Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Heightmaps and other planetary data Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Heightmaps and other planetary data Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Heightmaps and other planetary data Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Heightmaps and other planetary data Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Heightmaps and other planetary data Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Heightmaps and other planetary data Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Heightmaps and other planetary data Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Heightmaps and other planetary data Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Heightmaps and other planetary data Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Heightmaps and other planetary data Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Heightmaps and other planetary data Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Heightmaps and other planetary data Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Heightmaps and other planetary data Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Heightmaps and other planetary data Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Heightmaps and other planetary data Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Heightmaps and other planetary data Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Heightmaps and other planetary data Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Heightmaps and other planetary data Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Heightmaps and other planetary data Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Heightmaps and other planetary data Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Heightmaps and other planetary data

Go down 
+4
Tenebrarum
roadkillguy
ido66667
Commander Keen
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

Heightmaps and other planetary data Empty
PostSubject: Heightmaps and other planetary data   Heightmaps and other planetary data EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 1:29 pm

Alright, this topic shall now serve for the discussion about planetary data and the Space Engine. For now, we can look for some whitepapers and other documents on how it's done.

One way is to do it like Kerbal Space Program: six quadtrees mapped into a cube. Also, some sources mention a spherical version of the ROAM algorithm, but I have had no luck finding it yet.
Back to top Go down
ido66667
Regular
ido66667

PostSubject: Re: Heightmaps and other planetary data   Heightmaps and other planetary data EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 2:26 pm

I think it Will Be Awesome in our game
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: Heightmaps and other planetary data   Heightmaps and other planetary data EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 5:05 pm

Quote :
One way is to do it like Kerbal Space Program: six quadtrees mapped into a cube. Also, some sources mention a spherical version of the ROAM algorithm, but I have had no luck finding it yet.

Right. I've written a quadtree algorithm, but making one a neighbor to another is tricky.

I'm not sure how to iterate through the triangles in the ROAM algorithm with any decent framerate. (That's a lot of triangles to be performing distance checks on.)
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Heightmaps and other planetary data   Heightmaps and other planetary data EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 5:22 pm

Heightmaps and other planetary data Bunny+%2B+pancake
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: Heightmaps and other planetary data   Heightmaps and other planetary data EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 5:38 pm

Heightmaps and other planetary data Tumblr_lbyz75laYh1qdet5oo1_500
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Heightmaps and other planetary data   Heightmaps and other planetary data EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 5:42 pm

roadkillguy wrote:
Quote :

Right. I've written a quadtree algorithm, but making one a neighbor to another is tricky.

I'm not sure how to iterate through the triangles in the ROAM algorithm with any decent framerate. (That's a lot of triangles to be performing distance checks on.)
This seems fairly simple. Is there a limit to resolution? Also, I don't want to bother you guys about this, but I do feel the need to ask if anyone has ever done things such as overhangs. They would obviously require something more than this regular system. I figure that slopes of a certain angle could be further subdivided and then noised (up from the plane of the slope) to create rock faces that overhang the slope. I don't want you guys to really worry about it, but it is something to think about.

That's ok Rex, thanks for the bunny.
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: Heightmaps and other planetary data   Heightmaps and other planetary data EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 5:55 pm

We can potentially have overhangs, but that would be extremely complicated. A quadtree makes that impossible. We would have to make the planet out of voxels, but that would require so much memory it's not even funny. Rendering over the surface of voxels = blech.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Heightmaps and other planetary data   Heightmaps and other planetary data EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 6:27 pm

*Takes out Vorpal sword and slays voxel*
Feel better now, Roadkill?

That's about as useful as I am for this thread, but the linked picture looked awesome.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Heightmaps and other planetary data   Heightmaps and other planetary data EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 8:00 pm

roadkillguy wrote:
We can potentially have overhangs, but that would be extremely complicated. A quadtree makes that impossible. We would have to make the planet out of voxels, but that would require so much memory it's not even funny. Rendering over the surface of voxels = blech.
oK. Just wondering if that would be too difficult. I can see how it would get complicated easily, given that you would then have two or three vertices on a ray going from the center out.
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: Heightmaps and other planetary data   Heightmaps and other planetary data EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 9:23 pm

Using that method, you would then have to somehow define which vertices were attached to which. Procedurally? Very difficult.

Using a voxel engine also often creates little floating pieces of terrain (just like in minecraft). Height maps should be sufficient.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Heightmaps and other planetary data   Heightmaps and other planetary data EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 10:06 pm

roadkillguy wrote:
Using that method, you would then have to somehow define which vertices were attached to which. Procedurally? Very difficult.

Using a voxel engine also often creates little floating pieces of terrain (just like in minecraft). Height maps should be sufficient.
That's what I'm trying to say, basically.
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: Heightmaps and other planetary data   Heightmaps and other planetary data EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 1:02 pm

Sweet. Just found this.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Heightmaps and other planetary data   Heightmaps and other planetary data EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 4:21 pm

roadkillguy wrote:
Sweet. Just found this.
That... Looks... Helpful...
*Gets to end, notices link*
It was used IN SPORE!!! RRAAAAAWWWRR!!!

Huff... Huff...

Anyway, I know Roadkill will be able to use it to make realistic planets, even if Maxis couldn't do that with a whole team of developers IN SPORE!!! RRAAAAAWWWRR!!!

Huffff...

So yes, this looks like it will do nicely, even if it was used in you-know-what. And it works with LOD!
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Heightmaps and other planetary data   Heightmaps and other planetary data EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 4:46 pm

Just read through it. It's pretty nice, but unfortunately unfinished - it does not have anything about texturing the landscape and so forth. Still extremly useful, though.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Heightmaps and other planetary data   Heightmaps and other planetary data EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 5:19 pm

roadkillguy wrote:
Sweet. Just found this.
Brilliant.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Heightmaps and other planetary data   Heightmaps and other planetary data EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 5:30 pm

This went over my head like a flying bowl of petunias, but the bit I understood was awesome.
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: Heightmaps and other planetary data   Heightmaps and other planetary data EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 6:43 pm

The Uteen wrote:
roadkillguy wrote:
Sweet. Just found this.

Huff... Huff...

Anyway, I know Roadkill will be able to use it to make realistic planets, even if Maxis couldn't do that with a whole team of developers IN SPORE!!! RRAAAAAWWWRR!!!

Huffff...

So yes, this looks like it will do nicely, even if it was used in you-know-what. And it works with LOD!

?? what are you talking about?
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Heightmaps and other planetary data   Heightmaps and other planetary data EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 11:44 am

It under references, a link to Maxis saying how they used this to make their planets. Not that they were any good of course.

I also mentioned my confidence in your abilities.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Heightmaps and other planetary data   Heightmaps and other planetary data EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 3:16 pm

The Uteen wrote:
It under references, a link to Maxis saying how they used this to make their planets. Not that they were any good of course.

I also mentioned my confidence in your abilities.
To quote the late Bashi, "Spore did a most of the technical stuff quite well, it was the gameplay that was the issue."

Now, in any case, I was wondering when you might be able to give me a rough estimate on our planets' scales? How much smaller than Earth will a purportedly Earth-sized world be? Just need the info for my work on Society Stage and the like.
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: Heightmaps and other planetary data   Heightmaps and other planetary data EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 3:36 pm

roadkillguy wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
roadkillguy wrote:
Sweet. Just found this.

Huff... Huff...

Huffff...

Ahh ok. There's basically no other way to do dynamic LOD on a sphere. Really the only thing that I got from that article is that normalizing the vertex coordinates of a cube is sufficient to space the vertices on a sphere. Please look that up. It's really basic vector stuff. This method is a lot better spacing wise than a traditional lat/lon sphere.

Regarding size of planets, I would say small ones would be spore sized, and large ones could be 10x bigger. That's my estimate (and goal) but we might be able to tweak them bigger. (It really just depends on performance) I'd love to add support for gas giants too, which wouldn't even need to use this spherical LOD, just a dynamic fog thing. They could be MUCH bigger, and we can still have hydrogen cores and stuff just for fun. I'll make stars, but because they don't have solid mountains they'll be traditional spheres with jets of flame that will melt your ship. Easy. In the future I'll add rings too.

