Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Finalizing Aware Concept Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Finalizing Aware Concept Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Finalizing Aware Concept Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Finalizing Aware Concept Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Finalizing Aware Concept Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Finalizing Aware Concept Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Finalizing Aware Concept Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Finalizing Aware Concept Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Finalizing Aware Concept Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Finalizing Aware Concept Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Finalizing Aware Concept Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Finalizing Aware Concept Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Finalizing Aware Concept Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Finalizing Aware Concept Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Finalizing Aware Concept Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Finalizing Aware Concept Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Finalizing Aware Concept Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Finalizing Aware Concept Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Finalizing Aware Concept Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Finalizing Aware Concept Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Finalizing Aware Concept

Go down 
+6
Grep42
The Uteen
US_of_Alaska
Commander Keen
~sciocont
Tenebrarum
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Finalizing Aware Concept Empty
PostSubject: Finalizing Aware Concept   Finalizing Aware Concept EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 3:28 pm

WARING! INCOMING LONGPOST!

Because some of us, like myself, can neither program, model, or make decent texture, we should probably start organizing the gelatinous mass that is the Aware stage concept.

For those that are confused, aware is the stage most similar to Spore's Creature stage, where you controll a single macroscopic organism and run around eating things. While not specified exactly, so as to allow wiggle room for our glorious programmers, it's been agreed that once you reach a colony of several hundred cells you advance from the Multicellular Stage to the Aware Stage.

This list is incomplete and will be updated as nessicary. Please provide feedback.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Tenebrarum on Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Finalizing Aware Concept   Finalizing Aware Concept EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 5:18 pm

Liking it so far.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Finalizing Aware Concept   Finalizing Aware Concept EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 5:27 pm

Quote :
If the player can hover, like a bee or a Humming Bird, controls will use the mouse to aim, (with a central retical) and WASD to move along that axis. SPACE will cause the player to move up, and CTRL to move the player down.

Just tried this layout on an arcade heli game, as the action most probably resembles that of flying organisms (they move quickly as they are rather small) and I must say it turned out to be horribe. The CTRL get's in the way too often and SPACE is too clumsy to be used as a height control. What about having WSAD as horizontal moving, QE as ascend/descend and moving the Examine function to R/T/RMB?

Quote :
Energy will steadily decrease over time. More strenous actions will cause the meter to drop faster. The player can recharge this by sleeping or simply not moving, depending on size and complexity. The rate of drop can be reduced by developing more efficient respitory and/or circulatory systems. If the meter reaches zero, the player will pass out for a few minuets.

Provided the player's rest level are high enough, if on land or in water they will be able to go into a sprint, which reduces stamina. Stamina is a very small meter, but can be upgraded by developing more effecient respitory, circulatory, or muscular systems.

I have had a similar system in mind for a while. What I don't like on your interpretation though is that standing still can increase Energy as well, thus allowing avoiding sleeping just by staying still, and that the stamina is only used on running and has seemingly no effect on Energy. Let's see if I can improve it:

Instead of actions draining Energy directly, they would drain Stamina. Every action would drain stamina, but different amounts of stamina would be drained for different tasks, some actions would even drain stamina slower than it regenerates (walking). Stamina would deplete fast, but also regenerate pretty quickly. If you run out of stamina, you can't perform any actions (forcing you to stop for until it regenerates).

However, recharging Stamina would use up Energy. The more Stamina you use, the more Energy is drained. As Energy can be regained only by sleeping, you will naturally want to use as little Stamina as possible to conserve your energy. If you run out of Energy, you will pass out (forced sleep) for about enough time to regenerate 1/4 of your stamina shard. You will be very vulnerable in the meantime though, so passing out is never a good thing.

Does anyone know of anything I could make a little prototype in? Everything I know is too Windows centered.

Quote :
As with most games, crouching will likely be the shorthand for sneaking

There really shouldn't be the generic "press a key to sneak" system. If anything, it should lower your visibility level as to simulate the smaller silhouette when crouched. (BTW, by visibility level, I mean the distance you can be seen from)
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Finalizing Aware Concept   Finalizing Aware Concept EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 5:44 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
Just tried this layout on an arcade heli game, as the action most probably resembles that of flying organisms (they move quickly as they are rather small) and I must say it turned out to be horribe. The CTRL get's in the way too often and SPACE is too clumsy to be used as a height control. What about having WSAD as horizontal moving, QE as ascend/descend and moving the Examine function to R/T/RMB?
While this may be true for you, this is what most games use and most people are comfortable with. We'll always have the ability to mess around with key-bindings induvidually.

