Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
A cool idea of mine Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
A cool idea of mine Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
A cool idea of mine Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
A cool idea of mine Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
A cool idea of mine Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
A cool idea of mine Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
A cool idea of mine Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
A cool idea of mine Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
A cool idea of mine Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
A cool idea of mine Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
A cool idea of mine Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
A cool idea of mine Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
A cool idea of mine Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
A cool idea of mine Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
A cool idea of mine Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
A cool idea of mine Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
A cool idea of mine Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
A cool idea of mine Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
A cool idea of mine Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
A cool idea of mine Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

A cool idea of mine

Go down 
+2
Theusfilipe
Theslimy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Theslimy
Newcomer
Theslimy

A cool idea of mine Empty
PostSubject: A cool idea of mine   A cool idea of mine EmptyMon May 07, 2012 6:25 pm

Hello! another idea! want to hear it? no? OK ill tell it to you anyway!

If you built a creature like a lizard that could detach its own tail! and it writhes around on the floor and distracts the predator! after a while the tail regenerates.

leave me a reply if you like it!
Back to top Go down
Theusfilipe
Newcomer
Theusfilipe

PostSubject: Re: A cool idea of mine   A cool idea of mine EmptyMon May 07, 2012 7:14 pm

I think it's a nice idea. Sea-Stars, octupuses and other organisms do have regeneration, cells too. I don't think it is too complicated to add early.

Ps: I think this topic is on the wrong place.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: A cool idea of mine   A cool idea of mine EmptyMon May 07, 2012 7:40 pm

Probably.
I dont' know how we could code it, but regeneration is a definite advantage, evolutionarily speaking.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: A cool idea of mine   A cool idea of mine EmptyTue May 08, 2012 5:48 pm

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
Probably.
I dont' know how we could code it, but regeneration is a definite advantage, evolutionarily speaking.
It is, but regrowing takes up a lot of energy.
Back to top Go down
Theslimy
Newcomer
Theslimy

PostSubject: Re: A cool idea of mine   A cool idea of mine EmptyTue May 08, 2012 6:41 pm

That is why lizards eat a lot, right?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: A cool idea of mine   A cool idea of mine EmptyTue May 08, 2012 10:35 pm

Theslimy wrote:
No, actually, lizards, being ectoderms require relatively little food since their metabolism is environment-dependent.
Back to top Go down
MeowMan1
Regular
MeowMan1

PostSubject: Re: A cool idea of mine   A cool idea of mine EmptyWed May 09, 2012 5:54 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Theslimy wrote:
No, actually, lizards, being ectoderms require relatively little food since their metabolism is environment-dependent.
WHOA. very good answer sciocont, lol I'm one to judge good answers....Here You know what, I might be able to find some programmers and coders, I have My ways,: #1 the internet #2 My family....YUP!
Back to top Go down
Theusfilipe
Newcomer
Theusfilipe

PostSubject: Re: A cool idea of mine   A cool idea of mine EmptyWed May 09, 2012 8:00 pm

So. hum... regeneration should take a certain amount of energy.
So it would disturb evolution process or it would give the creature or cell hunger?
How would that be added? I don't think it is considered a organ matter but a cell characteristic. Each cell or certain cells of the supposed reptile can regenarete.

Back to top Go down
Theslimy
Newcomer
Theslimy

PostSubject: Re: A cool idea of mine   A cool idea of mine EmptyWed May 09, 2012 8:12 pm

I have no idea.. I'm not a Giant-brained person. especially when it comes to Really big science that I haven't learned in school yet. But! energy comes from other places, not just food. in the plant's case, most energy comes from sunlight. (i think)
Back to top Go down
Theusfilipe
Newcomer
Theusfilipe

PostSubject: Re: A cool idea of mine   A cool idea of mine EmptyWed May 09, 2012 8:32 pm

Energy comes from sugar (don't know the translation again) so yes... now that I think of it it would make sense for the creature have more hunger...

Plants produce their food, thus their energy.
I actualy made that question because I don't remember where I saw in the forum that evolution would require energy.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: A cool idea of mine   A cool idea of mine EmptyWed May 09, 2012 10:33 pm

Since an amputation affects the individual, regrowth makes them require more food.
Back to top Go down
Kraeken
Newcomer
Kraeken

PostSubject: Re: A cool idea of mine   A cool idea of mine EmptyThu May 10, 2012 1:35 am

This may belong in organ design or somewhere else but I'll post here just for the Belgium of it. Regeneration is the ability of an organism to replace lost or damaged parts. Regeneration in creatures with specialized cells and tissues goes in a few steps: immediately after the wound the cells left form something of a wall, swelling to prevent escape or entry. They then "dedifferentiate" forming an equivelant of stem cells which then divide and grow until they take up the space where the tissue used to exist and then redifferentiate back into the (more or less) specialized organs. Not all creatures can regenerate this way and it's highly energy expensive to do all that. Newts are a model organism for regeneration, they can grow back even their tiny little hearts and spinal cords. Most organisms just don't have this though. For most, an injury that severe is too much and they die immediately (hard to evolve to survive decapitation, being torn in half, etc) like many flatworms which have X number of cells which never divide, despite being mega simple. The opposite is true in complex organisms where it's just infeasible to carry the genetic information for every type of cell, in every cell. Hence the use of generic scar tissue for filling up wounds in humans. Point is, regeneration is expensive in terms of evolution and use but could pry just be handled in the OE as a property of all cells in the organism, or as specialized organs rebuilding the others. Both could be used.
Back to top Go down
Theslimy
Newcomer
Theslimy

