Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

The List, All God Tools to Date

Go down 
+20
HAL-9000
Silver Sterling
kingTherapsids
Raptorstorm
Commander Keen
Matriarch
Thrivial Pursuit
Poisson
AIs-null
Gorbachof
Darkgamma
PCaddict
Redstar
Mysterious_Calligrapher
~sciocont
andry796
The Uteen
Pezzalis
zotobom
Tenebrarum
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Gorbachof
Newcomer
Gorbachof

The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 EmptyFri May 20, 2011 2:48 pm

Hope im not necrofiling this topic, but what about some form of star gate (ive become obsessed with all things SG-1).
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 EmptyFri May 20, 2011 5:16 pm

Would that be akin to a wormhole or teleportation device?
Back to top Go down
Gorbachof
Newcomer
Gorbachof

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 EmptyFri May 20, 2011 8:00 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Would that be akin to a wormhole or teleportation device?
Good question, based on the series its both. The idea of instantanious travel from planet to planet is the basic idea though.
Back to top Go down
AIs-null
Learner
AIs-null

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 EmptySat May 21, 2011 8:20 am

I will make a console for the game, so everything can be changed from there. Hopefully also with proper documentation
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 EmptySat May 21, 2011 11:40 am

@ Gorbachov - there was something similar floating somewhere around here...

My favorite mode of instantaneous transportation is the tesseract. Just fold spacetime to bring two points together for the moment it takes to step from one to the other. That's not really a tool so much as a power, though...

(And for off-topic future reference, Horus is part falcon. )
Back to top Go down
Poisson
Regular
Poisson

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 EmptySat May 21, 2011 2:27 pm

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
@ Gorbachov - there was something similar floating somewhere around here...

My favorite mode of instantaneous transportation is the tesseract. Just fold spacetime to bring two points together for the moment it takes to step from one to the other. That's not really a tool so much as a power, though...

(And for off-topic future reference, Horus is part falcon. )
Also that isn't even what a tesseract is, except in that book/movie. But the idea is nice.If by tesseract you mean a way to stretch out all those small wormholes that naturally occur, then I think there should be an advanced tech that allows that.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 EmptySat May 21, 2011 4:59 pm

A tesseract is more of a math concept than a wormhole is - you can start from anywhere.

From a programming standpoint, a tesseract or any other instantaneous travel would be a simple procedure - kind of like the spawn points in most first person shooters. Of course, we could have all sorts of fancy gates/elipses/manholes or whatever as the enterance, as that would merely be a tech object with this ability.

It's also something that I envision as pretty helpful, whether you wanted to hop to a different continent or a different planet.

Wormholes could be programmed much the same way, but to preserve some credibility I don't think we'd be able to put the entrances down on planets a la stargate/every other franchise that uses a "world gate."

OT: I had no idea that there was an actual real-life geometrical figure tesseract. I assumed L'Engle had mangled some latin to name the concept.
Back to top Go down
Gorbachof
Newcomer
Gorbachof

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 EmptySat May 21, 2011 6:34 pm

I geuss i like the idea of creating a "Gate" network across planets as an ascended being, then playing as humans and discovering those gates (well not so much "discovering; considering I placed them).
But I do see where Mysterious_Calligrapher is coming from: got to make things easy on the programmers.
Back to top Go down
AIs-null
Learner
AIs-null

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 EmptySat May 21, 2011 6:48 pm

Hell yes, why dont we include a Neil while we`r going?

Wormholes should exist, as they do, but heavy sciency is required to use it. And then i mean its going to have to take a LOOng time.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 EmptySun May 22, 2011 5:26 am

Spoiler:

Remember what wormholes are. Stargates do not work in the same way. They are flat, un-see-through, togglable on & off, mobile, not a 'real' wormhole.

Oh, go ahead then. Let's have some wormgates. Wormholes would need four dimensional space-time to be programmed. And then multiple gravity-wells strategically placed to create a merging in the plane. Then the warped effects of light as it curves round the well. And the worst part is, that wouldn't work.

Wormgates it is.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 EmptySun May 22, 2011 7:05 pm

Which is why sci-fi likes stargate/worldgates very much.
I know there's a "place wormhole" god tool, just like there's a "place space phenomenon x," which should take care of those. I'm more concerned about the very different problem of what is, in pretty ancient terms, essentially teleportation. Though the science behind having "gates" that are acessable from planets is rather squiggly, it's a heck of a convenient feature for casual gamers, and I haven't seen anything else like it hanging out.
Back to top Go down
Gorbachof
Newcomer
Gorbachof

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 EmptyMon May 23, 2011 4:27 pm

I recently thought up a simple way to make stargates to work: Gate A exits at Gate B; simple. (think Portal).
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 EmptyTue May 24, 2011 10:44 am

Gorbachof wrote:
I recently thought up a simple way to make stargates to work: Gate A exits at Gate B; simple. (think Portal).

