Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Planetary Scales Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Planetary Scales Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Planetary Scales Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Planetary Scales Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Planetary Scales Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Planetary Scales Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Planetary Scales Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Planetary Scales Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Planetary Scales Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Planetary Scales Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Planetary Scales Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Planetary Scales Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Planetary Scales Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Planetary Scales Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Planetary Scales Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Planetary Scales Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Planetary Scales Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Planetary Scales Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Planetary Scales Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Planetary Scales Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Planetary Scales

Go down 
+12
EvoSim
GamerXA
Mysterious_Calligrapher
tklarenb
roadkillguy
bill2505
Commander Keen
eumesmo
The Uteen
~sciocont
ido66667
Tenebrarum
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Planetary Scales Empty
PostSubject: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 10:31 pm

Right, so, I'm trying to work out a couple of kinks in regards to Society Stage and the development of nations, and I've hit a bit of an issue.

Thanks to roadkillguy, we now have a ballpark guesstimate that an "Earth sized planet" should be roughly two times the size of a Spore homeworld.

Now, unlike other games, I haven't been able to find much of any information on the actual size of a Spore world. I tried to work it out myself, but an accursed mental roadblock has been repeatedly punching me in the face whenever I try to do so. If one of you could help me out with this, I'd be very grateful.

Beyond that, I'd greatly appreciate some ballpark guesses for the sizes of biomes too. This is something we'll need to play around with, lest they get so small you can see the entire thing while at ground level, or so large that a third of your planet ends up being the same Belgium biome. (Although sometimes these would happen... :S)

Once we can predict these sizes, than it should be significantly easier for me to give you guys some better info on how far apart nations will need to spawn and how fast they should be able to grow.
Back to top Go down
ido66667
Regular
ido66667

Planetary Scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 6:12 am

This can Help: http://forum.spore.com/jforum/posts/list/46894.page
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Planetary Scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 11:39 am

Wow those forums are dead now.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Planetary Scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 12:09 pm

ido66667 wrote:
This can Help: http://forum.spore.com/jforum/posts/list/46894.page

What I learn from this is...

Spore has either very big creatures or very small planets. Probably small planets. Bad luck for Forest Gump the giant runner. Anyone fancy making a meter stick and measuring a Spore planet then?
Other than that, there's not much we can do. Except ask EA/Maxis. They've probably forgotten what Spore is, though.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Planetary Scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 12:35 pm

Thanks idostringofnumbers. According to that thread, the average spore home-world should be two miles in diameter.

Now, if we could manage to squeeze out ten or more square miles of surface area, we should be in a comfortable position for the society stages. Of course, the bigger the better though.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Planetary Scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 11:36 am

Tenebrarum wrote:
Thanks idostringofnumbers. According to that thread, the average spore home-world should be two miles in diameter.

Now, if we could manage to squeeze out ten or more square miles of surface area, we should be in a comfortable position for the society stages. Of course, the bigger the better though.

Ideally, it should be big enough that you don't notice the curvature of the planet until late in the modern era, or else you'd wonder why your aliens need to study the curvature of their planet when it is plainly visible. In Spore it is visible in the tribal stage; when they should believe they are on a pretty much flat world, they will probably already be going on morning walks round the planet.

In short, the size of the planet should at least be big enough that you won't find stunt-cars in colliding with aeroplanes because the ramp was a bit too high. If it had vehicles that could go any faster than 20 mph, that would probably be the case in Spore. And in case your wondering, stunt-cars don't collide with planes very often in real life.

That wasn't really much shorter, but oh well.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Planetary Scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 4:15 pm

The Uteen wrote:
Ideally, it should be big enough that you don't notice the curvature of the planet until late in the modern era, or else you'd wonder why your aliens need to study the curvature of their planet when it is plainly visible. In Spore it is visible in the tribal stage; when they should believe they are on a pretty much flat world, they will probably already be going on morning walks round the planet.

In short, the size of the planet should at least be big enough that you won't find stunt-cars in colliding with aeroplanes because the ramp was a bit too high. If it had vehicles that could go any faster than 20 mph, that would probably be the case in Spore. And in case your wondering, stunt-cars don't collide with planes very often in real life.

That wasn't really much shorter, but oh well.

I was thinking we want to be able to have borders that are large enough to contain more than one city, without shrinking the cities to four buildings large.

Quick note on that though, even on Earth the curvature is plainly visible. We've known about it for as long as we've had written language, really. So long as you have an open space big enough to see the horizon unobstructed, (In most cases we used the sea) you can figure it out. The Greeks actually compensated for it in some of their architecture. That's why the Acropolis looks almost weirdly square.

Back on topic, I want to see how big I can make nations and towns. Their easy enough to shrink, but the more we do so, the more we sacrifice weight to the setting.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Planetary Scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 12:16 pm

Why not just make them Earth size?

