Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Go down 
+64
moopli
ElementalRed
untrustedlife
Fangchamp
Kirillian
tjwhale
Patrick Rajesh
NickTheNick
MirrorMonkey2
Oliveriver
Lepticidio
MitochondriaBox
StealthStyle L
Zymoox
AwesomeSiebren
crovea
Psych0Ch3f
spacetime_dinosaur
RyuNeko932000
Daniferrito
Earthium Prime
HariboTer
Loony Toony
The Creator
K2017
Namor-Yrotciv
0eragonbioly0
Tidus Klein
anna0cat
Captain Mcderp
Atrox
PTFace
T0N12
Madero
DeanDactyl
Noltras
Tré Wisemen
ethroptur
Alexthe666
sporewow
giffman8
TheRabiesGuineaPig
ccarriel
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Tarpy
SawerGreem
Seregon
jman12351
Notsae66
Tritium
Scottnov
Inca
PropTheRedstoner
Marija Milosevic
amymist
Alex J G
dinoman9877
Armok: God of Blood
Pantheon_Gamer
tjblazer85
Diamond Pixel
Immortal_Dragon
darwin.the.gamer
Jupiter34
68 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15 ... 29  Next
AuthorMessage
Diamond Pixel
Newcomer
Diamond Pixel

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: cell backround   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 05, 2014 7:44 pm

I don't know if this is the right place, (I cant post on the concept art page) but this is a background for the microbe stage I made (yes, I know, I can do better) I'm still working on it.
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 06, 2014 4:54 am

This is the wrong thread. I understand you wish to post what work you've done, but that's not what this thread is for.

In regards to posting privileges, read the latest Devblog, and it will explain why and how the posting procedure works.
Back to top Go down
dinoman9877
Newcomer
dinoman9877

Location : The Jurassic Period, fighting an allosaurus using a spear.

PostSubject: Well. I missed some stuff.   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 08, 2014 12:41 am

I RETURN FROM THE GRAVE!

And what the heck did I miss while I was being extinct? Did I hear right? Has Thrive ACTUALLY made some basic prototypes?

I was not smart in leaving. I missed epic stuff while I was away.

I saw the post for the record high. 29,000 PEOPLE WERE ON THE SITE?!

Can someone get me up to speed?
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 08, 2014 5:43 am

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the record high visitor level actually happened several months before you even joined - it's just that people have been posting on the Devblog about it recently. But yes, we do have a couple of new releases which demonstrate a more complex compounds system and AI cells.
Back to top Go down
http://oliverlugg.com/
dinoman9877
Newcomer
dinoman9877

Location : The Jurassic Period, fighting an allosaurus using a spear.

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 09, 2014 5:54 pm

Really? Months before I joined? Why would I see a post about it then. That was false hope on my part.  :| 

But to hear that we're starting to get dug in a bit with a few prototypes is good. It's progress I hoped to see. I'm anxious to see where we go from here.  :alien: 
Back to top Go down
Alex J G
Newcomer

PostSubject: Story editor   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 22, 2014 5:41 pm

I have an idea for a minigame.

One of the things that I wanted to see in Spore was the ability to create stories and myths for your creatures. The basic idea is that the story editor functions as a movie maker and becomes active once your organism develops sentience. Actors and props are drawn from the flora and fauna of your planet. Certain technologies and ideas can open up new things to incorporate, such as lasers and mutants. You can also create mythical creatures, which is like the organism editor, but without the limitations on what you can make. Basically something the player can use to screw around with for fun.
Back to top Go down
amymist
Newcomer
amymist

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 22, 2014 6:57 pm

Alex J G wrote:

One of the things that I wanted to see in Spore was the ability to create stories and myths for your creatures. The basic idea is that the story editor functions as a movie maker and becomes active once your organism develops sentience. Actors and props are drawn from the flora and fauna of your planet. Certain technologies and ideas can open up new things to incorporate, such as lasers and mutants. You can also create mythical creatures, which is like the organism editor, but without the limitations on what you can make. Basically something the player can use to screw around with for fun.

I doubt there's going to be a story editor quite like that, but there's no reason you couldn't worldbuild for your creatures anyway.

Maybe a way to export the models of your creatures so you can use them in another program? Not quite the same, but might be fun.

As for the mythical creature thing, there is an editor that's unlimited (that I think you access from the main menu?) so you could still do that.

If something like this were to be part of the game, I think it would be long after we get out a '1.0' version.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 22, 2014 9:46 pm

Alex J G wrote:

That's basically the sandbox mode. You could use the sandbox mode to make videos of some story you imagine, create it with the game while recording it, and then edit it in something like moviemaker to then post on youtube.

Also, you will have a text box you can write whatever you want in in the Strategy mode to basically record the history of your people (as you see fit).
Back to top Go down
Diamond Pixel
Newcomer
Diamond Pixel

PostSubject: Starting Worlds   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 23, 2014 6:20 pm

When you start a new world, will you be able to modify/create your starting planet? Here me out.

There would be three options when starting a new world:
1. Create you own planet
   This option lets you create your own planet to play on. Starting off with a blank, featureless planet, you could customize your world's sky color, water level, humidity,  
   temperature, etc. Your could also create oceans, rivers, valleys, mountains, lakes, and other land-forms spread as you wish across the world.This would give players a  
  more unique playing experience, and would make the game more personalized.    

