia Titans in SLI give off SOS in the form of smoke signals, we can still reduce its complexity. (As a side note, please don't use 20k polygons for an organelle).
It's sometimes easy for us modelers, well at least me, to get lost in making the details just perfect :P . Keeping poly count in mind helps me avoid that.
Back to top Go down
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Learner
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox

PostSubject: Re: Graphics Team   Graphics Team - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 10:30 am

I've just got a few little tidbits on Polycounts for the use of whoever sees fit to use them:

http://www.rsart.co.uk/2007/08/27/yes-but-how-many-polygons/

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=43975

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50588

http://www.ericchadwick.com/examples/provost/byf1.html

http://www.ericchadwick.com/examples/provost/byf2.html

Bon apetit.
Back to top Go down
http://s15.zetaboards.com/Xeno_Corporation/index/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Graphics Team   Graphics Team - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down