Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
 Space Summary - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
 Space Summary - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
 Space Summary - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
 Space Summary - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
 Space Summary - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
 Space Summary - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
 Space Summary - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
 Space Summary - Page 2 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
 Space Summary - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
 Space Summary - Page 2 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
 Space Summary - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
 Space Summary - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
 Space Summary - Page 2 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
 Space Summary - Page 2 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
 Space Summary - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
 Space Summary - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
 Space Summary - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
 Space Summary - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
 Space Summary - Page 2 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
 Space Summary - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Space Summary

Go down 
+18
sumwun18
doom3607
fredpie
Darkgamma
FrogEmpire
Poisson
Tenebrarum
Redstar
Pezzalis
StarMage42
US_of_Alaska
The Uteen
Slathazer
koiboi59
Commander Keen
DragonEye4
~sciocont
Invader
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

Space Summary - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Space Summary    Space Summary - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 1:42 am

Psychic Powers? Link or it's impossible.
Back to top Go down
FrogEmpire
Newcomer
FrogEmpire

PostSubject: Re: Space Summary    Space Summary - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 5:51 am

Link to what? A wiki or something?

I'm thinking somthing like the Advent in Sins of a Solar Empire. They're awesome. The integrate advanced technology to give themselves psychic powers. Otherwise, the race could evolve the powers naturally [which would take a long time/lot of sacrifices in other fields of evolution].
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Space Summary    Space Summary - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 1:08 pm

FrogEmpire wrote:

I'm thinking somthing like the Advent in Sins of a Solar Empire. They're awesome. The integrate advanced technology to give themselves psychic powers. Otherwise, the race could evolve the powers naturally [which would take a long time/lot of sacrifices in other fields of evolution].
I'm not sure how a race would evolve psychic powers naturally either...

But as for technological psychic powers, I see two ways it could be done: Bluetooth or Wifi.

If you ask me, wifi would be less favourable, you might get too many thoughts coming into your head...

...Like this guy:
Back to top Go down
fredpie
Newcomer

Location : The Great British Isles, home of rainy weather and afternoon tea.

PostSubject: Re: Space Summary    Space Summary - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 5:51 pm

The Uteen wrote:
FrogEmpire wrote:

But as for technological psychic powers, I see two ways it could be done: Bluetooth or Wifi.

If you ask me, wifi would be less favourable, you might get too many thoughts coming into your head...

...Like this guy:
So bacically using bluetooth hax to read someones thoughts? Kinda creepy, but functional.
Though how would it work? Would your creature have to be microchipped at birth?
Back to top Go down
FrogEmpire
Newcomer
FrogEmpire

PostSubject: Re: Space Summary    Space Summary - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 6:38 pm

Quote :

Like in Stargate... like 80% advanced brain fuctioning or some jazz like that...

Lemme explain. Human brain functions are higher then animals, right? Yeah, so it's like that just we're the animals with lesser brain functions [ie no psychic powers] and the ancient alien empire are the humans, with higher brain functions [ie psychic powers].

That probly wasn't a very good explaination but its the best i can come up with for now...

Quote :

We could have some kinda seperate sub-tech tree for psychic powers [along with many other stuff] where you start off with just sharing thoughts like your wifi/bluetooth thing, and you eventually invent technology that allows you to physically manipulate objects with your mind [ie telekinesis(through somthing that amplifies your will maybe? just an idea)]. I any case, Ascended beings should get natural psychic powers.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Space Summary    Space Summary - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 7:55 pm

FrogEmpire wrote:
Quote :

Like in Stargate... like 80% advanced brain fuctioning or some jazz like that...

Lemme explain. Human brain functions are higher then animals, right? Yeah, so it's like that just we're the animals with lesser brain functions [ie no psychic powers] and the ancient alien empire are the humans, with higher brain functions [ie psychic powers].

That probly wasn't a very good explaination but its the best i can come up with for now...

Quote :

We could have some kinda seperate sub-tech tree for psychic powers [along with many other stuff] where you start off with just sharing thoughts like your wifi/bluetooth thing, and you eventually invent technology that allows you to physically manipulate objects with your mind [ie telekinesis(through somthing that amplifies your will maybe? just an idea)]. I any case, Ascended beings should get natural psychic powers.
I'm going to vote no for psychic powers, because science fiction and science are not quite the same thing... And Ascension is different, it's supposed to give you limitless power.
Back to top Go down
FrogEmpire
Newcomer
FrogEmpire

PostSubject: Re: Space Summary    Space Summary - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 4:51 am

And since when was ascension scientific?
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Space Summary    Space Summary - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 11:12 am

FrogEmpire wrote:
And since when was ascension scientific?

Good point, but we need to award the player with God tools somehow, so it's been included.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Space Summary    Space Summary - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 3:43 pm

Yes, we want scientificness, the thing that's apparently not a word.

Psychic abilities - Possible, if you understand cognitive psychology and cognitive neuroscience and can combine it with wireless technology to produce something like a mind chatroom.

