Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Go down 
+64
moopli
ElementalRed
untrustedlife
Fangchamp
Kirillian
tjwhale
Patrick Rajesh
NickTheNick
MirrorMonkey2
Oliveriver
Lepticidio
MitochondriaBox
StealthStyle L
Zymoox
AwesomeSiebren
crovea
Psych0Ch3f
spacetime_dinosaur
RyuNeko932000
Daniferrito
Earthium Prime
HariboTer
Loony Toony
The Creator
K2017
Namor-Yrotciv
0eragonbioly0
Tidus Klein
anna0cat
Captain Mcderp
Atrox
PTFace
T0N12
Madero
DeanDactyl
Noltras
Tré Wisemen
ethroptur
Alexthe666
sporewow
giffman8
TheRabiesGuineaPig
ccarriel
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Tarpy
SawerGreem
Seregon
jman12351
Notsae66
Tritium
Scottnov
Inca
PropTheRedstoner
Marija Milosevic
amymist
Alex J G
dinoman9877
Armok: God of Blood
Pantheon_Gamer
tjblazer85
Diamond Pixel
Immortal_Dragon
darwin.the.gamer
Jupiter34
68 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 22 ... 29  Next
AuthorMessage
tjwhale
Theorist
tjwhale

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 EmptySat Oct 11, 2014 6:23 am

Loony Toony wrote:
I released the 0.2.3 tutorial video (I hope it's 0.2.3, the link for 0.2.3 sent me to that download but it says 0.2.2 in the bottom right corner). To watch it search "thrive 0.2.3 tutorial" on YouTube, and it's around 6 and a half minutes long. I covered pretty much everything I knew about (or think I know about) from simple movement and orientation to cell processes. I know the video quality is... poor... but it's up nonetheless. Please let me know if I missed something or I got something wrong!

Cool video, really informative and well paced. Good work!
Back to top Go down
Loony Toony
Newcomer

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Added chloroplasts   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 EmptySat Oct 11, 2014 8:10 am

OK, I added an annotation when the carbon dioxide comes up saying they can be used in chloroplasts, and said how to add chloroplasts. Anything else I missed or got wrong?
Back to top Go down
MitochondriaBox
Learner
MitochondriaBox

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 EmptySat Oct 11, 2014 12:16 pm

Loony Toony wrote:
OK, I added an annotation when the carbon dioxide comes up saying they can be used in chloroplasts, and said how to add chloroplasts. Anything else I missed or got wrong?

... I think that's about it. Good work!
Back to top Go down
Atrox
Newcomer
Atrox

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 EmptySat Oct 11, 2014 7:53 pm

Guys, I know it's a bit late in development to bring this up but has anyone discussed radiotropism? Do you think it's too late to suggest creatures that feed off of ionizing radiation?
Back to top Go down
MitochondriaBox
Learner
MitochondriaBox

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 EmptySat Oct 11, 2014 9:11 pm

Atrox wrote:
Guys, I know it's a bit late in development to bring this up but has anyone discussed radiotropism? Do you think it's too late to suggest creatures that feed off of ionizing radiation?

... Probably not too late. If you look at recent releases, thermoplasts haven't been implemented yet, so the only difference between thermosynthesis and whatever else someone might suggest (electrosynthesis, radiotropism, etc.) is that thermosynthesis is decided on; anything else could always be added in, even after the Space Stage is implemented.

EDIT: Anything other than photosynthesis would probably only survive as extremophiles, though. Hydrothermal vents are the only place where thermotrophs would be able to survive because everywhere else where water could be is too cold, and where a radiotroph would live is anyone's guess. Electrotrophs might be common on a really stormy planet in the form of metallic algae and lightningrod trees.
Back to top Go down
Atrox
Newcomer
Atrox

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 EmptySat Oct 11, 2014 10:05 pm

Wow that's some good stuff

EDIT: I would assume a radiotrophic organism would exist in an area that is highly irradiated like a nuclear fallout zone, a planet with a thin atmosphere, or a nuclear power plant
Back to top Go down
The Creator
Newcomer
The Creator

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 EmptySat Oct 11, 2014 10:26 pm

Atrox wrote:

That was the problem with the old GUI, it was really hard to add new organelles. But with the new one it should be really easy to just say what a part does and plop it onto the parts wheel, you don't even need much programming knowledge.
Back to top Go down
MitochondriaBox
Learner
MitochondriaBox

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 EmptySat Oct 11, 2014 10:32 pm

The Creator wrote:
Atrox wrote:

That was the problem with the old GUI, it was really hard to add new organelles. But with the new one it should be really easy to just say what a part does and plop it onto the parts wheel, you don't even need much programming knowledge.

