Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Hey all, overly eager programmer here! Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Hey all, overly eager programmer here! Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Hey all, overly eager programmer here! Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Hey all, overly eager programmer here! Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Hey all, overly eager programmer here! Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Hey all, overly eager programmer here! Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Hey all, overly eager programmer here! Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Hey all, overly eager programmer here! Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Hey all, overly eager programmer here! Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Hey all, overly eager programmer here! Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Hey all, overly eager programmer here! Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Hey all, overly eager programmer here! Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Hey all, overly eager programmer here! Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Hey all, overly eager programmer here! Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Hey all, overly eager programmer here! Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Hey all, overly eager programmer here! Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Hey all, overly eager programmer here! Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Hey all, overly eager programmer here! Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Hey all, overly eager programmer here! Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Hey all, overly eager programmer here! Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Hey all, overly eager programmer here!

Go down 
+3
NickTheNick
Loony Toony
MitochondriaBox
7 posters
AuthorMessage
dontpanic
Newcomer
dontpanic

Hey all, overly eager programmer here! Empty
PostSubject: Hey all, overly eager programmer here!   Hey all, overly eager programmer here! EmptyWed Oct 08, 2014 6:54 pm

Stumbled upon these forums from /r/eve believe it or not! An evolution game like Spore shoulda been? Sign me up! Open source? Woooo!

I am a programmer, mainly php + web stuff nowadays but I cut my teeth with C/C++. Its been a few years, but I'm sure I can dust off those brain cells and put 'em to use. I've been poking around the git repo and nothing has scared me off yet... And I have done some basic work with Ogre, so hooray!

Anyway, I'd love to help out in any way possible. If there's a bug tracker, point me at it! If you need some web dev work done, let me know.

In the mean time, I will be setting up my dev environment and getting familiarized with the game design and code base. That's gonna take a while!
Back to top Go down
MitochondriaBox
Learner
MitochondriaBox

PostSubject: Re: Hey all, overly eager programmer here!   Hey all, overly eager programmer here! EmptyWed Oct 08, 2014 7:22 pm

dontpanic wrote:
Stumbled upon these forums from /r/eve believe it or not! An evolution game like Spore shoulda been? Sign me up! Open source? Woooo!

I am a programmer, mainly php + web stuff nowadays but I cut my teeth with C/C++. Its been a few years, but I'm sure I can dust off those brain cells and put 'em to use. I've been poking around the git repo and nothing has scared me off yet... And I have done some basic work with Ogre, so hooray!

Anyway, I'd love to help out in any way possible. If there's a bug tracker, point me at it! If you need some web dev work done, let me know.

In the mean time, I will be setting up my dev environment and getting familiarized with the game design and code base. That's gonna take a while!

Woah, someone's got skill!

People post from all over the world, so I thought I'd welcome you here while there's still some sun in the sky here. It's 6:21, but still. Anyway, sounds like you've got some good stuff.
Back to top Go down
Loony Toony
Newcomer

PostSubject: Welcome   Hey all, overly eager programmer here! EmptyWed Oct 08, 2014 8:14 pm

Welcome to the group. I've noticed new people joining frequently, and it's nice to have programmers. I think that's the one department we are most lacking in, but I could be mistaken. Lots of work there, so you'll probably be busy a lot with it.
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: Hey all, overly eager programmer here!   Hey all, overly eager programmer here! EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 10:52 am

Welcome!

Website design and management is something we're in dire need of right now. Up until now I've been the one keeping the website in order, but for a while now it's needed an overhaul to something more dynamic than static web pages. We're also trying to transfer it to GitHub pages, so that section of the GitHub repository is applicable here.

By the way, considering your username, you might be interested in what happens when you try to use profanities on this forum.
Back to top Go down
http://oliverlugg.com/
dontpanic
Newcomer
dontpanic

PostSubject: Re: Hey all, overly eager programmer here!   Hey all, overly eager programmer here! EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 11:48 am

Hah, I saw the Belgium and knew I'd fit in just fine here. Such a dirty word!

As for the website, I do most my work in WordPress and can very quickly whip up something for us. Is there a thread with ongoing discussion about this topic?

Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: Hey all, overly eager programmer here!   Hey all, overly eager programmer here! EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 2:06 pm

Feel free to restart the discussion here: https://thrivegame.canadaboard.net/t1122p105-revolutionary-games-website-s-thread after reading through some of the earlier posts. You should find most of the relevant information there.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Hey all, overly eager programmer here!   Hey all, overly eager programmer here! EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 4:06 am

Welcome to aboard to the Thrive team!

Programming will never fail to be a very helpful tool for the project, especially if you can apply it to the website (we don't really have any people assigned to maintaining the website at the moment). However if you don't want to go into the website's management don't worry about it that's just an option. Check out our GitHub to see what the current coding situation is.
Back to top Go down
crovea
Programming Team lead
crovea

PostSubject: Re: Hey all, overly eager programmer here!   Hey all, overly eager programmer here! EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 10:11 am

Awesome, Welcome!

Getting the development environment set up can be a bit of a pain so if you need help with that or anything else programming ask away! I take a bit of time to answer on the forums here so feel free to add me on skype: jjonjex

The issues that are currently being worked on / need working on can be found here: https://github.com/Revolutionary-Games/Thrive/issues?q=is%3Aopen
Back to top Go down
dontpanic
Newcomer
dontpanic

PostSubject: Re: Hey all, overly eager programmer here!   Hey all, overly eager programmer here! EmptyMon Oct 13, 2014 1:16 pm

Thanks guys. I shouldn't have much trouble setting up a dev environment -- I'm no stranger to that sorta thing. Hope I can bust some bugs here soon!

As for the website, I'd be happy to take that over. Its what I do for a living, so it really won't be much trouble for me. I'll be making a post in the website thread here shortly explaining my plans.
Back to top Go down
moopli
Developer
moopli

PostSubject: Re: Hey all, overly eager programmer here!   Hey all, overly eager programmer here! EmptyMon Oct 13, 2014 2:03 pm

AWWWW YISSS take it off my hands, please. I was considering cleaning all the autogenerated code by hand, but then I looked at it (this was a few months ago) and I noped the belgium away. The current stuff is all accessible on the gh-pages branch -- including pictures, if you wanna grab those for mockups. Anyway I'll wait until you have that post up and continue there.
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

PostSubject: Re: Hey all, overly eager programmer here!   Hey all, overly eager programmer here! EmptyMon Oct 13, 2014 2:11 pm

moopli wrote:
I was considering cleaning all the autogenerated code by hand, but then I looked at it (this was a few months ago) and I noped the belgium away.

Yeah . . . sorry about that. As I've since found out, a WYSIWYG editor is not really the best for creating website code. We need to replace the entire thing anyway, so you can probably ignore the HTML files up already (though maybe not their design).

The mains problem are: the URL, which I'll need to transfer to whoever takes over the GitHub branch; the podcasts, which are huge audio files and need to be uploaded somewhere but preferably not GitHub (the XML file can point to anywhere else if need be); and some of the images, but since the HTML files will be completely replaced it might not be a problem.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hey all, overly eager programmer here!   Hey all, overly eager programmer here! Empty

Back to top Go down

Hey all, overly eager programmer here!
Page 1 of 1