Psychic powers - not possible, you can run a pulse of energy (basically what thinking is) through your brain, and send that signal to someone else, but all that could really do it give a tiny electric shock, if that. You really couldn't enslave the galaxy through tiny electric shocks. (Or can you? )

Ascension - Admittedly not possible, but we are including it so that we have a 'sandbox' in the game. This is one of the few times we sacrifice science for gameplay.
Back to top Go down
FrogEmpire
Newcomer
FrogEmpire

PostSubject: Re: Space Summary    Space Summary - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 4:09 am

Quote :
not possible, you can run a pulse of energy (basically what thinking is) through your brain, and send that signal to someone else, but all that could really do it give a tiny electric shock, if that. You really couldn't enslave the galaxy through tiny electric shocks.

How about some kind of technology that amplifies the signal? This is advenced other-worldly technology we're talking about, not just a prediction of what the human race will evolve to...
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Space Summary    Space Summary - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 4:25 pm

FrogEmpire wrote:
Quote :
not possible, you can run a pulse of energy (basically what thinking is) through your brain, and send that signal to someone else, but all that could really do it give a tiny electric shock, if that. You really couldn't enslave the galaxy through tiny electric shocks.

How about some kind of technology that amplifies the signal? This is advenced other-worldly technology we're talking about, not just a prediction of what the human race will evolve to...

Well, you could probably make machines that can recognise brain patterns and translate them into images and/or words in the very distant future, so what you could do:

Step 1: Get direct access to all godly technologies available (very hard, they would be in space and be huge, and I'd say there would be only 1 in the whole galaxy. They would cost incredibly unbelievable amounts of money, maybe all the money in the galaxy. The only way to obtain one for yourself would be getting a huge fleet of ships. But another godly technology could just wipe you from existence easily, it would basically be like going to war with god). You would need all the godly techs, and a vast area to store incredible machines which can collectively do everything possible. This array would quite probably span a whole solar system sized space. Power them all by harnessing the power of millions of stars.

Step 2: A computer that can recognise brain patterns and convert them into computer commands, something very, very complicated and difficult. Such a machine would be very expensive and large.

Step 3: Wire yourself up to the computer, after wiring all of the technology together into one vast system with the power to do anything.

Step 4: Move the whole array to a space between the galaxies, far from anything in more dimensions than the basic 3. Set up a force field of some sort around the whole thing, something which would make the whole thing use up a whole galaxy of stars worth of galaxies. Get a dyson sphere around it too, for extra protection.

Step 5: Make sure nothing can get to you, keep a constant eye out for anything trying to attack.

Step 6: Think, and it will happen.

After all this, involving an army of millions of the greatest battleships created in the whole universe, a millions of billions of stars worth of energy, a vast area of empty space.

To get all of this, you would probably need everything you are aiming to get by having everything you need to get everything you need to get to get everything you get.

Sounds pretty hard to me.

It would be a lot easier to just get ascension.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Space Summary    Space Summary - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 4:26 pm

FrogEmpire wrote:
Quote :

Yes, but unless we see science on how it would work, we can't vouge for it like we can, say, chemical engineering.
Back to top Go down
FrogEmpire
Newcomer
FrogEmpire

PostSubject: Re: Space Summary    Space Summary - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 6:00 pm

Good point

@Uteen: From what I recall, the humans are pretty close to inventing/discovering a way to do what I said, they already [I think] have computers that can be controlled by thought with some monitering pad-thing stuck to the head or something like that. I'm not sure, though, it's something I saw on the news as a young kid so I probly didn't fully understand it... wait a sec I'll google it...

Yep found it... I'm not insane after all...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain%E2%80%93computer_interface
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Space Summary    Space Summary - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 8:53 pm

FrogEmpire wrote:
Good point

@Uteen: From what I recall, the humans are pretty close to inventing/discovering a way to do what I said, they already [I think] have computers that can be controlled by thought with some monitering pad-thing stuck to the head or something like that. I'm not sure, though, it's something I saw on the news as a young kid so I probly didn't fully understand it... wait a sec I'll google it...

Recent experiments have read video images from the minds of subjects. They aren't perfect, but you can make out the general images.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Space Summary    Space Summary - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 6:59 am

~sciocont wrote:
FrogEmpire wrote:
Good point

Recent experiments have read video images from the minds of subjects. They aren't perfect, but you can make out the general images.

But you're missing the point!

To be able to do anything you want with psychic powers, you would need machines that can do all the things you want to do. An image can't transport you downstairs every morning, an image can't pour you a glass of lemonade, and make it hover over to you...