Yup! Really helps for mods. And that people can go back and add something at any time. Like doing bugfixing for the Microbe Stage while Ascension is coming together.
Back to top Go down
Atrox
Newcomer
Atrox

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 9:27 am

Wait so we should be able to make our own organelles??
Back to top Go down
MitochondriaBox
Learner
MitochondriaBox

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 12:54 pm

Atrox wrote:
Wait so we should be able to make our own organelles??

Not in-game (https://thrivegame.canadaboard.net/t192-custom-organelles), as the linked topic says shortly before veering off the rails. Mods are always possible, though, and suggestions in the future could always work.
Back to top Go down
ElementalRed
Newcomer
ElementalRed

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 2:00 pm

Hey guys! I'm currently reading an interesting book called "Exquise Planète", which means "Exquisite Planet"in French, written by 3 scientists and a sci-fi writer (and unfortunately it doesn't exist in English) and it is about a planet which could have been ours if random had so decided it.
I've seen some vocabulary that reminded me of Thrive ( like the organelles, mitochondria, etc...) and it has some interesting lifeforms concept (for example, beings that adapted to a volcanic environment, or even "organic islands", a flying ecosystem, and bunch of other stuff.) And this gave me some ideas:

- Could the microbes use electricity to defend themselves? In the book, certain big "bactoïds" like they are called, have thin mud particles on their membranes which allow them to stick to each other and thus forms clusters. These contacts and frictions provokes electrons exchange and polarize their membrane, which attract other bactoïds floating around. Regarding defense, in the game, there could be a special organelle/compound/whatever that produces electricity.

-Could "mega-organisms" be possible in Thrive? Like those "living islands" who are actually clusters of multicellular organisms who moves according to the wind, current and tides. (By the way, will there be tides?)

-Could there be organisms that feeds on gases? Like the "vulcaïds" who adapted to volcanic environments and feeds on sulfur and methan.

-Could there be flying organisms that uses gases to move? In the book, there are organisms called the "aerozoa", who first adopted a hot air ballon-like shape to float in the atmosphere and to withstand the pressure, and through the years some of them mutated and developped a propulsion system via gases expulsions which allow them to steer. Some of them came back to the grounds, finding near the volcanos suitable microclimates whose sulfur vapor allows them to experiment new propulsion gases. Through the years, they adopted various shapes, such as missiles and kites.

Something I like about this book is that it mention several time that evolution is basically "try and error".
Back to top Go down
moopli
Developer
moopli

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 2:43 pm

MitochondriaBox wrote:
Mods are always possible

And in fact, a new organelle is probably one of the easier things to mod in right now: if your organelle is similar enough to one of the current organelle implementations, all you need to do is define the MP cost of the organelle, and create an OrganelleFactory factory function for your new organelle, which will define all the (other) properties of the organelle. Read the bottom of organelle.lua, and blahblah_organelle.lua for those. Then, if you want the organelle available in the editor, you look through microbe_editor.lua and microbe_editor_hud.lua -- there are a bunch of very similar chunks of code, one for each organelle, and you just copypaste the similarest bits and modify a little. If you want the AI cells to have the organelle, you needn't bother with the editor stuff, but can just create/modify templates in microbes.xml.

Looking through the relevant editor code, it strikes me that there's a lot of boilerplate, and I'm trying to decide right now if it's worth refactoring. If it is, then the above stuff might get even simpler.

Last edited by moopli on Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
StealthStyle L
Newcomer
StealthStyle L

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 3:31 pm

It sounds like an interesting read! If only I was good enough at French...