So yeah [1-10]x spore planets is my goal. To keep things in the universe proportional, I might say that a planet the size of earth would have to be 2xspore. Really, I don't think it will matter because we'll be simulating life on these planets too.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Heightmaps and other planetary data   Heightmaps and other planetary data EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 3:46 pm

roadkillguy wrote:
Regarding size of planets, I would say small ones would be spore sized, and large ones could be 10x bigger. That's my estimate (and goal) but we might be able to tweak them bigger. (It really just depends on performance) I'd love to add support for gas giants too, which wouldn't even need to use this spherical LOD, just a dynamic fog thing. They could be MUCH bigger, and we can still have hydrogen cores and stuff just for fun. I'll make stars, but because they don't have solid mountains they'll be traditional spheres with jets of flame that will melt your ship. Easy. In the future I'll add rings too.

So yeah [1-10]x spore planets is my goal. To keep things in the universe proportional, I might say that a planet the size of earth would have to be 2xspore. Really, I don't think it will matter because we'll be simulating life on these planets too.
Okay, so there won't really be that much room for nations, and we'll need to call on careful planning and suspension of disbelief to make them work just right.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Heightmaps and other planetary data   Heightmaps and other planetary data EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 4:21 pm

roadkillguy wrote:
roadkillguy wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
roadkillguy wrote:
Sweet. Just found this.

Huff... Huff...

Huffff...

Ahh ok. There's basically no other way to do dynamic LOD on a sphere. Really the only thing that I got from that article is that normalizing the vertex coordinates of a cube is sufficient to space the vertices on a sphere. Please look that up. It's really basic vector stuff. This method is a lot better spacing wise than a traditional lat/lon sphere.

Regarding size of planets, I would say small ones would be spore sized, and large ones could be 10x bigger. That's my estimate (and goal) but we might be able to tweak them bigger. (It really just depends on performance)
Given gravitational forces, there has been a predicted limit to the size of rocky planets, which I shall go look up.

According to this paper (figure 4) the maximum size for a planet of earth-like composition is about 2.5x earth's radius, whereas the limit to the size of a planet that is a giant ball of ice is about 4x earth's radius. Any planet we work with will be limited to about 3.5 earth radii, but at that mass (possibly over 1000 times the mass of earth) complex multicellular life will be highly unlikely due to gravity

Back to that figure 4, we can see that the planets we're looking at will be the ones represented by red, green and dark blue lines.

Let's estimate the gravity on planets of different radii.

The volume of a planet with 1 earth radii is 4.1887
for a planet with 2 earth radii, it's 33.5103
for a planet with 3 earth radii, the volume is 113.0973

These numbers are maximums, and estimates, but they give us a good groundwork.
Size (earth radii)earth volumesmass (earth masses)density (compared to earth)gravity

So a planet 3x earth's radius could have as high as 7.8 gs, which would make life pretty difficult. So I'll cut off our planet size at about 2 earth radii, just so that we don't have to worry about extremely high gravity planets.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Heightmaps and other planetary data   Heightmaps and other planetary data EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 5:00 pm

Sorry for the double post, but what would the maximum resolution for terrain? Around 1m2?
Back to top Go down
Dr_Chillgood
Newcomer
Dr_Chillgood

PostSubject: Re: Heightmaps and other planetary data   Heightmaps and other planetary data EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 7:36 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Sorry for the double post, but what would the maximum resolution for terrain? Around 1m2?

If we end up using space engine we should be able to do that (see third paragraph):
http://spaceengine.ucoz.ru/blog/detail_textures_on_planets/2011-07-30-1
Back to top Go down
ido66667
Regular
ido66667

PostSubject: Re: Heightmaps and other planetary data   Heightmaps and other planetary data EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 7:49 pm

Dr_Chillgood wrote:
~sciocont wrote:

If we end up using space engine we should be able to do that (see third paragraph):
http://spaceengine.ucoz.ru/blog/detail_textures_on_planets/2011-07-30-1

Yes It will help us

BTW
I just Opened A topic About Making Textures LOL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heightmaps and other planetary data   Heightmaps and other planetary data Empty

Back to top Go down

Heightmaps and other planetary data
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next