That is basically how stargates would work. I'd like to see them being see-through, too.

Then, if we could make those spherical and floating, they'd be the equivalent of real (theoretical) wormholes.
Back to top Go down
Gorbachof
Newcomer
Gorbachof

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 EmptyTue May 24, 2011 1:01 pm

Yeah, if you did it this way, you wouldn't have to worry about programming the wormhole physics/math. The implimentation would be a peice of cake (see the reference).
Back to top Go down
Thrivial Pursuit
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 EmptyTue May 24, 2011 6:24 pm

@Gorbachof: Oh no. Not the Lie...

Question: can we ADD to the List?
Back to top Go down
Matriarch
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 12:56 pm

I have a few Ideas (Forgive me if I say some that have already been spoken about)

This are from my post in the Welcome forums.
Godly Power: Mutate
Function: The power of mutation is a powerful one. It can either destroy or aid a species. With this power you can either do an act of Good or Evil. Its up to you really.
You can either mutate a organism and make it deadly introducing a plauge to a civilization just to see how they handle it. Will you be able to unite a fractured people to cure this plauge? or will you be more kind and careful with it? Mutate a plant so It can grow in almost any condition the result will eventually be a cure to world hunger be careful though this could lead to overpopulation and even the plant growing out of control. You control the fate of this planet. Mutate another creature and have the planet evolve with 2 Sentient species just to see what happens.

God Tool: Localized Time Manipulation Device (LTMD)
The LTMD was first created by your people as a means of speeding up food preparation for the more impatient of the species. After some time a more... capable person came a long and discovered that if you make it bigger and aim it at a planet or star you can use it as a Fast Forward and Rewind device. An example would be if you encountered a forming star but its forming too slowly for your omnipotent desires. Simply aim and fast forward and BOOM you have a fully fledged star! aim it at a planet thats just forming in this new system and boost it by say several billion years and life starts to form. This is a great alternative to the costly and time consuming process of what people call "Evoloution" and "Terraformation" To quote a great man "When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your Belgium lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager!" If your wondering how it works its quite simple. Its called Chroniton Diversion. This device collects vast quantities of Chronitons and effectively using carefully calibrated energy fields causes the Chroniton Particles to advance or reverse the passage of localized time.

God Tool: Gene Masher
You remember the old Potato mashers right? Well this baby does the same to Genetic Material. Strictly talking its a "Genetic Reconfiguration and Preparation Device" but scientists think that names too dull and the Gene Masher is much more hip! With this device you simply surprise adopt a member of another species like a crazed celebrity in a 3rd World Country. Then you find another of a different species even if its a plant! or an animal or two plants whatever you want to cross breed really. Now normally this would kill the specimens painfully and rather graphically but not anymore. As the DNA of the two are combined the device pumps them with nanites that make sure the cells dont fall apart.
Action: One of Two really. This tool can either make a random creation made from Two samples e.g. a Tree and a Rose or a Human and a Tree. Or it takes you to a special editor. Similar to a basic core game editor this one shows you the "Mother" and "Father" DNA Doners appearance and Stats. You get to make a body from them after specifying which DNA is more dominant so if you want your Rose/Tree hybrid to be a Tree but with Rose qualities select the Dominant Sample as Tree. Then you can play around with parts and appearance. Make a rose as strong as Oak or its thorns as deadly as a King Cobra's venom. Or for childhood nostalgia reasons you could make your very own Centaur, Harpy or even a Goat-Man!

God Tool: Celestial Shift
Did you ever know someone who while moving furniture was always "Little to the Left, Little to the right. PERFECT! No wait.."? Hmm? Well..lets just say we dislike Planet X being the 3rd Planet of the System. So lets move it! Yeah, yeah, yeah the science dudes say the Gravitational forces will blow the planet up but we dont care this is SCIENCE! We can do as we please and with enough Science we have produced ourselves a nice little device we call the Celestial Shifter. You can move entire worlds while negating the gravitational forces. Only problem we see is if the planet is inhabited and you accident throw it at a sun or blackhole. Or too far from the sun they get frostbite... good news is if your wife hates the planet being where it is you can always move it!
Potential Use: Assuming space bodies are not fixed orbits and are actually dynamic ones created by gravitational forces of a star and are susceptible to Newtonian Phsyics this tool could introduce some interesting game play features. As well as decimating worlds. E.g. Wipe out some Dinosaurs to let a new era of evolutionary advancement take place by smashing a comet into one. Or smash two worlds together while their forming like how earth got its moon billions of years ago.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 23, 2011 4:13 pm

All of these sound like good concepts, except we've ruled out most time-manipulation tools as being paradoxical.
Back to top Go down
Matriarch
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 23, 2011 4:32 pm

If its localized it shouldn't form any paradoxes. A Localized field will only affect anything within the fields boundaries.