PostSubject: Re: A cool idea of mine   A cool idea of mine EmptyThu May 10, 2012 4:46 pm

Kraeken wrote:
This may belong in organ design or somewhere else but I'll post here just for the Belgium of it. Regeneration is the ability of an organism to replace lost or damaged parts. Regeneration in creatures with specialized cells and tissues goes in a few steps: immediately after the wound the cells left form something of a wall, swelling to prevent escape or entry. They then "dedifferentiate" forming an equivelant of stem cells which then divide and grow until they take up the space where the tissue used to exist and then redifferentiate back into the (more or less) specialized organs. Not all creatures can regenerate this way and it's highly energy expensive to do all that. Newts are a model organism for regeneration, they can grow back even their tiny little hearts and spinal cords. Most organisms just don't have this though. For most, an injury that severe is too much and they die immediately (hard to evolve to survive decapitation, being torn in half, etc) like many flatworms which have X number of cells which never divide, despite being mega simple. The opposite is true in complex organisms where it's just infeasible to carry the genetic information for every type of cell, in every cell. Hence the use of generic scar tissue for filling up wounds in humans. Point is, regeneration is expensive in terms of evolution and use but could pry just be handled in the OE as a property of all cells in the organism, or as specialized organs rebuilding the others. Both could be used.

Wow! thanks for all the info! I never knew that a newt could regenerate such important parts!
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: A cool idea of mine   A cool idea of mine EmptyThu May 10, 2012 6:33 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Since an amputation affects the individual, regrowth makes them require more food.

In the case of regrowth, we need creatures or parts that are also not too neurologically complex - for example, a Starfish can regrow from any part of it's central neural ring, but many tail-detatching lizards cannot regrow legs. And we need things without hyperactive metabolisms, like birds and mammals.

Edit: Excellent infodump, Kraeken.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: A cool idea of mine   A cool idea of mine EmptyThu May 10, 2012 10:15 pm

~sciocont wrote:

In the case of regrowth, we need creatures or parts that are also not too neurologically complex - for example, a Starfish can regrow from any part of it's central neural ring, but many tail-detatching lizards cannot regrow legs. And we need things without hyperactive metabolisms, like birds and mammals.

Edit: Excellent infodump, Kraeken.
We needn't necessarily limit by metabolism. And well done, Kraeken. The only flaw there was that animals do carry all of the genetic information for every cell in their body in each individual cell, with a few exceptions such as gonadal cells and red blood cells.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: A cool idea of mine   A cool idea of mine EmptyFri May 11, 2012 3:14 pm

~sciocont wrote:
We needn't necessarily limit by metabolism. And well done, Kraeken. The only flaw there was that animals do carry all of the genetic information for every cell in their body in each individual cell, with a few exceptions such as gonadal cells and red blood cells.

You're right: neural complexity is probably more important.
Back to top Go down
MeowMan1
Regular
MeowMan1

PostSubject: Re: A cool idea of mine   A cool idea of mine EmptySun May 13, 2012 11:58 am

~sciocont wrote:

You're right: neural complexity is probably more important.
I don't have that knowledge, just wanted to say as far as I can come up with that is very true. You do mean relating to the nervous sysytem by neural, correct?
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: A cool idea of mine   A cool idea of mine EmptySun May 13, 2012 12:00 pm

Yup.
Back to top Go down
MeowMan1
Regular
MeowMan1

PostSubject: Re: A cool idea of mine   A cool idea of mine EmptySun May 13, 2012 1:16 pm

Would You say that a nervous system is more important than eyes?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: A cool idea of mine   A cool idea of mine EmptySun May 13, 2012 3:04 pm

MeowMan1 wrote:
Of course. Eyes are an extension of an already existing nervous system. Eyes pick up a certain type of signal, but the nervous system deals with almost every signal that the body can handle.
Back to top Go down
MeowMan1
Regular
MeowMan1

PostSubject: Re: A cool idea of mine   A cool idea of mine EmptySun May 13, 2012 4:10 pm

~sciocont wrote:
MeowMan1 wrote:
Of course. Eyes are an extension of an already existing nervous system. Eyes pick up a certain type of signal, but the nervous system deals with almost every signal that the body can handle.
mm hmm, just wondering if You already knew that, I looked it up a few days ago before My computer got all wierd.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A cool idea of mine   A cool idea of mine Empty

Back to top Go down

A cool idea of mine
Page 1 of 1