2. Random
   In this option, the world would be randomly generated. This option is best for people who want to get right into the game without spending time creating there own
world.

3. Choosing from preset worlds
   In this option you will be able to choose from a number of pre-created worlds. This would allow you to have choices, but still not waste time creating a world from
   scratch (you could also modify a preset before you start).
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 23, 2014 7:08 pm

That sounds to me like a good idea, but I think the first option should be locked until your second playthrough (or some other milestone that the player needs to unlock, like reaching at least the Society Stage in any of their games).

However, I don't think presets should be edit-able. Rather, if you are customizing a planet you can load a preset and then customize it further, but when you are unable to customize planets, you can only randomize your homeworld or pick from a preset list.
Back to top Go down
Marija Milosevic
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 1:29 pm

why cant i downvote? someone was rude to me so i want to downvote their post
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 6:41 am

It doesn't work like that, it is only part of the reputation system here, which really doesn't affect anything. You can vote positive or negative on each and every post in a thread provided you are logged in.
Back to top Go down
AwesomeSiebren
Newcomer
AwesomeSiebren

PostSubject: .   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 9:23 am

The + and - are gone, I think that is why he asked that.
This is most likely something from the restrictions.

Not that it changes anything. ;P
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 3:26 am

I'm assuming you need to be a developer to be able to upvote or downvote on most threads, because its associated with the posting restriction. I'm no sure how to separate the two, or if its possible.
Back to top Go down
Marija Milosevic
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 1:03 pm

ok. how do i change the color of my name
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 2:02 pm

I don't think you can change the color of your name, only if you become a moderator or team lead I think.
Back to top Go down
MitochondriaBox
Learner
MitochondriaBox

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 6:32 pm

NickTheNick wrote:
I'm assuming you need to be a developer to be able to upvote or downvote on most threads, because its associated with the posting restriction. I'm no sure how to separate the two, or if its possible.

I'm not a developer, and the rating options appear to me.

Maybe the voting option disappears when you get too many downvotes?
Back to top Go down
PropTheRedstoner
Newcomer
PropTheRedstoner

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 04, 2014 3:22 pm

Hey look we have had 1337 registered users.

Anyway, will space be more like FTL, more like a simulator, or more like Mass Effect?

Also, there don't appear to be any recent posts in the development blog, has any progress been made?
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 3:35 am

Well recently there were some changes to the forum structure and member status with posting, but on more game-related topics Crovea posted an update post here.
Back to top Go down
Inca
Regular
Inca

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 13, 2014 5:42 pm

Hey guys. I'm off Uni for Easter and I got a bit of free time. So how are we doing? Still making good progress?
Back to top Go down
http://soundcloud.com/inca_uk
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 3:46 am

Basically we are currently working on the Microbe Stage release we've got out, fleshing it out with more features like some GUI, microbe interactions, editor and gameplay cohesion, etc. From there it would be a good idea to finally take what we have and start some outreach to get some more people on to the development team.
Back to top Go down
Jupiter34
Newcomer

PostSubject: Steam   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 6:39 am

Hi
I see all is going well with development
I would just like to know something
Once the game is finished will people have to download it from the site or will you put it on steam?
Thank you
Back to top Go down
crovea
Programming Team lead
crovea

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 2:11 pm

Jupiter34 wrote:
Once the game is finished will people have to download it from the site or will you put it on steam?

I suppose it would be cool to have it on steam, but It probably depends on, if there is any restrictions for steam that don't fit well for our model and if we can get greenlit.

On a entirely different note, I thought I'd suggest an idea for once, couldn't find anything similar around so here it is:

I was reading through the microbe design document and noticed the thing about players, upon death, respawning as a copy of their old microbe.
What if the player had a simulated number displayed for the population of his microbe type.
The number would be calculated based on how long he has had that specific microbe type active and how well he is doing (in terms of losing health/dying and staying high/low on important compounds).

If the population is 0 or very low, the player will not respawn as a copy of that type, but a different one. Could be a previous iteration of his microbe, a random other microbe type or having to start over completely.

This way it puts some varying excitement into the game (When you just evolved your microbe for example) while putting pressure on you to do well. Obviously the difficulty of maintaining a good population number could be adjusted and probably shouldn't be very hard, but I think it would be a cool feature to have the players microbe type go extinct if he dies over and over. Other effects could be coupled into population, such as how easy it is to find others of his kin to merge with. The basic idea of this could perhaps also be taken into the next few single-creature stages. You would need to figure out how this interacts with saved games.
Back to top Go down
Scottnov
Learner
Scottnov

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 2:31 pm

NickTheNick wrote:
Basically we are currently working on the Microbe Stage release we've got out, fleshing it out with more features like some GUI, microbe interactions, editor and gameplay cohesion, etc. From there it would be a good idea to finally take what we have and start some outreach to get some more people on to the development team.
Will the new release have some better looking graphics, or will it be roughly the same?
Back to top Go down
PropTheRedstoner
Newcomer
PropTheRedstoner

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 6:18 pm

NickTheNick wrote:

Hey, is there a download link for prototype microbe stage yet? I've looked around and haven't been able to find a working link anywhere.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread
Page 2 of 29Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15 ... 29  Next