Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay

Go down 
+7
The Uteen
Agrestrife
caekdaemon
ParadoxJuice
Djohaal
US_of_Alaska
Tenebrarum
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay Empty
PostSubject: A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay   A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 5:36 pm

Now, for those of you who don't know, I'm the one who actually coined the term "God Mode" when describing my idea for what is now Strategy Mode. (Made as a joke in reference to the nature of most Strategy games' failiur to put you in a position of leadership but instead making you more like an aloof sky-god.) Obviously as people began adding the new ideas of what we now call Post-Ascention Gameplay, I was strongly opposed, it took away all the challenge. Even as it came into it's current form I have been wary of the idea. I see no fun in the idea.

Now, recently I saw a production of A Midsummer Night's Dream at the University of Delaware. In one scene, Oberon tells his servant Puck to fetch a rare and magical flower. In this production, Puck existed the stage by gleefully leaping into a well diguised trap door, and so seemingly disappeering into the ground.

Suddenly I got it.

I had been thinking about God Mode in terms of my own God. A subtle, back-stage manipulater who never really did anything you can see. When seeing that scene I realized that while that's all well and good, Post-Ascention Gameplay should be made not to favor that, but to play like the ancient, mythical Gods. Tricksters, weirdos, drunkards, teasing and joking and playing eternities away. Instead of turning the Universe into one big editor (Which should be done too, but you get what I mean), let the player explore their new found power in other ways. Allow them to manifest themselves as an organism. Let this organism fly, and breath anywhere, and hover, and walk through walls and the very planet itself. Let them find some primitive civilization and confuse and terrify them by suddenly appearing on a pedestal and dancing like a lunatic. Let them change their appearance and the appearance of others. Let them be Puck.

Sorry, just saying I finally got how this could be an actual fun game-mode you'd want to work for.

EDIT: Comment if you agree/disagree
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay   A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 1:25 am

You understand, finally. But it should also be for those who want to create something they've always wanted. Someone with a very specific idea of a certain race they've dreamed up can do it God Mode. But yes, i think i'd make a right good Loki...
Back to top Go down
Djohaal
Learner
Djohaal

PostSubject: Re: A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay   A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 11:45 am

Tenebrarum wrote:

I had been thinking about God Mode in terms of my own God. A subtle, back-stage manipulater who never really did anything you can see. When seeing that scene I realized that while that's all well and good, Post-Ascention Gameplay should be made not to favor that, but to play like the ancient, mythical Gods. Tricksters, weirdos, drunkards, teasing and joking and playing eternities away. Instead of turning the Universe into one big editor (Which should be done too, but you get what I mean), let the player explore their new found power in other ways. Allow them to manifest themselves as an organism. Let this organism fly, and breath anywhere, and hover, and walk through walls and the very planet itself. Let them find some primitive civilization and confuse and terrify them by suddenly appearing on a pedestal and dancing like a lunatic. Let them change their appearance and the appearance of others. Let them be Puck.

Quoted for truth.
But yes playing "god mode" (or observer-mode-with-god-tools for the pedantic) should allow us to manifest ourselves , perhaps we could get to chose which organism we want to look like? That way you could impersonate several gods to the mortals's disdain.
I think with some AI coding we could even make they recognize their deities differently.
Back to top Go down
ParadoxJuice
Newcomer
ParadoxJuice

PostSubject: Re: A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay   A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 12:33 pm

Or maybe there would just be a God Tool which gives an organism superpowers.
Back to top Go down
caekdaemon
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay   A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 1:03 pm

ParadoxJuice wrote:
I don't think that's what they meant.

I actually think this is a good idea. Let the player have this kind of power, it would make the game even more fun.
Back to top Go down
Agrestrife
Newcomer
Agrestrife

PostSubject: Re: A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay   A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 3:53 pm

I think that is a great idea. although, what would be very fun is wars between different gods, (like in runescape if anybody here got that into it) with different people beliving in different things and people doing miracles (like profits) but that is stopped by it all being one big minipulating nothing-but-like-thing-thing. It would better if there were more big minipulating nothings.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay   A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 4:00 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
In this production, Puck existed the stage by gleefully leaping into a well diguised trap door, and so seemingly disappeering into the ground.

Suddenly I got it.

That is the most random thing I have ever heard.

Apart from that, no comment. And what is Agrestrife talking about? I didn't really get a word of that... Except for thing...
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay   A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 4:16 pm

ParadoxJuice wrote:

To be frank, just what I was thinking.

We need to start actually discussing this, far though it may seem, the relationship with an org mode style post-ascension is going to have with our engine will determine alot of the things we'll be able to do. We need to descide what we want fairly early on.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay   A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 6:31 pm

ParadoxJuice wrote:

Well, there is. The OE.

Step 1 - Use OE on organism of your choice
Step 2 - Implant hyperadvanced cybernetics
Step 3 - Watch him become superhero
Back to top Go down
ParadoxJuice
Newcomer
ParadoxJuice

PostSubject: Re: A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay   A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 9:24 pm

Well, that's not really what I meant.