However, I think that mega-organisms couldn't exist as they probably wouldn't be able to be supported by their environment due to the huge amounts of food they would need to consume. Also, creatures sizes are very much limited by the effects of gravity which is why the biggest creature ever exists in the sea; the blue whale! That's if what you're talking about is one organism because you also mention clusters of multicellular organisms. In that case it could exist I guess. I mean look at coral polyps which forms vast amounts of coral.

Also, I don't think any advanced organisms could survive off of gases alone as not all things required to build an animal can reasonably be found in gaseous form. Although, there are some bacteria that create materials out of methane . Also, look at giant tube worms that use bacteria to fix carbon dioxide and produce sugars and amino acids. However, I don't know if this could be replicated on a larger scale to support larger organisms.

I'll be honest, I'm not sure about the floating organisms but interesting random fact: did you know some small spiders go ballooning? Yes, our eight-legged arachnid buddies can use create a parachute to be lifted off an dispersed. Amazing!
Back to top Go down
moopli
Developer
moopli

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 3:45 pm

ElementalRed wrote:
stuff

• Electricity: Pretty much all cells have polarized membranes -- they use the associated electrochemical gradients as a store of energy. However, that energy isn't really harnessable to zap anything -- we're talking tiny charge differentials here, not nearly enough voltage to move enough electrons far enough to cause a current arc. So, pretty much a no on this one, since it isn't what you're thinking.
  • Mega-organisms: We've got giant organisms already -- generally networks of sessile clones, like a massive fungal web or the trembling aspen. We also have large masses of floating organisms -- the Sargasso Sea being my favorite; where large networks of seaweed cover a huge expanse, sheltering turtles, eel larvae, and other things. Put those two together, maybe with a much more nutrient-rich ocean, and I could totally see large masses of floating seaweed, thick enough to walk on in places, drifting on the current.
  • Tides: Probably quite important for realism when simulating the evolutionary transition to land, as for feasibility, we'll figure that out when we get there
  • Gas-feeding: We feed on gas already -- we get all of our energy by feeding on oxygen. Photosynthetic organisms feed on CO2, and some on N2, in these case for biosynthesis. Purple sulfur bacteria feed on hydrogen sulfide, the list goes on. So, organisms already feed on gases. However, due to the water-based nature of the biochemistry of life, the gases have to be dissolved/intermixed in water, which limits how much food is available to a methanotroph, for example, which is one reason they're all prokaryotic. So, in the end, it all depends. I don't think we're planning on dealing with life based around a hydrocarbon/sulfur reducing atmosphere, for example, but whether we'll support smaller environments like that is a good question.
  • Farting balloons: Sure! A more dense atmosphere, hopefully warmer and more humid, so you can go higher without dessication or freezing, make them biosynthetically inflate with methane or hydrogen to store energy, and up and away they go!
  • "Try and error": Good for them

EDIT: Oh yeah and to everybody: The game does indeed say 0.2.2 at the bottom right corner -- that was an oversight, and with the next release it'll say 0.2.4.
Back to top Go down
The Creator
Newcomer
The Creator

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 7:45 pm

Since we're talking about cells and electricity, I just thought I'd leave this link about cells that eat electricity. Watch the video first.
Back to top Go down
Loony Toony
Newcomer

PostSubject: Concept cell editor stuff   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 9:15 pm

I remember one of my first posts on this topic was asking about cell editor stuff, so I just remembered I was going to post it. Please don't laugh at my terrible art.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 Thrive10

Proposed new cell editor and modelling
• Appearance is smooth; collision can remain hexagonal
• To make this work you need one model created per drawn green shape in the exact shape they are(I know some are hard to make out, sorry)
• Put all these into a “part library” of some sort to be used when needed in-game
• Every part is on the top half of the picture.
Process of how it should work
1. In cell editor, you place a new piece the same way you do now (place a part on a hexagonal grid, connecting to your other parts)
2. When you place a new part (green on the chart), it sends a signal to all neighboring grid spaces and to itself
3. When signal is received, the new part or neighbor of it checks the spaces neighboring it
4. Based on the where parts are and aren’t in the spaces adjacent to the signal-receiver, the part knows which example in the chart it is similar to
5. Based on which example it is similar to, it changes its appearance to match the one corresponding in the example
Basically, whenever a piece is added, it and the adjacent pieces go into recalculate mode, where they look at their neighbors as if they were the green piece on the chart of examples, and change their appearance accordingly.
To see this process visually, it’s on the bottom half of the picture.
Back to top Go down
crovea
Programming Team lead
crovea

