Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both - Page 2 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both - Page 2 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both - Page 2 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both - Page 2 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both - Page 2 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both

Go down 
+8
Commander Keen
The Uteen
~sciocont
US_of_Alaska
roadkillguy
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Pezzalis
mike roberts
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both   the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both - Page 2 EmptyThu May 12, 2011 11:33 am

Commander Keen wrote:
I don't know, I would always pick blue over orange Also there's the long tradition of giving enemies red in the gaming industry, most people will associate red with danger, purple could work well with ill friends I think.

QFT The colours should be switched around a bit, especially the use of red.
Back to top Go down
Poisson
Regular
Poisson

the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both   the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both - Page 2 EmptyThu May 12, 2011 7:11 pm

The Uteen wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:
I don't know, I would always pick blue over orange Also there's the long tradition of giving enemies red in the gaming industry, most people will associate red with danger, purple could work well with ill friends I think.

QFT The colours should be switched around a bit, especially the use of red.
We could make them fairly universal things like this, and after a certain point (when the game thinks the player has "mastered" using smell) it could allow you to change the colors to something you would understand more. This way you still have to learn to use a new sense and don't always know what it means from the start.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both   the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both - Page 2 EmptyFri May 13, 2011 5:28 am

I agree that the colours need to be changed, but we can really worry about that when we hit playtesting. So, a long time from now.
Back to top Go down
Deathbite42
Regular

PostSubject: Re: the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both   the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 11:45 am

We shouldn't have smell as colors! Just have text that goes over the organism like those tags you see in Spore that show the species. But instead of showing species or type, it will show text like "Dangerous". The tag it is WRITTEN ON will be in color.
Back to top Go down
GasmaskCowboy

PostSubject: non-answered (i think)   the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 2:04 am

what if your creature managed to get 2 (or more) stomachs such as one good at digesting one rotting meat and the second for fresh meat (or fruit) , I wanted to ask as i didn't see anyone bring it up.Also what about the fruit and what not?Would that rot too? And what would happen if you ate a bad apple? Maybe you could somehow get a disease from a close animal (sort of like monkeys to us) after you ate it which spread like a pandemic, wiping out a portion of your entire species (if not all). If this was talked about already could someone link the thread to me?OK i'm done asking questions.....for now.
Back to top Go down
Deathbite42
Regular

PostSubject: Re: the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both   the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 10:15 am

Of course a fruit would rot.
Back to top Go down
GasmaskCowboy

PostSubject: Re: the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both   the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 11:17 am

Deathbite42 wrote:

Then we need a "scale" to determined what happens when ate at different times and when it disappears, or what not. I fell like There should probably be different mouths for eating different things.Not like the spore mouths which would randomly change you'r creatures diet, but have some that could tear through flesh while another one for a harder exoskeleton or a shell. So something i don't think i saw too is do we place the stomach or select it off of a list and we have no idea where it goes?(same with other organs)

-sorry for randomly switching around what i was talking about.
Back to top Go down
Deathbite42
Regular

PostSubject: Re: the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both   the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 11:25 am

GasmaskCowboy wrote:
Deathbite42 wrote:

Then we need a "scale" to determined what happens when ate at different times and when it disappears, or what not. I fell like There should probably be different mouths for eating different things.Not like the spore mouths which would randomly change you'r creatures diet, but have some that could tear through flesh while another one for a harder exoskeleton or a shell. So something i don't think i saw too is do we place the stomach or select it off of a list and we have no idea where it goes?(same with other organs)

It DOESN'T disappear! It simply becomes inedidible for a particular species. Organs should be treated like parts.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both   the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 3:21 pm

Deathbite42 wrote:
GasmaskCowboy wrote:
Deathbite42 wrote:

It DOESN'T disappear! It simply becomes inedidible for a particular species. Organs should be treated like parts.
Objects will de-spawn eventually, otherwise the number would increase until the computer freezes. However, they will remain at least until no creature can eat it anymore.

Organs will be positionable, although possibly with a few exceptions, such as veins, which will be automatically distributed. This is probably in the Organism Editor Current Concept.
Back to top Go down
Deathbite42
Regular

PostSubject: Re: the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both   the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 3:31 pm

The Uteen wrote:
Deathbite42 wrote:
GasmaskCowboy wrote:
Deathbite42 wrote:

Objects will de-spawn eventually, otherwise the number would increase until the computer freezes. However, they will remain at least until no creature can eat it anymore.