Commander Keen wrote:
I have had a similar system in mind for a while. What I don't like on your interpretation though is that standing still can increase Energy as well, thus allowing avoiding sleeping just by staying still, and that the stamina is only used on running and has seemingly no effect on Energy. Let's see if I can improve it:
I was trying to compensate for the fact that some organisms don't sleep at all, BUT....

Commander Keen wrote:
Instead of actions draining Energy directly, they would drain Stamina. Every action would drain stamina, but different amounts of stamina would be drained for different tasks, some actions would even drain stamina slower than it regenerates (walking). Stamina would deplete fast, but also regenerate pretty quickly. If you run out of stamina, you can't perform any actions (forcing you to stop for until it regenerates).

However, recharging Stamina would use up Energy. The more Stamina you use, the more Energy is drained. As Energy can be regained only by sleeping, you will naturally want to use as little Stamina as possible to conserve your energy. If you run out of Energy, you will pass out (forced sleep) for about enough time to regenerate 1/4 of your stamina shard. You will be very vulnerable in the meantime though, so passing out is never a good thing.
ZARQUON IN PARADISE I LOVE IT!

Commander Keen wrote:
There really shouldn't be the generic "press a key to sneak" system. If anything, it should lower your visibility level as to simulate the smaller silhouette when crouched. (BTW, by visibility level, I mean the distance you can be seen from)
Well, even in the case you can't crouch at all, camo has an effect. More of what I mean is that the game will use crouching as a cue that you're trying to hide, and allow you to use any special camo you have, a la octopi.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Finalizing Aware Concept   Finalizing Aware Concept EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 5:50 pm

Hmm... I have to agree with Rex on the movement controls. It seems more normal, but we can always reassess when we get there.

And i just want to note that you have "interacting with your environment" a lot in there, but never the controls on how to do it. We are going with the left click = default action, right click = possible options, right?
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Finalizing Aware Concept   Finalizing Aware Concept EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 5:54 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
And i just want to note that you have "interacting with your environment" a lot in there, but never the controls on how to do it. We are going with the left click = default action, right click = possible options, right?

It depends on how combat ends up working.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Finalizing Aware Concept   Finalizing Aware Concept EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 8:07 am

I'm not sure about that shift + control thing either... This whole system makes it seem unnatural to go up & down, in my opinion. If you don't have to look up to go up, you'd end up going up tail-fin or something half of the time. Maybe it could work with helicopters, which tend to stay upside up (I assume you got the controls from those sorts of games), but most sea creatures face the direction they want to go in, including if going up and down.

Also, about using the wasd keys, I never seen a fish swim sideways or backwards to the direction it is facing. That sort of movement is rather odd for sea creatures streamlined for forwards movement, like fish.
(I know it is probably to unify the controls, but it really is a bad idea. Sideways and backwards movement is generally only used by land creatures, so apart from special cases these buttons would remain untouched)

While we are getting the option to have alternate keybindings, what about if I wanted to use mouse to look around and have keys to accelerate and decelerate, and roll clockwise and anti-clockwise (something missed out on that longpost, for birds too)? I think that system would work quite a bit better, and rolling is important for birds to turn, while going backwards or sideways isn't.

Thus ends my rant, and begins my moan inducer.

What about hibernation? Would that need a third energy bar? What about building up fat reserves?
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Finalizing Aware Concept   Finalizing Aware Concept EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 9:29 am

The Uteen wrote:
I'm not sure about that shift + control thing either... This whole system makes it seem unnatural to go up & down, in my opinion. If you don't have to look up to go up, you'd end up going up tail-fin or something half of the time. Maybe it could work with helicopters, which tend to stay upside up (I assume you got the controls from those sorts of games), but most sea creatures face the direction they want to go in, including if going up and down.

