Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Color of Chlorophil

Go down 
+8
SciFiGamer
Commander Keen
roadkillguy
Mysterious_Calligrapher
US_of_Alaska
~sciocont
Poisson
Tenebrarum
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Color of Chlorophil   Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 3:44 pm

Ohdear. Yes... but.... the chemistry....

Okay. High concentrations of Ozone in the upper reaches of the atmosphere. = blue.
Lots of Iron dust = rusty reddish.

Everything else... I guess I'll start trawling for hypotheticals. This one's a little harder than chlorophyll, because it's dependent on atmospheric structure and chemistry, rather than life taking advantage of physics.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Color of Chlorophil   Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 7:49 pm

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:

Okay. High concentrations of Ozone in the upper reaches of the atmosphere. = blue.

Everything else... I guess I'll start trawling for hypotheticals. This one's a little harder than chlorophyll, because it's dependent on atmospheric structure and chemistry, rather than life taking advantage of physics.

If it's too difficult or obnoxious, don't worry about it. It's even less important.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Color of Chlorophil   Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 8:29 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:

If it's too difficult or obnoxious, don't worry about it. It's even less important.
Atmospheres are going to follow basic gas laws (duh), and will have to have enough of certain gases (o, co2, n) to support life. It shouldn't be too hard. But most planet atmospheres that you will live on will appear blue or green from space I think. Samme from the ground, mostly blue due to the scattering of light by water molecules.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Color of Chlorophil   Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 9:22 am

Now that I think of it, I doubt it's even theoretically possible for life to evolve without an Ozone layer. (Which is created by the reaction of diatomic upper-atmosphere oxygen with the sun,) so an atmosphere sufficiently dense should probably be greenish or blueish, unless there was an overriding factor, such as the dust on Mars. But mars isn't viable, so what am I talking about? It is the thinness of it's atmosphere that gets the dust suspended up there in the first place.

Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Color of Chlorophil   Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 5:21 pm

Now that I think of it, I doubt it's even theoretically possible for life to evolve without an Ozone layer. (Which is created by the reaction of diatomic upper-atmosphere oxygen with the sun,) so an atmosphere sufficiently dense should probably be greenish or blueish, unless there was an overriding factor, such as the dust on Mars. But mars isn't viable, so what am I talking about? It is the thinness of it's atmosphere that gets the dust suspended up there in the first place.

Okay, so in a nutshell: all the planets that matter will have a green or blue sky, and thus will have green-ish or blue oceans.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Color of Chlorophil   Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 9:27 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:

Okay, so in a nutshell: all the planets that matter will have a green or blue sky, and thus will have green-ish or blue oceans.
Oceans will always be blue, since water is blue. But yes, they will on the surface appear a little more green on a green-atmosphered planet.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Color of Chlorophil   Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 11:31 am

Water is refractive. Any color is due to impurities, but to answer Tenebrarum's question, your seas will be blue or greenish blue, period. Much easier for us.
Back to top Go down
WTFBerserk!
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Color of Chlorophil   Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 3:20 pm

So we're going to have all life evolve under oxygen, similar to Earth? What about other planets that might have completely different systems where, say, they might do the opposite and have carbon in the air and the plantlife breaths in oxygen? Would that not be possible?
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Color of Chlorophil   Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 6:12 pm

WTFBerserk! wrote:
So we're going to have all life evolve under oxygen, similar to Earth? What about other planets that might have completely different systems where, say, they might do the opposite and have carbon in the air and the plantlife breaths in oxygen? Would that not be possible?

Two steps back and one to the left while I explain this. Yes. Stand right there.

1. Ozone is not the same as Oxygen. Different molecules. O3 rather than O2.
2. Even on dead planets, there is a percentage of Oxygen in the air, just like any other atmospheric gases. The difference being that there just isn't so much of it. There's more than enough, if your atmosphere has a decent thickness, to be broken up by the UV rays of the sun in the upper atmosphere and produce ozone.
3. The Ozone<-->Oxygen cycle (notice the two way arrow?) in it's simplest form is just cycling between two relatively stable molecules that are made of Oxygen atoms.
4. Photosynthesis increases oxygen in the lower air, it doesn't really interfere with the ozone layer. Unless your plants are stupid enough to introduce CFC's into their environment, which I prefer to think is a human trait.
5. Your CO2 exhaling plants would literally starve to death, because they're putting out more than they're taking in there. See, DNA is made of sugar. So is Glucose. Glucose is the fuel of life as we know it, and it is mostly made of carbon. If your plants are giving away their carbon for free, then it's sorry, you loose good day Sir!
6. It is possible that plant approximations could take in CO (Carbon Monoxide, which we cannot breathe,) but the chemistry isn't as neat.
7. Plants can absorb chemicals in ways other than "breathing." (transpiring, if you want to get technical.)