Organs will be positionable, although possibly with a few exceptions, such as veins, which will be automatically distributed. This is probably in the Organism Editor Current Concept.
It doesn't have to despawn if it will eventually rot or be eaten. But you should also be able to play as a decomposER who causes it to rot.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both   the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 4:44 pm

Deathbite42 wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
Deathbite42 wrote:
GasmaskCowboy wrote:
Deathbite42 wrote:

It doesn't have to despawn if it will eventually rot or be eaten. But you should also be able to play as a decomposER who causes it to rot.
It despawns when it can no longer be eaten, as I said.
Decomposers are usually micro-organisms, which will not exist in post-multicellular as observable organisms. Organisms such as worms and flies which eat slowly, and could be called decomposers... I don't remember any discussion about that.
Back to top Go down
Deathbite42
Regular

PostSubject: Re: the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both   the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 5:27 pm

The Uteen wrote:
Deathbite42 wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
Deathbite42 wrote:
GasmaskCowboy wrote:
Deathbite42 wrote:

Decomposers are usually micro-organisms, which will not exist in post-multicellular as observable organisms. Organisms such as worms and flies which eat slowly, and could be called decomposers... I don't remember any discussion about that.
Then would it be an option in the Microbe Stage? And say, millipedes are clearly scientifically labeled as decomposers. They should be playable.
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

PostSubject: Re: the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both   the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 6:14 pm

Primarily decomposition is caused singled celled bacteria and fungi. Which, at this point in gameplay, are treated by the program as disease. Any organism which attempts to feed on carrion must contend with them (if they exist in the ecosystem, which most likely will be the case). So any multicellular complex life which attempts to feed on carcasses would not be classified as a decomposer but instead as a scavenger or carrion-feeder (if they solely eat dead matter).

Since we have fungi-like sessile organisms playable which could feed off of bark or other organic matter the player can be certain decomposing life forms (so long as they are multicellular).

Deathbite42 wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
Then would it be an option in the Microbe Stage?
This is an excellent point. I'm not sure if we have discussed multicellular interactions in the microbial phase. Another point to bring up is the spontaneous evolution of unicellular life into a visible organism that would be recognisable in the multicellular phase.
Back to top Go down
Deathbite42
Regular

PostSubject: Re: the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both   the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 6:41 pm

GamerXA wrote:
Primarily decomposition is caused singled celled bacteria and fungi. Which, at this point in gameplay, are treated by the program as disease. Any organism which attempts to feed on carrion must contend with them (if they exist in the ecosystem, which most likely will be the case). So any multicellular complex life which attempts to feed on carcasses would not be classified as a decomposer but instead as a scavenger or carrion-feeder (if they solely eat dead matter).

Since we have fungi-like sessile organisms playable which could feed off of bark or other organic matter the player can be certain decomposing life forms (so long as they are multicellular).

Deathbite42 wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
This is an excellent point. I'm not sure if we have discussed multicellular interactions in the microbial phase. Another point to bring up is the spontaneous evolution of unicellular life into a visible organism that would be recognisable in the multicellular phase.
Should I start a thread on it?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both   the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 8:59 pm

Deathbite42 wrote:
GamerXA wrote:

Deathbite42 wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
No. What you're calling decomposers are better known as detritivores. They are handled in the biome system in a special way, but are definitely taken care of.
Back to top Go down
Deathbite42
Regular

PostSubject: Re: the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both   the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 9:17 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Deathbite42 wrote:
GamerXA wrote:

Deathbite42 wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
No. What you're calling decomposers are better known as detritivores. They are handled in the biome system in a special way, but are definitely taken care of.
I know. I'm talking about PLAYING as a decomposing CELL in the MICROBE STAGE. Perhaps you misunderstood me. Not just that, but also perhaps being an infecting germ. And some people proposed options allowing the player freedom not to ad vance beyond the Org Stage and instead exploring life options, like say, bird or fish. I'm talking about people not advancing past the microbe stage and doing the same thing.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both   the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 12:36 pm

This is planned. As Sciocont said, they are 'handled by the biome system in a special way'.

From what I think I know, when playing in cell stage you can become a disease, or a decomposer, and you would see this by ending up in a 'fruit' biome, 'corpse' biome, or 'bloodstream' biome. There will be more biomes than this for specialised cells, but, unless it has been discussed in PM, they have not yet been decided, nor the specifics of how to become specialised. To be honest, this has barely been discussed in detail.
Back to top Go down
Deathbite42
Regular

PostSubject: Re: the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both   the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 1:00 pm

I thought by "handled by the biome in a special way", you meant how it would affect the game. But if it isn't detailed, can I start a thread?
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both   the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 1:47 pm

Deathbite42 wrote:
I thought by "handled by the biome in a special way", you meant how it would affect the game. But if it isn't detailed, can I start a thread?

Scio said they are definitely taken care of, so there may have been discussion I'm not aware of. Have a look for existing threads first.
Back to top Go down
Deathbite42
Regular

PostSubject: Re: the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both   the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 1:54 pm

The Uteen wrote:
Deathbite42 wrote:

Scio said they are definitely taken care of, so there may have been discussion I'm not aware of. Have a look for existing threads first.
https://thrivegame.canadaboard.net/t172-parasite-cell
They said they'd hold it off. But it never talks about decomposing. So A) That does not mean "taken care of", and B) In this thread they never talked about being a decomposer or symbiotic lifeform.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both   the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

the differences from eating a tree or the cow dog thing with 2 heads or both
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2