Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Evolution in Gameplay

Go down 
+23
Deathbite42
FrogEmpire
Djohaal
Albalrogue
Pezzalis
roadkillguy
Commander Keen
YourBreakfast
Noitulove
El_Noumo
eumesmo
Waap
DragonEye4
Falthron
Bashinerox
Invader
PaperGrape
GamerXA
The Uteen
Galox
Poisson
US_of_Alaska
~sciocont
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evolution in Gameplay   Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 9:34 am

Welcome back, Falthron.

i think that idea is maybe too lamarckian, and as a system for a way to evolve it seems too restraining.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

PostSubject: Re: Evolution in Gameplay   Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 2:17 pm

PaperGrape wrote:
This video might help explain it better.It really talks about the issues we speak of at the end. [url= http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=_m97_kL4ox0] http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=_m97_kL4ox0[/url] Polyworld is an attempt to get smart AIs through evolution.

Wait- is Polyworld an "official" project? Like, is Google running it? Could we somehow download Polyworld? Is it OpenSource?
Back to top Go down
Poisson
Regular
Poisson

PostSubject: Re: Evolution in Gameplay   Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 4:40 pm

PaperGrape wrote:
This video might help explain it better.It really talks about the issues we speak of at the end. http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=_m97_kL4ox0 http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=_m97_kL4ox0 Polyworld is an attempt to get smart AIs through evolution.
Fixed.
Back to top Go down
Bashinerox
Programming Team lead
Bashinerox

PostSubject: Re: Evolution in Gameplay   Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 9:32 pm

InvaderZim wrote:
PaperGrape wrote:
This video might help explain it better.It really talks about the issues we speak of at the end. [url= http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=_m97_kL4ox0] http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=_m97_kL4ox0[/url] Polyworld is an attempt to get smart AIs through evolution.

Wait- is Polyworld an "official" project? Like, is Google running it? Could we somehow download Polyworld? Is it OpenSource?

If you are thinking what I am thinking you are thinking (I think I am, B2!), then no. Just no.
Back to top Go down
Falthron
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Evolution in Gameplay   Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 11:16 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Welcome back, Falthron.

i think that idea is maybe too lamarckian, and as a system for a way to evolve it seems too restraining.

Actually is sort of isn't, I'm trying what you said to, mix the two. You see it adds up variables and after X generations the one who survived are those who developed the new features that were usefukl to your life sytle. The more generations in between the more change you can have within it.

Lamarck is the theory that the organisms actions that influeced its abilities will immediately passed on to the next generation.

The difference within mine is that it is the ones who survived using "your" lifestyle developed features to make the lifestyle that was setas the norm easier.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Evolution in Gameplay   Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 12:09 am

Falthron wrote:
Actually is sort of isn't, I'm trying what you said to, mix the two. You see it adds up variables and after X generations the one who survived are those who developed the new features that were usefukl to your life sytle. The more generations in between the more change you can have within it.

Lamarck is the theory that the organisms actions that influeced its abilities will immediately passed on to the next generation.

The difference within mine is that it is the ones who survived using "your" lifestyle developed features to make the lifestyle that was setas the norm easier.
Falthron is speaking the truth, it is probably as close to Darwinian as you can get with equations and such. I think that this was how ParadoxJuice planned to run SuperAutoEvo way back when he existed.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

PostSubject: Re: Evolution in Gameplay   Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 3:03 am

Bashinerox wrote:

If you are thinking what I am thinking you are thinking (I think I am, B2!), then no. Just no.

Oh. Darn.

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Falthron wrote:

Falthron is speaking the truth, it is probably as close to Darwinian as you can get with equations and such. I think that this was how ParadoxJuice planned to run SuperAutoEvo way back when he existed.

I think you are right. It's a near-perfect combination of the two.
Back to top Go down
DragonEye4
Regular
DragonEye4

PostSubject: Re: Evolution in Gameplay   Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 6:16 pm

I vote guided mutations for Organism mode, and Direct edit for God Mode. (although you could use guided mutations in god mode if you wanted to)
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Evolution in Gameplay   Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 11:21 am

I say go Bashi's way, still. Guided mutations would be good as well, i think i talked bout a way to do that in the previous forums.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Evolution in Gameplay   Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 6:25 pm

~sciocont wrote:
I say go Bashi's way, still. Guided mutations would be good as well, i think i talked bout a way to do that in the previous forums.
Do you mean with the direction editor?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Evolution in Gameplay   Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 6:41 pm

No, it was where you chose from a few different offspring that were generated by auto evo. The offspring you choose would be the ones that pop up in game, therefore, you would enhance natural selection before offspring were born.
Back to top Go down
DragonEye4
Regular
DragonEye4

PostSubject: Re: Evolution in Gameplay   Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 9:49 pm

Say, the question of the evolution of the other organisms was never answered. How will they evolve?
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Evolution in Gameplay   Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 16, 2010 2:06 am

DragonEye4 wrote:
Say, the question of the evolution of the other organisms was never answered. How will they evolve?
Most likely through a Lamarckian-Darwinian hybrid.
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