Even then a good paradox is quite fun. I recall an old game called Millennia: Altered Destiny. Where you had to frequently shift between time zones over 10,000 years to lead 4 extinct races to greatness and stop what made them extinct from ruling the universe by stopping them in their tracks. Each alteration of an event created more and even some paradoxes but it was overcoming them that made the game fun.

But thats not my point here. My point is with a device that localizes an area (Game Locked to Planets Only) such as say all of Venus where you can pause time flow to carefully plan your terraforming action. Then fast forward it so Venus can get terraformed easily without the need of waiting many years. This way you can fast forward little projects individually with your god powers rather than speeding the whole game up causing some problems. Only possible paradox is if someone selects their homeworld and hits rewind and accidently kills the planet. So to fix that you would have the device set the point of origin in a temporal lock. Protecting it from Time shifts. E.g. How the USS Enterprise-E was protected from the Assimilation of Earth by the Borg Sphere's Temporal Wake.

Either way, Its up to you guys. Its your game. I'm just here to give input :L
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 24, 2011 6:07 am

Matriarch wrote:
If its localized it shouldn't form any paradoxes. A Localized field will only affect anything within the fields boundaries.

I think that's actually the problem - what happens if in an area of space, time is reversed, and something from outside tries to enter? When they enter the bubble, they will have been be leaving the bubble back-end first. It's a paradox, they are simultaneously entering the bubble, and leaving it backwards, and so what happens after they enter/leave? Nothing, the fact they enter causes them to be leaving. It's impossible. That's the problem. If that made no sense, here's what I said in a visual form:

The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 Problemswithtime

So, it would cause a paradox. And in real life, it cannot be done anyway, because of the nature of the universe, and, in programming, the history and future of everything in the universe would have to be recorded, and that would require huge amounts of space, and if you do something as small as kill a butterfly, the entire future of the universe would have to be re-calculated. So no, I don't think this can really be done, sorry. Cool idea, but unfortunately it's impossible, impractical and impossible.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 24, 2011 11:33 am

Reversing timeflow is, of course, impossible. Accelerating or slowing it down is an entirely different matter. We would just have to assign a timeDelta variable to every function dealing with ingame time and then change the timeDelta var for everything in the field. It's not hard even from the coding standpoint, just a bit tedious.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 24, 2011 12:16 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
Reversing timeflow is, of course, impossible. Accelerating or slowing it down is an entirely different matter. We would just have to assign a timeDelta variable to every function dealing with ingame time and then change the timeDelta var for everything in the field. It's not hard even from the coding standpoint, just a bit tedious.
Yeah it makes sense. Oh and Δ just to make things make more sense.

Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 24, 2011 5:48 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Oh and Δ just to make things make more sense.

The Δ symbol can't be used in a variable name in code, so I just wrote the full timeDelta name.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 24, 2011 8:04 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Oh and Δ just to make things make more sense.

The Δ symbol can't be used in a variable name in code, so I just wrote the full timeDelta name.
Oh, that makes a bit more sense.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 1:08 pm

Off topic: Could we fix that search box? The background of it is see-through, and I keep seeing text scrolling through the text. It makes it hard to tell what's what. :S <- We still need a confused smiley, too.

Anyway, now for what I came here for:

Selective sapience (Pyrotin's idea, not mine):

Toggles the possibility of sapience arising in species, biomes, planets, solar systems, and globally, depending on what is the chosen option.

And an idea I had while I was away (technically Russel T Davies's idea, but...):

Miracle Day:

One day, no-one died... The next day, no-one died...
And the next... And the next... And the next...

Death is stopped for a species. They can feel pain, carry diseases, but don't die.
Anyone who has watched Torchwood will know why it would make a cool god tool. Chaos! Mayhem! Sinister! Would hate to be in a God War in Thrive with all this stuff being thrown at you.

Speaking of which...

Eternal Life (The Captain Jack Tool)

An individual gets incredible regenerative abilities, always reforming no matter what damage is done.

Exciting series. Funny the Doctor just didn't happen to notice Miracle Day...
Back to top Go down
Raptorstorm
Newcomer
Raptorstorm

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 2:35 pm

The Humidifier
Makes whatever planet you target become increasingly humid without end.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The List, All God Tools to Date
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next