In summary, and repeat after me:
1. The necessity of an ozone layer has no bearing on the chemical processes of the plants and animals in the game. All it means is less UV exposure for them and a blueish sky.
2. Chemistry is important. I will not attempt to introduce massive amounts of entropy into Calli's classroom.

Good. You may now leave: Class Dismissed.

I hope those questions were answered, any longer and I'll need a spoiler.
Back to top Go down
WTFBerserk!
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Color of Chlorophil   Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 6:47 pm

So you don't think that somewhere out the in the universe that there is some planet with life on it that takes in, say helium or nitrogen? Other than that, I believe you're right on the Ozone thing.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Color of Chlorophil   Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 8:57 pm

Helium: Does not bond with enough stuff to be useful.
Nitrogen: A possibility. It makes some variety of bonds.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Color of Chlorophil   Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 9:10 pm

Helium: Does not bond with anything at all
Nitrogen: A possibility. It makes some variety of bonds.

Nitrogen really can't work for respiration, because it bonds differently than oxygen. You see, bonding is dependent on the number of free electrons in the outer electron shell of an atom. All atoms "want" to have eight electrons in their outer shell, because that makes them stable, or inert, like the noble gases (which include helium and neon). To get more electrons, the atoms bond with other atoms, either sharing electrons with them or taking away/giving away electrons to achieve an outer shell of eight electrons.

Oxygen has 6 outer shell electrons, so it can bond with two other atoms at once and create compounds like Oxygen Difluoride (oxygen bonds to two fluorine atoms, each having 7 electrons in their outer shell.

Nitrogen has only five outer shell electrons, meaning it must bond with more atoms to get a full octet. This is why Carbon dioxide exists, but carbon dinitride can't exist.

And that is why we stick to earth chemistry.
Back to top Go down
WTFBerserk!
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Color of Chlorophil   Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 10:28 pm

The reason I suggested the idea was because I remember seeing a show on the science or discovery channel about the possibility that life on other planets might not use oxygen is it's main element of sustenance.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Color of Chlorophil   Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 12:38 pm

Nitrogen was suggested not exactly as a replacement for oxygen, but as a possible whole new system.
But really, there's a reason that every creature on earth breathes oxygen, and that Nitrogen (also needed by plants,) has to be "fixed" and put in the grould before it can be absorbed.

Earth chem continued, if no one has any more objections.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Color of Chlorophil   Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 9:10 pm

I for one, demand Earth chem and only earth chem until science makes a few more steps forward.
Back to top Go down
WTFBerserk!
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Color of Chlorophil   Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 9:53 pm

It'll make the game a bit more simple, as well.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Color of Chlorophil   Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 11:08 am

Thank you both for simplifying my life. Have some cookies. :cookie:

Huh. The smiley doesn't work.
Back to top Go down
GhengopelALPHA
Newcomer
GhengopelALPHA

PostSubject: Re: Color of Chlorophil   Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 6:33 pm

Back to the color of plants, I'd like to say that for the sake of being science-based, it should not be an automatic, "my star is that color so all plants must be this color" type of display. I like the point that a dark-colored violet plant will be overheated on a planet orbiting a bright blue star. Therefore, I think that it's best if the color of plants are determined by auto-evolve, and quite simply for the purpose of best fitting the energy output of the star. This way, we'll get a majority of plants which have the color required based on the star, but there could be a species or two that has slightly off coloring, a realistic representation, no?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Color of Chlorophil   Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 10:55 pm