PostSubject: Re: Evolution in Gameplay   Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 16, 2010 2:22 am

We should still test all methods in the actual engine and then choose the most effective one. Nothing can substitute conjecture like actual testing.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Evolution in Gameplay   Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 16, 2010 2:25 am

GamerXA wrote:
We should still test all methods in the actual engine and then choose the most effective one. Nothing can substitute conjecture like actual testing.
Well the engine won't exist for a while, i'm afraid.
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

PostSubject: Re: Evolution in Gameplay   Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 16, 2010 2:28 am

We might be able to test the concept with minor prototypes.
Back to top Go down
Waap
Newcomer
Waap

PostSubject: Re: Evolution in Gameplay   Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 2:44 am

Indeed, we might. And I too am leaning heavily toward darwinian evoution; So far that I am nearly falling off the chair. Metaphorically, of course.*Shifty eyes* I would like to note that quite often, a parent's lifestyle will affect their child's a bit. Just a tad.
-Waap.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Evolution in Gameplay   Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 10:00 am

GamerXA wrote:
That's why Bashi is making a highly modular engine. We can, during testing, switch between different modes of evolution.
Back to top Go down
Waap
Newcomer
Waap

PostSubject: Re: Evolution in Gameplay   Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 12:33 am

Well, that is certainly good. Very good.
-Waap.
Back to top Go down
DragonEye4
Regular
DragonEye4

PostSubject: Re: Evolution in Gameplay   Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 11:00 am

US_of_Alaska wrote:
DragonEye4 wrote:
But I thought that the OP states that evolution without player interaction we would not be able to do?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Evolution in Gameplay   Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 11:05 am

DragonEye4 wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:
DragonEye4 wrote:
But I thought that the OP states that evolution without player interaction we would not be able to do?
No, it states that it would be very difficult. If these animals follow both darwinian and lamarckian rules, they should evolve with the same simplicity that you do, although, since they have little player interaction, they will probably evolve slower.
Back to top Go down
eumesmo
Regular
eumesmo

PostSubject: Re: Evolution in Gameplay   Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 7:05 am

if something that makes you reject Darwinian evolution is the complexity of the world then we should add complexity, like ice ages that change the water levels and temp, droughts, floods, meteor collisions( that actually wipe out species not the spore like meteors that don't even kill you even if fallen in your head) massive coronal ejections, slow atmosphere composition and temperature changes, volcanos and super volcanos, UFOs (that actually change the biosphere with new, removing old or changing current species), earthquakes, hurricanes and .... CONTINENTAL DRIFT. movement of the tectonic plates is probably one of the biggest mutation factors cause it isolates species, makes and destroys habitats and much more.

most of this can be selected with a random math expression only the last one is harder but it's only needed till the space stage and only in your homeworld.

that will improve natural selection work...
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Evolution in Gameplay   Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 12:27 pm

eumesmo wrote:
if something that makes you reject Darwinian evolution is the complexity of the world then we should add complexity, like ice ages that change the water levels and temp, droughts, floods, meteor collisions( that actually wipe out species not the spore like meteors that don't even kill you even if fallen in your head) massive coronal ejections, slow atmosphere composition and temperature changes, volcanos and super volcanos, UFOs (that actually change the biosphere with new, removing old or changing current species), earthquakes, hurricanes and .... CONTINENTAL DRIFT. movement of the tectonic plates is probably one of the biggest mutation factors cause it isolates species, makes and destroys habitats and much more.

most of this can be selected with a random math expression only the last one is harder but it's only needed till the space stage and only in your homeworld.

that will improve natural selection work...
We're going to have all that sort of things. They don't solve the problem of complexity.

Imagine, for a moment, there is a butterfly in Thailand. It flaps its wings. Now, in the real world this will set up a chain of events that could lead to something on a vrey large scale. in a game, we simply can't keep track of everything happening. We're not going to have constant fluid dynamics simulations running, we're not going to factor in the gravitational pull of Jupiter on the butterfly's left leg. Now do you understand the problem better? If we want completely realistic evolution, we need a completely realistic world , which is, at this point itn technology, impossible. We can't even get close on a good modern computer.
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

PostSubject: Re: Evolution in Gameplay   Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 5:42 pm

I believe that's called Chaos Theory, and I don't believe that's been proven to be completely as it says. Even if we can not simulate the universe exactly we may not need to...

Speaking of which.., are we going to keep track of space debris that are large enough to get a sizable effect on the planets life? I believe that we should.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Evolution in Gameplay   Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 6:35 pm

GamerXA wrote:
I believe that's called Chaos Theory, and I don't believe that's been proven to be completely as it says. Even if we can not simulate the universe exactly we may not need to...

Speaking of which.., are we going to keep track of space debris that are large enough to get a sizable effect on the planets life? I believe that we should.
anything big enough to causse noticeable changes will be there, but "keeping track of" isn't really the right term. We'll recognize it when the game decides it's time for an impact or something.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Evolution in Gameplay   Evolution in Gameplay - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Evolution in Gameplay
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next