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 EmptyTue Oct 14, 2014 11:42 am

Quote :
Proposed new cell editor and modelling

We are working on a more dynamic membrane for the microbes in the editor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W20rDBK70_0 also the organelles won't need to be packed together so closely, simply alligned in the hex.
Back to top Go down
Loony Toony
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 EmptyTue Oct 14, 2014 4:23 pm

I already watched that, and my only problem with that was the corners on what should be a circular organism. That was pretty much my goal when I scraped this together. Other than that the cell editor in the video is fine for me.
Back to top Go down
StealthStyle L
Newcomer
StealthStyle L

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 EmptyWed Oct 15, 2014 4:28 pm

A bit out of the blue, but would anyone mind if I wrote down some thoughts in how I think eggs and some related topics should be like in the game?
Back to top Go down
Scottnov
Learner
Scottnov

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 EmptyWed Oct 15, 2014 4:52 pm

StealthStyle L wrote:
A bit out of the blue, but would anyone mind if I wrote down some thoughts in how I think eggs and some related topics should be like in the game?
I'd love to read that. Those types of things interest me a lot, feel free to!
As a side note, I would like to know a bit more about how flight would work, and maybe put down my thoughts on flight mechanics and such.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 EmptyThu Oct 16, 2014 3:57 am

Reddit would probably allow for more flexibility on discussing that topic, as there you could create a new thread on it and get anyone else on the subreddit involved.
Back to top Go down
StealthStyle L
Newcomer
StealthStyle L

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 EmptyThu Oct 16, 2014 12:00 pm

Gotcha!
I'll do it there.
Back to top Go down
Scottnov
Learner
Scottnov

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 EmptySat Oct 18, 2014 4:56 am

It seems a lot of newer people who find the project seem to think the game will be released one time "when it's finished". Some more clarification on this and saying it will be released in segments would probably be for the best.
Back to top Go down
MitochondriaBox
Learner
MitochondriaBox

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 EmptySat Oct 18, 2014 11:47 am

Scottnov wrote:
It seems a lot of newer people who find the project seem to think the game will be released one time "when it's finished". Some more clarification on this and saying it will be released in segments would probably be for the best.

It's technically always "released" and will never be "finished," but I assume the game being "finished" would refer to the game having the capability to go from Microbe to Ascension.

Could take years, really, but it's all determined by how many developers we have available.

... For example, I'd say the Multicellular Stage'll be started on by 2020, at the rate we're going, unless Auto-Evo, population dynamics, AI, all the agents, and various editor features are easier to implement than I realize. So, about 6 years, but it could be reduced by some the more developers we attract; could shrink all the way down to 2018, just 4 years, with enough attracted developers!

We'll certainly have some more crew by the Aware Stage, though, so thing's speed up exponentially. Not "Space Stage in a matter of days"-level speed, but much faster (maybe just 5 years a stage).
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 EmptySat Oct 18, 2014 12:06 pm

MitochondriaBox wrote:
Multicellular Stage'll be started on by 2020

On the contrary - if everything goes to plan, it should be started at some point next year or, in the worst case scenario, the year after. After 0.2.4 (the timescale for which basically depends on how quickly I can get this Belgium GUI working, but shouldn't be more than a week or two more), we're planning to start promoting Thrive, seeing as it should finally be at a stage where potential team members won't be turned away by its crude appearance. Hopefully that should get a whole lot more developers on board (and quite possibly attract some older members back), shortening the completion time for each successive update.

The features you mention have all been partially implemented and have involved significant discussion already, so they shouldn't take too long to implement fully, providing we have enough dedicated programmers by then. In the long term, it gets a bit ambiguous, but I'd be surprised if we don't reach a point where we can make one stage per year, even if it only gets that fast towards the end of development.
Back to top Go down
http://oliverlugg.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 15 Empty

Back to top Go down

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread
Page 15 of 29Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 22 ... 29  Next