Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Questions on the Periodic Table Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Questions on the Periodic Table Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Questions on the Periodic Table Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Questions on the Periodic Table Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Questions on the Periodic Table Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Questions on the Periodic Table Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Questions on the Periodic Table Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Questions on the Periodic Table Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Questions on the Periodic Table Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Questions on the Periodic Table Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Questions on the Periodic Table Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Questions on the Periodic Table Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Questions on the Periodic Table Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Questions on the Periodic Table Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Questions on the Periodic Table Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Questions on the Periodic Table Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Questions on the Periodic Table Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Questions on the Periodic Table Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Questions on the Periodic Table Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Questions on the Periodic Table Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Questions on the Periodic Table

Go down 
+6
Commander Keen
The Uteen
caekdaemon
eumesmo
Poisson
MassimoV
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MassimoV
Newcomer

Questions on the Periodic Table Empty
PostSubject: Questions on the Periodic Table   Questions on the Periodic Table EmptyWed Nov 03, 2010 9:15 pm

I was just wondering how the periodic table would effect the chemical role in gameplay. To start, if a race invents a cyclotron, could you edit the table to have an extra line or insert? Also, would you name the new elements and element 113 through 118? Aswell as would we call element 112 Ununbium or Copernicium? Plus, would there be an island of stability around 120 or 122? Calculations have proven it might be possible. One more thing, from a gameplay stand point, should we process the atom selection before fusion by first choosing a target atom and then a projectile atom, and should we make new element's atomic number the sum of the two starting atoms? Just some things I was thinking about.
Back to top Go down
Poisson
Regular
Poisson

PostSubject: Re: Questions on the Periodic Table   Questions on the Periodic Table EmptyWed Nov 03, 2010 9:44 pm

I think that all elements should just keep their names, and as new properties and elements are discovered, we should release the appropriate updates.

As to the naming of elements like ununbium => Copernicum, the former is simply a placeholder, so Copernicum would be the name we use.

Making new elements? I don't know if we should do that. We don't know what is going to work and what won't, so for realism's sake I think we should wait for real data.
Back to top Go down
MassimoV
Newcomer

PostSubject: response to post   Questions on the Periodic Table EmptyWed Nov 03, 2010 10:25 pm

I meant for the renaming of 112 to 118, not all of them. And thanks for the feedback.
Back to top Go down
Poisson
Regular
Poisson

PostSubject: Re: Questions on the Periodic Table   Questions on the Periodic Table EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 1:07 am

MassimoV wrote:
I meant for the renaming of 112 to 118, not all of them. And thanks for the feedback.
I'm guessing it was accident, but please don't make a new thread for each answer to a topic.

Ah, that's what you meant. I personally think it would be better to just leave the names as is.
Back to top Go down
eumesmo
Regular
eumesmo

PostSubject: Re: Questions on the Periodic Table   Questions on the Periodic Table EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 5:00 am

names as it is, changing to random names is possible as long as you can see the real ones in the list. The form of it will change over time and such (i have a phisics lesson bout that today so it's easier if i answer later). But if we take the fact that noble gases take longer to discover then we need a chronology. The new elelments are discovered the stronger the cylclotron is, and the stability island is in element 126. We should allow the players to discover new elements but with the box (this is a extremely radioactive and short lived element, it's impossible to know furthermore) if people click help they'd get linked to the wikipedia's page on the periodic table or such....
Back to top Go down
caekdaemon
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Questions on the Periodic Table   Questions on the Periodic Table EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 12:51 pm

Id imagine you would see the periodic table on something like a resource menu. Elements you have not discovered are shrouded in black smoke, meaning you cant see them. On elements you have discovered, you see your races name for it, its real name, and various other things like atomic weight once it has been discovered.
Back to top Go down
eumesmo
Regular
eumesmo

PostSubject: Re: Questions on the Periodic Table   Questions on the Periodic Table EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 1:40 pm

yes! a atomic model should be shown on top, changing with the advancement of time. when you have no elements discovered the menu shouldnt be accessible, and when you have that earth/fire/air/water element idea, those should be the ones shown, till you discover they are not
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Questions on the Periodic Table   Questions on the Periodic Table EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 3:03 pm

If we are including a periodic table, will we actually be programming all the different elements and compounds properties, along with possible reactions? If we are, will we then include temperatures for changing of states of matter, solubility, and basically give the game an A level knowledge of chemistry?
If we don't, but do include a periodic table, I'm sure people will have objections.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Questions on the Periodic Table   Questions on the Periodic Table EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 4:22 pm

The Uteen wrote:
basically give the game an A level knowledge of chemistry
If we don't, but do include a periodic table, I'm sure people will have objections.

Why? If we include periodic table just as a reference without much gameplay impact (it isn't going to be used in TE or reserach), why would anyone have objections?

Also, why to include the species name to everything? If it is something that hasn't got it's English equivalent, then it's ok, but otherwise players will still use mostly English names.
Back to top Go down
Poisson
Regular
Poisson

PostSubject: Re: Questions on the Periodic Table   Questions on the Periodic Table EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 7:50 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
The Uteen wrote:

Why? If we include periodic table just as a reference without much gameplay impact (it isn't going to be used in TE or reserach), why would anyone have objections?

Also, why to include the species name to everything? If it is something that hasn't got it's English equivalent, then it's ok, but otherwise players will still use mostly English names.
Because the game needs to know how to actually make elements work.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Questions on the Periodic Table   Questions on the Periodic Table EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 11:10 am

Poisson wrote:
Because the game needs to know how to actually make elements work.

Why would it? Unless you want to implement a simulation of chemical laboratory in the game, we just need to include relatively common compounds (including those rarer such as diamonds).
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Questions on the Periodic Table   Questions on the Periodic Table EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 11:44 am

Commander Keen wrote:
The Uteen wrote:

Who's going to bother looking at it if they don't need to use it?

A player seeing that we included a periodic table wrote:
Uh hu...
I want some chocolate...
Mmmmm... Chocolatey goodness... *Drool*... I like lickin' chocolate 'til it's gone...

See what I mean? The super-mouse man in my head just isn't interested.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Questions on the Periodic Table   Questions on the Periodic Table EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 4:34 pm

The Uteen wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:

Then you have found a reason why including it would be pointless, it doesn't have to be included
Back to top Go down
Poisson
Regular
Poisson

PostSubject: Re: Questions on the Periodic Table   Questions on the Periodic Table EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 6:59 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:

Then you have found a reason why including it would be pointless, it doesn't have to be included
Yeah, it's just a science game. Why would we need something as useless as *scoff* a periodic table? It's not like it has been any use at all to our species since it's development or anything. [/sarcasm]

Seriously? You are actually advocating that we do not include a periodic table?
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Questions on the Periodic Table   Questions on the Periodic Table EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 7:10 pm

Poisson wrote:
Yeah, it's just a science game. Why would we need something as useless as *scoff* a periodic table? It's not like it has been any use at all to our species since it's development or anything. [/sarcasm]

If it has no effect on gameplay, or would be to hard to code, than yes. Certain things will have to be there, but the entire table will not be constantly going through the reactions it should.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Questions on the Periodic Table   Questions on the Periodic Table EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 7:39 pm

MassimoV wrote:
I was just wondering how the periodic table would effect the chemical role in gameplay. To start, if a race invents a cyclotron, could you edit the table to have an extra line or insert? Also, would you name the new elements and element 113 through 118? Aswell as would we call element 112 Ununbium or Copernicium? Plus, would there be an island of stability around 120 or 122? Calculations have proven it might be possible. One more thing, from a gameplay stand point, should we process the atom selection before fusion by first choosing a target atom and then a projectile atom, and should we make new element's atomic number the sum of the two starting atoms? Just some things I was thinking about.
We really don't need to concern ourselves with atomic properties, and 112-118 decay too quickly to be of any real use in gameplay, as do most very heavy elements. As a chemistry whiz, i'd love to have the game involve a little chemistry, but at this time, i really don't see the need to bring it up.
Back to top Go down
Poisson
Regular
Poisson

PostSubject: Re: Questions on the Periodic Table   Questions on the Periodic Table EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 9:23 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Poisson wrote:

If it has no effect on gameplay,
It certainly would.
Quote :
or would be to hard to code,
Okay, I can see what you're getting at there, and I think I remember a discussion about this before.
Quote :
than yes. Certain things will have to be there, but the entire table will not be constantly going through the reactions it should.
So what do you propose instead?
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Questions on the Periodic Table   Questions on the Periodic Table EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 4:15 am

Poisson wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:
Poisson wrote:

If it has no effect on gameplay,
It certainly would.
Quote :
or would be to hard to code,
Okay, I can see what you're getting at there, and I think I remember a discussion about this before.
Quote :
than yes. Certain things will have to be there, but the entire table will not be constantly going through the reactions it should.
Making a game? We can't seriously simulate all the chemical reactions that happen at all points in the universe, Poisson. Else we wouldn't need anything else for this game.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Questions on the Periodic Table   Questions on the Periodic Table EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 8:59 am

I shall give an example...

A player sees the periodic table in our game, and thinks:
'Cool, the makers thought about elements and chemistry while making this game!'
That gets them thinking about chemistry,
'Hmm, I get some steel, now I heat it... What? No oxidisation? Rubbish! This is supposed to be realistic! Nothing works!'

Have I got my point across yet?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Questions on the Periodic Table   Questions on the Periodic Table EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 10:06 am

I can't think of any time the player would actually need a periodic table themselves- however, it should be a research item.
Back to top Go down
Poisson
Regular
Poisson

PostSubject: Re: Questions on the Periodic Table   Questions on the Periodic Table EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 2:42 pm

~sciocont wrote:
I can't think of any time the player would actually need a periodic table themselves- however, it should be a research item.
What would be required for it?
Back to top Go down
Poisson
Regular
Poisson

PostSubject: Re: Questions on the Periodic Table   Questions on the Periodic Table EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 2:43 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Poisson wrote:
Making a game? We can't seriously simulate all the chemical reactions that happen at all points in the universe, Poisson. Else we wouldn't need anything else for this game.
Where did I say simulate every chemical reaction? We do need to have some chemistry going on.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Questions on the Periodic Table   Questions on the Periodic Table EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 8:11 pm

The only place it should be anywhere near a proper reaction is in the Tech Editor. ANd that would just calculate what is going on so that in-game, it can replicate the effect without having to have the conditions again. Make sense?
Back to top Go down
Poisson
Regular
Poisson

PostSubject: Re: Questions on the Periodic Table   Questions on the Periodic Table EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 1:40 am

US_of_Alaska wrote:
The only place it should be anywhere near a proper reaction is in the Tech Editor. ANd that would just calculate what is going on so that in-game, it can replicate the effect without having to have the conditions again. Make sense?
It does.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Questions on the Periodic Table   Questions on the Periodic Table EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 4:25 pm

Poisson wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
What would be required for it?
Research in atomic theory and chemistry.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Questions on the Periodic Table   Questions on the Periodic Table Empty

Back to top Go down

Questions on the Periodic Table
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next