Also, about using the wasd keys, I never seen a fish swim sideways or backwards to the direction it is facing. That sort of movement is rather odd for sea creatures streamlined for forwards movement, like fish.
(I know it is probably to unify the controls, but it really is a bad idea. Sideways and backwards movement is generally only used by land creatures, so apart from special cases these buttons would remain untouched)

While we are getting the option to have alternate keybindings, what about if I wanted to use mouse to look around and have keys to accelerate and decelerate, and roll clockwise and anti-clockwise (something missed out on that longpost, for birds too)? I think that system would work quite a bit better, and rolling is important for birds to turn, while going backwards or sideways isn't.

You wouldn't be strafing love. The org would turn but the camera wouldn't. You only strafe on land or hovering.

The Uteen wrote:
What about hibernation? Would that need a third energy bar? What about building up fat reserves?

I already nmentioned fat under nutrition, and hibernation is specific enough that we can add it later.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Finalizing Aware Concept   Finalizing Aware Concept EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 4:17 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
The Uteen wrote:

You wouldn't be strafing love. The org would turn but the camera wouldn't. You only strafe on land or hovering.
I still don't think it makes sense doing it this way. You wouldn't be able to see where you're going. And I was thinking about these controls in first person. If you press 'd', for example, and the org turns, does it continue turning or just go 90 degrees and then stop? How would you go less than 90 degrees? And if it keeps turning, what does 's' do?

I'm sure my idea would be much more straightforward.

Quote :
The Uteen wrote:

I already nmentioned fat under nutrition, and hibernation is specific enough that we can add it later.
I mean fat as in an indication to the player they need to build up the reserves. A warning is needed so the player knows to build up food and water reserves, and to find a suitable place.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Finalizing Aware Concept   Finalizing Aware Concept EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 4:03 am

The Uteen wrote:

I still don't think it makes sense doing it this way. You wouldn't be able to see where you're going. And I was thinking about these controls in first person. If you press 'd', for example, and the org turns, does it continue turning or just go 90 degrees and then stop? How would you go less than 90 degrees? And if it keeps turning, what does 's' do?

Really, it's simple. W makes you swim forward, S turns the creature 180 degrees and makes it swim away from the camera's facing. A and D turn the creature 90 degrees and make it swim to the either side. Combinations would make the creature swim to average of the degrees, so if you hold W (0 degrees) and D (90 degrees) the creature would swim in 45 degrees (ie front right movement). Note that the degrees I am talking in are always relative to the camera, so 0 degrees is always the camera's facing.

Also, you could still steer your organism by mouse for more precision. The WSAD system is here just for convenience.

Quote :
I mean fat as in an indication to the player they need to build up the reserves. A warning is needed so the player knows to build up food and water reserves, and to find a suitable place.

Not all creatures do that, and we could just warn them the first time they need to do it by the tutorial.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Finalizing Aware Concept   Finalizing Aware Concept EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 8:03 am

Commander Keen wrote:
The Uteen wrote:

Really, it's simple. W makes you swim forward, S turns the creature 180 degrees and makes it swim away from the camera's facing. A and D turn the creature 90 degrees and make it swim to the either side. Combinations would make the creature swim to average of the degrees, so if you hold W (0 degrees) and D (90 degrees) the creature would swim in 45 degrees (ie front right movement). Note that the degrees I am talking in are always relative to the camera, so 0 degrees is always the camera's facing.

Also, you could still steer your organism by mouse for more precision. The WSAD system is here just for convenience.
...This is a third person orientated system, which wouldn't really work in first. I'm trying to support a first person system, which wouldn't really work in third... We could always just use one for each camera type.

Anyway, the thing I think I don't like about this system is you can use the mouse for precision on a 2D plane, but there's no precision in a 3D plane... Just one key for up, one for down...

What about the Homeworld system, where you hold down a button and set the height of the destination with the mouse? Or was that implied?

Quote :
Quote :

Not all creatures do that, and we could just warn them the first time they need to do it by the tutorial.
So they have to have the tutorial open to learn their creature has evolved hibernation? And they don't just need notifying the first time, if the next times they forget, or don't get enough food (they won't measure the amount they eat, they'll just eat loads and hope it's enough), they'll enter hibernation and starve... And little hedgehog creature will die... And player will cry... We don't want that...