I guess that was a silly suggestion, though, since omnipotent powers are accessed through a menu instead of a separate mode, so you could access them through organism mode.

Sorry about that. I'm still used to the older Evolutions! concepts.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay   A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 10:07 pm

I like it. Attatching God Mode and observer mode sounds like a lot of fun - whether surveying your own creations or exploring your neighbors.
(PS: guys, I'm pretty sure the "superpowers" were suggested as being applied to one individual organism - whichever one you were playing as an incarnation. Though you could probably use your OE to create a caste of superheroes or whatever... which would still be fun.)
I think it's good to integrate the "sandbox" and interactive parts of the game. While I like building, regardless of the game, there's always a bit of anticlimax when you're done - this will keep people from focusing on the god mode and becoming burnt out, and move them back into normal gameplay.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay   A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 12:19 pm

I think Keen was talking about using the OE on one organism, therefore changing that one organism. But then how do you change them all?
Hm...
Ah...
A simple choice when you save: Apply to one, or apply to all?
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay   A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 1:21 pm

Yeah, I was talking about one organism.

You just found a huge hole in the Godly Tools concept. I think we should just implement a Godly Selection tool, select things we want to modify and run the appropriate editor.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay   A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 6:28 pm

I think post-ascension gameplay should have no restrictions at all. Let the player do whatever they want, whenever they want, wherever they want.
Back to top Go down
kaosrain
Newcomer
kaosrain

PostSubject: Re:nature of post ascension gameplay   A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 6:45 pm

god of war book:....and then kaosrain the lord of kytiis kicked kratos belgium
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay   A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 9:58 pm

~sciocont wrote:
I think post-ascension gameplay should have no restrictions at all. Let the player do whatever they want, whenever they want, wherever they want.
As lovely as that sounds, remember that we have to program every single ability we want the player to have. That's how games work.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay   A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 10:13 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
As lovely as that sounds, remember that we have to program every single ability we want the player to have. That's how games work.
I know, i'm saying we take off all of the restrictions- you can control any organism you see, for instance, instead of just a member of your species/nation.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay   A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 10:22 pm

~sciocont wrote:
I know, i'm saying we take off all of the restrictions- you can control any organism you see, for instance, instead of just a member of your species/nation.
Got it. Still. A lot of ths stuff, the superpowers for instance, we'll have to sit down and talk about.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay   A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 10:29 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Got it. Still. A lot of ths stuff, the superpowers for instance, we'll have to sit down and talk about.
Most things you could do with superpowers would be god tools anyway, right?
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay   A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 1:28 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Most things you could do with superpowers would be god tools anyway, right?
That's basically the idea.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay   A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 5:04 pm

Superpowers and godtools are synonymous, but my point is, we have to descide on what we'll have.

Can I make creatures fall in love? Can I transfigure others? Can I make one creature immortal? Can I fly through the ground? Can I teleport? Can I run at the speed of sound? Can I breath fire? Can I have laser-vision? X-ray vision? Can I haz cheezburger?
Back to top Go down
kaosrain
Newcomer
kaosrain

PostSubject: Re: A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay   A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 5:14 pm

yes,yes,yes,yes,yes to the infinite
the trouble is coding that great quantity of magical god stuff( and its a lot unrealistic )
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay   A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 11:22 pm

kaosrain wrote:
yes,yes,yes,yes,yes to the infinite
the trouble is coding that great quantity of magical god stuff( and its a lot unrealistic )
Basically, i think the whole "greek god" asthetic will help us a lot here- you won't be perfect, you won't be all powerful, but you will have a lot of powers available to you. However, I think thios should just be covered by the god tools you already have.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay   A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay EmptyFri Dec 17, 2010 2:18 pm

I'm not sure about flying through the ground. Teleporting, yes, but going through the ground is just...

1. Boring
  2. Pointless
  3. Glitchy (what happens if you stop when in the ground? Buried alive, or burnt in the planet's core. Which leads into...)
  4. Dangerous
  5. Impossible (Well, these are god tools, but still...)
  6. Possibly hard to program, too.

And yeah, god tools should cover everything. (except going through the ground! )

Last edited by The Uteen on Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Djohaal
Learner
Djohaal

PostSubject: Re: A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay   A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay EmptyFri Dec 17, 2010 2:59 pm

The Uteen wrote:
I'm not sure about flying through the ground. Teleporting, yes, but going through the ground is just...

[list=1][*]Boring
[*]Pointless
[*]Glitchy (what happens if you stop when in the ground? Buried alive, or burnt in the planet's core. Which leads into...)
[*]Dangerous
[*]Impossible (Well, these are god tools, but still...)
[*]Possibly hard to program, too.

And yeah, god tools should cover everything. (except going through the ground! )

Flying trough the ground difficult to program? It is easier to do than having a charachter walk on a surface. Ever heard of "noclip" options for games such as FPSs and such?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay   A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay Empty

Back to top Go down

A Brief Post on the Nature of Post-Ascention Gameplay
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next