Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Editors groupings Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Editors groupings Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Editors groupings Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Editors groupings Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Editors groupings Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Editors groupings Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Editors groupings Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Editors groupings Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Editors groupings Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Editors groupings Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Editors groupings Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Editors groupings Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Editors groupings Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Editors groupings Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Editors groupings Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Editors groupings Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Editors groupings Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Editors groupings Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Editors groupings Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Editors groupings Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Editors groupings

Go down 
+4
Invader
~sciocont
Lukas99
Bashinerox
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bashinerox
Programming Team lead
Bashinerox

Editors groupings Empty
PostSubject: Editors groupings   Editors groupings EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 8:35 am

Just thought i'd point something out.

The game WILL HAVE EDITORS.

Weither some or all of these editors are available to the player is another matter entirely.

Which brings me to my point, the editors really do need to be split into:

1. Development editors
Editors used to actually create the game.
Most importantly the part editor.

2. Ingame editors.
Editors used in the game by the player, weither this be a "creature editor" or vehicle editor or whatever.
Some of these editors may actually be a replica, or lmited (as in say what parts are available or whatever) versions of the development editors.
Back to top Go down
Lukas99
Newcomer
Lukas99

Editors groupings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Editors groupings   Editors groupings EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 10:52 am

Well, the parts editor could be given to moders, allowing for many new parts for the community, that we don't have to make. But, I would like to know exactly how the parts editor would work.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Editors groupings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Editors groupings   Editors groupings EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 12:19 pm

The idea of a "part editor" has been tossed around for a while, with different definitions. What do you mean by "part editor".

We want to give as much power to the player as possible, so they will be able to edit pretty much anything they want.

Before we had a few different Editors

Organism

Technology

Planet

Now, organism editor included an AI (behavior) editor, and the discovery of Computers brought about an AI editor for anything in the tech that had a programmable computer inside. We've figured out how the OE works, you've seen that, and he planet editor shouldn't be too hard. The hard part is the Tech Editor. I think you can see why.

In biology or earth science, there's certain limits to what can and can't happen. However, in the Tech editor, You could essentially build anything you want, which is a major problem. One of my past ideas was to use the Google Sketchup 3D modeler as a base and let players build from that. We would include components called "Function Parts" such as motors, hydraulics, springs, circuits, etc. that the player could add to their model to make it do things. However, we haven't gotten much farther than that. And it willl probably be changed again.

- I chose sketcup because it is easy to use, easy to learn, and supports add-ons. My idea was to run a modified version of the program in a game window as the TE.
Back to top Go down
Bashinerox
Programming Team lead
Bashinerox

Editors groupings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Editors groupings   Editors groupings EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 2:53 pm

Ahaha i realise how vague i was. Alot of posts from this morning (gmt+8) were in a severely hungover state.
Oh, and before the rest of this post, i'd like everyone to know that when i WRITE LIKE THIS I'm not inferring shouting. It's a bad habit from writing up technical documents

Okay, Part editor. Internally, (in the code) It's called a patch.

A creature file is basically a collection of patches, layered onto each other.

The file would look something like this (It's actually a binary file, but yeah..)

Spine_1:
20 bones long
join between bone 12 and 13 is bent by 14 degrees
bone 7 is scaled by 1.35 in x direction
etc etc etc

Arm14:
Attached to bone6 of Spine_1
bend limits for join on bone6 at Spine_1 are 6 degrees to 84 degrees
Mirrored
Tagged as arm part

and so on.

Then, if you looked at the patch file arm14,

Bone1
scaled by 2.0 in x direction

Bone2
joined to Bone1

Bone3
joined to Bone2

Bone4
welded to Bone3 (in other words, its not some form of movable joint. useful for creating more complicated bone structures)

Muscle1
end1 attached to Bone1's front
at angle 30, 40, 60 degrees
end2 attached to Bone1's back
at angle 50, 20, 40 degrees
thickness: 2.5

So, the part editor edits patch files (visually), which then get put together to create a creature file.

Going even lower is the bone editor, which is the spline extrusion concept i came up with that is really hard to describe, and you will have to see for yourself, when its done So yeah, even if we don't have an in-game creature editor, there will at the very least be a part editor that is needed to create the many different parts.

Having said all that, I could very well write a generator that dynamically creates many different paches either from scratch, or by modifying existing patches.

Also, right from the start i decided to include support for ageing. The system is (suppposed) to be able to produce a creature from more or less any age, even taking into account the ageing process after adulthood (bones stop growing, and posture become gradually weaker.)
Back to top Go down
Bashinerox
Programming Team lead
Bashinerox

Editors groupings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Editors groupings   Editors groupings EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 3:20 pm

Also not that any part can have a tag (or possibly multiple tags, but at first just one) applied to it, which will load an associated script that helps define animation

For instance, the creature engine gets instructed to perform a pickup action.
The engine works though the parts and finds that two parts support that action,
picks the part that is most suited to the task (in the case of a pickup action, possibly the nearest part, or strongest, etc),
and runs the associated script

Which will probably be somehing akin to:

pickup script:
find nearest part with hand(?) tag to object in question
If the arm attached to part is not strong enough
find next nearest part, rinse repeat.

Scripts can also be attached to the parts themselves, which can modiy available actions, or even behaviour.
For example:

some crab pincer part script:
add action click.

pince action:
alternate snapping left and right pincers once

hook for walk action:
run action pince.

Therefore, every time the creature walks, as well as moving its legs etc, it will snap its pincers like zoidberg as it scuttles along.

Sooo, a leg part will actually have an action and hook that defines how to actually move those particular legs.
This way, for our crab creature example, the crab leg part could define a completely different way of walking (you know, like sideways)
that differs it from a "normal" leg part.

Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Editors groupings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Editors groupings   Editors groupings EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 4:15 pm

A few things to clear up-
there Will be an organism editor in game, the debate is over whether it will be accessible during gameplay, instead of just a main menu editor.

Your systems sound pretty good, everything is nicely compartmentalized. The patches here are just how i thought they should look.

Part editor will probably not need to be included in the game, but i understand what it is you're doing with it.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

Editors groupings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Editors groupings   Editors groupings EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 9:37 pm

If you could code something to dynamically make parts instead of us having to do it ourselves, that would be great in my opinion.

I just wonder, could we, in any way, encourage the evoltion of our species? Like, how will we interact with them? How can we affect the world around them? That is, however, if any of that is relevant to the topic.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Editors groupings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Editors groupings   Editors groupings EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 8:32 pm

Gameplay>evolution
discussion going on in a thread there.
Back to top Go down
Bashinerox
Programming Team lead
Bashinerox

Editors groupings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Editors groupings   Editors groupings EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 2:59 am

~sciocont wrote:

Part editor will probably not need to be included in the game, but i understand what it is you're doing with it.

Yeah, anything like this, where it is used by devs but not by players, will be in the game, but not accessible without cheats (That way the bug testers can use it QA the game)
Back to top Go down
Bashinerox
Programming Team lead
Bashinerox

Editors groupings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Editors groupings   Editors groupings EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 3:00 am

Bashinerox wrote:
~sciocont wrote:

Yeah, anything like this, where it is used by devs but not by players, will be in the game, but not accessible without cheats (That way the bug testers can use it QA the game)

In fact, 90% of cheats in games are for debugging purposes (There's a reason its called debug mode lol)
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Editors groupings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Editors groupings   Editors groupings EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 4:35 pm

Just remember anything unnecessary, we don't need to switch. One of my favorite games (an fps) got shipped and later people gliched/hacked into a testing map the developer's made. Pretty amusing, but we don't need things like that.
Back to top Go down
DragonEye4
Regular
DragonEye4

Editors groupings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Editors groupings   Editors groupings EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 11:50 am

Would buildings go under the tech editor?
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

Editors groupings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Editors groupings   Editors groupings EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 2:03 pm

DragonEye4 wrote:

Previous statements say "yes", but it could have changed.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Editors groupings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Editors groupings   Editors groupings EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 9:17 pm

DragonEye4 wrote:
Yes.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

Editors groupings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Editors groupings   Editors groupings EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 3:44 am

DragonEye4 wrote:
Definitely yes.
Back to top Go down
DragonEye4
Regular
DragonEye4

Editors groupings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Editors groupings   Editors groupings EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 10:21 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
DragonEye4 wrote:
Definitely yes.
Well, now that I think of it, the creation of technology necessary for the building would be in the tech editor, but would the building style that culture has go in the CUlture editor?
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

Editors groupings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Editors groupings   Editors groupings EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 7:27 pm

That would not be only for buildings, but all tech objects. These styles then would be applied to procedurally generated objects.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Editors groupings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Editors groupings   Editors groupings EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 10:31 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
That would not be only for buildings, but all tech objects. These styles then would be applied to procedurally generated objects.
Procedurally generating techs may be a little far fetched...
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Editors groupings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Editors groupings   Editors groupings EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 8:48 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:

So, AI countries will use just pre-made techs? We could base it around templates, adding random variations depending on the "style" and research level of that civ. That should not be as difficult as procedural from scratch.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Editors groupings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Editors groupings   Editors groupings EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 6:47 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:

So, AI countries will use just pre-made techs? We could base it around templates, adding random variations depending on the "style" and research level of that civ. That should not be as difficult as procedural from scratch.
It does sound better- or we could consider a different approach to the TE entirely, making it more like the OE.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Editors groupings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Editors groupings   Editors groupings EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 8:06 am

The problem with templates is that we will need to create a lot of them, probably counting in thousands, and thats going to take quite a lot of space.

Also, could you explain how do you mean to make the Tech editor more like OE? I just can't imagine it.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

Editors groupings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Editors groupings   Editors groupings EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 5:19 am

Commander Keen wrote:
The problem with templates is that we will need to create a lot of them, probably counting in thousands, and thats going to take quite a lot of space.

Also, could you explain how do you mean to make the Tech editor more like OE? I just can't imagine it.

Do we really need templates? It makes a lot more sense to me to be able to build you tech and critters from the ground up.

Also, I cannot imagine TE being like the OE. Sounds.. weird.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Editors groupings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Editors groupings   Editors groupings EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 6:16 am

InvaderZim wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:

Do we really need templates? It makes a lot more sense to me to be able to build you tech and critters from the ground up.

Also, I cannot imagine TE being like the OE. Sounds.. weird.

These templates should be used only for AI, because procedurally generating techs would be even harder to do than procedural animals. We can make procedural techs for AI after releasing game. Players will of course be able to design from scratch.
Back to top Go down
maker.of.light
Newcomer
maker.of.light

Editors groupings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Editors groupings   Editors groupings EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 2:30 pm

I think tech should be finite because players will be creating all this weird and diffrent tech and they will get confused on how to get to space i mean, if players had to design everything from every part and design all the tech i wouldnt want to play this... i'd think of it as more of a lifetime thing than a game. it would confuse players alot if they designed their tech and all. casual gamers, think about them. they wouldnt want to have to design everything in a game.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Editors groupings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Editors groupings   Editors groupings EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 7:02 pm

Of course, if players will want to leave this (or any other aspect in Strategy mode) to AI, they will be allowed to do. Player's AI will then work like the AI of any other nation.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Editors groupings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Editors groupings   Editors groupings Empty

Back to top Go down

Editors groupings
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next