That's why I said you would need every god tool possible, because together they could fulfil anything you wanted doing, giving you the power to do anything you wanted with your mind: Psychic powers.
Back to top Go down
doom3607
Newcomer
doom3607

PostSubject: Re: Space Summary    Space Summary - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 8:17 pm

The Uteen wrote:
FrogEmpire wrote:
Quote :

Well, you could probably make machines that can recognise brain patterns and translate them into images and/or words in the very distant future, so what you could do:

Step 1: Get direct access to all godly technologies available (very hard, they would be in space and be huge, and I'd say there would be only 1 in the whole galaxy. They would cost incredibly unbelievable amounts of money, maybe all the money in the galaxy. The only way to obtain one for yourself would be getting a huge fleet of ships. But another godly technology could just wipe you from existence easily, it would basically be like going to war with god). You would need all the godly techs, and a vast area to store incredible machines which can collectively do everything possible. This array would quite probably span a whole solar system sized space. Power them all by harnessing the power of millions of stars.

Step 2: A computer that can recognise brain patterns and convert them into computer commands, something very, very complicated and difficult. Such a machine would be very expensive and large.

Step 3: Wire yourself up to the computer, after wiring all of the technology together into one vast system with the power to do anything.

Step 4: Move the whole array to a space between the galaxies, far from anything in more dimensions than the basic 3. Set up a force field of some sort around the whole thing, something which would make the whole thing use up a whole galaxy of stars worth of galaxies. Get a dyson sphere around it too, for extra protection.

Step 5: Make sure nothing can get to you, keep a constant eye out for anything trying to attack.

Step 6: Think, and it will happen.

After all this, involving an army of millions of the greatest battleships created in the whole universe, a millions of billions of stars worth of energy, a vast area of empty space.

To get all of this, you would probably need everything you are aiming to get by having everything you need to get everything you need to get to get everything you get.

Sounds pretty hard to me.

It would be a lot easier to just get ascension.

You mean giving myself psychic powers is that easy? I'll have them within a week of this game coming out, guaranteed!
Back to top Go down
Poisson
Regular
Poisson

PostSubject: Re: Space Summary    Space Summary - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 9:06 pm

FrogEmpire wrote:
Quote :

Unless controling how fast your heart beats is what they're calling psychic nowadays, it doesn't matter how much of your brain you control, you won't get psychic powers. All you'll likely do is wind up being able to kill yourself more easily (stopping heartbeat, produce excess acid, etc.).

EDIT: Archaic post is archaic.
Back to top Go down
sumwun18
Newcomer
sumwun18

PostSubject: Re: Space Summary    Space Summary - Page 2 EmptyWed May 02, 2012 12:56 am

So I had an idea....though it could be a pain in the belgium to pull off. I was wondering how you think about creating a multiverse. I have no idea how this would work mechanically but it could be intresting if pulled off....though it could potentially just undo everything. Anybody got any ideas on how this could be pulled off or is this just an idea to toss?
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Space Summary    Space Summary - Page 2 EmptyWed May 02, 2012 11:36 am

sumwun18 wrote:
So I had an idea....though it could be a pain in the belgium to pull off. I was wondering how you think about creating a multiverse. I have no idea how this would work mechanically but it could be intresting if pulled off....though it could potentially just undo everything. Anybody got any ideas on how this could be pulled off or is this just an idea to toss?
Something like having multiple universes? Since we're not even having an entire universe, just a galaxy or two, I think having multiple universes is probably not going to happen. No-one's going to be able to explore one universe, never mind ten of them.
Back to top Go down
GreatGranpapy
Newcomer
GreatGranpapy

PostSubject: Re: Space Summary    Space Summary - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 10:41 pm

What if there were naturally occurring "Covenants" that would be really tight alliances of more than one species to the point of being able to call them a single empire, like in Mass Effect or Halo. A new thread would probably be needed if you like this idea.

p.s.
I think I have the solution to the aquatic races being able to smelt metals.
 Space Summary - Page 2 Hydrothermal%2Bvents1
Now say it with me; geothermal vents. An adaptation should allow the species to journey deep enough to reach the vents. This solution isn't exactly "water tight," but I would like to see you find a large source of naturally occurring heat or a way to create heat underwater without a large amount of tech.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Space Summary    Space Summary - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 10:44 pm

Clever, we've only covered that one about seventeen separate times. It's not going to happen.
Back to top Go down
GreatGranpapy
Newcomer
GreatGranpapy

PostSubject: Re: Space Summary    Space Summary - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 7:03 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Clever, we've only covered that one about seventeen separate times. It's not going to happen.
My apologies.
Back to top Go down
MeowMan1
Regular
MeowMan1

PostSubject: Re: Space Summary    Space Summary - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 4:50 pm

Yes, sadly that is impossible, atleast as far as we know...

Anyone, got anything new to share
?
Back to top Go down
GreatGranpapy
Newcomer
GreatGranpapy

PostSubject: Re: Space Summary    Space Summary - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 6:51 pm

Which idea is impossible?
Back to top Go down
MeowMan1
Regular
MeowMan1

PostSubject: Re: Space Summary    Space Summary - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 8:53 pm

evolving into a civilization underwater.
Sorry.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Space Summary    Space Summary - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Space Summary
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next