GhengopelALPHA wrote:
Back to the color of plants, I'd like to say that for the sake of being science-based, it should not be an automatic, "my star is that color so all plants must be this color" type of display. I like the point that a dark-colored violet plant will be overheated on a planet orbiting a bright blue star. Therefore, I think that it's best if the color of plants are determined by auto-evolve, and quite simply for the purpose of best fitting the energy output of the star. This way, we'll get a majority of plants which have the color required based on the star, but there could be a species or two that has slightly off coloring, a realistic representation, no?
Yes, or we can do what we're already doing and code a range of plant colors for star color. It's simpler and does the same thing.
Back to top Go down
GhengopelALPHA
Newcomer
GhengopelALPHA

PostSubject: Re: Color of Chlorophil   Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 11:40 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Yes, or we can do what we're already doing and code a range of plant colors for star color. It's simpler and does the same thing.
Well I was thinking that auto-evo would be more interesting, but I suppose the color can still be simply found by the color of the star. Just thinking about in galactic stage if we ever allow plants and animals to be placed on planets which they aren't native to, it might be better to have auto-evo handle it.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Color of Chlorophil   Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 12:16 pm

GhengopelALPHA wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Well I was thinking that auto-evo would be more interesting, but I suppose the color can still be simply found by the color of the star. Just thinking about in galactic stage if we ever allow plants and animals to be placed on planets which they aren't native to, it might be better to have auto-evo handle it.
True, but I think normal auto-evo shouldn't be affected by colour. It would be annoying to have a predator get an advantage, and you respond by turning cerulean. An extra random mutation per generation strictly to change the colour, perhaps? That would keep things looking different to if a colour change was just very unlikely.
Back to top Go down
GhengopelALPHA
Newcomer
GhengopelALPHA

PostSubject: Re: Color of Chlorophil   Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 1:49 pm

The Uteen wrote:
GhengopelALPHA wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
True, but I think normal auto-evo shouldn't be affected by colour. It would be annoying to have a predator get an advantage, and you respond by turning cerulean. An extra random mutation per generation strictly to change the colour, perhaps? That would keep things looking different to if a colour change was just very unlikely.

Why have the color of a species separated from other auto-evo functions? It has an element of natural selection, so there could always be an evolutionary reason for color changes.

PS: My posts should be read in an American accent, btw.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Color of Chlorophil   Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 6:08 pm

GhengopelALPHA wrote:

Why have the color of a species separated from other auto-evo functions? It has an element of natural selection, so there could always be an evolutionary reason for color changes.

I see your point, and we're doing our best to cover that. In an ideal world, we'll be able to cover camouflage. That's something we really want to be able to do, as it is particularly endemic of the natural world. When it comes to chlorophyll though, including it in auto-evo would b=certainly be cooler and more fun, but not at all simpler. In order to fit it in, we then have to add equations for overheating, the rate of absorption of energy, and color's effect on both of these. It's a lot of work for such a minor point in the game, and I only proposed the idea of consistent chlorophyll in the hopes of "Oh hey, that's kindof neat." We're trying to simplify and cut down right now, and honestly, I'd rather see this cut than language or disease.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Color of Chlorophil   Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 6:13 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
GhengopelALPHA wrote:

I see your point, and we're doing our best to cover that. In an ideal world, we'll be able to cover camouflage. That's something we really want to be able to do, as it is particularly endemic of the natural world. When it comes to chlorophyll though, including it in auto-evo would b=certainly be cooler and more fun, but not at all simpler. In order to fit it in, we then have to add equations for overheating, the rate of absorption of energy, and color's effect on both of these. It's a lot of work for such a minor point in the game, and I only proposed the idea of consistent chlorophyll in the hopes of "Oh hey, that's kindof neat." We're trying to simplify and cut down right now, and honestly, I'd rather see this cut than language or disease.
QFT
It's the same reason we'll code in classes for heads, limbs, etc into the OE. It's way easier to do it the fast way, and works much better in the game.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Color of Chlorophil   Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 6:15 pm

~sciocont wrote:

It's the same reason we'll code in classes for heads, limbs, etc into the OE. It's way easier to do it the fast way, and works much better in the game.
Not to mention that the simpler the code is, the few bugs we'll have and the easier they'll be to remove.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Color of Chlorophil   Color of Chlorophil - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Color of Chlorophil
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Thrive Game Development :: Development :: Design :: Editors :: Organism-
Jump to: