Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE

Go down 
+21
WJacobC
TheFellowWithTheHat
Inca
AquerPL
Shamanic W0lf
gvd72
Noone
masternetra
Mixotroph
zippybomb
Grep42
Doggit
MeowMan1
Halowraith1
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Reign Dance
Tenebrarum
Sentient_Cats
The Uteen
roadkillguy
~sciocont
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Grep42
Newcomer
Grep42

THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE   THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 1:47 pm

Wonderful! Wonderful!!! WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can't beleive it's getting done so soon. I've been stalking the microbe stage section, and all your ideas sound great. I can't wait!
Back to top Go down
zippybomb
Newcomer
zippybomb

PostSubject: Just a question   THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 7:12 pm

In the god tools thing will geologic things affect weather? Like where I live in Vancouver the coastal mountains cause it to rain 24/7 and we have a temperate rainforest. Then on the other side there's a rain shadow and it's Canada's only desert. Stuff like that would be cool. Also, a warm ocean current in the winter and an arctic current in the summer mean we have a mild climate with a fairly warm winter (canadian standards) and a cool summer. Ocean currents could be really cool. Also, will you be able to fly? and how is that going to work? Sorry if some of these questions have already been asked.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE   THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 12:48 pm

The FAQ thread seems to have become a clone of the Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions Etc. thread... Aren't general (i.e. not frequently asked) questions classed as off topic in this thread? Wait, was that question I just asked off topic? Well, that second one was. Oh dear...

zippybomb wrote:
In the god tools thing will geologic things affect weather? Like where I live in Vancouver the coastal mountains cause it to rain 24/7 and we have a temperate rainforest. Then on the other side there's a rain shadow and it's Canada's only desert. Stuff like that would be cool. Also, a warm ocean current in the winter and an arctic current in the summer mean we have a mild climate with a fairly warm winter (canadian standards) and a cool summer. Ocean currents could be really cool. Also, will you be able to fly? and how is that going to work? Sorry if some of these questions have already been asked.

Flying is possible, and it will work excellently, we have flying controls in the controls thread.

As for climate... Maybe; I shall join you in awaiting the answer for this one.

Last edited by The Uteen on Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE   THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 10:41 pm

As long as new threads aren't starting for every question, I don't care whether it's in the FAQ or Misc thread.
Back to top Go down
Mixotroph
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE   THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 9:41 pm

How will planets be generated?
Back to top Go down
masternetra
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE   THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 1:59 pm

A couple questions actually.

I understand that given the phyics of things that it would not be possible to create a aquatic civilization, but would it be possible to have "creature" that is purely aquatic even though it would never develop tech (unless it became amphious and went onto land and moved on there)?

Also will it be possible to do animal/ plant-like hybrids. While none may have developed on earth I don't see why its not a possible scenerio or even have mobile plants (once photosynthesis has been advanced far enough to support such activities)?
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE   THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 2:11 pm

masternetra wrote:

I understand that given the phyics of things that it would not be possible to create a aquatic civilization, but would it be possible to have "creature" that is purely aquatic even though it would never develop tech (unless it became amphious and went onto land and moved on there)?

Also will it be possible to do animal/ plant-like hybrids. While none may have developed on earth I don't see why its not a possible scenerio or even have mobile plants (once photosynthesis has been advanced far enough to support such activities)?
Yes, an aquatic creature is entirely possible.

It will be possible to have hybrids, although I don't think photosynthesis alone would be enough for an activity like walking, except maybe for brief periods. The Organism Editor (link to the concept on the bar to the left, for reference) contains both plant and animal parts, allowing them to be used together in all sorts of ways, if desired.
Back to top Go down
masternetra
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE   THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 2:36 pm

The Uteen wrote:
masternetra wrote:

Yes, an aquatic creature is entirely possible.

It will be possible to have hybrids, although I don't think photosynthesis alone would be enough for an activity like walking, except maybe for brief periods. The Organism Editor (link to the concept on the bar to the left, for reference) contains both plant and animal parts, allowing them to be used together in all sorts of ways, if desired.

Agreed, starting off for photosynthesis only, movement would be slow, but as the species' continues to evolve their photosyntheic abilities, increasing energy gains, they're movements would be more often and quicker also some form a brain would need to be evolved, increasing as photosynthesis develops further. The evolution would of course would be slower then its animal counterparts due to the need to advance photosynthesis further to support animal-like acitivites. But would love to advance a plant species into civilization. I also think their could be some form of a internal cavity to store "richer soils"/dung and water for the plant's travels so that it doesn't have to spend periods of time with its roots dipped into soil, which it would probably have to start off doing until it develops this cavity.
Back to top Go down
Noone
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE   THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 6:18 am

how to get special acess to forums so i can post new threads?
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE   THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 10:14 am

dimasciene wrote:
how to get special acess to forums so i can post new threads?
I'm pretty sure that's an anti-spam thing. If so, once you've made a few helpful posts around the forums, you should be able to. For now, you can try looking for existing threads on the topic, or if you can't find one, asking about it either in this thread or the Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE   THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 3:20 pm

I think the FAQ needs to elaborate on this point:

Q: Why do we use Belgium, instead of ‘****’, ‘Bugger’, ‘Kuso’, ‘D'arvit’, or ‘Smeg’?
Spoiler:

I don't think this point was made clear enough, or makes enough references.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE   THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 5:42 pm

The Uteen wrote:
I think the FAQ needs to elaborate on this point:

Q: Why do we use Belgium, instead of ‘****’, ‘Bugger’, ‘Kuso’, ‘D'arvit’, or ‘Smeg’?
Spoiler:

I don't think this point was made clear enough, or makes enough references.
Points for the Colfer reference.
Back to top Go down
masternetra
Newcomer

PostSubject: A Linux Compliation of the cell editor?   THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 1:46 pm

I use Ubuntu and I was wondering if you have a .deb or something for linux for the cell editor?
Back to top Go down
gvd72
Newcomer
gvd72

PostSubject: Re: THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE   THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 2:14 pm

The Uteen wrote:
roadkillguy wrote:
On creating elements

I actually believe this should be possible. The biome system is based on compounds, and technically for development we will be experimenting with these compounds until life arises, no? I see no reason why a sapient race shouldn't be able to introduce "new" compounds into an environment just to mess with it.

In order to do anything, however, the compound must have some defined reactions with others otherwise it would be no fun!

Just my two cents.
Using some existing substances (not all gazillion of them) would be okay, I think the point is we can’t create new elements because they all have been discovered*, and so know any other is impossible. Simulating all the discovered elements would inherently mean programming pretty much all of known physics into the game. Using predefined substances means we can define how they work, and so avoid going over the top with how much we’re asking the computer to do. Note the question does say 'can I make new (as in, non-existent/fantastical) elements & compounds’. We can still define the major properties of a few existing ones, including reactions.

*Well, predicted, but through very, very intelligent predictions. The only reason they aren’t all discovered is because making them would be a waste of time because we know** they exist and don’t really need them.

**Are very, very, very, very, very, very certain.

How about making a new mineral or metal?
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE   THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 11:28 am

If something is pre-programmed into the compound system, it can be made. To be explicitly be programmed into the game, we much have prior knowledge of the material in question. Therefore, it is quite impossible for the player to create a truly new material, of any kind. However, of materials new to them personally, they can make as many as get included in the compound system.

Feel free to read more about the compound system in the thread going by the same name: Compound system.

I just can't get into the mood to rant today.
Back to top Go down
masternetra
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE   THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 1:54 pm

No answer for my question? (small post above gvd72's post)
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE   THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 12:29 pm

masternetra wrote:
Firstly, we don't have a cell editor yet. I think we're aiming to get the engine and gameplay done before that.

I'm not a programmer, but I'm pretty sure the current code for Thrive is multiplatform. There is a code repository, which people could use to compile their own versions, but I'm not sure where it can be found, and I don't think there are any download links to prototypes for Linux on the forums.
Back to top Go down
masternetra
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE   THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 1:14 pm

The Uteen wrote:
masternetra wrote:
Firstly, we don't have a cell editor yet. I think we're aiming to get the engine and gameplay done before that.

I'm not a programmer, but I'm pretty sure the current code for Thrive is multiplatform. There is a code repository, which people could use to compile their own versions, but I'm not sure where it can be found, and I don't think there are any download links to prototypes for Linux on the forums.

I'm referring to the cell editor prototype here: http://www.moddb.com/games/thrive/downloads
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE   THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 2:20 pm

masternetra wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
masternetra wrote:

I'm referring to the cell editor prototype here: http://www.moddb.com/games/thrive/downloads
Ah… I had forgotten about that. I don't think that will be used in the final game, since it would probably be easier to make a new one. Being from 2010, I don't think a Linux version will be made for it if there isn't one already.
Back to top Go down
masternetra
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE   THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 2:27 pm

The Uteen wrote:
masternetra wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
masternetra wrote:

Ah… I had forgotten about that. I don't think that will be used in the final game, since it would probably be easier to make a new one. Being from 2010, I don't think a Linux version will be made for it if there isn't one already.

Ah well when the first release happens you could also notify getdeb.net they're a third party repo that trys to collect as much sources as they can, kinda trying to be a one stop shop type of thing.
Back to top Go down
Shamanic W0lf
Newcomer
Shamanic W0lf

PostSubject: Re: THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE   THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 11:06 am

I just figured out this game existed yesterday and I'm willing to say, I tip my staff in both honor and respect to the people making this dream of a game. Good luck to you guys and We will follow you to the final end.8) 
Back to top Go down
AquerPL

AquerPL

PostSubject: Re: THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE   THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 7:22 pm

Hello everyone !
My name is Wojtek and this is my first post.
I am from Poland,and i'm 15.
Thrive...project that I want to involved!
I want to open channel at YouTube "ThrivePolska".
This channel will be advert Thrive Project...in Polish.
What are u thinking about it guys?
Regular
Inca

PostSubject: Re: THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE   THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 9:39 pm

I'd wait until your a bit more familiar with Thrive before that, but eventually I don't see why you couldn't do that. Welcome btw.
Back to top Go down
http://soundcloud.com/inca_uk
TheFellowWithTheHat
Newcomer
TheFellowWithTheHat

PostSubject: Re: THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE   THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 27, 2013 11:24 am

Have you ever heard of NerdCubed?

He is a man on YouTube who appreciated SPORE, but think it lacked a great deal. He has a Twitter account that he usually replies to everything, if you show him you concept, he may announce it to the over 900,000 people subscribed to him.

My idea is perhaps ~sciocont (Assuming he has a Twitter account) or another team lead could tell Dan (NerdCubed) about the idea, and he gets excited about it and may even join the forum. It is wishful thinking, I know, but he's not like some other typical YouTubers who join YouTube for money, he joined YouTube to make people laugh. He has almost reached over one-million subscribers, and I just figured it may be a good idea to get a large channel like his to recognize the Thrive Project.

Possible Repercussions:

-He may not reply.

-You may get too many people than you may handle joining the site.

-He may not announce it at all.

-You might not even have Twitter accounts.

It is a very slim chance, but if you want to get Thrive noticed, it's the best way. The YouTube channel of Thrive, from what I've seen, isn't getting noticed very much. If you have a larger channel, then you may get noticed a bit better.

I hope this suggestion helps you.
Back to top Go down
Inca
Regular
Inca

PostSubject: Re: THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE   THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 27, 2013 11:52 am

Could be an option to boost our ranks. I'd wait to see what some of the higher ups say before committing to this though. Might require alot of organisation, but we could get some new programmers in, which we always need.
Back to top Go down
http://soundcloud.com/inca_uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE   THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next