If the file size is the problem, we could always have a slider at the start for how big the planets are... Then we won't find ourselves too out-of-date when the average computer has about 10 terabytes of storage. And it means people with tons of storage space won't be kept from using it by the averages.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Planetary Scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 7:02 pm

The Uteen wrote:
Why not just make them Earth size?

If the file size is the problem, we could always have a slider at the start for how big the planets are... Then we won't find ourselves too out-of-date when the average computer has about 10 terabytes of storage. And it means people with tons of storage space won't be kept from using it by the averages.
We can really make them any size, it just comes down to the resolution of the polygons on the surface. Once we know the maximum resolution for those, we can know how large we can make planets safely.
Back to top Go down
eumesmo
Regular
eumesmo

Planetary Scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 7:03 pm

There's no real limit... we could just simply shape the major points or reference and then when we get down to the spot, the terrain details could be made on the fly ( and discarded when you leavefor unexplored/far away/other planets)?
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Planetary Scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 8:02 pm

So I ran some numbers, and it turns out that a planet with a 4 mile diameter (Twice the size of Spore) will give us 50 square miles of surface area.

That's a fair amount, but unfortunately water reduces that significantly. In Thrive, Earth would have only 15 square miles of landmass.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Planetary Scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 9:53 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
So I ran some numbers, and it turns out that a planet with a 4 mile diameter (Twice the size of Spore) will give us 50 square miles of surface area.

That's a fair amount, but unfortunately water reduces that significantly. In Thrive, Earth would have only 15 square miles of landmass.
Like I said, the real question is how many polygons we can make a planet out of.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Planetary Scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 7:33 am

~sciocont wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:

Like I said, the real question is how many polygons we can make a planet out of.
I think it depends how much hard disk we can afford to use; as we make the planets bigger, we can make the space between the planets proportionally bigger, giving us more time to load the details as the player approaches, so I don't think that's too much of a problem.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

Planetary Scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 12:15 pm

Not really, Uteen. The problem is not the speed of loading the details, it's holding the details in the memory.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Planetary Scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 1:27 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
Not really, Uteen. The problem is not the speed of loading the details, it's holding the details in the memory.
There's that too... LOD slider? Lots of games have them.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

Planetary Scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 2:17 pm

That only applies for creature and prop models. You can't meddle with the terrain much because it has to keep it's shape.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Planetary Scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 5:50 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
That only applies for creature and prop models. You can't meddle with the terrain much because it has to keep it's shape.
In addition, we're talking about just plain old scale too. In a perfect world, we'll be able to go from controlling interplanetary logistics to arranging flowers on your desk back on the homeworld with a press of a button. Now being able to do that isn't the issue, the issue is being able to spend an hour arranging flowers, and have those flowers stay where you put them. Think about the worlds in any of the big-name Bethesda games, (Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim, etc.) even with such a big world, that corpse you left will stay there, exactly where you put it, for all eternity. That takes up more memory than it has any right to, so we have to find a solution.

The one we're kicking around here is smaller planets. This is a necessity anyways, as no one has the memory to fit over a hundred accurately scaled planets on their compy. However, we can shrink the worlds to something more manageable.

At the same time, we could reduce their number. Playing on only a few worlds would let them be bigger, but may or may not want to make late-game players want to kill themselves.

We could also do what Spore does and have all games take place in the same Galaxy, making their actions constant, although then we have the awkward question of alternating time scales (playing for "millions of years" in Aware stage and just hours in Space would be odd. Especially if you visit a race of yours in Space stage, then continue it and get it to the same technological level, all of which would happen within a few years by your first race's standards.) and how your own race would act, as even the best AI cannot hope to accurately mimic this kind of human behavior.

As Bashi would say, we'll likely need to combine many of these solutions, rather than use one exclusively.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Planetary Scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales EmptyFri Nov 25, 2011 9:16 pm

I'm all for a one-galaxy game.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Planetary Scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 7:11 am

~sciocont wrote:
QFT, one galaxy is fine.

I doubt they’d finish exploring the galaxy before they get the ability to make new solar systems. Then they can just make more as they want them anyway. Sort of kills off the exploration theme, but by post-ascension the theme has become creation anyway. I expect the theme will change as the game progresses, there will be many before space-travel’s theme of exploration too. Notably evolution.

Tenebrarum wrote:
The one we're kicking around here is smaller planets. Kicking around smaller planets? They must be smaller. This is a necessity anyways, as no one has the memory to fit over a hundred accurately scaled planets on their compy. However, we can shrink the worlds to something more manageable. Which may make earlier-game players want to kill themselves. Spore could probably have been a bit better with bigger planets, even if it is at expense of a smaller galaxy. I never explored the whole galaxy, but I was very annoyed at the planets. There will be a balance of planet size and galaxy size, but I think we need to wait until we can actually test out how it feels before we can judge how to get it.

At the same time, we could reduce their number. Playing on only a few worlds would let them be bigger, but may or may not want to make late-game players want to kill themselves.
Back to top Go down
bill2505
Learner

Planetary Scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 2:54 pm

The Uteen wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
QFT, one galaxy is fine.

I doubt they’d finish exploring the galaxy before they get the ability to make new solar systems. Then they can just make more as they want them anyway. Sort of kills off the exploration theme, but by post-ascension the theme has become creation anyway. I expect the theme will change as the game progresses, there will be many before space-travel’s theme of exploration too. Notably evolution.

Tenebrarum wrote:
The one we're kicking around here is smaller planets. Kicking around smaller planets? They must be smaller. This is a necessity anyways, as no one has the memory to fit over a hundred accurately scaled planets on their compy. However, we can shrink the worlds to something more manageable. Which may make earlier-game players want to kill themselves. Spore could probably have been a bit better with bigger planets, even if it is at expense of a smaller galaxy. I never explored the whole galaxy, but I was very annoyed at the planets. There will be a balance of planet size and galaxy size, but I think we need to wait until we can actually test out how it feels before we can judge how to get it.

ok but dont make them too small like spore.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Planetary Scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 3:11 pm

bill2505 wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
QFT, one galaxy is fine.

Tenebrarum wrote:

ok but dont make them too small like spore.
Oh, forget it. Forums fail to communicate how I said that... They must be smaller for the previous to be true.

[/jokefail]

No, I would prefer them to be much bigger than Spore's planets.
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

Planetary Scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 7:46 pm

I don't think you guys are understanding what the SIZE of a planet really means.

It's all relative.

Say you had a planet with 0 resolution. What would it be? A cube. We can make this cube as big as we friggin' want. It can be bigger than the sun, it can be smaller than a fist. It really just depends on how big everything else is relative to it. Just because the cube is big, doesn't mean it will render slow, or that the game will somehow go slow. It's just big.

If we made the highest resolution (I.E. what the ground looks like when you're right above it) one square per meter, now we have a conversion factor. Size of the planet now plays a role in how detailed the terrain is. More detail = more hard drive space. I demonstrated this and more math in the other planetary size thread.

How many celestial bodies do you plan on exploring?
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Planetary Scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 11:45 am

roadkillguy wrote:
I don't think you guys are understanding what the SIZE of a planet really means.

It's all relative.

Say you had a planet with 0 resolution. What would it be? A cube. We can make this cube as big as we friggin' want. It can be bigger than the sun, it can be smaller than a fist. It really just depends on how big everything else is relative to it. Just because the cube is big, doesn't mean it will render slow, or that the game will somehow go slow. It's just big.

If we made the highest resolution (I.E. what the ground looks like when you're right above it) one square per meter, now we have a conversion factor. Size of the planet now plays a role in how detailed the terrain is. More detail = more hard drive space. I demonstrated this and more math in the other planetary size thread.

I was under the impression we were talking about size as in the depth of the detail, so if it was big the creatures could be very small compared to the planet, but there would still be enough detail for the textures not to look like an arrangement of large fields, and vice-versa. Now I’m just confused. Sorry.

And in answer to the question… As long as the total number of bodies is around the same as in Spore, I’ll never be able to visit them all. Really, I’d prefer the planets didn’t take about 5 seconds to completely explore than having a galaxy any bigger than Spore’s. Sorry for talking about Spore so much, but other than that I don’t really have any reference. Reality’s no good, Earth is way to much smaller than the galaxy for that to be worth playing.
Back to top Go down
bill2505
Learner

Planetary Scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 1:47 pm

The Uteen wrote:
roadkillguy wrote:

It's all relative.

I was under the impression we were talking about size as in the depth of the detail, so if it was big the creatures could be very small compared to the planet, but there would still be enough detail for the textures not to look like an arrangement of large fields, and vice-versa. Now I’m just confused. Sorry.

And in answer to the question… As long as the total number of bodies is around the same as in Spore, I’ll never be able to visit them all. Really, I’d prefer the planets didn’t take about 5 seconds to completely explore than having a galaxy any bigger than Spore’s. Sorry for talking about Spore so much, but other than that I don’t really have any reference. Reality’s no good, Earth is way to much smaller than the galaxy for that to be worth playing.
i agree .what a clever one would prefer
milions of planets but with a size that you need 10 minutes to expore them or 1000 planets(just an example) but very big that will take you the least one hour just to explore them(maybe more)
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Planetary Scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 5:08 pm

roadkillguy wrote:

It's all relative.

That's actually my point.

The way our gameplay is laid out forces us to give planets enough detail that organisms can be directly controlled for extended periods. For an example, I'd say about as much detail (or a little less) as was used in the original Mount and Blade. For your sake, don't worry about that. That's the ultimate, final quality I'm shooting for, not a current request. If that's impossible, please tell me.

What I'm trying to work out is how much room I'm to be given to make my Nations and SCs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Planetary Scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Planetary Scales   Planetary Scales Empty

Back to top Go down

Planetary Scales
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next