Unless the hedgehog creature is a vicious killing machine... Well, not machine... Killing creature... But I suppose it could be a machine... The rabid-hedgehog-o-matic 9000, the horror movie of a hedgehog robot that tortures with it's deadly venomous spikes. Tortures little kittens! You want this to die when it hibernates!
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Finalizing Aware Concept   Finalizing Aware Concept EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 12:11 pm

Okay. Hibernation: as cool as it would be to have, what I'm trying to determine here is the VERY BARE BONES of the Aware stage. The absolute minimum amount of stuff we need to make it work. Hibernation will be added once we have a skeleton. I promise. But right now we should be focusing on more important behaiviors, like transition from solitary survival to communities. The creation of nests and lairs. Territories. Hives. Mating behaiviors.

Hibernation is an interesting, but very specific survival technique that only pops up depending on certain planetary conditions. These other things I've mentioned are much broader and need to be more specifically defined.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Finalizing Aware Concept   Finalizing Aware Concept EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 4:16 pm

The Uteen wrote:
...This is a third person orientated system, which wouldn't really work in first. I'm trying to support a first person system, which wouldn't really work in third... We could always just use one for each camera type.

Anyway, the thing I think I don't like about this system is you can use the mouse for precision on a 2D plane, but there's no precision in a 3D plane... Just one key for up, one for down...

What about the Homeworld system, where you hold down a button and set the height of the destination with the mouse? Or was that implied?

Mouselooking allows for great accuracy in 3d space (see this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYvP5gUmkVY - horrible video, good showcase of the mouselook system in action).
As we aren't using Spore's point and click system but a more usual "hold x to move", this works very well.

We have adopted something similar to the Homeworld model in Strat mode, though (without knowing about Homeworld at all).
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Finalizing Aware Concept   Finalizing Aware Concept EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 1:51 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
The Uteen wrote:

Mouselooking allows for great accuracy in 3d space (see this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYvP5gUmkVY - horrible video, good showcase of the mouselook system in action).
As we aren't using Spore's point and click system but a more usual "hold x to move", this works very well.
Wait... You're talking about using 'mouselooking' (there's a word for it!) with the wasd? (Just noticed you mentioned that in the last post) Hmm... I suppose. And first person? And I do like the manual roll, for creatures that can roll, we need to have that in somewhere. How else will we do the crocodile death-roll, for example? Don't answer that, you might make it seem unnecessary.
Quote :
We have adopted something similar to the Homeworld model in Strat mode, though (without knowing about Homeworld at all).
I'd forgotten about Strat Mode. These controls do work best in that mode... Let's not interfere with those... At least, for now...
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Finalizing Aware Concept   Finalizing Aware Concept EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 5:52 am

The Uteen wrote:
Quote :
I'd forgotten about Strat Mode. These controls do work best in that mode... Let's not interfere with those... At least, for now...
Okay, now let's interfere with them.

Do we have any system for formations in strategy mode? I know it seems like I might be copying Homeworld a bit, and maybe I am, but no, I'm not. You wouldn't just be able to choose from a list, most creatures wouldn't even have any formations. But, some, like schools of fish and hunting packs, do have formations... Actually, they're more like... Pack behaviours. The name is open for a vote. But what I'm talking about is a way to select multiple organisms, and make them stick together, and work as one. A school of fish moves as one, a hunting pack works together to catch prey.
Depending on the behaviour of the creature, the... 'Pack behaviour' would work differently. For some, they work together tactically to achieve a goal, positioning themselves strategically, etc.. For others, like a school of fish, they act as one larger organism, packing tightly together in a ball and synchronising their movements.
When a group is told to use 'pack behaviour', they will work together in a certain way, depending on how they behave, and move to the appropriate location. The group would also get assigned a number, or a shortcut key, to quickly be selected. If they are spread out, this will definitely be helpful, if they act as a giant ball, they act like one organism so it would be easier to select them all in one go...
So it's quite different to Homeworld, really. And formations... I made it up as I was making the post.

Last edited by The Uteen on Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Finalizing Aware Concept   Finalizing Aware Concept EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 8:52 am

The Uteen wrote:
[quote=The Uteen]
Quote :

Do we have any system for formations in strategy mode? I know it seems like I might be copying Homeworld a bit, and maybe I am, but no, I'm not. You wouldn't just be able to choose from a list, most creatures wouldn't even have any formations. But, some, like schools of fish and hunting packs, do have formations... Actually, they're more like... Pack behaviours. The name is open for a vote. But what I'm talking about is a way to select multiple organisms, and make them stick together, and work as one. A school of fish moves as one, a hunting pack works together to catch prey.
Depending on the behaviour of the creature, the... 'Pack behaviour' would work differently. For some, they work together tactically to achieve a goal, positioning themselves strategically, etc.. For others, like a school of fish, they act as one larger organism, packing tightly together in a ball and synchronising their movements.
When a group is told to use 'pack behaviour', they will work together in a certain way, depending on how they behave, and move to the appropriate location. The group would also get assigned a number, or a shortcut key, to quickly be selected. If they are spread out, this will definitely be helpful, if they act as a giant ball, they act like one organism so it would be easier to select them all in one go...
So it's quite different to Homeworld, really. And formations... I made it up as I was making the post.[/quote]
That's a good idea, it should be covered in the BE.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Finalizing Aware Concept   Finalizing Aware Concept EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 5:28 pm

This will work for organism mode. Post Aware / Strategy mode, the formations system is already made. It's on the wiki, let me search a bit.. here, fourth and fifth paragraph.

Also, remember that you will have little control of your buddies until you gain sentience (or was this bit changed for sake of easier gameplay? I don't really remember..)
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Finalizing Aware Concept   Finalizing Aware Concept EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 7:12 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
This will work for organism mode. Post Aware / Strategy mode, the formations system is already made. It's on the wiki, let me search a bit.. here, fourth and fifth paragraph.

Also, remember that you will have little control of your buddies until you gain sentience (or was this bit changed for sake of easier gameplay? I don't really remember..)

It remains. You only have control of a few organisms.

Good system. We should update the BE.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Finalizing Aware Concept   Finalizing Aware Concept EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 9:50 pm

Bump: Added current combat and intelligence concepts to original longpost.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Finalizing Aware Concept   Finalizing Aware Concept EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 2:14 pm

Bump: Is this greened enough to warrant a sticky/addition to the wiki?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Finalizing Aware Concept   Finalizing Aware Concept EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 4:41 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Bump: Is this greened enough to warrant a sticky/addition to the wiki?
Go through with it.
Back to top Go down
Grep42
Newcomer
Grep42

PostSubject: Re: Finalizing Aware Concept   Finalizing Aware Concept EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 2:50 pm

On the controls for flying/swimming creatures, what if you hold the left mouse button to move and move around the mouse to change direction. Sort of like dragging your creature around. The same would also work well for terrestrial creatures.
Back to top Go down
zippybomb
Newcomer
zippybomb

PostSubject: Re: Finalizing Aware Concept   Finalizing Aware Concept EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 11:53 pm

The Uteen wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
Quote :

So it's quite different to Homeworld, really. And formations... I made it up as I was making the post.

Why don't we have buttons in the HUD so you can select different patterns of attack with your pack. So say you see a herd, you select a pattern to seperate one from the group, like predators do in the wild, and when you run at the herd to scatter them, your other pack members would seperate the selected prey animal and take it down with you. You would still keep your first or third person view and I think that would keep it a lot more exciting and personal. Just an idea.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Finalizing Aware Concept   Finalizing Aware Concept EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 12:35 pm

zippybomb wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
Quote :

Why don't we have buttons in the HUD so you can select different patterns of attack with your pack. So say you see a herd, you select a pattern to seperate one from the group, like predators do in the wild, and when you run at the herd to scatter them, your other pack members would seperate the selected prey animal and take it down with you. You would still keep your first or third person view and I think that would keep it a lot more exciting and personal. Just an idea.

Maybe, or a toggle button. We don't want too many buttons in the interface, and there will no doubt be a lot. Also, you will have a third person view in this case - these are the controls for RTS/strategy mode, not organism mode, though there will probably be some overlap.
Back to top Go down
MeowMan1
Regular
MeowMan1

PostSubject: Re: Finalizing Aware Concept   Finalizing Aware Concept EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 8:51 pm

Why not just be able to switch between first person and third person, for organismode, and maybe even when Your species forms a tribe, You could look through the eyes of one of Your tribe members, or watch them from afar, which would be the third person mode.
If this idea has already been suggested, I apologize.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Finalizing Aware Concept   Finalizing Aware Concept Empty

Back to top Go down

Finalizing Aware Concept
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next